Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-09-2003

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

The Péché Mortel was born in our Montreal brewpub in October 2001.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,126 | Reviews: 1,654
4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

Reviewed on 6/15/08. Bottle. Pours black with a thick tan head that persists somewhat. Aroma of coffee, roasted and sweet malt. Aroma is weak (not as in not strong, just not very rich and robust). However, the flavor is a bit richer: lots and lots of burnt coffee (even stronger than in the aroma), bitter roasted malt, and peanut brittle. Strong, thick mouthfeel for a 9.5%. Not my favorite coffee stout (Beer Geek Breakfast is more balanced, less bitter and roasted), but still quite enjoyable and a very interesting beer to drink. Definitely try this one, it is quite unique!
7/4/9/4/16 (4.0/5)

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours nearly opaque, and black by all appearances. Head is medium brown and doesn't last long.

Nose is chocked full of dark chocolate, 3 Muskateers nougat, and espresso beans.

Palate has more dark roasted coffee, espresso or Vienna roast perhaps, bittersweet chocolate, and some roasty malt flavors. Hops are there but you can't get past the joy of the dark roasted coffee flavors.

Great example of the style. Few coffee stouts pull off this dark roast profile so well.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked this up from a few folks in a few trades. Thanks to all!

A - Pours opaque black. Huge 3-finger brown head has insane staying power. Thick, chunky lacing is left behind, with a fluffy cap and thick collar. Pretty!

S - Nose starts with sweet, caramelly espresso. Toffee, chocolate, fig, and smoke come through as well.

T - Huge espresso, followed by caramel, toffee, and smoke. Slightly sweet, but balanced by roasty bitterness. Light alcohol burn.

M - Soft and creamy, medium full.

D - The alcohol brings it down a notch, but I keep wanting to go back for more.

Absolutely delicious and deserving of the accolades.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

Appears an opaque black with a tan head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of cocoa, espresso, caramel, ripe dark fruit, black grapes, and vanilla cream.
Taste is of the aromas with a plum flavor thrown into the mix of the cocoa, and wonderfully brewed espresso, and brown sugar.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, with mild mocha bitterness coming through.
A beautiful brew!

4.17/5  rDev -5.2%

A deep, chocolate/java layer cake. Decadent thick cocoa milk shake balanced by a dark coffee roast. A spectrum from sweet mocha through cappacino with a bite. Malt provide a toasty dry ride with hops just to level the playing field. The real treat comes from the espresso chocolate chip brownie. Awesome.

3.73/5  rDev -15.2%

As a coffee industry professional, beer's like this one are tough for me to evaluate.

As a beer, this is good enough I suppose. The flavors mesh nicely, the finish evolves and shows new complexities, and the overall palate impression is a good one.

With that said...the coffee flavor is not at all what I was hoping for. Lots of dark roastiness, but little of the nuance and characteristic aromas that I love to find in my favorite coffees. I suppose that would be a bit much to ask for from a beer; the delicate flavor of good coffee is incredibly unstable, and perhaps there is no way preserve it in a finished beer.

This is a style I'll be staying away from in the future.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

11.5 oz/~340mL bottle poured into a nonic glass

A - an inky black mess, as can be expected for this style of beer. The head was slightly lighter than dark brown, 2.5cm in height, and it dissipated rather quickly a small foamy halo.

S - coffee, dark chocolate, coffee, and some coffee. The chocolate/coffee aroma provides a nice mocha-like scent heretofore unsmelled in similar brews.

T - prior to an explosion of coffee flavor, there's something sweet, fruity, and barely there...I'm thinking banana. It disappears as the beer warms. The coffee is followed by a roasty dark chocolate flavor which cascades into a bitter ending complete with a touch (and I mean a touch) of alcohol. The alcohol is barely noticeable, and for a Imperial Coffee Stout, this beer is not as one dimensional as I thought it would be.

M - thick, nearly creamy as a good Imp. Stout should be, but it seemed to have a little too much carbonation. (I'm thinking on the mouthfeel scale, it would be a 4.8, but I didn't want to put a 4.5 because that would be subtracting too much for a minor imperfection.)

D - great, the alcohol is well hidden and the flavor, which is very strong, isn't that overpowering nor as one dimensional as some coffee stout and chocolate stouts can be.

One of the (if not the) greatest beer I've ever had the privilege to drink.

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Black pour, not even much light getting through arount the edges. Small dark brown head. Very nice roast coffee and roast malt aromas. Med/full bodied with a descent amount of small carbonation, not quite creamy. Coffee, coffee and some mocha or bakers chocolate, coffee bitters in the finish. A little bitey, but mellows nicely as it warms. No messin around, very good straigh forward, yet slightly different than the norm Imperial. More of a good java stout than a straight Imperial. Not quite a good as the Bell's or Southern Tier I've had. Still worth finding however.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Opaque black with one finger of coffee colored head and some pretty good lacing as well

S - Rich roasted coffee.

T - Nice rich roasted coffee with solid chocolate component. Some coffee/chocolate bitterness to be found. Nice crisp taste. Alcohol is extremely well hidden for 9.5 ABV

M - Thick body with medium carbonation. Creamy texture that coats your mouth

D - Extremely enjoyable and easy to drink. Probably one of my favorite coffee stouts I have had thus far.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%

Presentation: 11.5 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Very deep mahogany, and completely opaque. Sturdy pour yields ~1 1/2 fingers of brown head, which settles slowly fades into a thin, incomplete cap.

S- Earthy, burned, alcohol infused coffee. Try as I might, I am unable to cull anything beyond this for description.

T- Sweet crispness on the front, with a bit of raisin/fig/cherry cordial. This sweetness seems to increase slightly as the drink warms. Finishes with a nice, bitter coffee/espresso taste. Alcohol heat on the back of the back of the tongue/ throat is distinct at the first drink, though not overwhelming, and decreases quite perceptibly throughout consumption.

M- Surprisingly crisp on the front of my tongue, with moderate/low carbonation. Finishes very creamy and smooth. Slight numbing effect on front/middle of tongue noted towards the end of my serving.

D- A nice slow sipper, though smooth and easy drinking enough for it's 9.5 % ABV to go down a bit quicker than you might wish....

Future outlook: I'm sure we'll meet again in a snifter someday down the road

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip. Péché Mortel is black with a two finger, light brown head. The head lingers for 5 minutes, and thick lacing is all over the glass.

The aroma is dominated by coffee. I'm having a hard time detecting much else. Some roasted malt and bitter chocolate.

Taste is of bitter coffee. Tastes like a cold iced coffee with very understated alcohol flavor. Surprisingly bitter. The finish is long and bitter with a slight sweetness to it.

Full bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very good. I can't fault a beer for tasting like coffee when that's what was intended, but I've never been a big fan of coffee dominated imperial stouts. This seems more like coffee than like beer. I can definitely dig it and appreciate it for what it is though.

That being said, I just realized it's getting late and that this beer probably has a lot of caffeine so I don't think I'll be finishing it. Damn...why did I open a coffee stout so late.

Great beer. Beautiful black with a creamy chocolaty head. The aroma and taste are full of sweet coffee - really nice blend with the other ingredients. Alcohol is hidden perfectly. This was more carbonated than most really good stouts I've had, but it was still really full-bodied. Straight 5s for me - one of the few best stouts I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Pitch black pour at exactly 55 dgrees. in a 14oz snifter, all space above the beer is filled by a dark tan head which sticks to the glass as it dissipates.

Coffee smell fills the air. Tough to identify much more than coffee on the nose, but in its defense, I am a touch stuffy. There's a little sweet malt.

First sip - coffee everywhere. This is the most coffee flavored beer I think I've ever had. That's good, but I've got to say, it's just a bit much. There's a nice bitterness - from hops or from the coffee? There's a little heat, but the alcohol is well hidden under the flavor. There's definitely some complexity here, a little nuttiness: walnuts. There's definitely some bitter chocolate as well.

The mouthfeel is smooth, but not very thick.

If you're a coffeehead, I imagine you could drink this one forever. I like coffee - good coffee - but I don't drink it very often.

I wish there was more complexity to this one. If speedway stout didn't come in 750's, I'd pour one to compare head to head, but I appreciate the complexity of the SS over this one. The bitterness, nuttiness, chocolate are all nice, but I have a hard time thinking I'm drinking anything other than an alcoholic cup of joe here. That said, SS is one of my favorite beers - and this one is *very* good.

Most people say not to age this one (coffee flavor will weaken) - but I think I may put 1 or 2 aside and see what I think in a year or two. I'd like to see the coffee die down just a bit and some malts come forward for some additional complexity. Fortunately, I was able to pick up a 6-pack.

This is a great one, but my expectations were high - and not quite met.

3.8/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Pours jet black, small brown head.

S - Strong java aroma hits me before I even get my nose near the glass. As I move in for a closer smell, that is all I can pick up is a very strong java coffee bean aroma and a tiny hint of chocolate malt.

T - Along with the smell, a strong java taste and a slight hint of chocolate malts. The 9.5% is very well hidden. For all of the coffee stouts I've had, this one is strong on the java presence which I'm not a huge fan of.

M - Medium carbonation keeps away that sticky palate.

D - Nice sipper here on a warm night, for coffee lovers.

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep dark brown with brass highlights, a tan head and delicate lace. The smell is like chocolate and fresh ground coffee beans.what a great taste. Different than any stout I've had. A very complex rush of flavours washes over the palette. I'm not too good at describing these things but it's all roasted malt and dark chocolate with a soft bitter slightly burnt after taste. The alcohol definitely is there but doesn't overpower. A perfect beer for coming in out of the snow and sitting in front of the fireplace. Mmmmm.

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours out black as hell. Dark tan head that hangs around forever. Smell is rich, dark roast coffee. Really exceptional.

Taste is bold and creamy. Rich dark roast malts combine with distinct coffee flavors. Some bittersweet chocolate as well. Semi-sweet up front with a somewhat dry finish. Slight alcohol in the finish, too.

Mouthfeel is insanely creamy and chewy. Perfect match to the flavors. A nearly 10% ABV beer should not drink this easy. Incredibly smooth.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to rsyberg01 for this one via a LIF.

A: Dark brown/black with long lasting brown head
S: Roasted coffee, chocolate
T: Coffee and dark chocolate
M: Creamy, low to moderate carbonation
D: Highly drinkable, one of the better examples of the style that I have seen.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%

Presentation: Poured from a 11.5 oz brown bottle into a large snifter. Label depicts A lady with snakes either wrapped around her head or possibly as hair? Medusa? Can't tell. No freshness date, but not too sure that matters. A twist off top, which I found interesting on a beer many people (myself included) are going to age.

Appearance: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of almost brown head. This settles to a thin coating of foam with an island in the center. Decent lacing. The beer itself is absolutely opaque and seems to absorb light like a black hole. Looks to be more brown than black. A thick layer of well compacted sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Extremely strong smell in general, I can smell it well before I get my nose down to the glass. Notes of licorice, anise, chocolate, and bitter coffee all wrapped up with strong alcohol sweetness. This just smells like it is going to kick your ass.

Taste: Decent carbonation bite helps to deliver the flavor and prevent the cloying feeling so often present in big beers. An immediate slightly sweet chocolate malt flavor on the front of your tongue. Middle flavors of raisins and figs with a fairly mild roastiness. Finishes with a definite kick from the high ABV and warms you quickly. Slight hints of vanilla and cherries in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level, just right to cut through the bold flavors. Body is incredibly good, thick and viscous.

Drinkability: A big, bold, impressive beer that is meant to be sipped and savored. Well blended, with great body and a nice balancing carbonation. I look forward to slowly pulling these out of the cellar.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a deeper black color in the glass, with a brown and creamy head.
Nice coffee, nutty, light fruity smell.
Notes of coffee, roastiness, wood, chocolate taste and expresso in finish.
Thick and creamy with a nice finish.
Easy drinking. Very complex and equilibrated beer. What I habitually look in a good imperial stout. Cheers

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured this 11.5 oz brown bottle into a Duvel glass. Difficult to discern but maybe notched 0 0? Created a very tall head which eventually faded to a lumpy film. The head was chocolate milkshake brown and the body was glossy jet black. Served about 50 degrees F. Happened to be listening to Arcade Fire (Canadian band) while drinking this Canadian beer on a cold night in Kentucky.

Smell was roasty, acrid, and chocolaty malts. Steel. Cocoa powder and fresh brewed coffee grounds.

Taste reflected the aromas very well. Espresso beans. Some sweetness from the rich malts. There was a lingering dark chocolate and coffee bitterness that was never cloying.

Mouthfeel was a bit numbing. Zing on the tongue from carbonation. Alcohol was well hidden.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to Greggy for this one. This beer pours a thick motor oil black color. The head is large, dark tan, and never really recedes. The aroma is of graham cracker, dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, nuts, and hints of cherry. The taste is full of dark chocolate, coffee, graham cracker, and nuts. The finish is a nice lingering roasted malt bitterness. It is a lot like the aroma, but not quite as nuanced. The mouthfeel is wonderfully chewy with a silky texture, and low carbonation. Overall, this is one beautiful beer. I really appreciate how balanced this is for an Imperial Stout. I like how all of the gorgeous malt flavors are allowed to express themselves without tons of hops getting in the way. I would love to have this available in my area.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a sludgy deep dark black with thin coffee colored head. Aroma is dominated by strong roasted coffee. Chocolate, toffee, roasted malt and alcohol also present. Very strong roasted coffee flavor with hints of chocolate, toffee, burnt bread and a nice alcohol warmth in the finish.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a black color, not overly thick, with nice brown head and lacing.

S- Nice caramel, coffee, toffee, nutty, cherry, graham cracker.

T- Notes of coffee, roastiness, chocolate, cherry, oak, vanilla, mainly dry coffee notes of the finish

M- Thick and creamy with a nice finish.

D- Nice and easy drinking delicious Impy. The ABV is well hidden making it quite drinkable. Will plan on having again. Big thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for the tade.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Pours near-opaque with brown frothy head. Some lacing noted.
Smell: Smells deeply of dark fruits, a little coffee in there as well. A little reminiscent of Aventinus.
Taste: Here's where the Aventinus comparison ends. Traditional stout flavors present first, with deep roasted malts and balancing hops. The coffee pulls midway trough the tasting. Some cocoa also noted. The coffee bitterness is well-controlled and is a little less dominant (eg- KBS). Alcohol presence is there, but is not 'boozy'.
Mouthfeel: Creamy and thick, clean at the finish.
Drinakbility: I'm not a big coffee guy, but this brew can convert me. Not at all overpowering- adds to the drinakbility. A sipper nonetheless due to its complexity and ABV.

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

A - opaque black, frothy dark tan head with good retention, and excellent lacing.

S - deep dark coffee, with an underlying layer of dark chocolate and dry almonds

T - sweet toffee and dark fruit malt upfront, alchol and roasted malts linger long into a soothing finish. Not a huge coffee presence in the taste, but it is there. No hop flavour.

M - big chewy mouthfeel, oily, smooth alcohol warmth

D - this is a very good imperial stout, with an added dimension of coffee

Is this the best imperial stout I've ever tasted? No. But it's definitely the best one in Canada. Not much to complain about, although it does seem a little too sweet at times, and I think I could handle a bigger roasted flavour. This is minor quibbling though, it really is a fine beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel