Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

"Mortal Sin"- 11.5 oz screw cap bottle, two notches on label at 4 and either 5 or 6, not sure what this means, poured into Duvel Tulip
A- Total blackness in color, totally opaque, no seeing through this one, Nice two fingers-thick creamy tan-colored head
S- Dark fruits (not my personal favorite), coffee, some chocolate maybe
T- Mmmm. Coffee, roasty, rich bittersweet chocolate, some dark fruit in the background
M- Huge creamy and smooth body, barely any carbonation, superb mouthfeel brings out the great flavor really well
O- The mouthfeel is fantastic, just big smooth and delicious. I know this wasn't a super fresh bottle but I'd love to get a new one to see if the coffee takes over.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber bottle courtesy of Mentor. I am sharing with Stopper and pouring into apint glass at room temperature. The beer pours pitch black with small creamy tan head foaming up easily, great retention as well.
The aroma is a great mix of malt, with chocolate and roasted notes mixing with epressso notes. there is also just a hint of sweet brown sugar too.
Overall quite enticing nose!
First sip reveals a silky smooth body and very fine carbonation that still tingles my palate as I sip.
The flavor is similar to the nose with roasted malt, some chocolate and brown sugar too. The espresso is large and in charge with some slight bitterness coming through on the end of each sip. The coffee notes linger on my palate long after each sip.
The beer is dangerously easy to drink with no hint of ABV anywhere to be found. Quite a well crafted brew.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Black, black, black, black, black. Humong-o four finger mocha-colored head that's foamy on the sides and puffy on top. Foamy lacing as it disipates.

S- Based on the nose and if I wouldn't be fired from my job, I would probably drink this in lieu of my coffee every morning. The nose is straight up coffee grounds.

T- (Copy the notes on the smell)Coffee + rich roasy stout = Peche Mortel. ...If I could start my day off with this, my job would be a hell of a lot more interesting.

M- Not nearly as full-bodied as I'd expected or hoped. Its like when you were a kid thinking that coffee was as thick as tar, but then you found out it was essentially just like tea, but with coffee beans. This is the one short stroke of this beer.

D- Like my coffee, I like to savor this one and enjoy it to the bottom of the glass.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Muchas gracias a sirpsycho for this one. He actually sent it as an extra I was surprised very generous dude if you ask me. Anyway on to the reivew.
Pours pitch black with a nice brownish head that quickly fades to a small wispy layer of foam on the top and around the glass.
Smells heavenly, big coffee notes, and chocolate come together to form a euphoric ambrosia of beery goodness.
It actually taste better than it smells. First I get the coffee, then the smoothness of the chocolate malts come in, and lastly a sharp bitter blast of roasted barley and the coffee come back for a nice finish.
Feels nice a creamy but the carbonation is a little much.
Man this baby is smooth I put a couple of these away no problem to bad I only have one.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle dated August 2010.

Beer is dark black, with a thick and frothy tan head on top which sticks around for a fair while.

Nose is roasted malt, toffee, coffee and chocolate. Nice, but not remarkably different than many other stouts.

Taste is excellent. Coffee is certainly the most notable flavour, but it is not overdone. Bitter dark chocolate and the roasted malt enter the picture as well. The taste is fairly bitter, especially at the end. The flavours all compliment each other very well. I am not a coffee drinker, but I love the flavour of this beer. The alcohol is incredibly well masked.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Nice and thick, and a very nice moderate amount of carbonation. Just like an imperial stout should be.

Overall, a great beer, and an excellent imperial stout. One of the great things about it is the fact that the coffee is notable, but not overpowering. It occupies a prominent place in the mix, but not to the exclusion of other flavours. Very nice.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Purchased in PDX at Whole Foods.

A - Pours a solid, opaque, black with 2 fingers of mocha head. Dissipates moderately slow leaving nice lacing.

S - Light roast coffee, wafts of dark chocolate, and cherry esters. Light bitter hops too.

T - Light coffee, dark chocolate, and piney hops. Very rich as you can imagine.

M - Super full bodied, well balanced, smooth, and surprisingly no alcohol.

D - Definitely worth the hype as it is a great beer. Very rich and full-bodied. Wish I would have busted out a cigar.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pitch black in a snifter with a... well.. coffee-with-a-single-creamer colored thin head. Lets no light through.

S - Rich roasted coffee, malts, and dark chocolate. Roastiness comes through as mostly bitter, with a very slight sweetness.

T - Roasted doffee beans up front, huge dark chocolate flavor on the back. Rich all the way through. This is absolutely delicious. The flavors are profoundly full and potent.

M - Pleasant, mildly frothy. Mouthfeel kindof gets pushed to the backburner when tasting this beer. It just doesn't make itself known in any way. Isn't slick, isn't watery.

D - Definately a sipper. The flavors are so big and the alcohol is high. It's so delicious to drink though.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up this bottle from Market of Choice in Eugene, OR. Couldn't decipher a date code on this one, so not sure how old/new it is...

Pours an absolutely beautiful pitch black color with a deep tan foamy head. Aroma has lots of roasted coffee aroma, with a faint alcohol note. Wow, smells more like coffee than beer. Taste has a slight initially boozy flavor, but that quickly fades to a heavy black coffee taste. Amazing. The darkest roast coffee you can imagine. Mouthfeel seems a bit thin for all the flavor that is crammed into this one. Hmm. Also seems a bit fizzy. If you like coffee stouts, then this can preety much hold it's own against the best. Well done.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

First time I tried this from the bottle- had it on tap once at the VT Brewer's festival. This particular bottle has been in my fridge for probably about 6 months or so.

Appearance- dark black with a healthy and active head with plenty of lace.

Smell- Coffee. Lots and lots of it.

Taste- Lots of strong coffee notes, but not as much as you'd expect based on the smell. There's a lot more going on with the taste and that's a good thing. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, caramel, subdued hop bitterness, coffee bean bitterness, and cream at the finish. Very good.

Mouthfeel- Very nice. Full thick body with a creamy finish.

Drinkability- Great drinkability for a big and thick beer. Very very good overall. Certainly worthy of its status as one of the best.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap a few times at Avenue Pub, NOLA.

A-Nice midnight black pour with a mud colored head that quickly dissipates into a little lacing on the circumference.

S-Holy coffee. Holy dark chocolate. Holy smoked malts.

T-A dominating coffee profile that is mixed well in with the chocolate. Probably one of the more coffee forward beers I've ever had. Slight hints of tobacco. You get a bit of a lactose taste reminiscent of espresso with a splash of milk and sugar.

M-Extremely light in carbonation. Very easy to drink and forget about the ABV. Doesn't leave your stomach feeling too thick.

O-Very very good.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pours a dense chocolately tan head, with a pitch black body. Looks like six shots of espresso poured into my tulip.

S - Intense roasted coffee and bitter chocolate up front. I smell some black liqourice in there too. Hops are a bit muted due to the coffee flavor, but they're still showing up in the nose.

M - Extremely viscous, such a smooth creamy mouthfeel. One of the best mouthfeels I've come across in an imperial stout.

T - I'm a coffee lover, and this one has a great roasted coffee flavor. Bitter coffee and chocolate just as the nose suggests. Tastes like a black mocha iced coffee with some hops thrown in. Alcohol is well-hidden until I get that nice warmth after the first few sips.

D - Can't give this a 5 as the alcohol does creep up on you as get into the beer. But damn is it inviting. A great beer, a great coffee stout, however Founder's Breakfast Stout still holds my number one spot. I did buy two other bottles to compare after a year or two, but I'm not sure I'd want any of the bitter roasted flavor to fade in this one.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Opaque and pitch black with fizzy tan lacing. Smell is loaded with coffee, with some orange and nuttiness in the background. Taste is a nice mix of dark chocolate, orange peel, espresso, and mint. Alcohol only rears its head in the slightest sense. Mouthfeel is very thick, creamy, and silky, and possesses some milkshake-like characteristics. This doesn't taste anyway near its strength and is extremely drinkable. Excellent.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep brown with a reasonable head due to generous carbonation. Aroma is very nice, chocolate and coffee dominate, but you have to take it in strongly. The taste is more of the same, great sweetness and coffee presence, almost like a chocolate milkshake but with a hint of alcohol and a nice balancing bitterness. The mouthfeel is near perfect for me, it's creamy and weighty without turning into an oil slick or sludge. I could drink this all night. Bonus for a great label design. I love this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to a great trade with clockwerk, I have the opportunity to enjoy this incredible Stout.

Pours a burnt-brown to a light black while making its way into the glass. This quickly recedes to a pitch black liquid with no highlights when held to light, when the glass is filled. A frothy dark beige head sits atop the brew that gives way to decent lacing.

I love gourmet coffee and that is what is prominent in the nose. In the background is roasted caramel malt and not much more that I detect.

The taste is phenomenal, like a coffee pie with graham cracker crust. Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel has done an outstanding job in blending the coffee with this brew to make it not too much and just enough to not go overboard. I detect a tad of alcohol and a bit of hop bite, just enough to compliment the brew wonderfully.

The mouthfeel is thin for me. I am used to the RIS style, so don't put too much merit on how I judge the mouthfeel. I will say it is a smooth finish that leaves me wanting another gulp! I was warned to let this one warm, but I don't want to! Which brings us to drinkability.

Considering the powerful (coffee) stout this is, I am shocked at how well it drinks! I don't care what others have said, I could drink all four of these tonight with ease!

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

"If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life."

Albert Camus

Appearance: Poured out of an 11.5 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. This beer pours an inky black color with a beautiful, dark tan colored head that seems to rise from the depths of the glass. The head looks very soft and creamy, and leaves a moderate amount of lace on the glass. Definitely one of the best looking stouts I've had the pleasure to drink.

Smell: The nose of this beer hits like a truck, smelling strongly of coffee and chocolate. This is the sort of coffee smell that makes my morning cup of coffee jealous. I'm one of those people that will walk down the coffee isle in the grocery store or in Wal-Mart just so I can smell that wonderful coffee aroma, and this beer isn't too far removed from that. Overall this is a fabulous smelling brew.

Taste: When I reviewed Founders' Breakfast Stout I thought that it was the most coffee-dominated beer in the world, but I can truly say that FBS has relinquished this crown and given it to Peche Mortel. This beer tastes like coffee through and through, with hints of chocolate and blackstrap molasses to remind you that you're drinking a beer and not an iced coffee. These flavors are very prominent in the beginning, with a wonderful richness that fades to a moderate amount of hop bitterness that is supplemented by the bitterness of the coffee, giving this beer a pleasant, earthy finish. Overall this beer lies somewhere between an espresso and a mocha, and is a true joy to drink for any coffee lover. If you aren't a coffee lover, I still urge you to try this beer, but be warned - this intense coffee flavor isn't for the faint of heart.

Mouthfeel: This is a wonderfully smooth, thick, stout. It is also very full-bodied, but I've still had better mouthfeel in a stout. Peche Mortel is near the top of the list, but it still doesn't quite reach the lofty rating of a 5.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 9.5% alcohol the bottle claims this beer has, and I could definitely see myself getting into trouble with this one. The flavors, the body, the nose, and the smoothness of this beer combine to make for one incredibly drinkable stout.

Notes: In my opinion Peche Mortel and Founders Breakfast Stout are very similar beers, but I think that Founders Breakfast Stout is just a little bit better. While they're both coffee intensive, Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel's Peche Mortel is almost too much like coffee and too little like beer, whereas Founders' Breakfast Stout it much more balanced. Despite that fact, the richness of this brew is almost unparalleled, and you can't help but to feel a bit sinful while drinking it.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

If you plot rarity against price, this beer is far into the upper right quadrant. I paid $18.99 for a 1pt 6.3oz bottle in Chicago (Dobby's in Palatine). I'd never seen it on sale anywhere else yet, so I coughed up the money to try it. The bottle was date stamped Aug 2005, one year before I bought it.

Based on appearance alone this is a top shelf stout, jet black liquid even when I put a light behind the glass. The foam is frothy and thick and fairly light colored considering how dark the beer is.

The smell is coffee stout, actually identical to Founders Breakfast Stout based on recent memory (I had a bottle 1 week ago). The taste's also very similar to Breakfast Stout, but maybe a little stronger coffee flavor in Peche Mortel. The PM bottle states ingredients as "malt, fair trade cofee, hops, water, yeast", and I assume Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel adds more actual coffee than Founders. The after-taste is more bitter than sweet, I'm guessing due to coffee more than hops. I can guess some chocolate into the flavor too.

Mouthfeel is on the thick side and matches the flavor well. Drinkability is pretty good but a little difficult for me to rate too high since a little of the flavor goes a long way.

My opinion: Peche Mortel is a great beer, maybe best of its under-represented style, but nowhere near worth its price.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep black, entirely opaque with the exception of the very edge lining the short, light brown, creamy head. Ample wet lacing slowwwwly slides down the glass. Impressive and exactly what I'd expect from a world class coffee stout.

Smell is of strong cold espresso and dark chocolate. Dry and aromatic. Nice.

Flavor follows suit. Much like Founders Breakfast Stout, lots of bitter espresso and high cacao dark chocolate. On the forefront, this is very lightly sweet--perfect in my eyes, but I can see people tasting this as too dry. Strongly bitter finish from heavily roasted, burnt malts. Very slightly boozy as it warms, but the alcohol is shockingly well hidden for 9.5%.

Tons of tiny bubbles are effervescent and tingly. Full bodied and creamy, this is rich and delicious. A fine way to relax at the end of the night.

The dryness and general lack of detectability of alcohol makes this an incredibly drinkable coffee stout for its size.

Well, I no longer have a reason to trade for Founders Breakfast. At $9 bucks for a 12oz, it is very pricy, but then again, trading for 4 bottles at 10 bucks isn't cheap either.

Great stuff.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked this up from a few folks in a few trades. Thanks to all!

A - Pours opaque black. Huge 3-finger brown head has insane staying power. Thick, chunky lacing is left behind, with a fluffy cap and thick collar. Pretty!

S - Nose starts with sweet, caramelly espresso. Toffee, chocolate, fig, and smoke come through as well.

T - Huge espresso, followed by caramel, toffee, and smoke. Slightly sweet, but balanced by roasty bitterness. Light alcohol burn.

M - Soft and creamy, medium full.

D - The alcohol brings it down a notch, but I keep wanting to go back for more.

Absolutely delicious and deserving of the accolades.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle from ryscott in a trade - thanks! Poured into an Ommegang chalice.

Appearance: A gorgeous, deep black brew - perhaps some hints of brown - with a fairly fast-fading, deep, coffee-colored head. Very inviting (especially since I didn't have my coffee this morning!).

Aroma: Pungent. Grassy in places - either from the hops or the lightly roasted coffee beans - and chocolatey in others - not sweet, milky chocolate but also not bitter chocolate, just a really nice in-between chocolate flavor. Everything reeks of coffee, however, in a good way. Light alcohol notes.

Taste: Heeere's coffee! A full range of notes, really: light, grassy, acidic, and citric half-roast; slightly darker, fuller, Viennese roast; and smoky, highly roasted (even burnt) Italian overtones. Some sweet chocolate bitterness, but it's also milky and creamy in places. No alcohol, no bitter astringencies - like a delicious coffee java milkshake in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Big bodied and fluffy, even and creamy. Medium-sized bubbles. Near perfect.

Drinkability: Turns out I didn't need my coffee this morning! The best coffee-infused beer I've ever had. Absolutely delicious, and it really covers the full range of potential coffee notes you can get from a beer, from dark to light, sweet to bitter, refreshing to warming. A really excellently crafted beer.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured out like a dark Guiness, black with a cascading light brown head, thick and creamy. The nose was wonderful freshly roasted and ground coffee, cherry, a bit of chocolate, alcohol, and a bitter/sour component, marvelously balanced.The taste starts like a hug amount of the best most deeply roasted coffee you've ever had, then goes sour and bitter before coming back with a slightly bitter coffee finish. There's a hint ofalcohol heat and some cherry along the way. The mouthfeel is in my opinion what makes this beer. It is at once creamy and smooth as well as crisp and clean. It's a big boy of a beer, but it was a great treat.

As far as I know (or frankly, as far as I could understand the waiter who served me), this beer is only available at the Brasserie in Montreal. They do bottle it, but it's not allowed to be taken off the premesis. There are apparently plans to expand the production facilities and distribute the beer. My waiter said sometime in the spring it should be more widely available. Also, a big thanks to him, it wasn't on the menu, but he managed to snag me one from their private stock in the basement.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As black as the night is long. Black hole black with a a light, mocha colored head, comprised of very fine and thin bubbles, leaving a clear-cut separation between the brew and the foam. Almost floats up and perches like the type of head you'd expect in a nitro-tap brew. Impressive looking little coffee stout, here... hold the cream and sugar, no doubt.

The aroma is unadulterated, straight up dark, roasted coffee. Italian espresso roast. Burnt ass French roast. Just insanely roasted, oily, dark, nearly burnt and charred coffee beans. Whoa... what's this? There's a very faint, underlying sweetness in the form of creamy vanilla that works to balance the roast. But balance isn't the key, here. The appreciation of fresh coffee beans is, so step back and appreciate, son.

The taste is more of the same. Lovers of all things java will appreciate this brew like crazy. Dark roast, like you've been handed a roasty, black cup o' joe from the promise land itself. A mild creamy and milky undertaking soothes things out for the wimp in all of us - but the roastiness is still a monster here, imparting delicate bitterness and mounds upon mounds of fresh coffee flavor.

A little astringency on the very back end with a subtle touch of deep, depp prune-like sweetness. Wow, I'm loving the ride that this beer is taking me on. The mouth feel is as oily as the beer looks; thick and boisterous, taking no prisoners. Carbonation is but a rolling boil, and it works really well to retain the creamy and smooth characteristic of the beer, matching the flavor profile nicely.

I had always heard about this stuff and wondered if it was really as good as everyone says. Short answer... yes, it is. It's fabulous. If you're a coffee lover and addict, like myself, then you need to treat yourself with this beer. The coffee element is nearly second to none with it's excellent aroma, flavor, and layered characteristics. Definitely one of the top coffee stouts I've had to date.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

On cask poured into a wine glass.

Pours pitch black with almost no head at all. Nose is dry bitter coffee and light sweetness.

Mouthfeel is lackin on cask, it's a bit flat. Otherwise it's phenomenal, rich and roasty with a nice light bitter finish. Phenomenal.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

11/5 oz bottle date notched at 4 and 5 or 6(?) served in a St. Bernardus snifter at an initial temperature of about 50F. .
Poured very dark brown color, looking nearly black in the glass, with a moderate size tan head than soon died to a lasting but partial top coat. Leaves the sides the glass well coated with lace after each sip.

The aroma was loaded with coffee and sweet dark roasted malts. Occasional hints of dark and milk chocolate, as well as vanilla. Not much alcohol present in the aroma of this 9.5% ABV ale, but enough to add some interesting overtones. The rich coffee was a bit too much like used coffee grinds as opposed to fresh ground beans.

T: not surprised to find a pronounced black coffee flavor mixed with a full load of dark roasted malts. Intense, but not at all challenging due, in part, to the excellent sweet/bitter balance. No burnt, charcoal, or other off flavors here. The lingering finish kept a nice mix of roasted malt and coffee, without the unpleasantly high level bitterness that almost always accompanies this.

M – Full bodied, almost thick, with just the right amount of carbonation. The creamy texture leaves the mouth nicely coated and would earn a 5 if not for the slight harshness from the alcohol, which is inevitable if admirably low with 9.5% ABV.

O: Superb. This finely crafted coffee stout is one of the best examples of the style I have ever tried, better than FBS I think, with an excellent quantity of coffee and balancing sweetness. Highly recommended

Poured into a snifter.

Absolutely beautiful looking stout out of the bottle. Ridiculously dark and impossible to see through. Another brew that looks as if it could run a car. A good pour gives it a finger-sized head that's lightish brown and dissipates slowly, leaving a thin film at the top with a good amount of curly, lazy lacing. The smell is almost all coffee; if I didn't know better, I'd think I got this from Starbucks or some other coffee shop. There's a very slight malt undertone behind the coffee, as well as a bit of an alcoholic tinge.

The first sip gave me a bit of an alcoholic twinge, which was pretty surprising, but it gave way to the signature coffee flavoring. Bitterness is present throughout and lingers into the aftertaste, but it's coffee bitterness, not hops, which were actually not detectable at all. Coffee gives way to some dark chocolate flavoring as well as some very very slight malty character. Back end finishes off somewhat sweet. Coffee and chocolate stay long into the aftertaste, leaving you wondering if you just drank espresso or a beer. Aside from the initial twinge, there is very little alcohol taste present. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, lightly creamy with a body that lingers on the full side of medium.

Drinkability is fairly good for such a high ABV brew. The look, smell and taste certainly entice you to drink more. However, unlike coffee, you probably shouldn't down a lot of these to try and wake up. As an after-dinner dessert-type drink, definitely.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown, almost perfect black, with a hint of garnet. Thick solid dark mocha head (~2 fingers) with fantastic retention and thick, thick lacing.

Initial and obvious aroma of red grape booziness, wheat/barley, cream, chocolate malt, and smooth coffee.

Interesting mix of flavors: powdery cocoa, smooth creamy coffee, and a not insignificant bit of dark fruit booziness. Mostly follows the nose, but in different proportions. Lots of wheat, and a pleasant finishing bitterness.

Not particularly thick - about medium to medium-full - but certainly full-flavored. It may not be a particularly chewy beer, but it's definitely a sipper, with significantly cloying residue.

This is an excellent, smooth, creamy, and tasty coffee stout. The coffee is smoother, if not exactly more subtle, than in beers like FBS. This could easily work as a breakfast or dessert stout, as the coffee works for the former, and the sweetness for the latter.

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel