Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

Jet black! Featuring an impressive tall brown foamy head. Excellent lacing.

I am in love with this smell. An abundance of roasted malt and fresh brewed coffee. Vanilla bean, creme brulee(burnt sugah) caramel creme candy, melted milk chocolate, toffee, slight dark fruit (to a lesser) raisin? fig??

Taste is quite bitter, like a fine cup of freshly brewed black esspresso, with loads of lingering roasted malt. Some burnt sugar and dark chocolate, very little sweetness, slight heat but alcohol for the most part isn't all that noticable.

Moderate levels of carbonation and a very creamy nearly chewey texture on this medium to full bodied sipper.

THis is one of the premier big coffee stouts on the market. Dangerously quaffable @ nearly 10 percent! A helluva brew for coffee fans.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

A-pours jet black with a quarter inch dirty tan head
S-huge cofee notes with a bit of chocolate and a little bit of sweetness and a bit of alcohol
T-Big coffee taste dominates the flavor with a little bit of chocolate and sweet malt tagging along in the backgroundand a bit of alcohol that is well blended in
M-full body with a strong carbonation a bit too much for me
D-a great tasting beer with a huge coffee taste definately worth having again

Hype is a dangerous thing. I have to admit I was expecting to absolutely blown away by this beer. I was very impressed. Not the messiah of beers but very good. Nose is quite potent, could smell it well before I got it into the glass. However it's a fairly stock-standard Imperial stout nose. Heavy on the coffee and roastiness, bit of vanilla. Very nice but perhaps lacking any individual charcter. Silky smooth, it just slides down with an extremely long and satisfying finish. Some tasty chocolatey sweetness stands out. A mighty tasty brew indeed but a touch too much espresso for me.

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance-Pours a dark slick near-black brown with a coffee-tan colored head, thick chunks of lace are left along the sides as the head recedes.

Smell-Freshly ground coffee beans, this beer smells like coffee plain and simple mingling with some chocolate almost like an alcoholic mocha latte, me likey.

Taste-HOLY....wow, just, just wow. Darkly roasted coffee of an espresso-like intensity followed by rich bittersweet chocolate; it's just like the nose only MORE. It's delectable.

Mouthfeel-It's definitely not the fullest imperial stout I've had in terms of mouthfeel but that raw, acidic-coffee palette-cleaning quality really gives a nice crispness to the tongue while you drink.

Drinkability-Extremely drinkable, I wish I had another bottle on hand; next time I get it I'll be sure to grab two.

Notes-I am both a coffee lover and a chocolate lover, I'm one of those people who wakes up every morning looking forward to that mocha latte to give me that cocoa and coffee fix. This beer is basically that in alcohol form and crafted brilliantly, if you're at all like me in your love for things chocolaty and coffee-like you should definitely pick this one up.

3.83/5  rDev -13%

From 11.5 oz bottle to pint glass. There are (2) sets of numbers 0 through 9 for notching on the label, but someone must have called in sick on label notching day.

A: Pours with a huge 3 1/2 finger head. Frothy, creamy, fluffy, and chunky. Beautiful. Medium dark brown head and very long lasting. The body is pitch black and completely opaque.

S: Malts are heavy and roasted with ENORMOUS fresh ground coffee aromas. Resiny hops and a yeastiness that reminded me of rain soaked leather. There is also a weird, uncomfortable and slightly off-putting meatiness to this brew. (Honestly, venison came to mind and I'm not sure that's a good thing when discussing beer.)

T: Luckily the taste is an improvement from the smell. Semi sweet on the nose and palate, particularly the mid-palate. Rich, robust, coffee, bitter baking cocoa mixed with Hershey's syrup and charred wood. The chocolate is EASILY dominated by the intense coffee flavor and aroma.

M: The body is medium at best and slightly disappointing. Much thinner than expected. Although this brew is creamy and sticky, it is no where near sharing the mouthfeel qualities of the best Imperial Stouts. The carbonation is soft but the silver lining is that the softness allows the lactose quality of this brew to come through. Finishes bitter with an acridness that I did not find very pleasant.

D: I'm not really sure what the hype is here. Good but not great, at least to me. I'll have to try another down the road. At the time of this review, and much to my surprise, Péché Mortel is in BA's Top 100 and I'm not exactly on board the hype train.

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

I'm going to keep this review simple.

"Black as midnight on a moonless night" - Agent Dale Cooper. Twin Peaks.

Pretty much sums up the appearance and taste of this beer.

1/2 inch head, nice lacing. Obvious aroma of coffee. Burnt coffee grounds, coffee with the added bonus of booze.

Nowhere near as smooth as KBS, nor as tasty. I want a velvety texture, and this beer isn't cutting it. Nowhere near as complex, I'm not sure why people insist on comparing the two, other than the shared coffee taste.

However, looking forward to possibly finding this on tap when I head to Montreal. I'm thinking the bottle I found here in Grand Rapids is pretty old and dusty. I think I need to taste this from the source, and then re-review.

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours very dark brown, almost black with a mild tan head that leaves very little lacing.

Aroma is smokey dark grain, coffee, chocolate and anise.

Taste is very rich and full. Intense smoke and charred grain is softened by smooth chocolate, molasses and dark fruit sweetness. Finishes with leafy tobacco and espresso coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. Smooth and soft.

A rich and flavorful stout. Flavor is big and bold, but restrained.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a deep dark black with no light poking through, almost no head to speak of, just a soap ring of dark brown bubbles.

The nose is huge, big roasted malts, dark coffee, bitter chocolate and a touch of anise.

The flavor doesn't let up after the aroma onslaught. Big and complex with dark sweet fruits, coffee, chocolate, a light smoke and a big black burnt bitterness to even out the sweetness of the alcohol and fruit. Very complex as it warms I get some maple and oak as well and the smokey bitterness seems to build the more I drink, buy the end its almost a bit on the bitter side.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and very oily leaving a long lasting bitter tongue coating, feels like it will linger on for days.

This is truly excellent, does a great job living up the hype that has been established for it. Looking forward to more of these in the future.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 11.5oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is dark brown as it pours then black once its all in the glass with a one finger light mocha head that dissipates within a few minutes into a small cap.

Smell certainly has the aroma of coffee, sweet and bitter at the same time. It contains roasted malts and a mild chocolate hint in there as well.

Taste is similar to the smell in that is has a very nice flavor of sweet and roasted coffee. Its pretty tasty and complex with roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate and a nice bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation that leaves a nice little bite on the tongue. As it warms it becomes much smoother.

Drinkability is great. Its a nice flavorful coffee stout and goes down pretty easy for me. The alcohol was only barely noticeable after if warm up for a while. I would still say its a once a time brew for me, based on price but certainly worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

This is my final brew from this brewery so hopefully ive saved the best til last,it pours a jet black oil hue that lets no light in whatsoever with average carbonation that leaves a one finger mocha laced head and a rim of clingy lacing,the smell from this brew is a mix of boozy alcohol,dark coffee,blackcurrants and dark plums,it has an above average mouthfeel which is a cross between thick and medium which is rather easy to down and makes drinking more than one of these tempting even though the ABV is recognisable it is somewhat hidden to give the appearance that this is less than its 9.5%ABV and exudes tastes of dark expresso,plums,blackcurrants,mocha and really rich dark chocolate,overall this is a really decent brew that id rate probably second best of the six offerings i have had from this brewery and would drink again.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Beer #43 on my beer tour. They got one keg at the Fairlawn location, so I finished my housework and decided to make the 35 minute drive down I-271 to I-77 and visit the city I used to work in back in the day. I had 2 pours, about 10-12 oz each in an open mouth tulip style stemmed glass. I was so thrilled to get the chance to have this beer on tap - I've had bottles before but always questioned their freshness. As this was the only keg the distributor got, I felt lucky to try this great beer fresh and from a premium draft establishment.

Came a bit too cold, but I palmed the tulip until it got in the 45 degree range. This beer looked like a magazine cover. Absolutely perfect - tan creamy head is one finger but sticks around, topping the black body. Opaque and impenetrable to any light. A legendary looking stout.

Smell is great, nice roasted malt meshes perfectly with the coffee. Touches of chocolate and black strap molasses. Not terribly expressive coffee component like some American coffee beers - this meshes well. Lactose sugar is present in the nose as well. A nice coffee and cream thing going on, could be a bit more expressive though IMO.

Taste is just short of perfection. Huge roasted malt presence. Coffee, chocolate, molasses. Touch of sweet cream then a bitter end that doesn't seem hops driven, more like coffee bitterness. Very flavorful and deep and complex. Really a great tasting coffee beer, I would kill to try the bourbon version side by side with a KBS because I think the taste here gives FBS a run for it's money. Touch of alcohol noticeable as it warms, but nothing distracting.

Mouthfeel was such a delight - starts off light and I thought it would be watery, but there's a huge viscous layer underneath that gives a milkshakey consistency. Carb is light w/o being too light. I loved the mouth on this beer!!

Drinkability was wonderful, on an imperial curve as this is a 9.5% and means business. But I had two pours because one just wasn't enough. Loved this beer, worth a trip to have on tap. Thanks to the Lizard for bringing in this lovely treat!

3.43/5  rDev -22%

12oz bottle, served at 55*F

A- Black, nice thick and black with a beige head that does not last too long. Nice lacing left behind.

S- Sweet coffee, dark chocolate, alcohol.

T- Bitter coffee, char, dark roast malt, bitter coffee. I'm also picking up the faintest chocolate and dark fruit.

M- a bit thin for the amount of coffee and bitterness. Could be sweeter and thicker, possibly less carbonation.

D- not one of my faves by any means, nothing horrible at that. I can finish the bottle no prob, but I don't think I'll drink the second- rather save that one for a later date.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Reviewed from my notes. My pour was from a vintage 2009 keg. The beer is black with a tan foam head. It is thin in the center, but thick and clinging to the sides at its edge. There is a healthy amount of clinging and rising carbonation. They are working their way through the foam, causing a few bubbles to appear on top. It has a bitter, roasted dark chocolate aroma. It smells a lot like fresh coffee beans. The flavor has tons of coffee bitterness throughout. There is some sweet malt flavor in the back that provides a great base. I don't have much else to say about the flavor, other than the simplicity of my review doesn't do the taste justice. This is a medium bodied stout. It leaves a good coat behind that is sticky but not overly sweet. In fact, it's mostly bitter. I find it to be a pretty drinkable coffee stout. I'm not a coffee drinker, and though the coffee flavor is strong, it isn't too bad. This beer is recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a bottle from Brass Rail, and I couldn't hold on to it any longer. I poured it into my handy snifter.

A - Pitch Black, perty looking mocha colored head.

S - Coffee and Booze. Think I'm in love with the strong coffee aroma.

T - Very strong coffee flavor, roasted malts, and then the lovely smack in the mouth of Alcohol.

M - Very strong Alcohol presence has a mighty kick to it, but I love it.

D - I find this to be quite drinkable.

3.2/5  rDev -27.3%

First off, thank you for the twist off cap. It males it much easier not needing an extra tool to drink my brew.

A - very dark with a tall tight tan head.

S - chocolate, roasted malts. Nice and complex, but a bitter level as well.

T - smoky chocolate coffee. Mild alcohol after taste.

M - solid coating. Tingling on the front of the tongue. Mild alcohol tingle on the back of the throat.

D - the flavor is good but the alcohol taste and burn would push it out of the all-night arena.

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - Tons of coffee, bitter chocolate, and roasted malts

Appearance - Dark with a brown head that quickly dissipates to a collar

Taste - First impression is all coffee and bitter notes. Maybe a touch of alcohol too. All I'm getting is burnt coffee and bitter with hints of alcohol. Got a little better over time but still searching for something positive but that's not the way beer tasting should be. This beer smooths out with time and warming into flavors of coffee and roasted malts but still a lot of bitter.

Notes - Really a twist off cap?

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

pours a thick black color with maybe a hint of cherry with a nice thick head and sticky lacing that recedes to a tan fresh head..the smell is semi sweet chocolate and roasted coffee toffee smells and malt..the taste is the same but with a smooth coffee and chocolate blend much different then the smell..the taste is bold and super rich but very balanced between coffee and malts and chocolate..mouth feel is full and thick and coates your tongue in coffee and chocolate..not a big alcohol burn either @ 9.5 its well hidden..its a costly stout but worth the $ for the taste highly recommended

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

This is one of the thickest, densest blacks I've ever seen. A brown head sits on this one at a couple fingers, bringing the obvious comparisons to a latte or cappuccino. It's extremely dense and thick, retains exceptionally well, and leaves thick rings of lacing behind.
The aroma is a rich, robust medley of roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, and dark coffee. It's very nicely rounded with earthy notes and just the slight sweetness to balance out the bitterness. This one is fresh-roasted, just-bagged exceptional beans, not Folgers.
A big, malty espresso comes through first, bitter but not burnt or acidic, giving way to the taste of an extremely high cacao (85%+) dark chocolate, roasted barley and coffee never fading, then finishing with a sort of creamy notes and lingering sharp/sweet notes. The alcohol peeks through now and again, especially on a sip, but is otherwise well masked.
The body is everything I could have hoped for; rich, robust, incredibly creamy, smooth, and full-bodied with just enough carbonation to perfectly round it out.
Well, this one's definitely a sipper; exceptionally big and very heady with a high ABV. Obviously it's delicious. While I'd love as many as I could put down, there are only so many one could drink at a time.

4.18/5  rDev -5%

Had to buy a second bottle seeing as I am an oaf and spilled the first on on the carpet. I have the stain to prove it....

Dark as sin with an amazing tan head with better retention than the historical wrongs some Qubecers cling to. Ditto on the lacing.

This might be on beer where the aroma worsens, albeit very slightly, as the beer warms. Very nice expresso aroma complete with that slight almond touch.

Ditto on the taste. Expresso, touch of black forest cake, and a hint of smoke. Booze from the 9% ABV doesn't make itself known untill the finish...and the it's TOO LATE...

Full bodied and very, very smooth mouthfeel.

very, very worthy of any beer freak's time.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

I've had this on tap at the brewpub before, and that's made me pretty damn biased against the bottled version (especially at the several State Line Liquors tastings during which I've been served this beer... turning my nose up thinking about the offering I had on tap). But I'm breaking my self-imposed rule of only reviewing beers if I'm on my final bottle of a (bomber/4pk/6pk/case) and reviewing this with 4 bottles left in my wonderful boxed 6 pack purchased my my even more wonderful girlfriend during her trip to Montreal.

A: Aside from the head being a surprisingly lighter brown (like Ovaltine with too much milk) than expected, this is exactly the beer one would expect. Served in my nonagonal pint glass, it looks juuust right. The high alcohol content leaves a tiny bit of just-hanging-on lacing on the top of the glass.

S: The reason I've given this category a lower score than the others is because, like a few high-alcohol beers I've had, there isn't as much of a robust smell left as one would desire. I had a bottle of Founders' Breakfast Stout before this and was blown away by being able to smell it so strongly as I poured it (on a counter littered with the remnants of a tomato and basil salad, no less) and this beer is lacking in that department. Of course, I'll be posting a separate review next time I have it on tap, as that's a whole different story. Either way, gorgeous notes of coffee, chocolate, and lactose are picked up on the nose.

T: Worth every accent aigu that's been expended to name this amazing beer. Tastes of bittersweet dark chocolate, followed by the taste of a creamy... well, I must refer to my girlfriend's moniker to describe a chocolate flavored iced coffee: "mocha drink." The fact that one can find this enchanting flavor in a beer that is almost as boozy as red wine is quite the achievement. I drank this out of the refrigerator, which means it's likely in the 40 degrees Fahrenheit range. I know that's too cold for a lot of Imperial Stout drinkers, but it's right on the money for this particular beer: it shows its alcohol content more than the average below 10% brew. I tend to chalk that up to the beer tasting so damn fresh, and I can only imagine what changes it goes through when it's been aged in a cellar (perhaps I'll let you know about that when I own more property than a 2nd floor apartment).

M: Creamy. Maybe I'm biased, as during the day I drink my coffee black - but this is something I would welcome for breakfast every morning if I were confident in my ability to hold a valid driver's license. It's delightfully smooth and creamy, and the coffee flavor is merely a small part of what makes it so special. One would swear that whole milk is involved to give it such a heavy, creamy mouthfeel - but that's just the wizardry of Dieu du Ciel at work.

D: I'm the kind of guy who'd order a chocolate milkshake at one end of the boardwalk... and end up craving another for my walk back. So for me, the drinkability warrants a perfect score.

I know this is $5+ per bottle in the United States. I know. It's $20 or less for a six pack in Quebec, so if you get a chance to visit, buy a lot of it. But for now, reconsider the $8+ bomber of stout you're going to buy from some American microbrewery and buy a 12 oz. bottle of this instead. You'll be oh so glad you did - and you'll be inadvertently helping out the Montreal tourism industry - as a trip to Vices et Versa and the Dieu du Ciel brewpub will be in order ASAP.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

I really wanted to try this beer after having the beer geek brunch. To see which one was better.

A: Jet black when it is being poured, it has a nice deep brown head, which slowly fades.

S: Smells of rich coffee.

T: You get a nice roasted dark coffee upfront, with a mild/moderate chocolate afterwards. When it settles for a minute, all of the flavors really get kicked up a notch. The finish turns slightly bitter chocolate and coffee.

M/D: The lingering taste of this beer goes on for quite some time. Very thick mouthfeel, the drinkability is the same as a starbucks coffee. It is really good while you drink it, but as for a repeat, you dont need another one for a couple of days. I enjoy this beer, and I have to say, I like it better then beer geek brunch. Both are great though.

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a deep dark black color, with an appropriate level of brownish foam. Intense espresso/coffee bean aromas on this one, along with some roasted malt and a bit of hop. On the palate, I again get a huge hit of coffee, balanced nicely by roasted malt, dark chocolate and alcohol. I had heard nothing but raves about this beer, so I was a bit let down. Still, it was pretty solid.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not available in British Columbia which is a crime against Canadianess. I'm a West Coast IPA fan (see Central City's Red Racer), but this brew also makes me proud of what Canada is now achieving for beer quality. Finally in Montreal and had a glass at the Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel.

There are many expert reviews of this wonderful beer and there is not much more to say.. I saw its biggest strength as mouthfeel. I'm often disappointed with stouts or variations that feel watery. This was perfect. What an amazing balance between the coffee taste and bitterness. It gives IPA fans like me a bitterness fix but with rich cofffee instead of fruity flavours on the front end.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a DFH snifter.

A - Pours a very dark dark oily brown very close to pitch black. There is a very thin dark tan head that is about .25 inches.

S - First off a very strong but at the same time smooth roasted coffee aroma. Very delicious. Then there is some nice sweet chocolate accompanied by some mild vanilla spice. Very well a balanced aroma.

T - Absolutely delicious. Smooth and creamy chocolate flavor comes up front quick but is quickly overwhelmed by a great roasted coffee flavor. There is nice chocolate sweetness and bitterness as well as that nice coffee acidity at the end. Some mild bitterness is perceived at the end but the roasted aftertaste is more prevalent.

M - This beer has great mouthfeel. Good full body and nice complex profile of flavors. Creamy and delicious.

D - Incredible drinkability for style and ABV.

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

This brew poured black with a brown rim. Small head dissipated quickly to tan lacing. Very fine carbonation.

Coffee and caramel on nose - like a coffee soda. Rich roasty aroma. A little wet earth character - good terrior - smells of freshly brewed coffee.

Roasted coffee with a caramel and milk chocolate essence. Earthy and bitter finish. Very strong brew. There's a black pepper kick to this beer as well. This is a full-bodied beer. The alcohol does come through on the palate.

This is a mouth-coating brew! 51.99 second finsh! What a knock-out of a beer!

Very rich, thick and big. Drinks like it's over 9.5% alcohol. This is one of the best beers I've had of this style! Fantastic offering!

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel