Aphrodisiaque - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

AphrodisiaqueAphrodisiaque

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Also known as Aphrodite or Aphrodisiac in the USA.

(Cacao Et A La Vanille)

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003)

FirstBrewsoon, Jan 15, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

ygtbsm94, Jan 13, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad.

The beer is dark brown with a thick, beige head. Big blast of vanilla, chocolate. Smells like a sweet hot chocolate. A lactic presence in there as well. Very nice flavor, with prominent vanilla throughout. Like drinking milky hot chocolate. I would like more roast presence. Medium bodied with lingering sweetness. Overall, tasty beer that I would definitely have again.

Huhzubendah, Jan 13, 2012

rjacobs6, Jan 13, 2012

irishkyle21, Jan 13, 2012

imperialking, Jan 09, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle with my favorite label to date, love the artwork on the labels out of Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Bottle says "Aphrodite", so, like the last reviewer, I dont know how old this one is. It is marked 2-7 on the side, but I have no clue what that means.

Pours jet black & a dark khaki head sits atop, but sinks quick. Descent amount of lacing slides down the glass with each sip. Smell is kind of muted here in my opinion. I was expecting way more from this one but I do get a little of the ingredients - light java, sweet milk chocolates, a touch of vanilla, and a very sweet caramel apple like quality. Right off the bat, I feel the body is a bit thin for my taste in stouts, but it does go down smooth & creamy. Carbonation isnt quite there either & taste follows the nose but muted as well. I get more coffee quality out on the tongue - but I am thinking this is an old bottle & is not even close to a fresh bottle.

I'm going to try & get a fresh bottle via trade soon & re-review then, as I dont think this review does justice to the brew.

hoptualBrew, Jan 04, 2012

CORKSCREWFISH, Dec 31, 2011

carbonhaze74, Dec 30, 2011

BierBliss, Dec 27, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -26.8%

Interesting. My bottle says "Aphrodite" on it, yet I could find no information regarding a name change, and surprisingly, it wasn't even listed as an alias. I wonder how old this bottle is.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Founders tulip. Beer pours a jet black shade with an extremely thin layer of what can best be simply described as a layer of carbonation. Whatever it is, it definitely does not constitute a "head" or a "crown". The layer is very bubbly, effervescent, and fleeting. This beer has absolutely no legs whatsoever. It doesn't cling to the glass even a little. The nose is very disappointing. There almost isn't one. The bottle's label mentions cocoa and vanilla beans. I don't detect either. Just some faded coffee. The taste is marginally better than the nose, in that I can actually get a grasp of the coffee element. It's not bold by any means, but it's there. Not a lot else going on. The mouthfeel simply isn't what I'd expect from this. It's thin, and despite the visual lack of carbonation on the pour, manages to give off a very tingly feel. On second thought, it's just astringent. This doesn't coat the mouth, and just leaves bitterness behind. I've got a feeling this is an older bottle. I wonder what it'd have been like fresh. I truly believe coffee beers are best enjoyed fresh, despite everyone's insatiable desire to cellar everything called a stout.

Retail1LO, Dec 25, 2011

groetman, Dec 25, 2011

StoutFest, Dec 24, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A - poured with a small head of dark tan foam that lingers indefinitely on to of the beer. The body is black and opaque.

S - dark chocolate and vanilla dominate with some coffee and nutty caramel in the background.

T - smooth coffee up front with nutty toffee and caramel coming out in the middle. Bittersweet chocolate and lots of vanilla wash over the palate in the finish and the sweetness lingers on the palate like a dessert.

M - medium thick body, moderately low carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - the underlying beer is obviously fairly complex, but the chocolate and vanilla completely dominate. This is a perfect desert beer and despite its sweetness it doesn't become cloying like so many other chocolate stouts do.

nickfl, Dec 23, 2011

Harkrank, Dec 23, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 341mL bottle into a pint glass. Dark brown with a one finger creamy head. Strong smell of cacao with a hint of vanilla. At first, the taste reminds me the bitterness of the cacao, then sweet notes of malt appear with a vanilla finish that complete perfectly the blend. Mouthfeel is excellent, but I would have appreciated a thicker body. Overall, this beer is absolutely amazing, very easy to drink and perfectly balanced! What a success!

duracell, Dec 20, 2011

EagleRare, Dec 19, 2011

jeff1973, Dec 17, 2011

Texasfan549, Dec 15, 2011

nmann08, Dec 14, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a deep coffee brown with 2 fingers of creamy cinnamon colored head. Slowly receded into a thin film... no lacing.

Great aromas of cocoa dominate the nose. I feel like I'm smelling a hot chocolate or the inside of a powdered packet of hot chocolate mix. Vanilla notes round out the smell, very well done.

Great cocoa taste upfront with vanilla bean and cream rounding it off. Basically it follows the nose...

Medium to light body with an abundant amount of carbonation. Goes down super easy with a semi sweet aftertaste.

Overall, this was a great bottle my fiance picked out on our trip to Chicago. I wish that this was available to me down here because it would be a staple in my fridge for sure. Great aroma and taste and easy to drink on top of that. The 6.5% is a nice touch as you could easily have a few of these.

dcloeren, Dec 14, 2011