Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours an extremely dark brown with a big, finely bubbled, brown head with excellent retention; that leaves rings as you slowly sip it down. Smell is very interesting: aromas of stale coffee (which is so interesting that I don't consider it a bad thing), dark chocolate, and burnt wood. Fascinating taste: roasted coffee loud and clear (but that was expected and isn't necessarily an endorsement), dark chocolate truffles, smoke and charry bitterness - I love it. Full-bodied but perfectly carbonated. For 4 dollars for an 11.5 oz bottle I was hoping for this kind of quality and I'm relieved that it delivered. I will definitely buy this one again and show it to friends. One of the most interesting stouts I've ever had.

droomyster, Jan 14, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

I've been hording my few bottles of this for quite some time now so finally I am going to crack on of these beauties.

Pours pretty much black with a large tan head. Moderate carbonation. Aroma is pretty big milky cocoa, malts, oaky and slightly ashy. Flavor is bitter cocoa, light hops, molasses. The mouthfeel is dry, chalky and bitter, and I love it like that. This one was well worth the wait. Now I have to hoard my three remaining bottles.

brewbucker, Jan 14, 2009

Aroma is absolutely magnificent - like unsweetened chocolate with an undertone of rich roast coffee. It pours like motor oil and comes out opaque sable, just a shade this side of black, with a thick, fine, persistent tan head. Fabulous flavor is chocolaty but not sweet, with tones of coffee and smoke, nutty hints, and a touch of hops. Texture is tingly and lively so it practically dances down the esophagus. Strongly recommended, especially to Stouties.

Cyberkedi, Jan 13, 2009

341 mL bottle, courtesy of DoubleJ, thanks Jon,

A: Pours a dark brown with a medium cap of literal brown head. Good lacing.

S: Smells like a strong cup of coffee, great smell, nothing more to say.

T: Has all the good flavours of coffee without being overly bitter. The coffee mixes well with the roasted malt, no burnt flavours. Dark chocolate and a light hop characteristic bitterness in the finish.

M: Does not have a huge, thick body, but is real smooth and creamy. The lighter mouthfeel gives it excellent drinkability for its size and style.

D: This is just straight up good beer out of Montreal, Canada. If you don't like it there's something wrong with you. Quite deserving of its top 100 status, a treat.

Halcyondays, Jan 12, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Dark black brew with a nice thick, creamy coffee-colored head and bubbles that go down instead of up. Nice lacing.

Smell: In a word - espresso earthiness, with hints of chocolate and toffee, and dark fudge.

Taste: Smooth, not harsh or bitter, coffee and espresso, with a touch of chocolate and caramel malt. It seems to be an essential part of beer, unlike other stouts where it seems imposed. Too many coffee beers taste of burnt coffee and used grinds, this one does not.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Best coffee beer I have had.

craytonic, Jan 12, 2009

11.5 oz shoulder bottle from Vidalia in Lansdale (before it closed). Purchased for around $6. Split the bottle with a friend.

Pours a pretty sludgy looking black with a cocoa powder colored head that sported fairly good retention and some nice lacing. Good looking stout.

Smell was mostly burnt dark malts and alcohol. Not bad, but I think they forgot to put the coffee in mine.

No coffee taste either. Tasted like burnt malts, faint chocolate and booze. Not really much else going on. My friend didn't taste any coffee either.

Mouthfeel was fairly rich, viscous, medium low carbonation. A bit of a burn from the alcohol.

Drinkability is just average. Not exactly undrinkable but it certainly didn't make me want to drink another. This one really didn't live up to its reputation. I wish I had tried it when it was more fresh, but it has been in a fridge since I bought it. We were so disappointed that we had to make some coffee afterwards to make up for the disappointment. I have another bottle in my cellar and I am regretting shelling out the money for it. The Derniere and Route de Espice were much better. Maybe I can trade my second bottle to somebody that would enjoy it more.

wheelinshirt, Jan 11, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3%

Dark black pour with a foamy, frothy top. Great lacing and retention. Stays around like tan sea foam. Thick grains in the nose. Roasted and sugary. Goes down thick and oily with a clear flavor of roasted coffee. Has a lingering coarseness and a noticeable bite of alcohol. It can't get much better than this.

Poser, Jan 11, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -47.7%

well after all the hype i had to give this one a try,

pours motor oil black with two finger tan head,

smells of alcohol and burnt espresso,

tastes the exact same, if i were to roast some espresso beans until they were charred all the way through, then threw them into a blender with ice and vodka, thats exactly how this tasted to me.

too boozy and too much espresso for me,

i understand what they were going for, and they hit the nail right on the head,

but for me, this is too over the top to enjoy,

couldn't finish it.

niz, Jan 10, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to dmeadows for this want.

A - What you want from a RIS. Thick and pitch black that settles with a milk chocolate head which leaves a web.

S - Just like my double espresso with a packet of raw sugar.

T - More black coffee, I'd be damned if this doesn't taste like the carbonated version of what I drink in the morning.

M/D - Medium body with good carbonation. Drinkable, but two would be enough.

xpimptastikx, Jan 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong roasted coffee, dark malts, some dark chocolate and a faint touch of alcohol.

T: The taste as expected is very malty and full of black coffee along with some creamy chocolate. It's not as intensely sweet as some other big stouts. There's not much of a hops presence but it's really not needed in this type of beer as it retains a good balance without it. The alcohol is very well-disguised. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean for the style.

D: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easily, slightly filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is definitely one of the better coffee-flavored beer that I've had. It's certainly one that is worth sticking with for a long time.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 09, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

I purchased this single bottle at State Line Liquors in Elkton Md. Poured chilled into my snifter.

A - Opaque, black w/ a med tan band of tightly beaded foam. The surface is wavy from a somewhat hard pour. The had becomes lace rapidly as the cap condenses. A beautiful tan like crema atop an espresso shot. A mocha would envy the appearance of this stout in the glass.

S - The odor of strong black coffee and yeast rise to my nostrils. The smell is like an espresso shot in intensity w/ raw sugar generously added. The aroma is malty and not overly so as the coffee aromas really stand out w/ nicely roasted bean quality and subtle spiced scents - possibly an earthy hop aroma somewhere in there to boot.

M - Very smooth at 1st, then the feel gets roasty and dry. The creamy oily texture unravels to a spiced and slightly alcoholic texture - a bit like coffee's astringency toward the end of the cup. The texture has an almost herbal/mildly medicinal quality.

T - the taste is biiter cocoa and tinges of anise w/ a cocoa covered espresso bean flavor. The malt pushes the roasted beans bitterness in the flavor. There is subtle dark malt in the taste and fruit w/ plum-like essence and slight elements of black pepper. A hint of molasses and bready yeast combine to make a dessert-like taste which at times tastes like coffee mousse and other moments seems like a smore w/ extremely dark chocolate and coffee soaked marshmallows. The flavors linger w/ both sweet and bitter attributes well into the next taste. A great quality to have when the beer tastes this darn good.

D - The drinkability is top notch - I like the dry approach w/ the beans adding more bitterness and there is less sweetened coffee taste - more or less good if you like your coffee w/out the sugar this will suit you. Peche Mortel has more spice and java than most + yet still a great Imperial stout underneath it all.

Slatetank, Jan 09, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

a - poured a one finger thick coffee colored head with a black body.
s - sweet and malty with a hint of coffee. overall the aroma is muted.
t - coffee, dry and with a touch of dark fruits like raisins. a touch hot.
m - bubbly.
d - good beer but this is one that i should have aged longer than the ~4 months i did.

GPHarris, Jan 07, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

by outer edges line a fine line of mahogany brown that gradients from a pitch black core. A tight brown head lurks atop a motor oil underbelly.

dark, roasted, acrid, charcoal aromas emanate from the beer. I very very minor downfall comes about that a faint malt aroma linger between coffee aromas.

sweet almost bready malt character clings to an eye awakening fresh pot of coffee taste. no detectable hop flavor but a bitterness protrudes through layers of sweet malt and dark roasted coffee.

boarderline thick almost viscous put the mouthfeel in a category that i would call a RIS. possibly due to lower attenuation, but i really don't mind, this beer is neither cloying or too sweet, it is however a complete experience.

Jettanbass9, Jan 05, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

A big thankyou to Maximum12 for sending me this brew in the BA Secret Santa '08 BIF. Served this at nearly cellar temperature, in a snifter, from an 11.5 ounce bottle. I've been wanting to try this for sometime now.

Appearance: Peche Mortel pours out a thick looking, spent motor oil black that not a single ray of light could pass through. A rather easy pour resulted in about two fingers of fluffy, coffee brown colored head. Head had pretty good retention, slowly faded into a thick gob of foam that sat atop the black mass of beer. Each sip left ring after ring of soapy tan lace behind on the glass.

Smell: This beer has a thick, full nose on it. Coffee is the big powerhouse in the nose. Nice roasty/toasty coffee and malt aromas. Some definite hints of chocolate, toffee and black licorice. Also haze a spicey booziness. Awesome nose on this beer.

Taste: Great flavor as well. Strong, roasted black coffee is matched up with some sweet roasted malt. Coffee leaves a mellow bitterness behind. There is a slight hoppiness that is pretty well hidden behind all of the other flavors. Spicey black licorice, with some faint chocolate and wood. Small touches of toffee are in there as well. Finishes with a coffee bitterness that is overtaken by a shot of booze and some hops. Quite a complex yet smooth flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky, full bodied mouthfeel. Almost thick and creamy. The level of carbonation is just about perfect.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable for such a big stout. This one is a sipper for me. I'm pretty impressed with this beer.

jaxon53, Jan 04, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Well I didn't get 1000 reviews yet but that's no reason to not end 08 with a bang...

Giant pour. Jeezers. I thought I was pouring it slow but the head it just unstoppable big and soapy brown atop an almost perfectly opaque body.

Smells of very strong coffee and wet stout. I say wet because it smells like the planar opposite of a dry stout--the malt doesn't leave the bitter taste on the back of your tongue. Instead, it hits up front. Same with the hops, which taste more American than European.

Tastes like soft, smooth chocolate up front, raw porter in the back, some coffee in the middle, and then an excellent aftertaste that's a combination of green west coast hops and dark, black coffee.

Excellent combination, very nicely balanced.

mynie, Jan 01, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Inky solid, deep brown color, bordering on black. Head is taupe, tinted with warm brown. The lace is the nice tight sheety looking kind and the retention is pleasantly reminiscent of a frothy cup of french pressed coffee. Aroma is quite tasty in my nose. Rich roasty, toasty coffee, bittersweet chocolate, creamy sugary cocoa and caramel. Simple aromas that are very pleasant in their subtle, smooth combination. I like the taste a lot also. It begins with lactic milkiness that weaves into earthy roast coffee, cocoa and velvety chocolate. The texture is thickly smooth yet slick. Drinkable chocolate comes to mind. The carbonation is spot on as well.

A pleasure to consume.

tastybeer, Dec 30, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

A- black coffee

S- more roasted coffee and dark chocolate

t- AMAZING chocolate mocha, this is like a starbucks drink.

M- thick but not too thick, just right, amazing!!

D- outstanding i wish this came in a bigger bottle and was easier to get. onwe of my favorites to date.

JWD, Dec 29, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Outstanding. One of my favorites. I thought Le Fin Du Monde was the reigning king of Canadian Beers, but this one is the sure winner.
Appearance: Almost black, tan head, excellent lacing
Smell: Rich dark coffee, dried fruits
Taste: Delicious deep roasted malts. Coffee, molassas,
Mouthfeel: creamy smooth
Drinkability: Savor the bottle!

potownbill, Dec 26, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a dark thick black with a dark brown creamy head. Aroma has a lot of coffee with slight tones of alcohol. Taste is rich with coffee with a pleasant aftertaste. Well balanced and smooth, slight hints of alcohol and bitterness. Good heavy texture. This beer is on the heavy side and although I would only want to have a couple at a time it is a very enjoyable beer.

tbeck, Dec 26, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours an opague black color. No hues of anything, no light passing through. Nice sized chocolate colored head with good retention and sheets of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is of sweet, dark chocolate and fresh roasted coffee.

Taste is more of the same as the aroma. Loads of fresh coffee here. There is a nice roasted bitterness from the coffee, along with a some chocolately sweetness. I would prefer a touch more viscosity in the mouthfeel, but really that is nitpicking. No sign of the nearly 10% ABV in this beer.

By far the best coffee stout I've had, and one of the best beers I've had overall. Here is a beer that lives up to its hype. Exceptional.

hckyfn9999, Dec 26, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -12.5%

Served from a bottle looking exactly like the one pictured here into my clean, clear Samuel Smith pint. No observable "best buy" date but I don't really think that it matters. I bought it a few weeks ago at Rozi's Wine house in Lakewood, Ohio for $5.99 for the 12 oz. bottle.

A Jet black ink body with actually a medium to DARK brown head. This is one mean looking beer. It poured in very thick indeed and its head stayed around for at least 3 minutes, taking its good sweet time to dissipate. In fact, it has been about 4 minutes since pouring and it is still hanging on.

S Ineteresting. First impressions are of a freshly opened package of coffee...French Roast. Repeated smells reveal a musty sense that I do not really like. It is not unlike smelling fresh coffee for too long and starting to get some bitterness in the smell.

T/M This might be the deepest, darkest, bad attitude stout that I have had. Certainly the dark coffee smell carries over into the taste as does that musty smell but there is a nice syrupy feel that carries the taste on for a bit. Suprisingly, the after taste is limited to about one minute and I am left with only a hint of the taste. Suprisingly since it is such a big beer I guess I expected the thickness to linger much longer than it does.

D I really do not think that stouts (and especially Imperial Stouts) are supposed to be particularly drinkable and this is no exception. IMO it is to be enjoyed one at a time (and certainly one per night as far as I am going to be doing).

Notes: A great, big badass stout with obvious coffee smells, tastes.

adamette, Dec 23, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -13%

This one pours out black with a giant, sticky brown head. The head falls back slowly, and is gone by the time you finish. You get decent lacing, as much as is expected from bottle-conditioned beers. The smell is coffee, but its not quite as coffee rich as some other similarly styled beers. You get a note of the roasted flavor, like the soy sauce flavor that accompanies the darkest of malts. The taste is really great. The backbone for many coffee beers is usually a bit sweeter, but this one is dark and roasty. Very interesting. You get the bitterness shining through, but there's also a very silky feeling to it. I'm a bit afraid that without the coffee you would get all soy sauce without the saltiness. But it's a flavor that I enjoy (though I doubt most other people would actually like it). You get quite a complex burst of flavors, that make you want to sit around and think about it. There's coffee and bittersweet malts, and the roasted flavors, all with a kick of silkiness, and you always want the next drink. I don't think this is as good as some other coffee stouts, but it's still good. I can't say I would buy cases of this and continue drinking it (which is quite normal for in my case most of the stronger stouts), but the likelihood of me finding it over and over again is rare enough that I would probably buy it if I see it again.

taylorhamrick, Dec 23, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours black with beautiful tan head which stayed there for a while. Smell - mostly coffee and dark chocolate, earthy malts. Taste - very good. Starts off with coffee, then chocolaty malts kick in and very bitter finish with warming alcohol. Very smooth and creamy, rich stout, one of the best of it's kind I've tryed so far. Drinkability - well, personally I wouldn't drink more than one at the time, but I do enjoy it.
Thanks to both Viggo and bobsy, I'm glad I have more than one of this!

Voonder, Dec 23, 2008
4.4/5  rDev 0%

A great looking stout. Black as a starless night in the Darkness goblet. A nice tan coloured head, a finger thick (would have been more except the volume of the glass caused me to take it easy at the end of the pour) with excellent retention. Nice, sticky, thin sheets of lace. This is a beautiful looking brew.

A nice nose on this one too. Creamy nougat, roasted malts, dark roasted coffee, a hint of anise, and earthy hops.

Wow, this is a tasty and incredibly rich brew. Creamy caramel nougat meets a good dose of earthy, rich dark roast coffee. Roasted malts hint at bittersweet chocolate and a whisp of smoke. A hint of anise appears near the finish before the earthy hops reminiscent of decaying leaves are revealed.

This is big on coffee as well as a rich, nougaty accompaniment. Almost full bodied and quite mildly carbonated, as it should be. Almost more coffee than roasted malts, which is surprising, but quite satisfying to this coffee lover. A very well crafted brew, with an interesting balance that is slightly coffee forward.

This is going down pretty easy considering just how big this beer is. A great treat on this bitter, windy winter night. I could knock a few of these back quite easily in one sitting, although the alcohol would catch up to me sooner rather than later. It does reveal itself with a palate and belly warming quality that is just what this bag of bones needs on this frigid winter solstice. Highly recommended for fans of coffee stouts. Im glad i have a few more bottles of this one to enjoy later when the mood strikes. It wont be too long.

demcorhip, Dec 22, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

11.5 oz bottle. Winter Storm Blast 2008, being snowbound and stuck at home leads me to a cellar stash break in to see what is calling my name.

Nicely complex brew pours out and leaves large small bubble head. Thick with a strong coffee flavor and sticky chocolate and dark fruit. Nice alcohol that blends so nicely into the beer leaving a warmth and resonance in your mouth.

If you like coffee, no make that GOOD coffee, this is a beer for you.

Dubbercody, Dec 21, 2008