2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,244 | Reviews: 1,585 | Show All Ratings:
francisweizen

Arizona

2004 Edition sampled several times at Montreals Mondial De La Biere 2004.

2002 First batch sampled several times at the Dieu Du Ciel brewpub in Montreal, PQ

Appearance: As dark as a starless night. This brew is a deeply opaque black colour with a huge tan head that lasts until the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Todd summed this one up nicely. The aroma of this brew screams Espresso. Fresh espresso beans, fresh espresso coffee, FRESH ESPRESSO! There are also some nice chocolate (milk), caramel, and roasted malt notes hidden beneath the mound of espresso beans.

Taste: This brew tastes like a dream. First the fresh espresso notes hit hard, followed by a nice dark chocolate flavor. Than the roasted malts and the subdued but caramel-like sweetness come into play in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as silk and as creamy as a milkshake. This is the best beer that I have EVER had off of the nitro-tap. Somehow the flavors are not muted by the nitro-tap. In fact I think that this beers flavors blend wonderfully on nitro (although i've yet to have this aged in the bottle)

Drinkability: How can a 9%abv espresso assault be this easy to drink. This is easily the easiest drinking coffee beer that I have ever consumed. In fact this is one of the easiest drinking strong stouts that I have ever had as well.

Notes: This stuff is awesome! Why-oh-why can we not get this in the states. I really wish that Montreal would change it's laws so Jean-Francois Gravel can start filling growlers of this stuff to go, or better yet bottling it for export. This is really one of the best beers out there!

Serving type: nitro-tap

06-23-2004 18:40:07 | More by francisweizen
PatandDavid

Shared a bottle of this at The Publick House with fellow BAs David and Westmalle. Folks, if the price of this beer scares you (whether retail or at a beer bar) All I can say is:1. It's worth it. 2. And why not share the bottle? I would order this up at the Publick House again, no problem.
One initial impression of this beer is: it's a one note beer. It is a coffee beer on steroids, and if you love good rich satisfying coffee (and beer), then it's one to be savored. If you don't, order something else. Pours were noire, with a lovely 1/4 inch coffee crema style head. Aroma was full of wonderful things like cocoa nibs, dark roastiness, raw beer. Sorta great European coffeehouse meets low earthiness. Taste for me was a total espresso experience, some astringency, dark roastiness, again cocoa nibs. The body stands up to this overwhelming taste experience. My only small complaint was that it was hard to find the beer in there. On the other hand, this is a one of a kind tasting experience which I'm glad I got to indulge in.

05-07-2005 17:34:18 | More by PatandDavid
Sephiroth

Indiana

Bottled in 11/04: The initial pour goes into a large tulip with about an inch and a half of foam. The head leaves clumps of lace on the sides of the glass.This beer mantains a fifth of an inch of head throughout the session. The nose is one of coffee and roasted malt. Light bitterness is percieved.

This beer tastes of coffee above all else. I like my coffee as Ilike my beers, that is fully flavored and over the top. I detect more chocolate flavor as I progress through the bomber. This is beginning to look more and more like a frothy cup of coffee. It tastes not as though someone just put 2 packs into the coffee maker; it tastes of gourmet coffee. I deduct a half point only because this brew is one dimensional in flavor.

Although this is my first review, I must give this beer a five for mouthfeel. Its texture is that of a rootbeer float with lots of melted ice cream in it. It is simply world class. The drinkability is good for the style. I have drained this bottle with efficiency but would certainly not drink another in the same sitting. If you find a bottle for less than $20, consider yourself lucky and buy every last one of them.

Edit: As this was my first review, I was afraid to give fives. But, after my second bottle, and a little more experience reviewing beers, I feel less ripped off for my $25. The flavor is certainly not one-dimensional, but perhaps like mixing a Rogue Imperial Stout 01 with a Perkuno's Hammer from the cask with a lot of good coffee. Awesome. I think I'll make some pancakes with good Canadian maple syrup to go on top.

06-12-2005 07:48:20 | More by Sephiroth
nlmartin

The beer was poured into a wide mouth goblet.

Appearance: This beer is black. There is no opaqueness to light a total black hole. The head was coffee colored with a touch of creame. The head was briefly there and was gone. There was speckles of lacing left behind on the glass.

Smell: Coffee almost says it all about the smell. This is the mother of all dark roasted espresso treats. Juan Valdez himself could not have crammed more coffee smell into this beer. There is a trace of chocolate and vanilla lost in the coffee.

Taste: This is the very essence of dark roasted espresso crammed into a beer. There is a small amount of sweet coffee and vanilla present in the taste. A very roasty toasty beer.

Mouthfeel: This is a meduim bodied beer. The taste is very thick and chewy.

Drinkability: Just an excellent coffee beer. Very drinkable not to sweet and not to hoppy. Just perfection in a beer bottle.

12-21-2005 18:48:47 | More by nlmartin
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

Bottle purchased on a recent trip to Montreal. God am I glad I brought back a 6-pack

I've only given one other perfect score(Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout) but this one is my new benchmark brew. The coffee aroma is intense. Dark robusta espresso smell and flavour. This beer was velvety and incredibly smooth on the tongue. The aftertaste is so rich, it leaves a mocha flavour on your tongue that lasts. Alcohol is listed on the bottle as 9.5% but I can't tell when I'm drinking it. It is so well hidden that it sneaks up on you. It also seems to give you a serious caffeine buzz. So drinkable, this beer will keep you wanting more, but if you want to remain coherent, 1 is enough in a sitting.

A great winter beer, I am going to savour this 6-pack all season long. It's among the best in the world and is worth seeking out.

11-22-2007 22:27:23 | More by Hornet2003
GbVDave

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled on 08/05

A: Pours a pure ebony. Quoting Spinal Tap here, "none more black". Creamy two finger, espresso crema colored head that leaves random gobs of lace coating the glass.

S: Heavenly aromas of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, espresso, brown sugar, raisins, chocolate covered cherries, etc...

T: Huge espresso/dark roast coffee flavors, along with bitter dark chocolate, burnt black roasted malt, cocoa powder, chocolate milk, raisins, spiced plums, fresh green hops, and brown sugar/molassas. Amazing!

M: At once bitter and creamy. The bitter coffee and hops do a spicy little dance on the tongue that lasts a long time. Absolutely masterful!

D: Incredible! This is the last of a three bottle Peche Mortel haul I made and I've been sitting on this bottle for about a year now. I am amazed at how sharp and flavorful it has remained (especially the hop flavors). Why is it that the good ones are so hard to find?

12-27-2007 04:31:54 | More by GbVDave
sammartin68

Quebec (Canada)

Perfect beer! Appearance like a guinesse, smeel coffee, torecfation, chocolat, caramel. So a complex beer and one of my favorite! I try this beer at my home and my friend said : WOW MAN THIS IS AMAZING.... I dont know what i can say about this . Ah yes, AMAZING

01-31-2008 03:31:46 | More by sammartin68
philberinghele

This and Founder's Breakfast Stout are the top two coffee/imperial stouts in my opinion. Founder's has a thicker body that lends itself more to winter drinking, while this one is a bit thinner and more suitable for the humid chicago summer day i enjoyed it.

An espresso-crema head quickly dissipated but left a remarkable lacing on my brandy snifter throughout the rather long period of time it took me to finish this. As it warmed the coffee became more evident and the beer continued to shock me in its complexity.

This is a definite example of perfection in its style.

06-16-2008 02:04:25 | More by philberinghele
fdrich29

On tap at Dieu du Ciel Tuesday, August 5th, 2008. At 9.5% alcohol it's served in a tulip glass.

I arrived in Montreal at 11:30pm Tuesday night and after checking in to my hotel headed right over to DDC, hoping with all hope that this was on tap. Sure enough, beer number 15 out of 15 was Peche Mortel. This was the first time in many trips to DDC that they had the Peche running, and I wasn't about to squander my chance to thoroughly enjoy this beer.

Poured pitch black with the thickest, heaviest head I've ever had the privelidge of seeing atop a beer. The head stayed perfectly intact for what seemed an eternity, even as I swirled the beer around and took a few sips. Rich coffee aroma with some deep malt and tastes much the same. Mouthfeel was very smooth with some alcohol at the end. Very easy to drink, which was pretty dangerous due the high alcohol content and me coming off a five hour drive. A few hours of drinking these at the bar hit me pretty hard come last call, but it was all well worth it.

08-09-2008 20:50:16 | More by fdrich29
putnam

This is big boozy beer, and I knew that looking at the label, but I'm a little sorry I let that stop me from drinking it until now. It is quite balanced and refreshing, like port with the freshness of the stems included (rare), or Mas des Chimeres 2005 as it warms on the patio of Slows.

Really, refreshing. Not sour at all, but full of lift. Some of this must be attributed to hops, but I sense nothing hop-monolithic. Bitterness is burnt sweet seed, fine grained, fresh and herbal, no terpene assault. Hooray! It sucks to relate such an obviously fine beer with descriptions of what it is not. This is truly excellent. I could easily drink a case. It tastes like 80% chocolate, but fine enough to eat, which is possible but rare.

Begs to be related to Expedition Stout. This is better i think. And I'm sad to say it. (Keep in mind, I have an irrational aversion to mass, weight and alcohol unnecessarily present ...)

09-26-2008 02:36:59 | More by putnam
prsguitarsr4me

Great beer. Beautiful black with a creamy chocolaty head. The aroma and taste are full of sweet coffee - really nice blend with the other ingredients. Alcohol is hidden perfectly. This was more carbonated than most really good stouts I've had, but it was still really full-bodied. Straight 5s for me - one of the few best stouts I've ever had.

12-06-2008 21:14:25 | More by prsguitarsr4me
Cyberkedi

Georgia

Aroma is absolutely magnificent - like unsweetened chocolate with an undertone of rich roast coffee. It pours like motor oil and comes out opaque sable, just a shade this side of black, with a thick, fine, persistent tan head. Fabulous flavor is chocolaty but not sweet, with tones of coffee and smoke, nutty hints, and a touch of hops. Texture is tingly and lively so it practically dances down the esophagus. Strongly recommended, especially to Stouties.

01-13-2009 02:50:52 | More by Cyberkedi
trbergman

11.5oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Opaque, very dark brown beer with one inch of sticky, cinnamon-colored foam. Gorgeous lacing.

S - Smells a tad sweet, with roasted barley, coffee, and dark chocolate.

T - Rich, roasty character with plenty of coffee flavor, but without the harsh bitterness present in some other coffee beers. Subtle, gentle bitterness adds to the delicious flavor profile while keeping a pleasant sweetness in check. Dark chocolate comes in around the middle and lingers in the long finish. No hop flavor or aroma present, but earthy hop bitterness builds with each sip.

M - Full body reminiscent of coffee with cream. Restrained carbonation allows the creamy texture to shine.

D - Spectacular. This beer could be equally at home with brunch or for a nightcap. It does offer a slight buzz, but there's no hint of alcohol on the palate. A great slow sipper, this beer exceeds all my expectations.

03-12-2009 02:31:24 | More by trbergman
jdskinns

This was so good. I'm a huge fan of stouts and was very impressed with this beer.

Appearance - black pour with a brown head that neither faded out or was too thick. Had the head coloring of what I expect from a good stout, some deep brown to it, not the usual white you see with any beer.

Smell - amazing coffee smell from the beginning. As with KBS, I would be happy if this came in an air freshener/inscence scent. If my house smelled like this year round I would come home happy.

Taste - what a taste. This was so good even compared to a night before of drinking KBS. Add a chocolate note and its the same beer. I am beyond pleased with the taste of this beer. Exceptional.

Mouthfeel - thick and syrupy, but in no way a bad thing. This beer definitely sticks with your palate. If you're drinking another stout or something you're planning on fully tasting, wait on this one. It stays with you. So good though, what I expect a good stout to be.

Drinkability - this is no all day beer for sure, but it goes down so smooth for the style. I couldn't get enough of this one, it makes me want more.

In all, a great beer. I highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of stouts.

04-06-2009 06:17:16 | More by jdskinns
greg202stewart

Rhode Island

This one left me with an incredible buzz from just one bottle, maybe because its brewed with coffee. The appearance is a dark black with a light brown head. It smells of spices and strong coffee. It tastes much like a great coffee with so much intense flavor, definitely meant to be sipped and enjoyed. It has the slippery feel of oil in your mouth. This is a true masterpiece

04-09-2009 13:15:00 | More by greg202stewart
Martin2D

A - Pitch black with a dark tan head that fades and laces.

S - Coffee, chocolate

T - Coffee, roasty, deliciousness...epic in flavor, slight alcohol aftertaste

M - Medium carbonation, full in body and creamy mouthfeel

D - Creamy, delicious. Unbelievable in flavor and needs to be experienced. One of the best beers in the world for sure.

04-17-2009 04:21:59 | More by Martin2D
dmad50

Maryland

This is among the best beers I have tasted. The beer is dark with a decent espresso colored head. The smell and taste of coffee in this beer is unlike other coffee stouts I've had before - the taste is strong throughout and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. The mouthfeel is of moderate thickness, really perfect to complement the taste. I could certainly drink this one every night.

05-03-2009 03:20:40 | More by dmad50
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

Pours an inky black with a luscious tan head.

The nose is roasted malt and coffee.

Wow. It's malty sweet and bitter and roasty and burnt cocoa and a little creamy all at the same time. Tremendous! Coffee and stout in perfect harmony with some nice warming alcohol at the end. Stunningly delicious and full flavored without going overboard. If you like your coffee black like I do you'll likely love this beer.

The mouthfeel isn't a thick as I was expecting but the carbonation level works for me, the aftertaste is wonderful and lasting. It's rich but not cloying.

It's an extremely drinkable beer but the abv is too high to allow for sessionability. Damn.

Update: I had this on tap at Dieu Du Ciel this weekend and it was a near-religious experience and it may well top my list as the absolute best beer brewed in Canada. Everything I liked enough to give it an A seemed heightened and the mouthfeel seemed much creamier so I knocked this up to full marks for everything.

05-29-2009 22:04:07 | More by MeisterBurger
vikingmike

Ontario (Canada)

The LCBO finally got this one in stock...

A: Jet black, completely inpenetrable to light. Dark tan coloured head which disappears fairly quickly but laces the glass

S: No surprise here...coffee! Also hints of chocolate. The alcohol is more detectable in the nose than in the actual taste

T: Coffee, fading to dark chocolate. Slight alcohol hint at the end, however not unpleasant in the least.

M: Rich, thick...like liquid velvet.

D: Any mystique aside, this is one of the best beers I've tried in my life. Yes, I had to actively hunt it down, but this in no way skews my rating...I wouldn't care if you could buy this in front of the washroom of a Nascar event, or in a backcountry gas station....this beer is EXCEPTIONAL. Never thought a Canadian beer would ever exceed something by Unibroue....I thought wrong.

10-22-2009 01:43:22 | More by vikingmike
CanadaBlue

What more can be said about this beer than has already been said? Not much.

There are many beers that are hyped up, and all too many don't live up to the hype. In my view, this one exceeds all the hype. This is a must-have beer for all those stout fans.

Why did I wait so long to try this? This one is a bargain, almost no matter what the cost. Go out a get a few, you'll be sorry if you get only one!

11-14-2009 21:42:53 | More by CanadaBlue
Avagadro

A: Velvety black and opaque. A thin mocha colored film tops this stout.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and sourdough bread make up the bold bouquet.

T: Coffee, caramel, chocolate, and vanilla are the main notes of this delicious brew

M: Thick and velvety with little in the way of carbonation. Perfection.

D: One of the finest coffee stouts on the market. Worth seeking out.

12-13-2009 19:34:03 | More by Avagadro
lovetranquillity

Rhode Island

Color of dark roasted coffee 1 cm of brown head, lacing sticking to the sides. Looks very inviting and looks like it tastes good even before trying it.

Smells like espresso with cream,dark chocolate and raw cacao nibs.

Tastes like espresso, dark chocolate , notes of cacao, some alcohol burn, roasty and warm.

Somewhat thick in the mouth, light carbonations, little bit sticky. Has alot of mouth feel.

Fantastic Imperial Stout. I could have one of these everyday if I could afford the 6 dollar per 12 ounce bottle. It is pricy but totally worth it, I just wish I had more than the one I just drank.

10-13-2010 00:48:33 | More by lovetranquillity
berebrando

rainy day here and this stout just lit up my life. its pitch black with a tan head of medium bubbles. no lacing to speak of and its warm enough to taste. you can smell the roasted and burnt malts. taste is a creamy chocolat, viscous and thick. it feels great in my mouth and its extraordinarily drinkable. mm mm good

11-28-2010 00:26:37 | More by berebrando
Brianjames16

A- Pours a pitch black letting absolutely no light through. Decent sized espresso head sits on top.

S- Robust and rich aroma that i cant wrap my head around. unbelievable ! ! ! Rich coffee, roasted malts with some smokey like qualities.

T - Wonderful balance of everything that should be present. Bold and elegant. All the flavors complement each other. This beer is unreal.

M- It paints your mouth with complex flavors that linger and please you to the end. A must try for stout drinkers. A MUST ! ! !

O- I have said it all ! ! ! New fave that I could not forget .

04-02-2011 01:25:06 | More by Brianjames16
redsonja

Netherlands

A; black with a ambercolerd head.

S; chocolate,wood,vanilla.

T; wood,bitter chocolate,coffee,laurel,creamy,sweet chocolate.

M; the wood and coffee are stying in your mouth and in the aftertaste some creamy chocolate.

O; good stout with a lot of flauvors and manny that i cant trace. i have fallen in love with this beer.

05-06-2011 06:53:19 | More by redsonja