Heiner Brau Mardi Gras Festbier - Covington Brewhouse

Heiner Brau Mardi Gras FestbierHeiner Brau Mardi Gras Festbier

Covington Brewhouse visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  ABV ?

Beer added by: acrawf6 on 11-22-2006

A Bavarian style lager, light copper colored, medium build beer with a malty finish. In Bavaria, this beer is usually brewed in late summer to celebrate the bringing in of the harvest. With a fresh Festbier in hand, your celebration of the chilly “Mardi Gras” season will warm your heart.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.93/5  rDev -39.1%

What can I say, but that I really didn't enjoy this beer at all. When I saw it on the shelf, I was really excited to try it out, but I was really disappointed while drinking it. The beer had a very strange taste and was really flat. I had to force myself to drink it all. I really hope this local brewery succeeds, but I haven't been too impressed by their beer so far. Maybe it was just a bad batch considering that the other two ratings are positive. I'll try it again and see if anything changes.

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

Hoping for great things from the brewery. Some different characteristics coming from this brew. Aromas begin with a heavy dose of malts (pilsner / vienna or 2-row) with a descernable earthy flavor with raw grains and corn. The beer's appearance is darker than most traditional Oktoberfests and the head formation / retention left me wanting more. Seems light on overall carbonation. The taste is more balanced toward the grain (barley) flavors and of the un-malted variety; leaving the beer tasting like green-beer or wort. A sweet caramel-like quality rounds the beer out, but the light hop additions keeps the beer sweet. A bit oily on the toung and lack of co2 makes the beer feel more weighted. Finishes with a sweet grain flavor. Not my favorite Oktoberfest, but certainly a different take on the style.

3.82/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours out an dark copper/amber with a white head that lowers to a very thin sheet of bubbles over the beer.

Smell. Has a nice combination of malts and fruit. Malts are sweet, and slightly syrupy, with a little bit of oats. There are some candy fruit aromas, and some dehydrated peaches.

Taste. A good bit similar to the aroma. I get slight oat flavors in the malt, and a good amount of sweetness. Fruits come out with more dehydrated peaches, and just a touch of strawberry tartness. As it warms up, i really get the flavors of german malts. The aftertaste becomes dry with a small bit of roasted malts.

Mouthfeel. The weakest part, imho. Just a little too thin, and a little slick to the tongue. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall. I think this one is just a hair away from being a great beer. I think the aroma and flavor are quite nice, i just wish the body would have been a little fuller. Perhaps i would like it more on a hot afternoon, rather than this chilly night. But i think it is the best beer i've tried coming from them.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last