Tennessee Tuxedo - Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store

No picture uploaded.

Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-14-2011)
4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

wrightst, Jul 11, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Got this at a recent tasting that was held. QT size bottle...

A: A dark black with faint red highlights around the edges. A nice 1 inch tan head that fades slowly and never completely goes away. A nice frothy lace atop the brew. Good.

S: I get a faint roastiness with a hint of raisin upfront, some interesting scents in the middle, assuming from the whiskey barrels. Some mild vanilla on the back. Decent.

T: Hmm, I think the whiskey barrels are a little too much here. I get a huge whiskey wall upfront blended with some vanilla and chocolate notes. Some mild raisin on the back which is drowned, again, by more whiskey. Eh, the whiskey is overkill here.

M: Medium body with a great carbonation. A dry whiskey finish. Decent.

O: All in all, if you like a heavy whiskey flavor, then this is your stout, otherwise, don't worry about this one. It sounded better than it turned out to be.

steve8robin, Nov 05, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

From 06/18/11 notes. Had on tap at Franklin's.

a - Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, and maybe light oak/wood. Not getting any whiskey at all, but I still enjoy the nose.

t - Tastes of chocolate, roasted malts, sweet dark fruits, oak, toasted malts. Again, no whiskey, though I enjoy it. Very sweet tasting from the fruit.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one, but I didn't get any whiskey at all. I was pleasantly surprised to see a barrel aged stout on the tap list, but it seemed more like a normal stout to me. That being said, it tasted pretty good, and it was nice to see a 7% stout on the list; very drinkable. Would order it again.

mdfb79, Jun 20, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will agree with some of of the other reviewers the beer was served a bit to cold. The texture is very smooth with a soft finish, the sweetness of the jack daniels balances nicely with the stout flavor. The color is a a dark black and not very viscous.

wrighto33, Jun 19, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

I guess the problem with this beer ultimately is that it does not showcase the barrel. The tannic nature is there but the whiskey is pretty absent.

Beer is black, served in a tulip with a tan head, no lacing, moderate to low carbonation. Beer is SERVED way too damn cold. I hold off on drinking for several minutes as I let the heat from my hands warm the glass.

Aroma is mildly bitter and ashy with a definite tannic presence. No bourbon / whiskey though.

Beer is medium in body and decent overall, the finish is sweet and sour with tannic notes, the ash is eclipsed by the tannins from the oak i assume. Overall an OK beer but not a remarkable barrel aged beer. I am looking forward to the other barrel aged offerings but this one is just a stout, nothing more.

drabmuh, Jun 18, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

Served in a tulip at Franklins. An undetermined stout aged in JD barrels.

Pours a slightly thin looking dark brown with a thin light tan head that quickly fades to zero with one or two thin, wispy rings of lacing. Smells like a slightly sour and oatty jack Daniels shot. Uh oh. Upon first sip I asked the bartender if he gave me the nitro oatmeal stout by accident. On second sip I asked for a sample of the oatmeal to verify since I didn't believe Jim. Basically tastes like a slightly sour oatmeal stout with a sweet JD finish. Body is silky and smooth with nearly zero carbonation. Just... not good. So far off from what I expected, I hope it was served on a bad line or something

yourefragile, Jun 16, 2011
Tennessee Tuxedo from Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.