Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a black color with a one finger tan head.

Smells of bittersweet chocolate,plums, dark coffee, roasted malts. Smells a lot like an expresso.

Starts off with a dark coffe flavor followed by a semi bittesweet dark chocolate with a minimal hop bitterness.

Full flavored beer with a decent amount of carbonation, leaves a bitter aftertaste.

I could not manage to drink more then one of these. Its a little to bitter for my taste though.

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I loved this beer. A nice smooth black pour with a head of tinted cream on top. One of the best (if not the best) coffee/chocolate tasting stouts I've have had. I love coffee stouts but when I tasted this one, all others (except for Founders Breakfast) left my mind. A strong mocha espresso aroma with a hint of alcohol. The flavor was very rich espresso with chocolate waves and a bit of bitterness. I was amazed at how easy it was to drink considering the ABV. I will be keeping the other two bottles in my cellar for awhile!! This is a must try for every stout lover!! Thank you Brasseris Dieu Du Ciel, everything I have tried from you is amazing!!!

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pitch black with creamy tan head that does not disappear.

S: Creamy, coffee, chocolate.

T: Mmmm, coffee, chocolate, a little sweet, not much molasses or soy in comparison to a Dark Lord style of beer. Hops kick in toward the back end with some bitterness. Very nicely balanced flavor.

M: Smooth, creamy texture, medium body, and fine medium carbonation. Silky smooth like Tayshaun Prince's game.

D: Really nice overall and highly drinkable. Reminds me a bit of Founders Breakfast Stout. Sold in the proper bottle size too - 12 oz.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a deep black with a tannish head. Nose had vanilla, coffee bean, cocoa, caramel. Taste was just terrific with a lot of coffee and espresso plus vanilla and bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel was really good. Drinkability is so good that it is dangerous. Well disguised ABV and great taste. No wonder its in the BA Top 100

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Just lovely obsidian body with a mocha head made from delicate layers of fine bubbles. Lots of lacing and some retention. Sexy.

Smell: Cafe Latte All The Way! Just a slightly milky creamy coffee aroma that entices you to take a sip :)

Taste: Well blended coffee stout. The coffee is never unnoticed but not overpowering either. I'm not even a coffee drinker and I love this stuff. Then again the bottle has been in my fridge for about 3 months so maybe I'm not having the freshest sample.

Mouthfeel: Not very heavy and well carbonated. I'm happy this one wasn't thick or syrupy.

Drinkability: Easy to down this brew although I wouldn't recommend drinking too many as too much caffeine is a bad thing. Especially when consumed in a mixed form with a depressant.

Home Run Straight 4.5's from me!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this on a whim (pardon my ignorance) at the Brick Store Pub. Pours a jet black color, with a thin, off-white colored head. A rather unassuming appearance to the forthcoming smell and taste. The aroma is full on nasal assault of coffee, I think there is some chocolate in there, but this thing is loaded on the coffee. It smells delicious, and tastes equally so. The strong coffee flavor tastes so amazing, with a slight caramel & chocolate background. You'd never know how strong this imperial stout is by the taste, the coffee & malt flavor is almost all you taste. It now takes the cake for me on coffee stouts. I have had many versions, and thought I had a favorite, but this now wins hands down. This stout also goes down rather easy, not too thick or strong. Really, a perfect balance.
Edit* Upon a second tasting against Founders Breakfast Stout, I am further strengthened in my opinion on the high quality of this coffee stout. It is truly a exemplary brew.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

A. Jet black with soft fluffy foam that is 1/2" tall and holds its own with any other beers retention. The lacing looks like tan snow sliding down a windshield.

S Coffee, raisins, leather, currants, chocolate, and booze.

T. The first taste is of coffee, then the hops kick in that attempt to balance this huge malt-bomb. Some roast and chocolate are nicely blended in the middle, but the its quite bitter which is also enhanced by the astrigency of the coffee. Just a little bit too much for this to have a better score from me. It is very complex and adds warmth deep down from the high ABV.

M. Thick and creamy in the mouth and high carbonation for style. I actually like higher carbonation in all of my beers so this is nice.

D. I really think I could session this 9.5% RIS with no problem. No, seriously.

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a solid opaque black color with a nice, frothy creamed coffee colored head and left some generous sheets of lacing down the glass. I've been enjoying several coffee stouts as of late, and this one has one of, if not THE best coffee noses I've come across so far. The aroma is all espresso back up by some light chocolate, lots of roasty notes and some alcohol. Upon my first taste, my first words were, "Oh My God!" This beer is rich in complex coffee goodness. It tastes exactly like those chocolate covered espresso bean treats. Flavor weaves in and out of chocolaty goodness and strong, bitter roasted coffee. This is easily the best coffee stout I've ever tasted. It's roasty, toasty, chocolaty, coffee goodness that just doesn't stop. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, incredibly smooth despite the large amounts of coffee and the bitterness. Alcohol is very well hidden and alcohol is barely noticeable. It's just way too easy to drink for it's strength in flavor and alcohol, which is dangerous considering the ABV. This beer is just fantastic. I'm glad I picked up two bottles, as one will surely makes it's way into the cellar area of my basement. Coffee stouts, or any stout for that matter, just don't get any better than this. SEEK THIS OUT.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a bottle gotten via trade from jjazz.

A: A deep black color with a nice one finger light brown head. Beer pours thick and leaves nice glass lacing.

S: Wow, so complex. Massive amounts of coffee and dark bitter chocolate. A hint of hops is detected.

T: Again, what a complex beer. I ran through a whole gamut of flavors. It starts with coffee but an almost burnt coffee and even some espresso and maybe charcoal or tar. I then get a real nice bitter chocolate flavor but not real sweet, it stays creamy and smooth. Towards the finish I pick up a hint of some vanilla and a touch of hops. Very nice, no scratch that, it's excellent.

M: Full and coating with a trace of alcohol but not overly so as one would think. Real bitter finish that is wonderful.

D: Not bad for a high abv beer. I could put down 2 if I had them, they are real drinkable.

Overall an exceptional beer that was just fabulous and oh so complex. Wow, I'll need some more of this. Excellent.

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured almost completely black with a generous tan head that lasted a long time. The aroma was dominated by the smell of coffee with chocolate also coming through. The taste was similar and balanced well and also had a bit of a nutty taste. Mouthfeel was proper for a stout. Drinkability was high for a beer of this abv.

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

Stumbled upon this beer at Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH. Picked it up due to it being so highly rated right here on BA.

Pours jet flippin black with caramel head. Excellent lacing as this beer disappears.

Smells of coffee, black coffee. No cream or sugar in it. BLACK COFFEE!

Tasts of roasted malts with a hint of creaminess. Aftertaste goes to coffee.

The mouthfeel is thick, just like a Imp. Stout should be.

Definitely not a session beer but extremely drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours an extremely dark brown with a big, finely bubbled, brown head with excellent retention; that leaves rings as you slowly sip it down. Smell is very interesting: aromas of stale coffee (which is so interesting that I don't consider it a bad thing), dark chocolate, and burnt wood. Fascinating taste: roasted coffee loud and clear (but that was expected and isn't necessarily an endorsement), dark chocolate truffles, smoke and charry bitterness - I love it. Full-bodied but perfectly carbonated. For 4 dollars for an 11.5 oz bottle I was hoping for this kind of quality and I'm relieved that it delivered. I will definitely buy this one again and show it to friends. One of the most interesting stouts I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

I've been hording my few bottles of this for quite some time now so finally I am going to crack on of these beauties.

Pours pretty much black with a large tan head. Moderate carbonation. Aroma is pretty big milky cocoa, malts, oaky and slightly ashy. Flavor is bitter cocoa, light hops, molasses. The mouthfeel is dry, chalky and bitter, and I love it like that. This one was well worth the wait. Now I have to hoard my three remaining bottles.

Aroma is absolutely magnificent - like unsweetened chocolate with an undertone of rich roast coffee. It pours like motor oil and comes out opaque sable, just a shade this side of black, with a thick, fine, persistent tan head. Fabulous flavor is chocolaty but not sweet, with tones of coffee and smoke, nutty hints, and a touch of hops. Texture is tingly and lively so it practically dances down the esophagus. Strongly recommended, especially to Stouties.

341 mL bottle, courtesy of DoubleJ, thanks Jon,

A: Pours a dark brown with a medium cap of literal brown head. Good lacing.

S: Smells like a strong cup of coffee, great smell, nothing more to say.

T: Has all the good flavours of coffee without being overly bitter. The coffee mixes well with the roasted malt, no burnt flavours. Dark chocolate and a light hop characteristic bitterness in the finish.

M: Does not have a huge, thick body, but is real smooth and creamy. The lighter mouthfeel gives it excellent drinkability for its size and style.

D: This is just straight up good beer out of Montreal, Canada. If you don't like it there's something wrong with you. Quite deserving of its top 100 status, a treat.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Dark black brew with a nice thick, creamy coffee-colored head and bubbles that go down instead of up. Nice lacing.

Smell: In a word - espresso earthiness, with hints of chocolate and toffee, and dark fudge.

Taste: Smooth, not harsh or bitter, coffee and espresso, with a touch of chocolate and caramel malt. It seems to be an essential part of beer, unlike other stouts where it seems imposed. Too many coffee beers taste of burnt coffee and used grinds, this one does not.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Best coffee beer I have had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

11.5 oz shoulder bottle from Vidalia in Lansdale (before it closed). Purchased for around $6. Split the bottle with a friend.

Pours a pretty sludgy looking black with a cocoa powder colored head that sported fairly good retention and some nice lacing. Good looking stout.

Smell was mostly burnt dark malts and alcohol. Not bad, but I think they forgot to put the coffee in mine.

No coffee taste either. Tasted like burnt malts, faint chocolate and booze. Not really much else going on. My friend didn't taste any coffee either.

Mouthfeel was fairly rich, viscous, medium low carbonation. A bit of a burn from the alcohol.

Drinkability is just average. Not exactly undrinkable but it certainly didn't make me want to drink another. This one really didn't live up to its reputation. I wish I had tried it when it was more fresh, but it has been in a fridge since I bought it. We were so disappointed that we had to make some coffee afterwards to make up for the disappointment. I have another bottle in my cellar and I am regretting shelling out the money for it. The Derniere and Route de Espice were much better. Maybe I can trade my second bottle to somebody that would enjoy it more.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark black pour with a foamy, frothy top. Great lacing and retention. Stays around like tan sea foam. Thick grains in the nose. Roasted and sugary. Goes down thick and oily with a clear flavor of roasted coffee. Has a lingering coarseness and a noticeable bite of alcohol. It can't get much better than this.

2.3/5  rDev -47.7%

well after all the hype i had to give this one a try,

pours motor oil black with two finger tan head,

smells of alcohol and burnt espresso,

tastes the exact same, if i were to roast some espresso beans until they were charred all the way through, then threw them into a blender with ice and vodka, thats exactly how this tasted to me.

too boozy and too much espresso for me,

i understand what they were going for, and they hit the nail right on the head,

but for me, this is too over the top to enjoy,

couldn't finish it.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to dmeadows for this want.

A - What you want from a RIS. Thick and pitch black that settles with a milk chocolate head which leaves a web.

S - Just like my double espresso with a packet of raw sugar.

T - More black coffee, I'd be damned if this doesn't taste like the carbonated version of what I drink in the morning.

M/D - Medium body with good carbonation. Drinkable, but two would be enough.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong roasted coffee, dark malts, some dark chocolate and a faint touch of alcohol.

T: The taste as expected is very malty and full of black coffee along with some creamy chocolate. It's not as intensely sweet as some other big stouts. There's not much of a hops presence but it's really not needed in this type of beer as it retains a good balance without it. The alcohol is very well-disguised. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean for the style.

D: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easily, slightly filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is definitely one of the better coffee-flavored beer that I've had. It's certainly one that is worth sticking with for a long time.

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

I purchased this single bottle at State Line Liquors in Elkton Md. Poured chilled into my snifter.

A - Opaque, black w/ a med tan band of tightly beaded foam. The surface is wavy from a somewhat hard pour. The had becomes lace rapidly as the cap condenses. A beautiful tan like crema atop an espresso shot. A mocha would envy the appearance of this stout in the glass.

S - The odor of strong black coffee and yeast rise to my nostrils. The smell is like an espresso shot in intensity w/ raw sugar generously added. The aroma is malty and not overly so as the coffee aromas really stand out w/ nicely roasted bean quality and subtle spiced scents - possibly an earthy hop aroma somewhere in there to boot.

M - Very smooth at 1st, then the feel gets roasty and dry. The creamy oily texture unravels to a spiced and slightly alcoholic texture - a bit like coffee's astringency toward the end of the cup. The texture has an almost herbal/mildly medicinal quality.

T - the taste is biiter cocoa and tinges of anise w/ a cocoa covered espresso bean flavor. The malt pushes the roasted beans bitterness in the flavor. There is subtle dark malt in the taste and fruit w/ plum-like essence and slight elements of black pepper. A hint of molasses and bready yeast combine to make a dessert-like taste which at times tastes like coffee mousse and other moments seems like a smore w/ extremely dark chocolate and coffee soaked marshmallows. The flavors linger w/ both sweet and bitter attributes well into the next taste. A great quality to have when the beer tastes this darn good.

D - The drinkability is top notch - I like the dry approach w/ the beans adding more bitterness and there is less sweetened coffee taste - more or less good if you like your coffee w/out the sugar this will suit you. Peche Mortel has more spice and java than most + yet still a great Imperial stout underneath it all.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

a - poured a one finger thick coffee colored head with a black body.
s - sweet and malty with a hint of coffee. overall the aroma is muted.
t - coffee, dry and with a touch of dark fruits like raisins. a touch hot.
m - bubbly.
d - good beer but this is one that i should have aged longer than the ~4 months i did.

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

by outer edges line a fine line of mahogany brown that gradients from a pitch black core. A tight brown head lurks atop a motor oil underbelly.

dark, roasted, acrid, charcoal aromas emanate from the beer. I very very minor downfall comes about that a faint malt aroma linger between coffee aromas.

sweet almost bready malt character clings to an eye awakening fresh pot of coffee taste. no detectable hop flavor but a bitterness protrudes through layers of sweet malt and dark roasted coffee.

boarderline thick almost viscous put the mouthfeel in a category that i would call a RIS. possibly due to lower attenuation, but i really don't mind, this beer is neither cloying or too sweet, it is however a complete experience.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thankyou to Maximum12 for sending me this brew in the BA Secret Santa '08 BIF. Served this at nearly cellar temperature, in a snifter, from an 11.5 ounce bottle. I've been wanting to try this for sometime now.

Appearance: Peche Mortel pours out a thick looking, spent motor oil black that not a single ray of light could pass through. A rather easy pour resulted in about two fingers of fluffy, coffee brown colored head. Head had pretty good retention, slowly faded into a thick gob of foam that sat atop the black mass of beer. Each sip left ring after ring of soapy tan lace behind on the glass.

Smell: This beer has a thick, full nose on it. Coffee is the big powerhouse in the nose. Nice roasty/toasty coffee and malt aromas. Some definite hints of chocolate, toffee and black licorice. Also haze a spicey booziness. Awesome nose on this beer.

Taste: Great flavor as well. Strong, roasted black coffee is matched up with some sweet roasted malt. Coffee leaves a mellow bitterness behind. There is a slight hoppiness that is pretty well hidden behind all of the other flavors. Spicey black licorice, with some faint chocolate and wood. Small touches of toffee are in there as well. Finishes with a coffee bitterness that is overtaken by a shot of booze and some hops. Quite a complex yet smooth flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky, full bodied mouthfeel. Almost thick and creamy. The level of carbonation is just about perfect.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable for such a big stout. This one is a sipper for me. I'm pretty impressed with this beer.

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel