Aphrodisiaque - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

AphrodisiaqueAphrodisiaque

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Also known as Aphrodite or Aphrodisiac in the USA.

(Cacao Et A La Vanille)

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003)

I did not want to rate a beer a 5 so early on in my Beer Advocate reviewing career but honestly there is nothing about this beer that isnt perfect (in my opinion of course).

Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary bulb glass.

Appearance: A semi rough pour produces a one and a half finger mocha colored head which recedes a little but stays at about a quarter of a finger for the rest of the glass. The beer itself is pitch black and when held up to the light even the beer at the edge of the glass allows no light through.

Smell: Wow the nose on this beer is so radiant. Every time I smell it, it brings a smile to my face. My nose is pummeled with a delicious mixture of chocolate and vanilla. The scents meld together so well. I could smell this all night.

Taste: Smooth chocolate and some vanilla at the end of the sip. This beer is so smooth and creamy, which really enhances the flavors previously mentioned. There is minimal bitterness present and a fair amount of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, exactly what I desire in a stout. I find most non imperial stouts to be thin and over carbonated, not this one. The carbonation is light and perfect given the thickness of the brew and each sip is as smooth as the last.

Overall: This has been one of my favorites since the first bottle I consumed. This is probably the fifth time I am experiencing this beer and I have yet to have any disappointment. Easily in the top 5 beers I have ever had and far and away my favorite American Stout. I have been looking for a clone recipe for this brew, due to its limited availability, for while but to no avail. This beer is amazing and certainly worth seeking out. A little expensive at $6 for an 11.2 oz bottle but I will be replensihing my stock soon, before my store runs out.

In a snifter, the Aphrodite is a beautiful beer. Nearly pitch black in the body, the stout has a creamy tan head that fills a few fingers above the beer. The nose is a powerful blast of vanilla, not unlike high-quality vanilla extract. Still, it's far from one-dimensional, as chocolate - specifically dark, bitter chocolate - coffee, and some roasted barley round things out.

The taste? Heaven. Aphrodite is the beer version of a chocolate and vanilla milkshake. The taste is a flip of the nose - chocolate dominates, with vanilla taking the back seat. There's a bit of coffee in the background, too. The full, round flavor, which leans a little on the sweet with a bit of bitter cocoa, isn't far off from a mocha latte. Seriously, this is close to the perfect damn beer. Imagine your favorite coffee, chocolate or vanilla drink, and you'll have notes of it in the Aphrodite. At 6.5% and packed full of flavor, the beer is almost a sipper - but tastes so good you might find yourself gulping it down.

I've had a few stouts and this is one of the best I've ever had. If you add a shot of a good port it would make for a good "Bloody Aphrodisiaque." I'm still debating whether it would make a good Aphrodisiaque float (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream), but I don't see why not since it already has vanilla in it. High five to the brewery :)

Aphrodisiaque from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel