Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
HeyItsChili

China

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Poured into a Charleston Beer Exchange pint glass from a bottle. Pours black with a thin brown head.

S - Espresso, not a lot else. That's not a bad thing.

T - Really phenomenal deep and complex coffee flavor. Espresso is the name of the game here. Dark fruits and a sort of dark rum/raisin essence are present as well. Underlying chocolate flavor that shows up a bit more in the finish. The coffe/chocolate finish sticks around for a good while.

M - Creamy, slightly viscous.

Notes - Fantastic. Just fantastic.

02-22-2009 18:42:59 | More by HeyItsChili
MiScusi

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours very black and viscous. The light brown head is made of very fine creamy bubbles. The smell is without a doubt coffee. Not so much of a smell from roasted barley, but more a definite authentic coffee. There is some sweetness behind there as well. The taste has much roasted barley along with the additional coffee flavor. Sweetened dark chocolate in the taste as well. Thick and creamy in the mouth but not tooo thick. Very good beer, although the roastiness/coffee left in the mouth would limit me wanting to have too much of it.

02-22-2009 04:24:52 | More by MiScusi
brokenleadedcask

4.4/5  rDev 0%

A- The color is of a black hole, I think it sucked up some of the light from my computer monitor. The 1" head was rather late forming but nice and dark brown/taupe. Left a little sludge in the bottom of the glass

S- Strong black coffee, hints of licorice and bitter chocolate. I don't have to trim my nose hairs anymore, nice pungent singe.

T- Fair trade coffee, liquid smoke, tobacco, and molasses

M- Viscous, a touch gritty and left a dry feeling in the after taste

D- I wouldn't drink this late at night, I'd be up all night. Personally I like my coffee in the morning but still very enjoyable and would drink again

02-21-2009 21:24:57 | More by brokenleadedcask
djeucalyptus

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

pours an oily, inky black with hints of brown at the edges. A bright brown one-finger creamy head has great retention, fading to a thin cap that leaves copious amounts of lacing.

aroma is "holy crap that's a lot of coffee." french pressed french roast mixes with some heavy espresso notes and a hint of cane sugar. just a touch of malt... but the coffee is king. a touch of dark fruit and a smidgen of alcohol.

tastes like espresso with a healthy spoon of sugar. Rich, earthy, and inky. a hint of chocolate and a bit of dark cherry comes through. An intense coffee bitterness (in a good way) comes up to finish with a beautiful coffee bitterness with just a smidgen of hops. fairly one-dimensional, but I love coffee, so it's alright with me.

mouth is chewy, full, rich, and smooth without being overwhelming. A nice carbonation helps everything flow well and helps accentuate the coffee notes. A nice light airy note prevents this from being unnecessarily thick and gummy.

Impressive, to say the least. This one might make me drink coffee again. Fairly one dimensional... not as much depth as some of the other coffee stouts, but the beautiful roasted coffee notes makes up for it. This one is almost too easy to drink - the alcohol hides nicely... definitely worth seeking this one out.

02-20-2009 19:18:24 | More by djeucalyptus
bifrostguard

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

I'm glad to have the opportunity to try this legendary coffee beer. Huge thanks to beachbum1975 for sending this one my way.

A - Pours pitch black with a small tan head that leaves no lacing. One could say that it is very similar to espresso.

S - Not as overwhelming as I expected but coffee does make up the majority of it. As the beverage warms chocolate and roasted caramel malts can be detected.

T - This one did not disappoint, coffee dominates with a very bittersweet chocolate complimentary flavor right along side. As someone that doesn't use cream or sugar, the extreme bitterness of this beer is definitely appreciated! I am taking my time drinking this and it just keeps getting better.

M - Thick and slick with enough carbonation to keep it lively with each sip.

D - I am glad to have kept this on my wants. I have almost finished this one and am ready for another. A delicious stout that isn't overly sweet or filling like so many others out there.

02-20-2009 04:30:07 | More by bifrostguard
Gmann

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a very dark brown color with just barely there ruby hightlights. Nice fluffy brown head that dissipated into a cap. The aroma is of coffee and high grade chocolate milk, some vanilla/rum spice that lets you know there is going to be some booze in there. Very big roasted coffee bean flavor hits hard and often right at the bell. Bitter sweet chocolate makes its presence known throughout with a touch of raisins in the end. Exceptional feel, thick and chewy, smoooth yet has a light prickly carbonation that breaks up the body. Finishes bitter from the strong roasted coffee flavor, alcohol is well hidden. Great coffee stout, excellent flavor and feel. It is heavy and has a high ABV so that would limit me to one but very nice.

02-19-2009 03:12:38 | More by Gmann
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle into Sam Adams Lager glass.

Pours opaque black with a dense, rocky 1.5 finger head that doesn't want to go away. Eventually, and with much lacing, settles into a thick, dense cap. I can't imagine this beer looking any better if it were shooting off fireworks.

Nose is espresso, very roasty, bit of acidity; underneath, bit of cocoa, smooth.

Taste is lots of espresso - full flavored and smooth up front, with a beautiful, rich cocoa note underneath, fading to a lasting dry, espresso bitterness. Almost smoky. Superbly balanced between the clear espresso and rich cocoa notes. A green, almost vegetal note from the coffee beans is the only thing between this and a perfect score - I've gotten the same taste from eating dark chocolate covered coffee beans before. That's almost a perfect analogy for what's going on with this beer.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick, but with a light, sharp carbonation. Pretty smooth overall. Delicious, even for a non coffee-drinker like myself. Very, very good.

02-17-2009 14:14:35 | More by JohnQVegas
raoulduke37

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Received in a trade from Nate from PA. Thanks, Nate! If you like coffee, and I mean, REALLY like it, than this is definitely the beer for you.

A - Beautiful shiny black color, with light brown head. It takes a long time for this to dissipate.

S - Intense coffee beans, almost like burnt coffee grounds, actually. Not bad.

T - A little banana to begin with, then definitely coffee, coffee, coffee.

M - Nice and smooth, and a bit chewy for the first few sips. It does taste a bit like cold coffee, really.

D - This one's definitely a treat, and if it weren't my last bottle, I'd definitely be asking for round 2.

02-17-2009 00:29:00 | More by raoulduke37
Magpie14

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

A: the pour was very nice and filled with deep reds, crimson, browns, and maybe some burgundy hues. Once settled in the glass a collective "black" color could be claimed. The pour produced a soft brown sugar colored head, fizzy at best and quick to dissipate. The inner walls of the glass contained a few erratic splashes of lace. Overall a good look

S: smells of deep, roasted, dark malts and coffee, mostly coffee. Coffee beans are of the strong bitter oily variety. They say Fair Trade Coffee...nice. I think I am gonna love it!

T: chockfull of coffee! As my nose mentioned before; bitter, roasted, and oily coffee. This has to be, to date, the most java based beer I have ever had. What makes things nice is it has a delicate sweet cream character, or sugary caffè latte based touch. Malts are deeply roasted and a touch on the burnt side, from what I can tell. If you love coffee, as do I, you owe it to yourself to try this and will be flown to paradise!

M: when I poured this brew I noticed that it had lighter dimensions. The body is a nice creamy and hearty mild, but not near some other stouts I have had. The body is a notch above thumbs up!

D: even though I am head over heels for this coffee bomb of a brew. I must add that it has a single goal and lacks in overall complexity. It is a stretch to include much else in this brew but...you guessed it, coffee! Oh yea, where's the alcohol???
I still give it high marks for the "bean" boldness that it puts forth. I really am floored by this brew!

02-17-2009 00:02:36 | More by Magpie14
sonicdescent

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

Thank you Bobby91w for this bottle!

Pours a nice black with an extremely thick foamy head that sticks around a while, leaving trails wherever it dies down.

Scent is prominent roasted coffee with hints of chocolate and cream in the background. Very appetizing and I can't wait to take a sip.

Taste is coffee coffee coffee, and quality roast at that, possibly more toward the bitter side of espresso. The hints of chocolate and other imperial staples are present, but this is coffee out front first and foremost. Amazing that they really mask the alcohol.

Mouth is thin/med bodied and med carbonation. Perhaps prefer my impys to be a little thicker but it may have been too much with that heavy espresso profile.

Drinkability is high, this is a quality coffee brew. If you don't like coffee brews, this won't be your converter, but if you do, it doesn't get much better.

02-10-2009 03:09:48 | More by sonicdescent
ommegangpbr

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

Been waiting to try this guy for quite some time. Pours like a big stout should without as much head as I might like or expect. Some light shows through when held to a bright lamp.
Scent is sweet and deep but not giving up any secrets as to what's in store.
The flavor is a big punch of surprise after the scent. Big, upfront coffee flavor with a texture that kinda reminds me of a good grape juice. Gives it a kind of red wine quality. Bitter dark chocolate with a molasses sweetness.
Very nice. Not hitting me as best in the world caliber but I wouldn't kick this out of bed... or out of my glass.

02-07-2009 04:47:07 | More by ommegangpbr
Riverwarrior

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

S = Very strong, rich dark coffee aromas with a little dark chocolate in the background.

T = Taste was all top-notch coffee upfront with a hint of caramel and chocolate in the middle and end. The finish was all roasted coffee goodness. Alcohol was truly hidden.

MF = Very thick and full bodied with low carbonation. Silky smooth and creamy.

Overall, the coffee flavors took the spotlight on this one. This had the most coffee flavor of any beer that I've had to date. Exceptional and easy to drink. Highly recommended.

02-06-2009 19:28:02 | More by Riverwarrior
dukedevil0

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Single 12oz bottle from Valley Wines in Steubenville, OH.

A: Pours dark black with light khaki colored head and lots of lacing on the glass. Almost looks like a guiness.

S: Mostly coffee smell with maybe a slight bit of chocolate that i could even be imagining. Some roasted malts.

T: Super coffee flavored...roast and bitter...tastes better as it warms.

M: Thick like an imperial stout should be

D: Pretty drinkable for the style...alcohol is well hidden.

Just a little too much coffee to keep me wanting to drink more and more of this.

02-06-2009 02:46:19 | More by dukedevil0
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a flute. This beer pours like black motor oil and is opaque when held to the light. A 2 + inch head forms that is persistent with extensive lacing.

The aroma is complex with notes of chocolate malts and coffee, but also dirt and leather. It was quite unique to me because this was the second time I had it and it seemed a little different than my previous experience.

The taste mimicked the aroma with chocolate malt, coffee, but seemed to overwhelm me with the earthy, dirt components. Hops is hidden in the aroma and taste, but minimally present.

The mouthfeel was on the medium-side of heavy bodied. There is a high level of carbonation with a bitter feeling that lingers on the tongue. It is quite smooth and the alcohol is barely noticeable.

Overall, this is a very drinkable beer and I think the complexity to the taste and aroma make it a very interesting beverage to have. I will hopefully get to enjoy it again in the near future.

02-04-2009 03:37:30 | More by SykDoc
CHSLBrew

4.53/5  rDev +3%

11.5 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Black beer. Black, black, and more black. Dark. Topped with a luscious brown head, moderate retention. The head reduced down to sparse bubbles, but continued to reappear with a slight swirl throughout my enjoyment of this brew.

S-Raisins and dark fruity esters. Coffee (duh!) runs away with this aroma... sooo much coffee, while still melding in well with a rich roasted malt aroma. A very full-flavored aroma overall.

T-Coffee is present and assertive, but it blends in well with the roasty black malt characteristics. Chocolates mingle well with rainy dried fruit flavors. A coffee bitterness is strong and pleasant, coupled with some hop bitterness underneath it all. This beer is very rich, with flavors flowing and playing off of eah other.

M-moderate carbonation enhances this full-bodied stout. Velvety feel moving over my tongue. It feels overly indulgent.

D-A very tasty beer, with a strong coffee character, but not even close to drowning out the other flavors. Exquisite!

02-03-2009 20:09:45 | More by CHSLBrew
optiontwo

11.5oz. bottle poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: Black. Black as the black sweatshirt I am wearing. Minimal tan head that dissipated quickly but decent lacing. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing this bottle is at least a year old because my local liquor store doesn't get this is all the time and they've had it on the shelves for a while.

Smell: The coffee is definitely there in a big way but there's a lot more chocolate aroma than I was expecting, a pleasant surprise. Alcohol is somewhat detectable through the smell. Smells magnificent.

Taste: I usually start reviewing after taking my first sip and keep sipping throughout my review but this one I had to take a second sip immediately. I already know this is a great beer and I've only had two sips. Ok, enough gushing. Coffee and chocolate are prominent but share the spotlight equally making each taste a delight. After that there is some bitter nut flavor, hazelnut perhaps. And finally it finishes with a decent amount of hop bitterness, bite, and surprisingly flavor. I don't know what kind of hops they use but you can taste the earthiness and very subtle fruitiness from them in the finish, which to me makes this beer not just good but great.

Mouthfeel: Not overbearing but thick enough to meet style guidelines, very smooth.

Drinkability: High ABV but it's so damn delicious I would buy this in sixers if it was offered.

Overall: I put off trying this one for a while and now I have no idea why. This is an amazing imperial stout. I think coffee makes a nice addition to any brown, porter, or stout but in an imperial stout it might be the best because of the way it balances out the sweet malts. This is a must try and it's completely understandable

02-02-2009 23:12:40 | More by optiontwo
bigkahunas4

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a tulip glass, a rich coffee black body, with a dark brown head. Head was about 2 fingers and had great retention, slapping the upper lip with great suddiness on every sip. Aroma is a big, buttery coffee. Unlike most stouts, this didn't have that burnt smell to it - quite elegant.

Taste is very luscious, very similar to coffee milk. Very little bitterness, with some hints of butter and dark fruit. Slight alcohol finish.. but is very masked and is more of a warming agent. Brew is very smooth, velvety feel.

Well this one didn't let me down. Certainly delivered on all fronts. Sweet, but not too sweet. Definitely recommend this.

02-02-2009 14:13:48 | More by bigkahunas4
Otterburn

Quebec (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Bought this one at the dépanneur. Thats cool.

Appearance is opaque,dark with medium carbonation
nice head and laced out on the glass

Smell's coffee

This beer is really intence. very rich texture with intence flavors of coffee. very well balanced, this is one of a kind!!

Mouthfeel is nice!

Drinkability is nice too. for a strong beer like this one

This is a péché mortel, because its unique and intense. You SHOULD try it.
it is very well done
Stop reading and drink this..
this is maybe almost a 5/5

02-01-2009 16:22:37 | More by Otterburn
atsprings

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

11.5oz bottle into a Corsendonk Tulip. Pours a dark almost opaque black with a two-finger tan head. Aroma freshly ground coffee and cocoa powder, quite fragrant. The taste is like a smooth chilled mocha drink, alcohol is barely noticeable at first sip, but does show some presence in the finish. The beer is medium bodied, like I already said, the alcohol is very well hidden. This one is without question, one of the best stouts I've ever had.

01-31-2009 09:27:18 | More by atsprings
shivtim

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

After having quite the difficult time getting the cap off, I realized it's a twist-off. Weird. Lady with the off-set eyes is creepy.

Pours out of the bottle as a thick dark brown brew. Slight ruby tinges around the edges. A massive dark sandy head forms and doesn't go anywhere for a long time. The head slowly condenses into a dark dense bottom with a fluffy crest of light tan.

Nose is great, with ample dark, bitter chocolate dominating. Burnt malts weave with hints of coffee. Some ethanol enters into the mix upon warming.

First sip is astringent coffee flavor and malts and dense chocolate like a gluten-free cake. Lingering acidic coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and slightly milky.

Overall quite good, but over-rated.

01-31-2009 03:01:55 | More by shivtim
JasonA

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Just received in a trade from marvin, thanks bud!

A pet peeve of mine is getting a nice craft brew that comes in a twist top. Worst part was opening my last 22oz which was a twistie. I mean, if you brew craft beer, you more than likely home brewed at some point. If you home brew, you know you keep your bottles. So craft brewers, please oh please, no more twisties!!
/rant

Oil slick baclk black hole light muncher. WHoa thats a lot of head. Maybe it was my anxious pour. Solid and think mocha head. I bet I could lay a quarter on this. Lacing present. All looks great.

Wow. Deep, deep malt. Prolly the darkest ive smelt. Alcohol with some twist, cant make it out. Light, but rich espresso smell, no real sweet flavor which is nice. Smells ridiculously rich. Im getting anxious

My oh my. Now thats some coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee. Malt, alcohol, and some rum raisin present. Alcohol is very warmimg. I made sure to have this at a solid temp of 50F and its paying off. Finishing hops, slight stoutish dry finish. Amazing

BTW ... the head ... still there.

Not perfectly balanced. Might be a little over the top alchol bite for the body. Sits well, great carbonation. Flavor lasting.

I could see some folks thinking the coffee is too much. Maybe it is, but I tell you, this beer is amazing. One of a kind in my book. I want more.

Ok, now its time to hit the cellar for marvins box!

Edit: Almost an hour later (yes im still drinking it), and I still have a 1/2 finger of head.

01-31-2009 01:13:17 | More by JasonA
cvfish

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

A - This beer poured a deep black color that produced a strong fluffy brown head which retained well and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - One thing I love about BDDC is the strong scents of their beers, the aromas here were smooth coffee and chocolate

T - The taste of this beer had a clever mix roasted malts, dark chocolate, and a coffee taste that is more akin to fresh ground coffee beans than Folgers

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a creamy medium to heavy body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is a very good Stout, very thick, I do not need more than one in a sitting, but that one really sicks with me

01-30-2009 21:09:30 | More by cvfish
BARFLYB

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

11.2oz bottle into a regular snifter for maximum scent possibility. Not sure the date on this but it could not be that old.

A- Dieu Du Ciel's Peche Mortel is an extremely dark and black beer and has a thickness to it as seen coming out of the bottle. As it coats the glass a nice one inch dark tan to brown comes up creating a nice cap that eventually fades. Some lines of lace but nothing special.

S- A nice amount of fair trade coffee is in the forefront with the all to regular (for this style) dark chocolate mix. I'm really digging the smell of the coffee blend used as it's quite pungent and inviting. Also getting the roasted malt bill and a touch of hops to round out a great nose. Very rich and complex.

T- The taste of rich roasted coffee hit me first with the kona beans working their magic. The roastiness of this stout is what set's it apart from other attempts at this style. Rich dark chocolate follows the fair trade coffee creating a tight bond with some vanilla aspects. Some cocco powder supplimenting the chocolate. Not as much caramel presence as expected and would probably distract from the taste. Also getting some bittering effects from the hops used and a burnt feeling.

M- Extremely cramy and smooth in nature for being such a huge stout at 9.5%. This mouthfeel improves vastly with warming so I wait 15 minutes before even pouring. Peche Mortel coats the mouth ever so gently leaving a somewhat warming sensation with just a bit of bitterness. No alcohol detected but a whole lot of sweetness along with rich coffee tones stick around.

D- Sip, Savor, Enjoy! This one is meant to be sipped to really grasp all that it has to offer as the main flavors come out of hibernation with warming. I would have two bottles of this no problem if it was not so damn expensive. Bitterness may deter other's but i'm game. Would love to try this on tap.

I've had a lot of high rated coffee stouts and this one takes the cake easily, without a doubt.

01-30-2009 19:53:59 | More by BARFLYB
tr4nc3d

Kansas

3.35/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a black color with a one finger tan head.

Smells of bittersweet chocolate,plums, dark coffee, roasted malts. Smells a lot like an expresso.

Starts off with a dark coffe flavor followed by a semi bittesweet dark chocolate with a minimal hop bitterness.

Full flavored beer with a decent amount of carbonation, leaves a bitter aftertaste.

I could not manage to drink more then one of these. Its a little to bitter for my taste though.

01-30-2009 03:10:44 | More by tr4nc3d
TonyBrew

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

I loved this beer. A nice smooth black pour with a head of tinted cream on top. One of the best (if not the best) coffee/chocolate tasting stouts I've have had. I love coffee stouts but when I tasted this one, all others (except for Founders Breakfast) left my mind. A strong mocha espresso aroma with a hint of alcohol. The flavor was very rich espresso with chocolate waves and a bit of bitterness. I was amazed at how easy it was to drink considering the ABV. I will be keeping the other two bottles in my cellar for awhile!! This is a must try for every stout lover!! Thank you Brasseris Dieu Du Ciel, everything I have tried from you is amazing!!!

01-29-2009 15:01:17 | More by TonyBrew