Aphrodisiaque - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

AphrodisiaqueAphrodisiaque

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Also known as Aphrodite or Aphrodisiac in the USA.

(Cacao Et A La Vanille)

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003)

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

After enjoying the rich coffee infused flavor of Peche Mortel, I wanted to see what else Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel was capable of. Aphrodite really pulled me in with the promise of vanilla bean infusion on the label but proved to be a disappointment.

Appearance was that of a stout with a quickly dissipating head. Was there for a half a minute, then gone like a dark cola.

This smells like stale coffee.

The taste is boring a lifeless. Where is the vanilla?

Prickly mouthfeel like a cola. Not appropriate for a stout.

Drinkability is meh. I could drink more but I don't want to.

There are far better stouts. At around $5 a bottle this seems like it is riding on the coat tails of Peche Mortel and living off of its success. Will not buy again and recommend steering clear.

hopsbreath, Mar 22, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

mwbrady12, Jul 17, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Darwin, Feb 27, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

Bottle shared by blatantdream. Dated 4/3, no year given.

Pour is a stout-like deep brown, leaving a mild rim of tan fizz around the edges. Yeast dominates the nose, though some vanilla and chocolate do make it through.

Doesn't really taste like a stout. Tons of yeast here; second most prominent flavor is booze -- surprising given its low ABV. Totally missed the mark; this one needs work.

Swing and a miss for DDC.

brystmar, Apr 26, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

pours jet black with a 1 finger tan head that has good retention and left spotted lacing

smell - while not overpowering - big vanilla a little milk and chocolate - very good for a stout of only 6.5%

taste is a bit of a let down - flavors a a bit thin the vanilla is a little overpowering and artificial

mouthfeel is thin light and boring(but the taste has a lot of play into this)

drinkability is not great - 5 bones a bottle and they gives us this watery thin stout - pass

jsh420, Nov 28, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -29.2%

A - Pillowy head, khaki in colour, 3 fingers high. Totally black and opaque.

S - Coffee, vanilla, slight amount of booziness. Vanilla comes through the most.

T - Vanilla comes through in the finish. Starts all coffee and a hint of chocolate with vanilla in the aftertaste and a bitter tinge. Maybe some smoke in the finish too. Dangerously sweet from the vanilla for my tastes. Possibly some smoke in the finish.

M - Creamy. Slightly harsh going down, almost like I have to choke it down. Mild carbonation.

D - Good but too sweet from the vanilla aspect. Not my scene. Really complex and packed with flavours, just the wrong ones for me.

tbeckett, Oct 11, 2010

Black Ale / American Stout

A: Super dark chocolaty brown, not quite solid black.

S. Super strong scent of chocolate with a light hint of vanilla

Taste&Mouthfeel: To put it in simple context (and a non insulting way) This is chocolate soda. Not creamy enough to taste light chocolate milk, but soda like consistency with all that cacao hitting you and a very almost imperceptible vanilla ending.

overall. Not bad, as crazy as it sounds this would pair extremely well with anything vanilla. I would like to give it a shot with some vanilla ice cream on the side.

alexhahn82, May 22, 2011

Phillyz, Jun 16, 2013

HopsintheSack, Aug 02, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -26.8%

Interesting. My bottle says "Aphrodite" on it, yet I could find no information regarding a name change, and surprisingly, it wasn't even listed as an alias. I wonder how old this bottle is.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Founders tulip. Beer pours a jet black shade with an extremely thin layer of what can best be simply described as a layer of carbonation. Whatever it is, it definitely does not constitute a "head" or a "crown". The layer is very bubbly, effervescent, and fleeting. This beer has absolutely no legs whatsoever. It doesn't cling to the glass even a little. The nose is very disappointing. There almost isn't one. The bottle's label mentions cocoa and vanilla beans. I don't detect either. Just some faded coffee. The taste is marginally better than the nose, in that I can actually get a grasp of the coffee element. It's not bold by any means, but it's there. Not a lot else going on. The mouthfeel simply isn't what I'd expect from this. It's thin, and despite the visual lack of carbonation on the pour, manages to give off a very tingly feel. On second thought, it's just astringent. This doesn't coat the mouth, and just leaves bitterness behind. I've got a feeling this is an older bottle. I wonder what it'd have been like fresh. I truly believe coffee beers are best enjoyed fresh, despite everyone's insatiable desire to cellar everything called a stout.

Retail1LO, Dec 25, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle with my favorite label to date, love the artwork on the labels out of Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Bottle says "Aphrodite", so, like the last reviewer, I dont know how old this one is. It is marked 2-7 on the side, but I have no clue what that means.

Pours jet black & a dark khaki head sits atop, but sinks quick. Descent amount of lacing slides down the glass with each sip. Smell is kind of muted here in my opinion. I was expecting way more from this one but I do get a little of the ingredients - light java, sweet milk chocolates, a touch of vanilla, and a very sweet caramel apple like quality. Right off the bat, I feel the body is a bit thin for my taste in stouts, but it does go down smooth & creamy. Carbonation isnt quite there either & taste follows the nose but muted as well. I get more coffee quality out on the tongue - but I am thinking this is an old bottle & is not even close to a fresh bottle.

I'm going to try & get a fresh bottle via trade soon & re-review then, as I dont think this review does justice to the brew.

hoptualBrew, Jan 04, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

Very differeint with an overpowering Vanilla taste
Appearance: Black. Dark tan head that left a nice lacing on the top of the glass
Smell: Lots of promise. Roasted Malts, hint of vanilla, dark coffee, very stout like
Taste: This is where this beer lost me. Overpowering vanilla flavor, burying the roasted malt flavor. Mouthfeel: Almost chalky.
Drinkability: Got tired of the taste after the third sip.

potownbill, Feb 11, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -25.7%

This poured a deep black with brown rim and small head that dissipated to lace. The beer was poured too cold.

Cocoa nibs and roasted coffee on the nose with a definite malt sweetness underneath.

The first sip was a complete - WOW!! moment. Cocoa and coffee with a nice bitter finish. It wasn't sweet like a dessert beer. It has real power behind it. Definitely has gobs of bitter chocolate flavor - very cocoa-like. Reminds me of drinking melted baker's chocolate, but in a good way.

After that initial WOW - the palate never changed. I didn't get any more characters from the beer and the brew started to become boring. I was hoping for an earthiness or a spice or something to kick in as the beer warmed - nothing.

I love the unctuous mouthfeel of this beer. I love a good, toothsome brew anyday!

Drinkability suffered because my lack of interest. If this were a tasting pour of 2oz - the review would have been stellar. But, this was a bottle- and it was difficult to drink the entirety.

I would purchase this beer again. I would want to have it with food. There is a recipe Three Ingredient Prime Rib Roast that this beer would marry quite well with: 1/3 cup finely ground coffee; 2 Tablespoons kosher salt; 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper; 1/4 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped; 1 12-pound, bone-in prime rib roast (5 bones)

DawnL, Apr 15, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -25.7%

Appearance: Produce a finger of darker lace that modestly retained and laced. Black as night as to be expected from a stout. Nice, but nothing to write home about.

Smell: It smells like dark coffee with notes of dark chocolate and only the barest undertones of vanilla. Warming is really needed for this offering, as the sweeter elements begin to come out.

Taste: Starts with a hint of vanilla and chocolate that gradually shifts to a very bitter and overly roasted malt that dominates the experience, building to an almost unbearable level before being smoothed out by the return of the darker chocolate and a bit of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Has a bit of a sticky aftertaste, and a bitterness that lingers for far too long. Smooth and has some decent transitions. The carbonation however falls a bit flat at the half way point, which is disappointing.

Drinkability: I dunno, even for a standard stout it seems just a bit too roasted for my tastes. The sweeter elements seem out of place here, and really the only thing they serve to do is poorly reign in the overwhelming burnt malt. Refreshing I suppose, but it's just not as good as I'd expect it to be.

Final Thoughts: I was really expecting more of a vanilla flavor/scent to this offering. I was also expecting this stout to fall more on the sweeter side. After having it, it seems to suffer from an identity crisis. It's not sure if it should be a sweet stout or a stronger double stout. This is certainly no Peche Mortel, and frankly I am surprised it is in the Canadian top 10.

TheHammer, May 10, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

Notches on the 2 and 7.5, whatever date that means. Tulip glass.

Pours a very dark coffee brown with a greyish dark brown head which dissipates rather quickly to a ring. Not much lacing. Smells like nicely melded dark chocolate, coffee, and a soupcon of vanilla, and some roastiness. Taste is weak vanilla on the forefront and some cola and cocoa nibs, kind of thin in a way that really detracts from my enjoyment. Medium carbonation which has a cola-like synthetic feel, and the thin mouthfeel is really lacking. Overall, this was a disappointment from an otherwise great brewery. I would pass in the future.

pmarlowe, Sep 13, 2011
3.21/5  rDev -23.8%

From Camperdown cellars. Bottled 12/11.

Pours black. Aggressive pour yields barely one finger head that fizzes and dies. Little film. No lace.

Aromas are of bitter coffee, and vanilla essence.

Taste is somewhat harsh and disjointed. Vanilla yes, cocoa yes, but not as one by any means.

Mouthfeel medium weight and lightly carbonated. Have to say almost watery for the ABV.

Overall a disappointment given ratings here. Not up to par, due to disintegrated nature.

heygeebee, Feb 23, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into a glass mug.

A- Poured very dark. One finger of reddish brown head. Head faded quickly into a thin skin of foam. Some lacing. Not much.

S- Smells sweet. Vanilla and coco like the label says. Not much else going on.

T- Very sweet. Almost too sweet. Strong vanilla. Too sweet for me. Not much depth in this beer.

M- Pretty light. If this beer wasn't so sweet, it would go down fast.

D- I'm glad I only bought one. I'm not a fan of sweet beer, although I can kind of see what the were going for with this. Some people may be into this beer, but personally, I will not buy this tastes like it came from starbucks. I won't buy it again.

H1N1, Aug 21, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Black with thin tan head.

S: Coffee, vanilla and hot coco.

T: Espresso, bitter dark chocolate. Slightly tart finish. Unfortunately, the vanilla is barely coming through for me.

M: Slightly creamy upfront with a light carbonation.

O: I was really looking forward to trying this, but overall I'm disappointed.

monitorpop, Sep 15, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Pours a deep black with a fairly-nice brown head.

S: A little bit of chocolate, but mostly overcome by a faint smell of fake vanilla.

T: Roasted malt and chocolate, but even more so than the nose, this one was just dominated by a vanilla extract type flavor. Didn't taste at all like other beers with vanilla-bean aging.

M: Good and creamy. Low carbonation.

D: Too fake to be that great. I was really excited to try this and it was quite the letdown.

Thorpe429, May 07, 2010