2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,243 | Reviews: 1,585 | Show All Ratings:
largadeer

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Black with a slight opacity as it thins - it looks much like espresso. The head falls flat a bit quickly, reducing to a small ring.

Smell - Intensely bold espresso with a touch of burnt toast.

Taste - Like a cappuccino with 80% espresso and 20% milk. It has a touch of sweetness, but the coffee flavor is intense and consuming, pushing the malt to the background. The burnt bready character from the aroma carries over, leaving an acrid, drying bitterness on the palate long after you've swallowed.

Mouthfeel - Rich, silky and deceptively drinkable.

Notes - A great coffee stout, one of the best I've tried.

03-14-2008 01:01:29 | More by largadeer
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a nice black/red with a decent head. The smell never reached me until I poured this great brew. Once the smell reached my nose I detected alcohol, coffee, and oh yeah...coffee.

The taste is...ummm, coffee. I enjoy this brew. It had a slightly stale taste at the beginning. After that taste the stale taste never come back, thankfully.

Overall, this is a great beer. Not really what I was expecting BUT great none the less.

03-12-2008 22:42:30 | More by iconoklaztor
bassmantin

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black with a fine red tint toward the bottom of the glass. Small bubbles can be seen, and the head is very fine and dark tan with strong lacing.

Smells is of good with reasonable hoppiness. Not a whole hell of a lot going on, but I'm optimistic.

Upon tasting, the coffee flavor hits immediately. It's a bit more subtle than, say, the Breakfast Stout, but still very nice. The finish has a good alcohol taste with a bit of hoppiness. Not bad. A very good beer. I love coffee stouts.

Update: I just tried this one again. I would echo the nice coffee taste and lingering alcohol in the finish. To extend to comparison to the Breakfast Stout, I would say the coffee taste in this one is a bit more thin/watery that the BS but still quite good.

03-12-2008 22:31:01 | More by bassmantin
BeerZack

3.85/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to geuzelover for this sample.

Completely Black. Nice brown creamy head that leaves good lace.

Smokey charcoal, herbal coffee-like notes, bitter chocolate, some alcohol smell.

Slightly bitter coffee and dark chocolate flavors almost balance each other out, with the coffee having the edge. Herbal hop finish, tad astringent.

Soft creamy mouthfeel and medium body make it more drinkable.

03-05-2008 08:40:57 | More by BeerZack
triplecoil

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

Poured a pitch black with no head to speak of. Nose was coffee and chocolate with some bourbon alcohol. Taste was espresso and bitter chocolate with some woodiness. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth, nicely carbonated, and didn't stick around much.

This was a very, very nice stout. Would definitely enjoy another.

03-02-2008 00:15:39 | More by triplecoil
Mudpuppet

3.85/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to papat444 for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a black with no head.

S- Very odd nose. Almost super gluey. I get some of the dark malts with coffee and chocolate. A bit of charcoal on the nose too.

T- Coffee for sure. This has a strong acetyl taste too. I really like how it tastes but it is an odd flavor at the front. Very little hop character.

M- Good carbonation. This is a beer that you taste then it is gone. It does not stick around in your mouth very long.

D- I got a couple bottles of this and I am very happy to dispose of it. I like this beer a lot.

03-01-2008 04:47:04 | More by Mudpuppet
tpd975

4.97/5  rDev +13%

Well it's review number 300 for me and I have been saving this one for several months until I hit this milestone. A big thanks goes out to franksnbeans for sending this one over.

A: Pours black as night with a huge two finger espresso colored head. The head lingered for quite some time before dying down to a simple collar. Nice thick lacing in spots. Overall a lovely looking beer.

S: Wow coffee to the max. Tons of fresh brewed coffee aromas come wafting from the glass. The coffee aromas are backed by just a hint of charcoal. A tinge of sweetness can be detected, but the pure coffee aroma of this one is better than those found in world's best coffee houses.

T: Holy Shit!!! This is the one; I have died and gone to heaven. This one gets my highest marks. The taste is off the charts. Tons of fresh espresso hits the tongue and rushes thru the mouth and down the throat. The flavor was so intense. It just hung around on the tongue with the perfect degree of bitterness. There were hints of charcoal and smoke, but the coffee is what this one is all about. I started drinking this one at 51 degree and let it warm from there. As it warmed just a hint of sugary sweetness and milk can be detected beneath the wonderful coffee taste.

M: Medium bodied, very smooth almost creamy. This beer went down wayyy tooo good for 9 percent. God I am in heaven.

D: Uber, the best, I love it. The perfect beer for morning noon or night.

Well folks I didn't think the day would come but here it is about as close to 5.0 as you can get. I absolutely love good espresso and beer. So much that my 3 year old greets everyone by telling them "my daddy drinks coffee and beerer" Yes she calls it beerer. This concoction is the perfect marriage between the two. From the first drink I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I love Bell's Java and ST Jah-Va, but this beer is in a class all its own.

Do what you have to do to get it, and if you have extra give me a shout I will give my left arm to drink the foam.

franksnbeans thanks for letting me try this "mortal sin" I am truly indebted to you for this one.

02-23-2008 00:27:37 | More by tpd975
Floydster

4.53/5  rDev +3%

12 ounce bottle from seaoflament, thanks a lot for trading me this treat from Canada, poured into my Russian River pint glass tonight while watching the season finale of Prison Break

A-Black color with absolutely no light shining through, the tan head was so big, about two inches, that it overflowed all over my counter, nice retention as well, probably about five minutes, some impressive sticky lacing towards the beginning

S-Aroma was like a fresh cup of coffee with no half and half or sugar, just straight, also dark chocolate, roasted malts, as it warmed there was a hint of fermented raisins and prunes, coffee was almost completely in charge though

T-Very similar to its scent, huge coffee flavor during the whole hour plus that I was drinking it, tasted some nice sweet cream which added some deep complexity to the brew about a half hour into it and it continued to get stronger as time went on, did not taste dark fruit at all, just a little milk and some extremely dark chocolate causing some bitterness in the aftertaste, nicely balanced overall, think hoppiness would have just ruined what this beer was about, very enjoyable and I wish I had more than a single bottle

M-Dry mouthfeel caused by the abundance of coffee, a little bitter at first, then became nice and creamy, thick super black body, does not stick to tongue very much or cause a noticeable sensation, light carbonation that fit it well

D-Bottle actually says 9.5%, did not seem like though because the alcohol was hidden so well, taste does not get tiresome, not that heavy on the stomach, would have gotten a perfect score here if it was not so strong, very smooth and easy to drink

Have really wanted to try this brew since joining this site, have heard nothing but great things about this brewery in the past, will definitely drink again in the future and stock up on it when I finally make it Quebec some time, cannot wait to visit the source of this great beer, highly recommended even if you are not a big can of coffee in your brew, unforgettable taste, need more of this stuff soon

02-19-2008 05:20:29 | More by Floydster
bloberglawp

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

Pour pitch black with a frothy marshmellowy off brownish white head, even the lace has a texture! Wow!

Big coffee and bitter chocolate aroma, soft astrigent aroma of fresh ground coffee. Mouthfeel is silky and soft with a carbonation that scrubs the palate clean having you want more. Flavor is coffee, burt malts, and dark coco, it is quite a delicate beer. It's not a "in your face" stout as one sometimes gets with these big dark brews.

Very balanced, quite dangerous as the glass goes down fast and the alcohol is very well cloaked.

02-16-2008 02:52:26 | More by bloberglawp
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz bottle dated November 2007.

Pours opaque black with a one-plus inch head of dense, brown froth. Very pillowy and soft in appearance.
Aromatics are loaded with strong coffee, bitter chocolate, and roasted malts.
Very roasty and chocolatey with plenty of espresso notes.
The mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Chewy with gription aplenty. Drying but still plenty of residual tackiness.
The pallet is assertively packed with heavily roasted coffee oils, dark chocolate, and char.
All the flavors are layered perfectly, even for a beer so top-heavy with coffee.
Hopping is minimal, and the biiterness seems to come from the coffee.
Finishes slightly warming, with lingering coffee and chocolate, and a hint of vanilla.

I think the key to this beer is the an extremely high grade of coffee beans, and the balancing thats achieved with them.

I would love to try this one after spending some time in a bourbon barrel.

02-12-2008 23:13:22 | More by brewandbbq
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

This is the first in a series of highly aclaimed stouts I have been waiting to try for some time.

A milk chocolate brown head with big bursting foam bubbles races to 3 fingers and has amazing retention. Body is as black as Elvira's eye shadow. Nose is big with fresh coffee but also brownies with walnuts baked in. Super smooth on first sip as it rains off the tongue and floods the mouth with creamy sweetness. Roasted coco beans are rich and stay chocolatey on the back of tongue long after each swallow. An ever so slight bitterness does arrise twords the end of the palate, but this just adds to the balance. Some winey dark fruits even show there face as the beer warms a bit. Rich bitter coffee like feel makes up a long but welcome mouthfeel. Alchol is well disguised and only shows itself in the belly. A very very good stout worthy of all the praise over the years.

02-12-2008 03:02:25 | More by SPLITGRIN
bennetj17

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Deep black appearance. Thin, tan foam rests atop, but only for a moment as a pencil thin ring survives. The smell is very intense, with charred, roasty coffee beans, and dark chocolate galore. Hints of cherry and mild alcohol peer through as you smell further. Amazing.

The taste has a strong coffee character with the bitter roast keeping my lips smacking. Drying finish with a long lingering bitter chocolate note. So well balanced, never too sweet, it's too easy to drink for its strength. The mouthfeel has quite a bit of carbonation for a stout, very nice but bordering on too much perhaps? Very smooth, not overly chewy thick.

This beer has amazing flavor, perhaps not the ultimate in complexity, but it's well rounded enough that I could drink one anytime, all the time. Thanks to northyorksammy, I've been wanting to try this one for awhile...

02-10-2008 04:17:17 | More by bennetj17
sammartin68

Quebec (Canada)

Perfect beer! Appearance like a guinesse, smeel coffee, torecfation, chocolat, caramel. So a complex beer and one of my favorite! I try this beer at my home and my friend said : WOW MAN THIS IS AMAZING.... I dont know what i can say about this . Ah yes, AMAZING

01-31-2008 03:31:46 | More by sammartin68
NCSUdo

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 341 mL bottle; bottled 9/07; bottle via a very generous ncvbc

A: Pours a dark brown under a half fingers worth of brown head. A little bit of lace and some wispy retention.

S: Smells of raw coffee, a little bit of sweet cream, maybe some very dark fruit thrown in and some roasted malt. Coffee is the main character here though.

T: Just like the nose, big coffee, a hint of a sweet chocolate, a little bit of alcohol on the back of the tongue and roasted malt bitterness in the finish. Big bitter coffee aftertaste.

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation is light, a little slick on the tongue. Drinkability is good on this one, smells and tastes like a cup of coffee. If you love coffee, you could easily tie this one on.

01-31-2008 01:38:54 | More by NCSUdo
IntriqKen

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looking for coffee?
It's right here.
Wow.

Poured jet black with a creamy tan topping of fine bubbles that leaves a nice tan ring of sticky lace.

Aroma is pure coffee...rich, dark, espresso coffee.

Taste is again, espresso coffee...fresh and rich...just enough cream and sugar to balance the bitterness of the coffee. Dries to a nutty kind of coffee bean aftertaste that makes you think of starbucks...lots.

Alcohol is totally hidden.

01-10-2008 06:03:53 | More by IntriqKen
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

22oz bomber served at cellar temperature and poured into a Middle Ages Imperial Pint Glass

A – Poured a thick as molasses oil like liquid which slowly churned around and settled into my glass giving off a huge billowing pillow like head of tan colored frothy suds that just seemed to keep rising until it reached the very lip of the glass. Once it decided to stop growing it eventually came back down to the top of the thick viscous liquid leaving behind just tons of side glass lace. There was really a thick and warm look to this one, really, the classic look of a good RIS.

S – The aroma was loaded down with coffee, literally just a ridiculously strong aroma of deep roasted coffee with a nice amount of sugary sweetness added in. This was truly a coffee stout if I had ever smelled one. There was no touch of alcohol present in the aroma at all; it was just a healthy mixed of roasted coffee beans, sweet lactose sugar, and a nice full roasted malt attack. The aroma was very full really full and one of the tightest and most full of coffee that I have seen in quite some time.

T – Where to start here. First off I had to mention this somewhere so I might as well mention it here. There was definitely caffeine present in this. When I first opened this bottle I was quite tired, and by half way through the first pint I was wide awake, the coffee in here was so evident that it literally wired me. A very strange feeling indeed and not one I was expecting. The flavor was full on rich coffee stout. Lots of espresso like flavors, a, mild hint of vanilla and a ton of lactose sugar was what I had greeting me. The finish was very dry and drawn out with that long lingering weird kind of buzz feeling you get after a couple cups of coffee. A really nice little picks me up. No hint of the alcohol in here at all, this was all big time stout, and really wonderful at that.

M – This was definitely a large full bodied dessert beer. Very thick, almost like a shake in consistency but it never got dull due to the large amount of carbonation that was present throughout the entire session. Really rich I actually was sipping on this most of the time because it was just a really thick and creamy stout and a gulp would simply be a waste.

D – Superb, I would have loved to have another of these. The alcohol you would think would catch up to you after a bit, but I guess the caffeine evened it out, but by the end I was raring to go and definitely would have loved to have had another one. I could see putting down this on a regular basis and making it a regular in the winter rotation would be an easy thing to do.

Overall this was excellent, really a finely crafter beer and one of the best examples of the style I have ever seen. The use of coffee was superb and the sweetness brought into the mix really helped to balance out the whole profile. This was easily something I would have to recommend and to be honest, something I would really like to seek out. Go get this if you can.

01-03-2008 00:08:31 | More by mikesgroove
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter, The liquid is black, with good carbonation. The head is 1 small finger, dark mocha, fades to a ring and leaves little lace. A swirl of the glass picks the head right back up, Nice. I would like to see a thicker coating on the glass and some lace.

The smell is great, Lots of big strong coffee, and a bit of earthy hops is detectable.

The Taste is very good, yet it seems to be one dimensional not very complex. The coffee is strong, and bitter, could have a bit of dark chocolate as well. The after taste is great as well.

The mouthfeel is outstanding, wow is it great, a velvety smooth creamy feel over the back of the tongue. The carbonation feel is excellent and the body is just short of full making this beer really outstanding.

The drinkability is Excellent, I sure wish I could buy this here.

Big thanks to Northyorksammy for this excellent brew.
Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

01-02-2008 06:18:26 | More by MuenchenerKindl
GbVDave

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled on 08/05

A: Pours a pure ebony. Quoting Spinal Tap here, "none more black". Creamy two finger, espresso crema colored head that leaves random gobs of lace coating the glass.

S: Heavenly aromas of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, espresso, brown sugar, raisins, chocolate covered cherries, etc...

T: Huge espresso/dark roast coffee flavors, along with bitter dark chocolate, burnt black roasted malt, cocoa powder, chocolate milk, raisins, spiced plums, fresh green hops, and brown sugar/molassas. Amazing!

M: At once bitter and creamy. The bitter coffee and hops do a spicy little dance on the tongue that lasts a long time. Absolutely masterful!

D: Incredible! This is the last of a three bottle Peche Mortel haul I made and I've been sitting on this bottle for about a year now. I am amazed at how sharp and flavorful it has remained (especially the hop flavors). Why is it that the good ones are so hard to find?

12-27-2007 04:31:54 | More by GbVDave
DoubleJ

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

I was pumped to see this beer in a 6-pack...until I visited the brewery and found this beer on-tap two days later. This beer was poured into a tulip and cost me $5.25. On to the beer:

This beer is as black as night, topped by a milky tan head. This is one of the most beautiful presentations I've seen. A beautiful coffee aroma rises from the beer and it isn't very heavy smelling. Now it gets interesting, I don't drink coffee, but this beer is highly rated. I'm afraid to go along any further with this...

Oh good lord, delicious! Is this coffee, or is this a stout? The two parts create a perfect marriage of flavor. Is this the mortal sin? I'm going to be going to hell after I'm finished with this. Unbelievably smooth. Alcohol is very well hidden. It's surprisingly sweet like chocolate given the coffee flavor put into the beer, which pleasantly lingers on the palate after every sip is complete.

Ever seen a grown man cry? My draft is finished and I want more. I now feel very spoiled trying the draft version, and it lives up to the clippings, and more. But I can relive the experience at a later time after buying a 6-pack, which currently sits in the refrigerator of my house.

How highly acclaimed is this beer? Well, when I was at the brewpub, the bartender shared stories of customers driving 10 hours out of their way and paying as much as $80 a bottle to try it!

12-26-2007 17:04:27 | More by DoubleJ
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Courtesy of papat444- big thanks!
Poured into my Surly Darkness glass. A seemingly worthy beer for the darkness. Beautiful ebony with a surprising amount of milk chocolate head. Nose- all about the coffee so far. Really nice roast- not too dark. First sip- wow what a mouthfeel. Just glides on down. Really unique- the particular coffee used along with the drak malts imparts a sharp bitterness/burntness to it. A much darker burnt roasting than the nose suggests. At the same time, there is a touch of sweetness to the malts. very complex brew and commands attention! Very drying in the finish. Excellent beer, but the strong ash/burtness is a little overdone.

12-15-2007 22:38:29 | More by oakbluff
Phyl21ca

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a huge foamy head with excellent retention and some nice lacing notes. Aroma consists of espresso type coffee with some notes of black chocolate. Taste is a well balance mix between some sweet and roasted malt with a dominant taste of espresso coffee with some notes of black chocolate. Very well balance overall with a full body and a creamy texture. Not cloying or overly dry in any way and alcohol is not apparent.

12-10-2007 19:36:46 | More by Phyl21ca
rodenbach99

3.73/5  rDev -15.2%

bouteille brune de 341ml.

noir comme du charbon, la mousse en subit, elle qui est brune aussi, nez puissant de café torréfié, au goût le café ce fait sentir encore plus, il est piquant, la finale est longue et amère encore une fois piquante, l'alcool ne se fait trop sentir. produit intéressant mais à mes yeux pas exceptionnel. à revoir

11-26-2007 13:14:08 | More by rodenbach99
flexabull

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

341 ml bottle courtesy of ncvbc, thanks again!

Notched date of Sept. 07. This bottle has many miles on it... from Quebec, to South Carolina, to Northern California.

Beer pours a thick flat black color, with a decent sized off white head on top.

Aromas are coffee dominant. Sweet and sugary with dark coffee notes along with some cocoa as well.

First sip, mmm... definitely coffee forward on the flavors. But not overpowering, and very natural tasting. Some coffee beers I have tasted seem to taste like with coffee flavors that seem artificial. Not here. A sweet cocoa like flavor, dark bakers chocolate, and of course brewed dark coffee. Finish is dry and slightly bitter as well.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels a touch thin for a Double Stout, but it's certainly not bad.

Drinkability is very good. The hype is justified. This is an excellent stout. I prefer this to the two "Breakfast" stouts from Founders. I bet this beer would even taste good served hot.

11-26-2007 02:46:50 | More by flexabull
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

Bottle purchased on a recent trip to Montreal. God am I glad I brought back a 6-pack

I've only given one other perfect score(Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout) but this one is my new benchmark brew. The coffee aroma is intense. Dark robusta espresso smell and flavour. This beer was velvety and incredibly smooth on the tongue. The aftertaste is so rich, it leaves a mocha flavour on your tongue that lasts. Alcohol is listed on the bottle as 9.5% but I can't tell when I'm drinking it. It is so well hidden that it sneaks up on you. It also seems to give you a serious caffeine buzz. So drinkable, this beer will keep you wanting more, but if you want to remain coherent, 1 is enough in a sitting.

A great winter beer, I am going to savour this 6-pack all season long. It's among the best in the world and is worth seeking out.

11-22-2007 22:27:23 | More by Hornet2003
alexgash

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +3%

341 ml bottle bottled 9/07. Thanks to franksnbeans.

Dark chocolate black body with a finger of lacy, cobwebby, cocoa brown head. Roasted coffee bitterness with oily dark chocolate, black licorice, vanilla, tobacco, and dark rummy fruit sweetness.

Crazy roasted malt and coffee bitterness up front. Dark, strong espresso-like in intensity. Hints of dark, stewed, sweetish fruits show through mid-palate. Oily, rich, intense roasted coffee and dark chocolate bitterness take over again though and dominate through the finish. Wow. This is the strongest coffee-tasting beer I have ever had! Full-bodied with an oily feel. I am afraid that this will keep me up all night!

11-19-2007 00:25:22 | More by alexgash