Heinber Brau Kölsch - Covington Brewhouse

good

Covington Brewhouse visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Kölsch |  ABV ?

Offered year round, Kölsch is a light and crisp golden German-style beer brewed in the finest traditions of the classic German Brewmasters. Traditionally brewed in Cologne, Germany, our version is similar to the classic Kölsch, but brewed and aged more in the Bavarian Style of a Kellerbier. Kellerbier (or Zwickelbier) is a beer natural carbonated and packed direct from the aging tank, without filtration or pasteurizing of the finished product. Our Kölsch is warm fermented with Lager yeast and then cold-aged, or Lagered. Because our Kölsch is unfiltered and has natural brewer’s yeast remaining, it is not only very tasty and refreshing but is also a natural source of vitamin B. It is less bitter than the standard German pale lager and has a prominent, but not extreme, hoppiness.

(Beer added by: au1sec on 10-24-2005)
Reviews by DannyS:
DannyS

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Acquired in a trade with theghost3. Served in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - A very light amber, almost lighter than hoegaarden. Thin head that goes away fairly quick to leave a thin foam ring.

S - Floral and acidic. Fairly strong notes of lavender and faint notes of white wine. Also getting some fresh wheat aroma.

T - Subtle hop presence giving off good balancing bitterness to the light, citric flavor that composes the primary taste. Wheat also present again.

M - Light, fizzy, easy on the palate.

D - Very easy drinking. finishes clean and is very refreshing. I could go for another if I put more in my fridge.

overall - Glad I got a chance to try this local Louisiana brew. It's simple, but it's refreshing and tasty enough to thoroughly enjoy. A great choice to cool off with when summer comes around.

04-12-2009 00:10:56 | More by DannyS
tbryan5

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

04-29-2013 01:59:14 | More by tbryan5
orbitalr0x

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle that states the brew is unfiltered. Pours into my glass a somewhat hazy straw yellow with a quarter inch of bubbles on top that fall to a ring around the brew. Aromas start out with crisp light malts with a touch of bread along with some citrus zest. Herbal, grassy hops are evident in the background. There's an odd fruity almost grape aroma as well, yeast esters?

First sip brings crisp, light grain malt upfront again with a bit of a bready quality as well. It flows down with a mix of mellow citrus flavors and herbal, grassy hops that kick in with a mild bitterness. Somewhat yeasty on the finish that's crisp and somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel is light, well carbonated and overall refreshing. An easy drinking beer that goes down smooth. It's not the best kolsch I have had, however it's a serviceable brew from a brewery I had never heard before finding this in a bottle shop in Florida.

04-08-2009 01:18:17 | More by orbitalr0x
tigg924

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: high carbonation, one inch head, gold in color, hazy

Smell: toasted malt and grass

Taste: lemon, grass, and toasted malt

Mouthfeel: sweet with a light bitter undertone, high carbonation, light body

Overall: A sessionable above average kolsch. Above average, but not a standout. Nothing I would ever turn away.

04-18-2011 13:17:03 | More by tigg924
Mora2000

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a very clear light yellow with a white head. The aroma is grapes, corn and biscuits. The flavor is corn, wheat and florally hops. I also get some steamed vegetables in the flavor. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

06-01-2010 04:22:55 | More by Mora2000
ohmybock

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

On the way back from TX, I decided to stop by downtown Covington to see what I could find. No big deal, it's very close to I-10. I didn't find anyone at the brewery, but I was able to taste the Kolsch on draft at the Columbia Street Tap Room which is just a stone's throw from the brewery. You'll find around 30 mostly micro and imported brews on tap there.

The Heiner Brau Kolsch was lightly spicy, cloudy, and tasted somewhat unconventional for a German Kolsch. I've been to Koln, and this beer is not like any I tried over there. Maybe it's that this one seems to be yeasty/unfiltered and not crisp and clean like all the others I've had. Although pleasant, this brew just doesn't do much for me. Even so, this brew is probably a good match with the hot, humid, Louisiana climate and might not offend the average macro drinker. The Heiner Brau website lists a bunch of other interesting seasonal beers. At this point, it appears that none of those have been brewed. In time, hopefully Heiner Brau's German Brewmaster will actually release some of the listed seasonals like the Maibock, Weihnachtsbock, Maerzen, and Oktoberfest. I would certainly like to try them.

05-09-2006 21:19:41 | More by ohmybock
JamesStreet

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

05-12-2013 16:42:38 | More by JamesStreet
dpsychoholic69

Mississippi

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a pint, cloudy golden appearance with a white fizzy head that dissipated quickly

Smells of light hops, fruits, nice smell

I like the yeasty flavor of this beer, fruityness is not as prominent as I thought and wasn't expecting the hit from the malts on the back end, nice

Feels a little thin, a little fizziness

Not a bad beer to drink while around the grill in the summertime. Goes down smooth, has a nice finish and is refreshing. Think I'll try it with a slice of lemon next time. I would buy this beer again.

01-16-2009 19:14:48 | More by dpsychoholic69
tetu

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured out of the bottle golden yellow with some murkiness and carbonation to it. Not much of a head, lots of large air bubbles rising fast to the top that never really form together.

Smell was of yeast and grains

Taste was a honey lemon/orange citrus taste, and wheat.

Mouthfeel was very carbonated at the start with some dry lemon tartness.

Refreshing and Enjoyable. This bottle went down smooth after some yard work.

03-21-2011 23:07:19 | More by tetu
philipquarles

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz bottle poured into a stang. Medium straw color with impressive clarity for being unfiltered. Tall white head that sticks around until the glass is drained. Sweet nose with a lot of grassy, grainy character. The taste reflects this, with a grainy malt bill and an overall sweet character. Clean and refreshing. Medium bodied and with just the right amount of carbonation. Having been to Köln and sampled kölsch from all of the major brewhouses, I have to say that this stands up to any of them. If only it were available from a cask on gravity...

04-25-2009 00:21:43 | More by philipquarles
tone77

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks goes out to woodychandler for providing this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with no head at all. Smell is of grains, some malts. Taste is crisp and refreshing, biscuits, grains, malts, very drinkable. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

04-02-2011 13:13:48 | More by tone77
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

4.23/5  rDev +16.2%

A- I'm very much reminded of a hefeweizen beer when looking at the coloration, that being of a yeast hazed grassy/golden. There seems to be plenty of carbonation and the head is very white in color, and not super thick at any point....it eventually settles down to a finely tuned layer covering the beer. The lacing is quite good, as it completely blankets the side of my glass, and settles into a small-medium patchwork of foam. Overall this is a decent looking brew!

S- The aromas are primarily of soft sweet malt, biscuits and fresh yeasty bread. It is quite pleasant in the nose cavity and has the warmth of an ale, that is balanced by some clean crispness right at the finish, due to some mild hoppiness.

T- The flavors are, in my opinion, quite different than the aromas let on. Gone is the dominant sweetness, and is replaced with more of an Earthy floral/herbal character. The finish, while not overpowering, shows more hop power, along with a crisp, yet mild citrus hint. Nicely balanced!

M- The carbonation continues the trend of helping along the crisp, clean nature of the beer. The body is a lite-medium, thanks to the unfiltered yeast suspended within the liquid. It does leave my palate dry after the swallow as well.

O- I feel this is a well balanced, unique beer! I really could get into this one and think it would make a wonderful session brew! I'd also like to think it would go well with poultry dishes or a cream pasta meal. Another quality beer by this brewery....I've been impressed with Heiner Brau thus far and look forward to trying out more of their selection!

03-20-2012 23:45:11 | More by ChrisCage
tcayiajr

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

I've had this beer a few times when I've bought the cans particularly from Dorgnac's in Metarie, LA. I've always enjoyed the Kolsch style of beer and recently since I first tried a Kolsch while living in Alaska and having the Alaskan Summer Ale. More Recently I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Koln, Germany and try the real thing straight from the source and it was great. All in all, Heiner Brau did not disappoint me and in fact lived up to what my expectations for an American Kolsch beer should taste like. Recently at the the WYES Beer Tasting event I was able to have a few words with the owner of Heiner-Brau Heinrich himself and I was definitely assured that this man was producing an authentic product following strictley to the established German principles for what a kolsch should be. I really look forward to more selections from Heinrich.

06-15-2006 02:53:41 | More by tcayiajr
theghost3

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours golden with a thin white head. Smell is mainly wheat, yeast, and some buttery malts. Taste is much like the smell--wheat, grainy, strong of yeast. Mouthfeel is crisp, carbonation not overpowering. This is a very refreshing brew; easy to drink several at a time.

09-14-2008 22:18:46 | More by theghost3
RonaldTheriot

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Heiner Brau Kolsch has a thick, slightly off-white head and a hazy yellow-golden appearance, with some bubbles streaming up. The aroma is mild, with yeast, bread, and a slight fruit aspect. Taste is likewise on the mild side, and has an overriding maltiness, yet with enough hop presence to keep it from being dull. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and the finish is crisp and semi-dry. Drinkability is quite high with this one. I really enjoyed it.

RJT

06-06-2011 01:16:18 | More by RonaldTheriot
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer poured a cloudy golden color. It doesn’t have much head – no lacing. The smell is cereal/sweet/grainy like. The taste is mild and cereal like. It has a hint of sour apple flavor in it. The mouthfeel is thin. This is an interesting beer, but the flavors don’t seem to meld in this particular brew. I’m intrigued, but not impressed.

01-31-2007 00:18:20 | More by barefootbrewer
Shafaegalo

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

01-22-2014 03:34:03 | More by Shafaegalo
twiggamortis420

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a hazy medium yellow color with a very small white fizzy head that fades to nada with the quickness. Not that kolsches ever have long lasting pillowy foam, but I think I blinked and this one was gone.

Light, grainy and fruity nose. Strawberries, honeydew melon and smartees candy. A pleasant smelling beer, but not much in the way of malt or hops.

Very grainy flavor, damn near cornmeal-like. Can taste some German hops in here, I am guessing hallertau. Fruitiness is less noticeable in the taste, as it presents itself as very fresh and clean. Would make a superb hot weather session beer. I would like a bit more malt and fruit flavors, but still is a fairly decent kolsch...which I feel to be an underrepresented style among American brewers.

02-06-2009 13:23:00 | More by twiggamortis420
dorionray

3.75/5  rDev +3%

01-01-2014 23:36:52 | More by dorionray
megahurts4

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Heiner Brau Kolsch

Appearance: golden, medium-small head, and some lacing.

Smell: apples, grains, and subtle malts.

Taste: grains, apples, and a nice maltiness.

Mouthfeel: light.

Overall:
It's a nice refreshing brew. It has got a good grain flavor.

08-05-2011 18:03:59 | More by megahurts4
MrHassellYaHurd

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours into a pint glass a very pale yellow with a slight haze. Large-bubbled pure white head forms and quickly dies down to a small cap.

Fruity smells such as apples and pears, as well as a good maltiness. come to mind through the nose.

Slightly tart green apple like taste with lots of malt flavor and just a little hoppy bite. Very crisp and clean. Tons of carbonation in a body on the thin side of medium.

An easy-drinking beer which would be amazing on a hot summer day.

02-26-2010 00:05:10 | More by MrHassellYaHurd
mattviator

Louisiana

I know that Heiner Brau brews the Zea restaurant beers and they are good, so I was excited to try this. Pours a cloudy golden with a nice head. Fruity smell with banana and honey. Taste of bread and grain with citrus lingering through. The hops are also nicely present. Light mouthfeel with above average carbonation. Overall, a thirst quenching brew with great flavor. And the can design kicks ass too.

01-05-2007 03:08:54 | More by mattviator
au1sec

Alabama

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Very little aroma. Color was darker than expected, sort of a light amber. The taste was actually very good, although seemed a little rich and full for a kolsch. I'd compare it to a Dortmunder-style lager. Very drinkable. I had two of them at the bar which was attached to a wine market, and closed at that hour. They let me walk back to check out the beer selection on the store side and I noticed three sixers of this. When I settled up I asked if I could put a sixer on the tab as well, and they let me. I tried to go back today before leaving Louisiana to get the other two but they were closed on Sundays. Best beer I've ever had from a can.

10-24-2005 01:25:16 | More by au1sec
Karibourgeois

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

03-11-2014 00:34:56 | More by Karibourgeois
TheHoppiest

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

Obtained this in a trade with ZBellino, thanks!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stemmed pilsner glass. Pours a slightly hazy washed out pale yellow, with a minimal white head that quickly dissapears. The haziness is likely due to the fact it is unfiltered. Moderate carbonation keeps the bubbles flowing up to the surface.

Has a dry grass smell with a hint of lemon. The aroma reminds me of the smell of an attic that's been shut up all year long, and is just being opened up on a warm fall day.

Starts tart and lemony, becoming maltier as the tart fades away, The taste rolls off toward the end of the sip, with just a slight tacky aftertaste. Little to no hops are present.

Light bodied, with a creamier middle than other Kolsch's I've had. While there's a sharp start, it is much tarter than I'd expect. Also, the ending feel is softer than I've had in other beers this style.

Despite the fact that this is not very Kolsch-like in my opinion, I still find it to be an easy drinking beer. More lemony that I like my beers, this isn't one I'd follow with another, necessarily, but I could see it being a starter beer for the evening before moving on to something of more substance.

11-09-2011 01:45:23 | More by TheHoppiest