Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

BeersAndBears, Apr 06, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

WolfsbaneBloom, Nov 28, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

Yeah, not only did Raul do it, Raul did it well and good.

Now, the main man himself ain't too knowledgable about anything French - poutine at that - but what Raul became well versed with tonight was Peche Mortel; and if all the homies could, they would scream, 'Oui Copain!' I mean, this thang is poppin' like it was fresh on the Oregon Trail and got lock jaw. Chocolate, coffee... and the 'roasty' flavors are subtle, yet sublime.

So, like the girl across the counter whom poured Raul his beer; I see you peepin' me girl, and just like Peche Mortel, I like you too.

RaulMondesi, Nov 02, 2013
4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

A - pretty much black with a finger or so of mocha head

S - A ton of roast and coffee, chocolate.

T - Coffee, chocolate, roast, some bitterness, hint of alcohol.

M - Medium to heavy body, a good amount of carbonation. Smooth.

O - A great coffee imperial stout.

s1ckboy, Dec 09, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured out like a dark Guiness, black with a cascading light brown head, thick and creamy. The nose was wonderful freshly roasted and ground coffee, cherry, a bit of chocolate, alcohol, and a bitter/sour component, marvelously balanced.The taste starts like a hug amount of the best most deeply roasted coffee you've ever had, then goes sour and bitter before coming back with a slightly bitter coffee finish. There's a hint ofalcohol heat and some cherry along the way. The mouthfeel is in my opinion what makes this beer. It is at once creamy and smooth as well as crisp and clean. It's a big boy of a beer, but it was a great treat.

As far as I know (or frankly, as far as I could understand the waiter who served me), this beer is only available at the Brasserie in Montreal. They do bottle it, but it's not allowed to be taken off the premesis. There are apparently plans to expand the production facilities and distribute the beer. My waiter said sometime in the spring it should be more widely available. Also, a big thanks to him, it wasn't on the menu, but he managed to snag me one from their private stock in the basement.

dherling, Jan 11, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Let me start by saying that I am by no means an authority on Imperial,Coffee or any other kind of stout.I haven't had enough to develop a true appreciation for the style.I haven't had KBS or CBS to compare this to but this is one beer that truly overdelivered for me with absolutely no BS.

A-Pours a menacing,opaque,30W black with some reddish,brown and a 1/2 inch,perfectly formed,creamy brown cap of densely packed,tiny bubbles that retreated slowly leaving beautiful,sticky lacing.

S-Dark chocolate ganache,fresh espresso,dark malt
and barely burnt toast.The aroma of this beer was enough to make me a converted stout lover.

T-Unbelievable!Initially,I got dark roasted malt,bittersweet chocolate and burnt marshmallow and then finished with chocolate-covered espresso beans,roasted,bitter almonds and fresh,French press coffee.

M-Full,rich and viscous.Maybe not as thick as I would have liked but this beer still blanketed the tongue nicely.Silky,smooth and well balanced.

D-I am not a stout fanatic but I could drink this ALL night.Absolutely no sign of the 10% ABV.A truly remarkable beer.

10/30/10-I had Founder's Breakfast Stout for the first time last night and I would choose the Peche Mortel over it every time.

StlHopHead77, Aug 12, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8%

fizzyted, Apr 09, 2014
4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle served in a snifter

Appearance: Pours black with half a finger of a tan head that leaves some light spotty lacing. Body is opaque.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, some caramel, vanilla and a slight char.

Taste: Similar to the aroma with roasty and coffee notes being most prominent. Dark chocolate and burnt malt are present in the finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy, viscous mouthfeel. Medium levels of fine carbonation.

Overall: Good coffee stout and worth picking up if you see it. Though there's nothing that sets it apart from some of the other really excellent coffee stouts out there.

Jonada, Apr 07, 2013

EigenBeer, Oct 03, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Served into a tulip slightly chilled from a 12 oz bottle, it pours a dirty motor oil black with hints of ruby tones. A 2-finger-thick chocolate colored head forms at the top. I wait about 5 minutes to actually take a sip, and I notice the head has not changed one bit!

Aroma is of roasty, bitter chocolate and coffee. Burnt coffee is the best way I can describe it. Some butterscotch also comes through on my nose a bit as well. not terribly complex but very pleasing.

Expecting a bit of sweet coffee (caramel mixed with coffee) but this is not what I expected. A big hit of roasted malts and coffee hit my palate very hard. It gives way to a sweetening on the finish. Not as dry on the finish as expected, and not boozy at all for 9.5%.

Feel is very nice. Roasty and dry up front, but a nice chewy cold-season brew.

Awesome brew to drink. I wish I had a 22 oz. It'd make a nice brew to have a few to warm you up on a cold winter's eve.

Fish113d, Dec 28, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

A: the pour was very nice and filled with deep reds, crimson, browns, and maybe some burgundy hues. Once settled in the glass a collective "black" color could be claimed. The pour produced a soft brown sugar colored head, fizzy at best and quick to dissipate. The inner walls of the glass contained a few erratic splashes of lace. Overall a good look

S: smells of deep, roasted, dark malts and coffee, mostly coffee. Coffee beans are of the strong bitter oily variety. They say Fair Trade Coffee...nice. I think I am gonna love it!

T: chockfull of coffee! As my nose mentioned before; bitter, roasted, and oily coffee. This has to be, to date, the most java based beer I have ever had. What makes things nice is it has a delicate sweet cream character, or sugary caffè latte based touch. Malts are deeply roasted and a touch on the burnt side, from what I can tell. If you love coffee, as do I, you owe it to yourself to try this and will be flown to paradise!

M: when I poured this brew I noticed that it had lighter dimensions. The body is a nice creamy and hearty mild, but not near some other stouts I have had. The body is a notch above thumbs up!

D: even though I am head over heels for this coffee bomb of a brew. I must add that it has a single goal and lacks in overall complexity. It is a stretch to include much else in this brew but...you guessed it, coffee! Oh yea, where's the alcohol???
I still give it high marks for the "bean" boldness that it puts forth. I really am floored by this brew!

Magpie14, Feb 17, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Tulip.

A. 3+ finger dark tan head. Great retention. Excellent lacing. Color is jet black. Very nice appearance for an Imperial Stout.

S. Great coffee imperial stout aroma. Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt. Coffee is the dominant smell for me.

T. Taste is also very coffee forward. Roasted malt, dark chocolate, bitter coffee. Well balanced and smooth. A great beer for coffee lovers, which I am not but still appreciate a good beer when I taste one.

M. Medium/full bodied. Nice mouthfeel. Adequate carbonation.

D. A very well crafted Imperial Stout. If you like coffee beers I can't imagine one better than this. I love Imperial Stouts but don't necessarily love the big coffee ones. This is a great beer for sure, just not my favorite Imperial Stout.

siradmiralnelson, Feb 06, 2011

davegray, Aug 12, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8%

CurtisD, Mar 11, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Sampled a bottle of aged Péché Mortel bottled in September 2003. This isn't the batch sent down to the States via Shelton bros.

Appearance: Again, lights-out black, with a thick light brown head, maybe not as clingy and rich as the freshly tapped version.

Smell: Almost no difference here, roasted, kahlua and milk...

Taste: Coffee bean goodness, and as creamy a Beer as I've ever tasted. The alcohol finish is just a little more present in this version, but still doesn't feel close to 9%, more 3-4%.
Nice roasted, almost burnt bitter finish.

Goldorak, Mar 05, 2005