Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,675 | Hads: 4,363

On tap at Dieu du Ciel Tuesday, August 5th, 2008. At 9.5% alcohol it's served in a tulip glass.

I arrived in Montreal at 11:30pm Tuesday night and after checking in to my hotel headed right over to DDC, hoping with all hope that this was on tap. Sure enough, beer number 15 out of 15 was Peche Mortel. This was the first time in many trips to DDC that they had the Peche running, and I wasn't about to squander my chance to thoroughly enjoy this beer.

Poured pitch black with the thickest, heaviest head I've ever had the privelidge of seeing atop a beer. The head stayed perfectly intact for what seemed an eternity, even as I swirled the beer around and took a few sips. Rich coffee aroma with some deep malt and tastes much the same. Mouthfeel was very smooth with some alcohol at the end. Very easy to drink, which was pretty dangerous due the high alcohol content and me coming off a five hour drive. A few hours of drinking these at the bar hit me pretty hard come last call, but it was all well worth it. (1,013 characters)

Bottle into extended tulip glass. Pours jet black with one good finger of mocha fizzy (soda-like) head which dissipated pretty quickly to a ring around the glass. Thin rings, and islands of lacing.

N: A bit of sweet roasted malt, and LOTS of black coffee. A tiny touch of dark chocolate but this is certainly more on the coffee side.

T: Nice and roasty at first, and then the coffee really comes out, and some bitterness on the finish. Wait a bit before the next sip to really get the full coffee experience from this

M: Medium-Full bodied. So pleasing for a strong stout at 9.5%. I was hoping it wouldn't be too thick and it's not. Very nice mouthfeel, a bit of alcohol warmth but the booze is well masked.

I'm on the fence about this brewery, but this happens to be incredible! (783 characters)

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled on 08/05

A: Pours a pure ebony. Quoting Spinal Tap here, "none more black". Creamy two finger, espresso crema colored head that leaves random gobs of lace coating the glass.

S: Heavenly aromas of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, espresso, brown sugar, raisins, chocolate covered cherries, etc...

T: Huge espresso/dark roast coffee flavors, along with bitter dark chocolate, burnt black roasted malt, cocoa powder, chocolate milk, raisins, spiced plums, fresh green hops, and brown sugar/molassas. Amazing!

M: At once bitter and creamy. The bitter coffee and hops do a spicy little dance on the tongue that lasts a long time. Absolutely masterful!

D: Incredible! This is the last of a three bottle Peche Mortel haul I made and I've been sitting on this bottle for about a year now. I am amazed at how sharp and flavorful it has remained (especially the hop flavors). Why is it that the good ones are so hard to find? (1,017 characters)

This is a 5. I can't find a thing wrong with it. Aged for sure, but the brewed in year is indeterminate.
Label is quite faded and dating is checked 7, 5. Nose reveals Sumatran coffee, milk chocolate, and
hints of light caramel. Perfectly balanced, these scents become flavors in your mouth that waltz across
the roof of your mouth. The finish doesn't bitter, just more smooth unburned coffee. You'd be
hard pressed to find a better coffee double stout. FBS, which I love, is in the backseat here.... (508 characters)

A: Dark, dark, dark. Heavy lacing.

S: Coffee, chocolate, caramel, malty, all add together for a fantastic smell! I can't wait to try this beer.

T: Unbelievable! Absolutely off the charts. Chocolate and coffee dancing a tango on the tongue like nothing else ever has!

M: Carbonation is a little bit low. Very heavy, but it is also incredibly creamy and smooth. Wonderful.

I instantly fell in love with this beer. Definitely high up on my favorites list. A must-try. (469 characters)

Perfect beer! Appearance like a guinesse, smeel coffee, torecfation, chocolat, caramel. So a complex beer and one of my favorite! I try this beer at my home and my friend said : WOW MAN THIS IS AMAZING.... I dont know what i can say about this . Ah yes, AMAZING (261 characters)

Enjoyed this offering on brisk winter night out of a 11.5 oz bottle. Presents midnight black with a small dark brown head. Light to no carbonation with excellent lacing. Smell of toffee and coffee with lingering sweet notes. Taste is wordclass. Robust sweet espresso that lingers just long enough and masks the 9+% ABV very nicely. Thick on the palate as it should be with this style. If you have chance to try/buy this one its a must!!! Even better on tap. (457 characters)

rainy day here and this stout just lit up my life. its pitch black with a tan head of medium bubbles. no lacing to speak of and its warm enough to taste. you can smell the roasted and burnt malts. taste is a creamy chocolat, viscous and thick. it feels great in my mouth and its extraordinarily drinkable. mm mm good (316 characters)

OMG!! What an impressive imperial stout this is! Coffee and dark roasts are in the smell and flavor. An overall hardy mouthfeel. You know you are drinking an imperial stout the second it gently rolls over your taste buds. Everything improves as it warms in your snifter. It was disappointing to see the bottom of the glass. This stout shall be forever in my "wants". (366 characters)

The beer was poured into a wide mouth goblet.

Appearance: This beer is black. There is no opaqueness to light a total black hole. The head was coffee colored with a touch of creame. The head was briefly there and was gone. There was speckles of lacing left behind on the glass.

Smell: Coffee almost says it all about the smell. This is the mother of all dark roasted espresso treats. Juan Valdez himself could not have crammed more coffee smell into this beer. There is a trace of chocolate and vanilla lost in the coffee.

Taste: This is the very essence of dark roasted espresso crammed into a beer. There is a small amount of sweet coffee and vanilla present in the taste. A very roasty toasty beer.

Mouthfeel: This is a meduim bodied beer. The taste is very thick and chewy.

Drinkability: Just an excellent coffee beer. Very drinkable not to sweet and not to hoppy. Just perfection in a beer bottle. (919 characters)

Pours jet black with very little tan-colored head. This beer drinks incredibly smooth. Bursting with coffee and milk chocolate flavor, it never turns overly bitter or off balance like many other coffee stouts. I want to drink this every morning for breakfast. (262 characters)

Had this on tap in the past and loved it, but it was a bit too cold and I didn't have the time to wait for it to get to a better drinking temp.

Found two bottles and jumped at the chance to try this again.

Looks like a perfect imperial stout. Black as night, a small tan head that sticks around in my tulip glass.

Smells insane...in a good way. Coffee aromas big time but also dark malts and a hint of chocolate and even some dark fruit.

Tastes like it smells, times a million. This has to be my favorite beer. I love KBS and FBS, but for me, this is above and beyond. It tastes like the finest coffee and chocolate and a slight dark fruit hint, but it could just be from the coffee itself.

Mouthfeel is perfect. A sipper but I just want to down the whole thing. This is a true dessert beer. Like a kid with really good chocolate milk or hot chocolate, this is what you get when you grow up.

Drinkability? I could drink this daily if it was regularly available to me. For now I will just grab some everytime I see it. (1,023 characters)

This is big boozy beer, and I knew that looking at the label, but I'm a little sorry I let that stop me from drinking it until now. It is quite balanced and refreshing, like port with the freshness of the stems included (rare), or Mas des Chimeres 2005 as it warms on the patio of Slows.

Really, refreshing. Not sour at all, but full of lift. Some of this must be attributed to hops, but I sense nothing hop-monolithic. Bitterness is burnt sweet seed, fine grained, fresh and herbal, no terpene assault. Hooray! It sucks to relate such an obviously fine beer with descriptions of what it is not. This is truly excellent. I could easily drink a case. It tastes like 80% chocolate, but fine enough to eat, which is possible but rare.

Begs to be related to Expedition Stout. This is better i think. And I'm sad to say it. (Keep in mind, I have an irrational aversion to mass, weight and alcohol unnecessarily present ...) (920 characters)

Great beer. Beautiful black with a creamy chocolaty head. The aroma and taste are full of sweet coffee - really nice blend with the other ingredients. Alcohol is hidden perfectly. This was more carbonated than most really good stouts I've had, but it was still really full-bodied. Straight 5s for me - one of the few best stouts I've ever had. (343 characters)

A - Pitch black with a dark tan head that fades and laces.

S - Coffee, chocolate

T - Coffee, roasty, deliciousness...epic in flavor, slight alcohol aftertaste

M - Medium carbonation, full in body and creamy mouthfeel

D - Creamy, delicious. Unbelievable in flavor and needs to be experienced. One of the best beers in the world for sure. (340 characters)

A; black with a ambercolerd head.

S; chocolate,wood,vanilla.

T; wood,bitter chocolate,coffee,laurel,creamy,sweet chocolate.

M; the wood and coffee are stying in your mouth and in the aftertaste some creamy chocolate.

O; good stout with a lot of flauvors and manny that i cant trace. i have fallen in love with this beer. (324 characters)

Bottle purchased on a recent trip to Montreal. God am I glad I brought back a 6-pack

I've only given one other perfect score(Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout) but this one is my new benchmark brew. The coffee aroma is intense. Dark robusta espresso smell and flavour. This beer was velvety and incredibly smooth on the tongue. The aftertaste is so rich, it leaves a mocha flavour on your tongue that lasts. Alcohol is listed on the bottle as 9.5% but I can't tell when I'm drinking it. It is so well hidden that it sneaks up on you. It also seems to give you a serious caffeine buzz. So drinkable, this beer will keep you wanting more, but if you want to remain coherent, 1 is enough in a sitting.

A great winter beer, I am going to savour this 6-pack all season long. It's among the best in the world and is worth seeking out. (828 characters)

What more can be said about this beer than has already been said? Not much.

There are many beers that are hyped up, and all too many don't live up to the hype. In my view, this one exceeds all the hype. This is a must-have beer for all those stout fans.

Why did I wait so long to try this? This one is a bargain, almost no matter what the cost. Go out a get a few, you'll be sorry if you get only one! (403 characters)

This and Founder's Breakfast Stout are the top two coffee/imperial stouts in my opinion. Founder's has a thicker body that lends itself more to winter drinking, while this one is a bit thinner and more suitable for the humid chicago summer day i enjoyed it.

An espresso-crema head quickly dissipated but left a remarkable lacing on my brandy snifter throughout the rather long period of time it took me to finish this. As it warmed the coffee became more evident and the beer continued to shock me in its complexity.

This is a definite example of perfection in its style. (574 characters)

11.5oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Opaque, very dark brown beer with one inch of sticky, cinnamon-colored foam. Gorgeous lacing.

S - Smells a tad sweet, with roasted barley, coffee, and dark chocolate.

T - Rich, roasty character with plenty of coffee flavor, but without the harsh bitterness present in some other coffee beers. Subtle, gentle bitterness adds to the delicious flavor profile while keeping a pleasant sweetness in check. Dark chocolate comes in around the middle and lingers in the long finish. No hop flavor or aroma present, but earthy hop bitterness builds with each sip.

M - Full body reminiscent of coffee with cream. Restrained carbonation allows the creamy texture to shine.

D - Spectacular. This beer could be equally at home with brunch or for a nightcap. It does offer a slight buzz, but there's no hint of alcohol on the palate. A great slow sipper, this beer exceeds all my expectations. (916 characters)

A: Velvety black and opaque. A thin mocha colored film tops this stout.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and sourdough bread make up the bold bouquet.

T: Coffee, caramel, chocolate, and vanilla are the main notes of this delicious brew

M: Thick and velvety with little in the way of carbonation. Perfection.

D: One of the finest coffee stouts on the market. Worth seeking out. (369 characters)

Color of dark roasted coffee 1 cm of brown head, lacing sticking to the sides. Looks very inviting and looks like it tastes good even before trying it.

Smells like espresso with cream,dark chocolate and raw cacao nibs.

Tastes like espresso, dark chocolate , notes of cacao, some alcohol burn, roasty and warm.

Somewhat thick in the mouth, light carbonations, little bit sticky. Has alot of mouth feel.

Fantastic Imperial Stout. I could have one of these everyday if I could afford the 6 dollar per 12 ounce bottle. It is pricy but totally worth it, I just wish I had more than the one I just drank. (602 characters)

Shared a bottle of this at The Publick House with fellow BAs David and Westmalle. Folks, if the price of this beer scares you (whether retail or at a beer bar) All I can say is:1. It's worth it. 2. And why not share the bottle? I would order this up at the Publick House again, no problem.
One initial impression of this beer is: it's a one note beer. It is a coffee beer on steroids, and if you love good rich satisfying coffee (and beer), then it's one to be savored. If you don't, order something else. Pours were noire, with a lovely 1/4 inch coffee crema style head. Aroma was full of wonderful things like cocoa nibs, dark roastiness, raw beer. Sorta great European coffeehouse meets low earthiness. Taste for me was a total espresso experience, some astringency, dark roastiness, again cocoa nibs. The body stands up to this overwhelming taste experience. My only small complaint was that it was hard to find the beer in there. On the other hand, this is a one of a kind tasting experience which I'm glad I got to indulge in. (1,033 characters)

12oz bottle shared with a friend in exchange for half of his Heady. Great night.

Appearance: Pours out real smooth, pitch black, with a mocha head that stuck around for a while. Not too much lacing.

Smell: Hershey's chocolate syrup. Coffee, roasted malt, chocolate. Very sweet and sticky. Hard sniff gives way to a tiny bit of alcohol on the back end. I couldn't stop smelling this beer.

Taste: The best coffee stout I've had to date. From front to back: roasted malt, fresh roasted coffee beans, chocolate syrup, bitter hops, clean finish. Wow. I could easily drink this for breakfast and be satisfied. No alcohol, impressive for 9.5%.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, silky, chewy. Feels almost like chocolate milk on the tongue. Bittering hops on the back end keep everything smooth and not cloying.

Overall: Great stout, found the last bottle in my local shop, lucky to have picked it up. This one will knock your socks off. (919 characters)

This is among the best beers I have tasted. The beer is dark with a decent espresso colored head. The smell and taste of coffee in this beer is unlike other coffee stouts I've had before - the taste is strong throughout and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. The mouthfeel is of moderate thickness, really perfect to complement the taste. I could certainly drink this one every night. (379 characters)

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel