Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours very dark brown, almost black with a mild tan head that leaves very little lacing.

Aroma is smokey dark grain, coffee, chocolate and anise.

Taste is very rich and full. Intense smoke and charred grain is softened by smooth chocolate, molasses and dark fruit sweetness. Finishes with leafy tobacco and espresso coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. Smooth and soft.

A rich and flavorful stout. Flavor is big and bold, but restrained.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a deep dark black with no light poking through, almost no head to speak of, just a soap ring of dark brown bubbles.

The nose is huge, big roasted malts, dark coffee, bitter chocolate and a touch of anise.

The flavor doesn't let up after the aroma onslaught. Big and complex with dark sweet fruits, coffee, chocolate, a light smoke and a big black burnt bitterness to even out the sweetness of the alcohol and fruit. Very complex as it warms I get some maple and oak as well and the smokey bitterness seems to build the more I drink, buy the end its almost a bit on the bitter side.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and very oily leaving a long lasting bitter tongue coating, feels like it will linger on for days.

This is truly excellent, does a great job living up the hype that has been established for it. Looking forward to more of these in the future.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 11.5oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is dark brown as it pours then black once its all in the glass with a one finger light mocha head that dissipates within a few minutes into a small cap.

Smell certainly has the aroma of coffee, sweet and bitter at the same time. It contains roasted malts and a mild chocolate hint in there as well.

Taste is similar to the smell in that is has a very nice flavor of sweet and roasted coffee. Its pretty tasty and complex with roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate and a nice bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation that leaves a nice little bite on the tongue. As it warms it becomes much smoother.

Drinkability is great. Its a nice flavorful coffee stout and goes down pretty easy for me. The alcohol was only barely noticeable after if warm up for a while. I would still say its a once a time brew for me, based on price but certainly worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

This is my final brew from this brewery so hopefully ive saved the best til last,it pours a jet black oil hue that lets no light in whatsoever with average carbonation that leaves a one finger mocha laced head and a rim of clingy lacing,the smell from this brew is a mix of boozy alcohol,dark coffee,blackcurrants and dark plums,it has an above average mouthfeel which is a cross between thick and medium which is rather easy to down and makes drinking more than one of these tempting even though the ABV is recognisable it is somewhat hidden to give the appearance that this is less than its 9.5%ABV and exudes tastes of dark expresso,plums,blackcurrants,mocha and really rich dark chocolate,overall this is a really decent brew that id rate probably second best of the six offerings i have had from this brewery and would drink again.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Beer #43 on my beer tour. They got one keg at the Fairlawn location, so I finished my housework and decided to make the 35 minute drive down I-271 to I-77 and visit the city I used to work in back in the day. I had 2 pours, about 10-12 oz each in an open mouth tulip style stemmed glass. I was so thrilled to get the chance to have this beer on tap - I've had bottles before but always questioned their freshness. As this was the only keg the distributor got, I felt lucky to try this great beer fresh and from a premium draft establishment.

Came a bit too cold, but I palmed the tulip until it got in the 45 degree range. This beer looked like a magazine cover. Absolutely perfect - tan creamy head is one finger but sticks around, topping the black body. Opaque and impenetrable to any light. A legendary looking stout.

Smell is great, nice roasted malt meshes perfectly with the coffee. Touches of chocolate and black strap molasses. Not terribly expressive coffee component like some American coffee beers - this meshes well. Lactose sugar is present in the nose as well. A nice coffee and cream thing going on, could be a bit more expressive though IMO.

Taste is just short of perfection. Huge roasted malt presence. Coffee, chocolate, molasses. Touch of sweet cream then a bitter end that doesn't seem hops driven, more like coffee bitterness. Very flavorful and deep and complex. Really a great tasting coffee beer, I would kill to try the bourbon version side by side with a KBS because I think the taste here gives FBS a run for it's money. Touch of alcohol noticeable as it warms, but nothing distracting.

Mouthfeel was such a delight - starts off light and I thought it would be watery, but there's a huge viscous layer underneath that gives a milkshakey consistency. Carb is light w/o being too light. I loved the mouth on this beer!!

Drinkability was wonderful, on an imperial curve as this is a 9.5% and means business. But I had two pours because one just wasn't enough. Loved this beer, worth a trip to have on tap. Thanks to the Lizard for bringing in this lovely treat!

3.43/5  rDev -22%

12oz bottle, served at 55*F

A- Black, nice thick and black with a beige head that does not last too long. Nice lacing left behind.

S- Sweet coffee, dark chocolate, alcohol.

T- Bitter coffee, char, dark roast malt, bitter coffee. I'm also picking up the faintest chocolate and dark fruit.

M- a bit thin for the amount of coffee and bitterness. Could be sweeter and thicker, possibly less carbonation.

D- not one of my faves by any means, nothing horrible at that. I can finish the bottle no prob, but I don't think I'll drink the second- rather save that one for a later date.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Reviewed from my notes. My pour was from a vintage 2009 keg. The beer is black with a tan foam head. It is thin in the center, but thick and clinging to the sides at its edge. There is a healthy amount of clinging and rising carbonation. They are working their way through the foam, causing a few bubbles to appear on top. It has a bitter, roasted dark chocolate aroma. It smells a lot like fresh coffee beans. The flavor has tons of coffee bitterness throughout. There is some sweet malt flavor in the back that provides a great base. I don't have much else to say about the flavor, other than the simplicity of my review doesn't do the taste justice. This is a medium bodied stout. It leaves a good coat behind that is sticky but not overly sweet. In fact, it's mostly bitter. I find it to be a pretty drinkable coffee stout. I'm not a coffee drinker, and though the coffee flavor is strong, it isn't too bad. This beer is recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a bottle from Brass Rail, and I couldn't hold on to it any longer. I poured it into my handy snifter.

A - Pitch Black, perty looking mocha colored head.

S - Coffee and Booze. Think I'm in love with the strong coffee aroma.

T - Very strong coffee flavor, roasted malts, and then the lovely smack in the mouth of Alcohol.

M - Very strong Alcohol presence has a mighty kick to it, but I love it.

D - I find this to be quite drinkable.

3.2/5  rDev -27.3%

First off, thank you for the twist off cap. It males it much easier not needing an extra tool to drink my brew.

A - very dark with a tall tight tan head.

S - chocolate, roasted malts. Nice and complex, but a bitter level as well.

T - smoky chocolate coffee. Mild alcohol after taste.

M - solid coating. Tingling on the front of the tongue. Mild alcohol tingle on the back of the throat.

D - the flavor is good but the alcohol taste and burn would push it out of the all-night arena.

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - Tons of coffee, bitter chocolate, and roasted malts

Appearance - Dark with a brown head that quickly dissipates to a collar

Taste - First impression is all coffee and bitter notes. Maybe a touch of alcohol too. All I'm getting is burnt coffee and bitter with hints of alcohol. Got a little better over time but still searching for something positive but that's not the way beer tasting should be. This beer smooths out with time and warming into flavors of coffee and roasted malts but still a lot of bitter.

Notes - Really a twist off cap?

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

pours a thick black color with maybe a hint of cherry with a nice thick head and sticky lacing that recedes to a tan fresh head..the smell is semi sweet chocolate and roasted coffee toffee smells and malt..the taste is the same but with a smooth coffee and chocolate blend much different then the smell..the taste is bold and super rich but very balanced between coffee and malts and chocolate..mouth feel is full and thick and coates your tongue in coffee and chocolate..not a big alcohol burn either @ 9.5 its well hidden..its a costly stout but worth the $ for the taste highly recommended

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

This is one of the thickest, densest blacks I've ever seen. A brown head sits on this one at a couple fingers, bringing the obvious comparisons to a latte or cappuccino. It's extremely dense and thick, retains exceptionally well, and leaves thick rings of lacing behind.
The aroma is a rich, robust medley of roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, and dark coffee. It's very nicely rounded with earthy notes and just the slight sweetness to balance out the bitterness. This one is fresh-roasted, just-bagged exceptional beans, not Folgers.
A big, malty espresso comes through first, bitter but not burnt or acidic, giving way to the taste of an extremely high cacao (85%+) dark chocolate, roasted barley and coffee never fading, then finishing with a sort of creamy notes and lingering sharp/sweet notes. The alcohol peeks through now and again, especially on a sip, but is otherwise well masked.
The body is everything I could have hoped for; rich, robust, incredibly creamy, smooth, and full-bodied with just enough carbonation to perfectly round it out.
Well, this one's definitely a sipper; exceptionally big and very heady with a high ABV. Obviously it's delicious. While I'd love as many as I could put down, there are only so many one could drink at a time.

4.18/5  rDev -5%

Had to buy a second bottle seeing as I am an oaf and spilled the first on on the carpet. I have the stain to prove it....

Dark as sin with an amazing tan head with better retention than the historical wrongs some Qubecers cling to. Ditto on the lacing.

This might be on beer where the aroma worsens, albeit very slightly, as the beer warms. Very nice expresso aroma complete with that slight almond touch.

Ditto on the taste. Expresso, touch of black forest cake, and a hint of smoke. Booze from the 9% ABV doesn't make itself known untill the finish...and the it's TOO LATE...

Full bodied and very, very smooth mouthfeel.

very, very worthy of any beer freak's time.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

I've had this on tap at the brewpub before, and that's made me pretty damn biased against the bottled version (especially at the several State Line Liquors tastings during which I've been served this beer... turning my nose up thinking about the offering I had on tap). But I'm breaking my self-imposed rule of only reviewing beers if I'm on my final bottle of a (bomber/4pk/6pk/case) and reviewing this with 4 bottles left in my wonderful boxed 6 pack purchased my my even more wonderful girlfriend during her trip to Montreal.

A: Aside from the head being a surprisingly lighter brown (like Ovaltine with too much milk) than expected, this is exactly the beer one would expect. Served in my nonagonal pint glass, it looks juuust right. The high alcohol content leaves a tiny bit of just-hanging-on lacing on the top of the glass.

S: The reason I've given this category a lower score than the others is because, like a few high-alcohol beers I've had, there isn't as much of a robust smell left as one would desire. I had a bottle of Founders' Breakfast Stout before this and was blown away by being able to smell it so strongly as I poured it (on a counter littered with the remnants of a tomato and basil salad, no less) and this beer is lacking in that department. Of course, I'll be posting a separate review next time I have it on tap, as that's a whole different story. Either way, gorgeous notes of coffee, chocolate, and lactose are picked up on the nose.

T: Worth every accent aigu that's been expended to name this amazing beer. Tastes of bittersweet dark chocolate, followed by the taste of a creamy... well, I must refer to my girlfriend's moniker to describe a chocolate flavored iced coffee: "mocha drink." The fact that one can find this enchanting flavor in a beer that is almost as boozy as red wine is quite the achievement. I drank this out of the refrigerator, which means it's likely in the 40 degrees Fahrenheit range. I know that's too cold for a lot of Imperial Stout drinkers, but it's right on the money for this particular beer: it shows its alcohol content more than the average below 10% brew. I tend to chalk that up to the beer tasting so damn fresh, and I can only imagine what changes it goes through when it's been aged in a cellar (perhaps I'll let you know about that when I own more property than a 2nd floor apartment).

M: Creamy. Maybe I'm biased, as during the day I drink my coffee black - but this is something I would welcome for breakfast every morning if I were confident in my ability to hold a valid driver's license. It's delightfully smooth and creamy, and the coffee flavor is merely a small part of what makes it so special. One would swear that whole milk is involved to give it such a heavy, creamy mouthfeel - but that's just the wizardry of Dieu du Ciel at work.

D: I'm the kind of guy who'd order a chocolate milkshake at one end of the boardwalk... and end up craving another for my walk back. So for me, the drinkability warrants a perfect score.

I know this is $5+ per bottle in the United States. I know. It's $20 or less for a six pack in Quebec, so if you get a chance to visit, buy a lot of it. But for now, reconsider the $8+ bomber of stout you're going to buy from some American microbrewery and buy a 12 oz. bottle of this instead. You'll be oh so glad you did - and you'll be inadvertently helping out the Montreal tourism industry - as a trip to Vices et Versa and the Dieu du Ciel brewpub will be in order ASAP.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

I really wanted to try this beer after having the beer geek brunch. To see which one was better.

A: Jet black when it is being poured, it has a nice deep brown head, which slowly fades.

S: Smells of rich coffee.

T: You get a nice roasted dark coffee upfront, with a mild/moderate chocolate afterwards. When it settles for a minute, all of the flavors really get kicked up a notch. The finish turns slightly bitter chocolate and coffee.

M/D: The lingering taste of this beer goes on for quite some time. Very thick mouthfeel, the drinkability is the same as a starbucks coffee. It is really good while you drink it, but as for a repeat, you dont need another one for a couple of days. I enjoy this beer, and I have to say, I like it better then beer geek brunch. Both are great though.

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a deep dark black color, with an appropriate level of brownish foam. Intense espresso/coffee bean aromas on this one, along with some roasted malt and a bit of hop. On the palate, I again get a huge hit of coffee, balanced nicely by roasted malt, dark chocolate and alcohol. I had heard nothing but raves about this beer, so I was a bit let down. Still, it was pretty solid.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not available in British Columbia which is a crime against Canadianess. I'm a West Coast IPA fan (see Central City's Red Racer), but this brew also makes me proud of what Canada is now achieving for beer quality. Finally in Montreal and had a glass at the Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel.

There are many expert reviews of this wonderful beer and there is not much more to say.. I saw its biggest strength as mouthfeel. I'm often disappointed with stouts or variations that feel watery. This was perfect. What an amazing balance between the coffee taste and bitterness. It gives IPA fans like me a bitterness fix but with rich cofffee instead of fruity flavours on the front end.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a DFH snifter.

A - Pours a very dark dark oily brown very close to pitch black. There is a very thin dark tan head that is about .25 inches.

S - First off a very strong but at the same time smooth roasted coffee aroma. Very delicious. Then there is some nice sweet chocolate accompanied by some mild vanilla spice. Very well a balanced aroma.

T - Absolutely delicious. Smooth and creamy chocolate flavor comes up front quick but is quickly overwhelmed by a great roasted coffee flavor. There is nice chocolate sweetness and bitterness as well as that nice coffee acidity at the end. Some mild bitterness is perceived at the end but the roasted aftertaste is more prevalent.

M - This beer has great mouthfeel. Good full body and nice complex profile of flavors. Creamy and delicious.

D - Incredible drinkability for style and ABV.

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

This brew poured black with a brown rim. Small head dissipated quickly to tan lacing. Very fine carbonation.

Coffee and caramel on nose - like a coffee soda. Rich roasty aroma. A little wet earth character - good terrior - smells of freshly brewed coffee.

Roasted coffee with a caramel and milk chocolate essence. Earthy and bitter finish. Very strong brew. There's a black pepper kick to this beer as well. This is a full-bodied beer. The alcohol does come through on the palate.

This is a mouth-coating brew! 51.99 second finsh! What a knock-out of a beer!

Very rich, thick and big. Drinks like it's over 9.5% alcohol. This is one of the best beers I've had of this style! Fantastic offering!

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

L: Pours a deep black with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down to a nice film over the beer.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, caramel, chocolate, and coffee notes with a hint of vinous fruit as well.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts, deeper more burnt malts, coffee, chocolate, and some caramel as well. As it warms the flavors start to come out even more with hints of vinous fruits mixed in there as well.
M: Very smooth, rich, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this is an exceptionally drinkable beer. The flavors blend so well that it's really a joy to drink this one.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 11.5 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark black with tan, almost brown one-inch head. Nice lacing on the edge of the glass. Head gradually dies down to a thin layer left along the edge of the glass.

S: Nice rich smell with lots of coffee. Some light dark chocolate notes as well. As it warms, picks up some bitter notes as well, possibly from the coffee.

T: Really rich, deep flavors dominated by dark chocolate and roasted coffee. Intense. Some sweetness, but not overly so. Super long finish that reminds me of chewing on a chocolate covered espresso bean. A little heat towards the end, but not enough to detract from the nice bitter finish.

M: Thick mouthfeel, but not too oily. MOderate to high carbonation for the style.

D: Nice sipping beer. Deep rich flavors without being overly sweet. Can work either as a dessert beer or on its own.

4.05/5  rDev -8%

On tap tonight at The Local Option in Chicago, served in a St. Feuillien snifter...

Pours very dark brown, borderline black. A thin one finger of thick tan head forms and dissipates fairly quickly leaving a bit of haze throughout the drink...

Aroma is strongly one-sided at first...dark roasted coffee...somewhat smokey with a bit of dark bitter chocolate, roasty, malty and a bit of sweetness emerges as it warms...

Tastes just like it smells, dark roasted, borderline burnt cold coffee at first, bitter and roasty. A bit of complexity shows up through the hops, slightly piny and a tiny bit of citric bitterness...

Mouthfeel is slightly less thick than expected but still quite coating and chewy. Full bodied, decent carbonation and a tiny bit of heat from the alcohol...

This was my second time trying this beer, first in the bottle and then here, on tap...liked it a lot more the second time as I was able to detect more complexity than just overall one-sided coffee at first...

Poured into a snifter

A: Pours a deep black, with an inch of brown head. The head itself looks very thick, but dissipates to half an inch after a few minutes.
S: Smells like the bitter roast of coffee mixed with dark chocolate and sweet dark fruits.
T: The flavor is dominantly bitter dark chocolate. The front tastes like roasted coffee, while the middle tastes of the chocolate, and the sweetness of the fruit can be noticed on the ending note. This beer is slightly bitter on the tongue, but well balanced in flavor.
M: Very full body with good carbonation and a little creaminess.
D: A very well balanced RIS with a high ABV. This brew is easy to drink, if you enjoy the style.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from a 11.5oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter/tulip...vintage 2008. Pours dark and thick, black as night in the glass. A great, large head forms/rises and remains for a few minutes. It slowely dissapates to a nice creamy surface. The head itself is frothy and creamy at the same time. Leaves very smooth and sticky lacing, paints the sides of the glass.

A very strong coffee bean aroma. A very faint fruit note, possibly cherry? Wow, when you take a long and slow whiff of this beer, the coffee aroma is awesome. Sweet and malty.

What complexity! Great coffee flavors, a medium roast, malty, chocolately, smooth and creamy, very slightly boozy. A little vanilla perhaps?? A great drinker! This goes down so smooth and easy. I'm very much impressed. Carbonation is medium to high, yet not overkill. Awesome beer!

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin foamy tan head, which quickly receded to a haze layer and collar. Little bits of lacing. The body was a completely opaque dark brown- almost black.

S- A big rich nose- predominantly coffee, with an undercurrent of rich roasted and crystal malts, and a mild herbal hop aroma.

T- A total roller coaster in the mouth. It starts out with a punch of fresh roasted coffee and grass, followed by a brief wave of rich crystal malt; this is immediately overtaken by a massive herbal hop bitterness, which evolves once again into a roasty fresh coffee bitterness. The finish is pleasantly dry with a lingering grassy flavor and a hop/roasty/quinine-like bitterness.

M- A medium-plus body, nicely textured- presumably from unattenuated sugar. There is some nice soft carbonation there as well. Slightly astringent.

D- A wonderfully stimulating beer, and the alcohol is very well hidden. Very drinkable given the high ABV.

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel