Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
01121987

Quebec (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev -8%

A- poured this beer ten minutes ago and it still has a 1/4 inch head. jet black as expected. lacing all down the side of the glass.

S- smells just like my french press after its been sitting around and has cooled down, just before i wash it out.

T- initially it is quite bitter and has predominant alcohol flavor but this fades into flavors of coffee with a perfect lingering bitterness. same aftertaste as my morning cup o' joe but with a little more bitterness. alcohol is quite apparent but not harsh or unwelcome.

M- has medium-high but perfect carbonation. a little sweetness but finishes dry and bitter. i think this beer could use some more body and mouthfeel. thats what would give it my a+.

D- as far as imperial stout goes it is quite drinkable but not as drinkable as my favorite impy.

this is a good beer and i can see why others rate it higher than i did. i am just comparing it to the best iv ever had. wont name it but you can see it in my reviews. also, i dont know what the rest of you pay for it, but since their in my home town i payed about 2.75 for 12 oz bottle which i consider an incredible value!
great work DDC!!!

04-19-2009 00:31:13 | More by 01121987
damienblack

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

I've been to Julio's 4 or 5 times now, and all the times I've only seen this one bottle of Peche Mortel. So I grabbed it quickly to see what all the fuss is about.

Pours thick, syrupy almost black. Tan head, decent but not amazing endurance on it. Not much lacing, but some nice carbonation bubbles. Smells very strongly of coffee, that's the overwhelming aura.

Taste is well worth the hype. An absolute coffee bomb, tastes like fresh coffee, without being too over the top about that aspect. The coffee flavor dominates, licorice and sweet cream sugar take a second. Not a lot of chocolate malt, the roastiness and coffee reign supreme, and are the lingering flavors thereafter. Just a hint of hops to help cut through all the gobbledegook. Nice and creamy, not the biggest, awesomest mouthfeel, but enough to carry the flavors forward. I don't like to give 5s easily for any aspect, this is right on the cusp, but the flavor is concentrated enough, yet carries enough else to it that it warrants it, barely. Drinkability is great for something of this magnitude. A little boozey on the throat after, but you hardly notice, since you're drowning in coffee awesome. I want more, nao. Top notch!

04-18-2009 06:18:39 | More by damienblack
Martin2D

A - Pitch black with a dark tan head that fades and laces.

S - Coffee, chocolate

T - Coffee, roasty, deliciousness...epic in flavor, slight alcohol aftertaste

M - Medium carbonation, full in body and creamy mouthfeel

D - Creamy, delicious. Unbelievable in flavor and needs to be experienced. One of the best beers in the world for sure.

04-17-2009 04:21:59 | More by Martin2D
stagger

Alberta (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Sometimes a beer reminds you that there must be a higher power in the universe. How can simple ingredients combine to make something so rich and rare?

I've just had my first Peché Mortel and I'll tell you this: it's not going to be my last, not by a long shot. Big, roasty flavours with complexity and balance, liveliness in the mouth (but not too much; think Unibroue on just a sweet little dose of valium), and a very more-ish drinking profile combine for a near-perfect brew. Best coffee stout I've had yet. A "mortal sin" worth perdition.

04-16-2009 04:31:12 | More by stagger
rasta16ry

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

This is one of my favorites, but I want to review it because I just had it for the first time in a while and it was a tasty treat.

Brutally dark, with a strong coffee aroma and almost looking like syrup, I poured this into a stemless wine glass and let it sit for a while with its dark tannish head as it warmed up to about room temperature. For me that's my favorite way to drink it.

Unmistakably coffee-like and dark, but still very drinkable, Peche is expensive but worth it for the small bottle. It alternatively tastes like burnt malts, strong coffee, creamy and almost milky, but it is all good. Oh I almost forgot the chocolate elements in there as well, bouncing off the coffee nicely.

Overall this might be my favorite beer if I had to pick one, but it's definitely in my top ten. If you're in the mood for a coffee/chocolate stout, this is the best bet if you can find it. Derishous.

04-15-2009 14:58:43 | More by rasta16ry
Sean9689

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours black as night with a nice tan head into my Dogfish Head snifter. Smells like coffee/expresso, and sweet chocolate. Tastes like strong coffee stirred with milk chocolate along with a small dash of alcohol at the end. The finish on this beer is great...just like I finished a cup of freshly ground coffee or took a nice expresso shot after dinner. Mouthfeel is rich and think (but not too think for this beer) and I enjoy every sip. I will drink this beer again, no doubt. This is a great beer to end a wonderful dinner or just when you're looking for some expresso/coffee without drinking actual expresso/coffee. A must-try.

04-14-2009 00:45:50 | More by Sean9689
bum732

Lesotho

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a darker than dark black, nice tan head. Smells of strong coffee, roasted malt, some chocolate, . Tastes of strong sweet coffee followed by a nice acidic bitterness. Big bold coffee all over the place. Some chocolate in the finish, finishing quite sweet. Alcohol is slightly present.

A fantastic beer. Definitely let this baby warm up, when its cold, it has that mineral taste which is very off. That said, a very good beer, very powerful, definitely a sipper.

04-13-2009 02:34:02 | More by bum732
scottyshades

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

I LOVE this beer. Picked one up at Stein's Deli in New Orleans (go there if you can) when I asked for the chewiest stout he offered.
A: Pours pitch black with no hope of light seeping through. The head that is produced is tan and dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing along the glass. A sight of pure joy!

S: Coffee, burnt malts, raisins, dates, roasted espresso beans...HUGE espresso notes, which is quite a feat to conquer, that is to capture this note and put it into a beer

T: Burnt malts, fair trade coffee, espresso beans, I thought there would be dark fruit, but none here. A little smokey note at the finish. Again, no faults.

MF/D: Very chewy, full body, smooth going down, not bitter, not dry- just perfect!!

This is the best beer that I have ever had. If you like chewy, balanced, knock-your-socks-off flavor, seek this one out

04-13-2009 01:19:01 | More by scottyshades
alcstradamus

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

A--Hard pour yields a wonderful two finger light brown head. This is opaque black, just how it should be. Lots of lacing down the glass too.

S--Mostly coffee in the nose, and a very good variety of coffee at that. Taking a huge whiff will definitely clear your sinuses and probably wake you up from a slumber. Actually, this smells almost identical to a black coffee from Starbucks.

T--Holy cow. Unexpected. I mean, I knew it was going to be a coffee bomb but there is a milky creaminess to this that makes me wonder if they threw a few cups of half & half in the batch as well. The taste itself is mostly coffee, and apparently a very good coffee at that because this tastes so fresh. Even Founders Breakfast Stout, which I love, tastes like 8 hour old coffee to me. This tastes fresh brewed.

M--That milky creaminess I referred to really shines here. Its not as thick as something like Bourbon County Stout or Speedway Stout, but it is in my opinion a perfect balance between rich cream and solid carbonation.

D--A bit too one dimensional to be extremely drinkable, but still very solid overall

If you like coffee stouts and haven't had this, you are missing out.

04-10-2009 04:27:55 | More by alcstradamus
TroyS

Idaho

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

I picked this sucker up at MarCellars in Idaho Falls. It's in a bottle, but the date mark is not informative enough for me to be able to announce her age;) This Coffee Stout pours dark dark like motor oil, but not so thick; it's dark as night as a whole, but really thin, so when it's held up to a bright light, it's difficult to recognize how dark it is because it appears to be a darker nut brown. It hit my mouth with a rather lite/bubbly booze reinforced warm Imperial feel. The decent and rather thick head dissipated quickly to not hardly a trace being left on top and nearly no lacing either. Huh...odd I think, but hey...it's a double stout pushing the 10% mark, so I suppose that it should be expected. Quite frankly I'm a bit embarrassed to say that there's not enough coffee coming out in this one, rather a chocolaty alcohol. Most certainly belongs with the bitter ones which lingers on and on. One thumb up for the beer on its own and one down for being a five buck brew to marcellars, but muchO thanks to Marcellars for carrying some really good beers!

04-09-2009 22:23:42 | More by TroyS
stumac

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

This brew is 1 year aged....

it pours black with a decent tan head. great retentive lacing on my Triple Karmeliet glass. the nose is dry chocolate, bitter coffee, spicy hops, a little bit of alcohol spice. the taste is very bitter, dry, coffee beans, dark chocolate, subtle wood,full bodied, low spritzy yet smooth carbo. leaves a long lasting delicious taste in your mouth. Good stuff...

04-09-2009 19:43:28 | More by stumac
greg202stewart

Rhode Island

This one left me with an incredible buzz from just one bottle, maybe because its brewed with coffee. The appearance is a dark black with a light brown head. It smells of spices and strong coffee. It tastes much like a great coffee with so much intense flavor, definitely meant to be sipped and enjoyed. It has the slippery feel of oil in your mouth. This is a true masterpiece

04-09-2009 13:15:00 | More by greg202stewart
Casey10

Maine

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall a fantasic beer. The appearance was dark and chocolate. The smell was really good for a beer like this. The taste was exceptional, burnt, chocolate sugars, coffee, mouthfeel burns like it should. The drinkabilty was fantastic for a beer like this. Don't pound it just enjoy it !!!

04-09-2009 01:00:46 | More by Casey10
jdskinns

This was so good. I'm a huge fan of stouts and was very impressed with this beer.

Appearance - black pour with a brown head that neither faded out or was too thick. Had the head coloring of what I expect from a good stout, some deep brown to it, not the usual white you see with any beer.

Smell - amazing coffee smell from the beginning. As with KBS, I would be happy if this came in an air freshener/inscence scent. If my house smelled like this year round I would come home happy.

Taste - what a taste. This was so good even compared to a night before of drinking KBS. Add a chocolate note and its the same beer. I am beyond pleased with the taste of this beer. Exceptional.

Mouthfeel - thick and syrupy, but in no way a bad thing. This beer definitely sticks with your palate. If you're drinking another stout or something you're planning on fully tasting, wait on this one. It stays with you. So good though, what I expect a good stout to be.

Drinkability - this is no all day beer for sure, but it goes down so smooth for the style. I couldn't get enough of this one, it makes me want more.

In all, a great beer. I highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of stouts.

04-06-2009 06:17:16 | More by jdskinns
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from the bottle a rich jet black with two fingers of creamy tan head.

Aroma of dark roasted malts, coffee beans, dark ripe fruit, raisins, caramel, vanilla, and a bit of booze.

Deep taste of espresso upfront along with dark chocolate, caramel, and vanilla. Finishes with espresso and a touch of bitterness. The alcohol is present but doesn't distract from the taste.

Full bodied, rich and creamy, with a moderate carbonation.

I expected a world class imperial stout and was not disappointed.

04-02-2009 21:07:14 | More by Monkeyknife
callmemickey

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pitch black body. Thin khaki head. Nice retention of the head cap. Spotty lacing.

S: Rich roasted coffee. Dense. Like walking into a local coffee shop. Its not simply one blend. Complex and invigorating. Hints of coffee and caramel.

T: Doesn't quite live up to the nose... but thats something I find quite common with these upper level imperial stouts... the nose tends to to be the stand out feature. But this certainly is no slouch. Rich coffee, espresso, chocolate, roasted caramel and a ever so slight hint of alcohol.

M: Smooth. Ideal carbonation. Excellent lingering aftertaste.

D: Perhaps the most drinkable imperial stout I've had that has this much coffee in it.

Merci beaucoup, Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

04-01-2009 00:53:18 | More by callmemickey
jwolfie70

Thanks to Overlord for this beer.

Poured a dark brown, with a thin tan head. Smell is of coffee, with only a hint of malt sweetness. The taste was more of the same. A good stout. If it was available in Northern California, I could see myself drinking more of this.

03-31-2009 23:45:44 | More by jwolfie70
htomsirveaux

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

11.5 oz. bottle tried 26 Mar 2009. Courtesy of jtrockchalk, thanks again!

Poured in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Small dark foamy head, lingering. Very dark brown with reddish highlights, opaque. Aromas of coffee, sweet dark malt, tobacco, smoke. Tastes very much like a cold espresso. Lots of coffee throughout, lots of dark roasty malt. Dark chocolate finish and aftertaste. Did I mention all the coffee? Heavy creamy body. Ethanol is warming and pleasant. Very tasty, very easy to drink.

If you like coffee stouts this is your beer.

03-28-2009 14:18:43 | More by htomsirveaux
Aenema

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance - Pitch black, soapy 1.5 inch tan head with nice lacing.
Smell - Roasted malts, coffee.
Taste - Black coffee, some bitter chocolate notes. This is an intense, bitter beer, but a very enjoyable one with a great depth of flavors, particularly coffee.
Mouthfeel - Medium body, light carbonation with fine bubbles.
Drinkability - Full, rich flavor. Very nice sipping beer that does a dangerously good job of masking it's alcohol content.

03-28-2009 03:17:32 | More by Aenema
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

12oz bottle pours into my large snifter courtesy of Bobsy. Many thanks again for making this beer a reality for me!! Saved it for a special occasion, just got accepted into grad school - so this is it!

Pours a viscous jet black with a finger of tight cappuccino head, leaving good lacing all the way through.

Smells of fresh, gourmet coffee coffee, some dark chocolate, molasses, dark malts and a hint of alcohol tucked away in there.

The taste is luxurious. Lots of fresh coffee, surprising amounts of chocolate, molasses, and rich, full malts. Again, alcohol in the back. It drinks surprisingly easy for such a big brew, moderate/heavy body compared to the viscous way it pours. My only complaint is the slightly stronger presence of the alcohol than I would like.

This is one great coffee stout. So rich and complex while still highlighting the coffee front and center. I'll keep this one on my wants list!

03-28-2009 01:52:02 | More by ritzkiss
tigg924

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: black, small barely existent head

Smell: smoked wood, earth, coffee, very complex...arguably the best most complex smell from a beer I have had

Taste: smoked wood, earth, expresso, some chocolate, noticable alcohol

Mouthfeel: sharp, heavy, and full bodied

Drinkability: The smell is amazing. I could probably only have a couple due to the high ABV. The alcohol is noticable to me. Very good and complex. This is a sipper and this beer gets more bite as it warms.

03-27-2009 15:07:59 | More by tigg924
ClockworkOrange

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 11.5 ounce bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a dark brown, nearly opaque color with a solid two fingers of creamy chestnut colored foam. The foam leaves a thick lacing on the inside of my glass as I sip my way to the bottom. The nose is unmistakeably that of fresh roasted espresso or other rich coffee beans, dark chocolate, deep roasted grains, alcohol, and molasses. The taste is full of coffee and chocolate. I can tell that a high quality coffee was roasted and infused into this stout. Bittersweet chocolate and baker's cocoa are also present as well as molasses and mocha. I'm not to keen on the bitterness that comes through in the finish, it just seems out of place. If it was wasn't for said bitterness, I would have scored a 4.5 for taste. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Overall, a fantastic coffee infused stout. If you like coffee, you'll dig this one.

03-27-2009 02:16:56 | More by ClockworkOrange
locstir

Kentucky

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Peche Mortal is one of the biggest coffee stouts I have ever had. It pours out black and thick as coal and has an aroma of fresh roasted coffee and hint of chocolate. The taste is almost pure coffee with splashes of chocolate,anise, and alcohol. It would make a good after dinner beer or for the hardcore a great breakfast beer.

03-26-2009 19:52:03 | More by locstir
abfraser

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pours black, dark brown with a massive roasted brown head. This is a great looking beer.

S: Big time dark roasted coffee aromas. Other standard imperial stout descriptors, such as chocolate and roasted malts also present. But the biggest characteristic on this one is the coffee. Smells deliciously fresh brewed.

T/M: The coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts are all there. Slight chewiness to the mouthfeel but overall this is a very smooth and well-balanced imperial stout. It doesn't try to go overboard, which I appreciate. Bitterness is a little distracting on the finish, but overall this is an excellent one.

D: Very smooth for such an intense beer. If it wasn't $10 a bottle, then I'd rank this higher

03-26-2009 02:01:27 | More by abfraser
ricke

Sweden

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Serving date: 2009-03-23. Served in pint glass.

A: The pour is rather thick, almost black with a fantastic head - Very big, pale brown color, thick and very creamy (almost reminiscent of a nitro-induced head). Very good head retention. The beer looks really great. Might be the best looking imperial stout I've ever had.

S: Plenty of espresso-like coffee aromas, very rich and powerful. Freshly ground dark roasted coffee beans, plenty of dark chocolate, roasted malts and notes of toffee.

T: Very rich and powerful. Strong espresso flavors, freshly ground coffee beans. Big dark chocolate flavors as well making the taste resemble that of café mocha. Some creamy notes. The coffee flavors are backed up by a very firm stout-backbone with a solid sweet maltiness. Some nuts and molasses. The bitterness in the finish is gentle and has a coffee bitterness feel to it. Some warming alcohol in the finish, but other than that the alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Full bodied, soft carbonation, slightly sticky and rather smooth.

D: This is a great beer with a wonderful espresso-like coffee profile. Rich, rather complex, powerful and dense. Even though the coffee flavors take the lead, it still feels very well balanced.

03-25-2009 22:58:56 | More by ricke