Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,130 | Reviews: 1,654
3.71/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a deep brown. Black if I'm not mistaken. No, dark brown. Ah who knows. Black colored brown. A coffee colored frothy head appears with decent retention and lacing. Outstanding.

Smell is intense and intoxicating. Coffee is everywhere in this one and drowns out the other smells. Picking up scents of chocolate cake, maybe even caramel and raisins, or it could just be my imagination running wild as this beer smells very inviting.

Taste reveals a short list of strong flavors; mostly aforementioned coffee and chocolate, there are hints of other sugary treats, perhaps black licorice, maple syrup. There is a strong dry bitterness that I couldn't smell and is apparent now: roastiness. It adds another layer to the beer, however I'd very much like to age this beer as perhaps it would mellow out a bit. Personally it's a dry/bit bitter for my tastes. Tastes a bit unbalanced. Overrated?

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a bit bitter. Not too thick or thin; very smooth.

Drinkability is not my favorite category to rate as it is usually irrelevant. However this beer isn't too sweet or syrupy and hides the alcohol very well so I suppose I wouldn't mind another bottle..

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Tasted from 11.5oz bottle from Lush Roscoe. I have chosen this beer as my 100th rating. The pour is an opaque deep, dark brown with a big, light brown head that slowly recedes, but never fully leaves. The primary smell on the nose is coffee, but underlying are aromas of molasses, super roasty malts, dark chocolate, and caramelized brown sugar. On the front of the palate, this beer is creamy and features the sweeter creme brulee notes. The roasted bitter coffee and chocolate notes begin to come through on the middle of the palate, and the back is dominated by coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. The body is full and creamy with very lively carbonation and a super-long bitter coffee finish. The alcohol is very well integrated, and this beer is extremely drinkable. I am glad that I chose this beer for my 100th rating. It has lived up to the hype of being one of the best beers in the world.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. The beer pours out jet black, literally no light can go through. The head is quite unique, it's a creamy brown/orange/amber color. I expected it to be darker, but I was very intrigued by the slight orange color in it. Has some decent lacing that sticks around until it warms up. The aroma good, but doesn't smell that much like beer, more like a dessert liquor. Mostly coffee and chocolate when its a little colder but as it warms up it tastes like a dessert liquor or some type of "Irish Coffee." Still smells very good though. The taste is very good. For a 9.5 ABV, there isn't much detection in the taste. Here's where you start to realize it's a beer again. The strongest portion is the bittersweet from the coffee and chocolate, but the malts are very noticeable as well. Hops are a little more difficult to detect, but as it warms up they make themselves known. The Mouthfeel is perfect. It's it's smooth yet finishes clean, certainly a full bodied beer. The beer is very drinkable, dangerous for a beer of this alcohol content. 2nd beer I've had from this brewery 2 for 2!

3.81/5  rDev -13.4%

A - Hard pour produced a fluffy 2 finger khaki head and very slight carbonation. Very good looking beer.

S - Very faint coffee smell with lot's of chocolate and a slight boozy smell. A touch of roasted malt comes through as well. Not what I expected.

T - Alot like the smell except the booze can be felt alot more. Not alot of coffee in the flavour but lot's of chocolate and roasted malt again.

M - Medium bodied, velvety. Good carbonation.

D - This beer would be alot more drinkable if the alcohol was masked more by the coffee that is supposed to be present.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Finally getting around to trying this one. 12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Extremely dark and fairly viscous, with a strong half-inch meduim brown head. Very little lacing. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nice.
S: While still cold, roasted coffee is by far the dominant smell. As it warms, the coffee is still strong, but get a few dark sugars and more roasted malt, or maybe it's just the coffee fading.
T: Predominantly strong coffee, in a very good way. Also has a bit of a warming feel and small bit of alcohol flavor, but not offensively so. Balanced; very small amount of oxidation. A little sweet. Not many better coffee stouts.
M: Not as thick as I would like an imperial stout to be. However, the carbonation is strong and prevents any of the flavors from being overly cloying. A pleasant bit of mouth coating, as well.
D: High. Remarkably smooth and quite easy to get through a 12oz bottle without being overpowering. Doesn't leave me overwhelmed with any of it's flavors. Excellent, easy drinking Imperial Stout.

I'll definitely be returning to this beer. Definitely fine to drink alone, but I'm very curious to try pairing the strong espresso flavors with dessert or a full breakfast. Nice to know this beer is easy to find.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

Fifth beer from the Blind Beers BIF thanks to SHolland119.

Pour is a jet black with a thin layer of brown slightly creamy head. Aroma is coffee, some more coffee, and a bit of dark chocolate malt. Sharp flavors of bittering hops and cocoa / coffee hit my tongue and the lack of carbonation leave them to linger for awhile. The beer seems to be a bit on the acidic side. Body is fairly light and there is little to no stickiness with the beer.

3.27/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

7/17/10

Espresso Espresso Espresso, slightly chicory, smokiness, chocolate covered espresso beans, burnt sugar, and smokey malt. I'm not huge on coffee or espresso stouts, but this was pretty good. I liked how there is a distinct difference in flavor from regular coffee stouts and this ESPRESSO stout. It was done well, although splitting a 12oz bottle is all I can do.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance:
Great roasted coffee smell with a very faint sweetness...perhaps chocolate.

Smell:
I love the bourbon and alcohol smell on this. Bits of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee round out a wonderful smell.

Taste:
Tons of roasted coffee like the smell. This tastes much more like espresso than beer. There is a bit of bitterness from the coffee, but the alcohol is really hidden well.

Mouthfeel:
The beer is very creamy and smooth but not too heavy. The flavors coat my mouth and linger long after I take a taste.

Drinkability:
This was one of the easiest to drink big beers I've had, but the 12 oz bottle was probably just enough for one night.

The only real knock I have against it is that beer borders on being too 1 dimensional with the coffee. While I preferred the GI BCBCS this is more readily available and a great substitute if I'm looking or a coffee fix. Definitely will seek this one out again.

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Upon opening of the bottle smell is of chocolate, maple syrup and rum. Pouring from bottle into my great divide snifter. Pour is jet black with no light coming through with a 1.5 inch creamy brown head which has now receded to a steady 3/8" head which is seeming to last. Nose from the glass is chocolate, rum, and almost a sweet cream smell. Taste is dark chocolate with a hint of sweetness. Taste sticks with you. I am suprised by the taste not being syrupy as it smelled from the bottle. Alcohol is not as apparent from the taste as it was from the smell. Beer is quite nice and alcohol is well hidden Mouthfeel is not nearly as creamy as I expected from the smell either, but is also pleasant. Only my second venture into the espresso-stout style, but I am well glad I bought this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

On tap at Abbey Armsby in Worcester MA with Jlynn after my uncle's 40th anniversary in NH. It was on the chalkboard but I ordered it and it had kicked. Luckily they had a bottle left! Very excited to try this little treat as I wasn't expecting it at all.

A - Black, two finger dark brown head, nice lacing.

S - Espresso, roasted and glorious. Heavy malts. I didn't have to get my nose anywhere near the glass and the smell was invigorating.

T - A bold coffee taste with a nice bitter backbone. This is what a double coffee stout should taste like. Damn I need to savour this.

M - Smooth, Creamy, Ballsy.

D - 9.5 percent doesn't get any easier than this. I had to exert a lot of willpower to make the glass last 20 minutes. My fiance had an amazing desert that made it smell like Fall next to me. I was very tempted to try some however I didn't want to ruin my palate.

An elite stout would be an understatement. One of the best I've had.

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Dark Chocolate Black, frothy black head.

S: Chocolate and Espresso, fair trade coffee house mocha smell.

T: Chocolate and Espresso, chocolate dominates this beer but not overly so.

M: Surprisingly smooth,

D: Very Easy, so easy that at 9.5 it's tricky.

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Completely black in the glass. Brown head, fine lacing.

S: Espresso, espresso and unless I imagined it, a slight hint of espresso.

T: Did I mention espresso? But no bitterness. Incredible...

M: Beautiful, creamy, wonderful.

D: Very, very, very easy to drink. No hint whatsoever that it is 9.5%

I really can't imagine that there could be a better coffee flavored stout than this. It is without a doubt my favorite non-bourbon beer.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with a medium brown head that fades quickly into a thin layer. Deep rich smell of ground roasted coffe and milk chocolate. Tastes like a cup of espresso coffee with a lactic feel. As it warms, you get more of the chocolatey and rummy flavors. Well balanced alcohol only a slight warmth in the finale. Not one of those imperial stouts you want to put away but fab to drink fresh.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

For a beer named "Mortal Sin" it is an appropriately stygian, somber, raven-black tone that remains morbidly sunless even when held directly up to the sky. Likewise, its head is equally morose; for the most part it's depressed and hard swirling can only invoke it momentarily (the colour that's revealed, moreover, is a rather gloomy, shadowy dark brown).

I didn't see any coffee beans fall out of the bottle but, from the smell of things, I must have missed them. This thing is an angry, spewing volcano of java and, as much as I appreciate the profusion of flavour and character, I'm left asking 'are you sure there's any beer in this thing?' Notwithstanding, this is one seriously decadent, rich and distinct bouquet.

For me, as a person who appreciates coffee but dislikes drinking it, a rich, well-crafted Imperial Stout brewed with coffee is a little bit like traveling with a friend you don't particularly care much for - you can still take in all the sights and sounds but, truthfully, you know you could appreciate it all and enjoy yourself more if they weren't there with you...

And, like that travel partner, I find I tire of the coffee sooner or later. As most Imperial Stouts warm they reveal nuances and intricate complexities that you might not have picked up on before. When Péché Mortel warms, it only tastes more and more of coffee (and that oily acidity of the beans becomes much more astringent). If you're one to get jittery from caffeine, expect your heart to start bouncing out of your chest cavity.

I'd just assume this is well-suited to long-term aging; this bottle, now a year old, doesn't indicate otherwise. With an imbalance of malt to begin with, however, I'd imagine aging will suit coffee-lovers more than those who aren't (then again, I can't really see anyone but coffee-lovers swept away by the thought of stock-piling the stuff anyhow).

Péché Mortel is about as one-sided as CNN news, but it has a certain indefinable quality that makes it, for my money, one of the most rightly sought after and venerated Imperial Stouts out there. And, despite the overwhelming presence of coffee, it is mystically intricate and notably distinct. The real sin is that these guys can't distribute everywhere!

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer poured an oily black body with a dark tan colored head which was present until the end. The smell was of roasted malts, a really strong smell of alcohol, and a hint of coffee. The taste caught me off guard a little. The first initial taste was bitter, then the alcohol took over, followed lastly by an intense coffee flavor. I must say, after drinking the Mikkeller Breakfast stout, I was expecting the same result, but to my surprise I really enjoyed this stout. This is definitely a sipping beer, but the drinkability for 9.5% was pretty good. All in all, a very tasty beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.5oz bottle served in shaker pint.

A: Pours just about black. Three fingers of mocha head initially. Dwindles to about a finger after a minute. Clingy lace.

S: Rich coffee scent. Sweet milk chocolate that is balanced by bitter coffee. Big roasted malt.

T: Similar to scent. Roasty toasty malt. Very authentic coffee flavor. Baker's chocolate. Some hop bitterness. A very solid dose of bitterness from both the coffee and the malt in the finish. Pleasant aftertaste. As it warms, coffee berries are present in the finish.

M: Soft and creamy. Just enough carbonation. A little more viscosity would make it perfect.

D: Easy to drink. Complex and interesting. I wouldn't really desire another, but that isn't the intention of this beer.

A very good beer in a genre that is absolutely saturated with amazing choices. Péché Mortel is as good as any in this category.

4.84/5  rDev +10%

11.5oz bottle 3/10 into snifter

A: Jet black with dark brown/tan head which leads to gentle bubbles and fine lacing.

S: Loads of coffee and roasted malts upfront. Big suprise. Followed by loads of caramel and toffee. Intense in the nose. The caramel aromas are amazing.

T: Roasted malt and espresso upfront but the caramel comes through rather quickly. The caramel tones in this brew are quite unique. Some dark stewed fruit comes through at the end. Slight RS on the palate.

M: Perfect! Malts are awesome. No bitter coffee flavors, amazing! Nice and thick on the tongue. Lingers on the palate. Fantastic brew!

D: Very easy to drink, but due to EtOH should keep a limit to one. Love this beer and should be shared with friends. Enjoy!

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a black color with a nice caramel colored head. Has an aroma of smoke, coffee, and chocolate with hints of dark fruit. Bitter with the coffee bite, then some nice chocolate notes. Smokiness on the backend. Some dark fruit mixed in nicely. Very subtle. Lovely brew. Worthy of it's high praise.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

How about a little real coffee flavor in your Imperial Coffee Stout?
If you like the combination of heavy roasted malts, dark roasted coffee and semi-sweet chocolate with a bitter finish, then you'll just love the Imperial Stout. The color is very dark, dark brown with very little tan foam and no lace on the side of the glass. Although this stout has 9.5 alc/vol, you can't really tell unless you read the bottle or drink it on an empty stomach. The flavor and bitterness hide the flavor of alcohol.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is pours an inky black with an ok light brown head. Good retention.

Not sure if I can describe the aroma but I'll try. Obviously coffee is up front. Intense espresso. Also get some alcohol in there. Some bitter chocolate as well. Also something else which I struggle to hold onto. Some sort of sweetness over the top of the bitterness. There was some smokiness first up as well.

The smokiness is even stronger on the palate. More sweetness. Amazing length.

What a lush mouthfeel. Wonderful.

This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Black as night - has a nice tan head that sticks around a while - lacikng all over the glass - wow.

S: Very good - picking up coffee tones immediately - good malt and bitter in the nose and perhaps some vanilla in there. Good nose.

T: Great taste here with malt, coffee, and the vanilla tones coming through strong- doesn't get much better here for this style.

M: Not too thick - could be a bit thicker in my opinion but then again I had a bottle of dark lord last night so I might be a bit tainted.

D: Could have another one of these no problem - after that it will be brutal as I would be in the bag.

4.27/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a bottle into my Westvleteren snifter.

A - Good looking stout - appearance reminds me very much of KBS. Dark brown, almost black, with a one finger head that eventually fades to a rim of bubbles on the edge of the glass that stick around for the remainder of the drink. Great, thick, lacing that coats the glass.

S - Fresh coffee, roasts, plums, other dark fruits, and booze.

T - Sweet coffee up front, warming booze in the middle, followed by a bitter espresso finish. Just outstanding.

M - Perfect. This beer is thick, sticky, and lightly carbonated. Perfect for an imperial stout. Not as thick as motor oil, ala Dark Lord, but not as thin as many impy stouts that have disappointed me.

D - Quite drinkable. The alcohol heat and the bitter espresso finish limit the drinkability, but I could easily drink two of these at least...and then be really hammered if I did.

This was the second time I've tasted this beer, but the first time that I've been able to give it a fair review. Overall, I am VERY impressed. This one is just outstanding.

4.62/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Pours jet black with a small (maybe 1 finger) caramel/toffee colored head, dissipates quickly.

Smell: Espresso and smokey peat with some dried fruits underneath. Hints of chocolate covered espresso beans (although that chocolate is very faint compared to that big espresso bean).

Taste: Espresso espresso espresso... The dark roasted espresso beans really pop in this brew. The roasted character develops as the brew warms and leaves a nice bitterness on the back end, however that bitterness is more the bitterness you get from black coffee than the bitterness you get from hops.

Mouthfeel: Super viscous and creamy, although leaves the mouth clean and almost a bit sticky.

Drinkability: If you like coffee, especially the dark roasted kind, this is your pride and joy. One might call it a one trick pony as this beer is all coffee, but seeing as how that's the point...it's spectacular. The coffee in this brew tastes fresh and used perfectly...outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a deep dark cocoa black with a small light brown mocha head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is of big espresso and coffee with some dark chocolate and roasty malts as well.

Taste is truly great, lots of big rich decedent coffee up front with a lot of bitter dark chocolate in the finish. Some bitter hops come through in the finish as well. Lot of carbonation on the tongue as well. This beer is really something.

Mouthfeel is full, bubbly, and creamy. Very good in this department as well.

Highly drinkable, especially for the 9.5% ABV. Very good beer, I recommend it to every fellow coffee lover.

4.34/5  rDev -1.4%

11.5oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours coffee-black, with a tan, two-finger head that recedes quickly to a thick cap. Some sheeting on the glass, but it doesn't stick around very long.

S - Coffee is upfront, obviously. Strong french roast coffee. Not quite as strong as I expected. Followed up by chocolate, more bitter dark chocolate than sweet, although that characteristic is there as well. A bit of alcohol toward the end.

T - The bitterness of dark chocolate leads things off, then the coffee kicks in. Definitely a dark roast, it keeps the bitter theme going. There's a hint of alcohol in there, but it's more complimentary than distracting. It works with the bitterness. This is one of my favorite styles, and it's a great example of it. Delicious.

M - Thick and velvety. Carbonation is just right, and it coats the tongue and doesn't fade very quickly.

D - While this style appeals to me, I can see where the bitter flavors can start to wear over time. Factor in the high-ish abv and I can't see me getting past maybe two of these in a sitting. Although I might try.

O - This is not a good beer, it's a great one. I love coffee stouts, and this one hits all the right notes for me. I just wish I could find it for a cheaper price, I'd drink it for breakfast every morning.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel