Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

good

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Rye Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003)
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

341 ml served in a chilled glass..

Appearance - beer pours as a nice dark brown beer with a brown/white head. The head is about an inch and nice and foamy. Hard to tell the carbonation levels due to the colour of the beer. Some nice lacing occurring.

Smell - Rye is a leader in the smell of the beer with hints of coffee. I would say a slight hint of caramel and other spices too.

Taste - I found this beer to be very smooth upfront with a little bitterness on the end. I would say like the taste, the rye plays a strong role in the taste of this beer. I did not notice the caramel as much in the tasting.

Mouthfeel - Some added carbonation adds the the bitterness level of the beer. The strong rye presents comes fwd even more during the mouthfeel. I felt the aftertaste lingers a lot more as well, even leaves the throat feeling a little warm!

Drinkability - Not a beer i would go out and buy again but happy i tried. Very well made and has a solid tasting base.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Cloudy reddish-bronze coloured body with a nice finger and a half khaki coloured head. Thick foam laces the sides of the glass heavily when tipped. Looks good.

Smell is very malty. You can certainly smell the rye and to a (much) lesser degree, the peppercorns and a handful of other spices. There's also a nice sweet, brown-sugary, caramel aroma.

This seems to be quite malty all the way through. A touch of earthy hops towards the beginning, then sweet malts with the rye starting to show up toward the finish. Then, to my surprise, the peppercorns really showed up! A few seconds after you swallow a sip, the unmistakable flavour of black pepper strikes your palate. Not so much that it is offensive, but just enough to be readily identified and make for a rather interesting beer, to say the least.

Mouthfeel seemed to be about average in regards to style and abv. Carbonation, too, seemed to be about where it should be to make for a lively brew, but not over doing it.

Certainly a very interesting and well crafted brew. I really enjoyed this one.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A: poured a reddish brown with brown highlights that had a very thin head and left very little lacing as well.

S: you can definitely smell some spice, rye, peppercorn, and brown sugar but also had some underlying caramel toffee in the background.

T: there was also spice notes in the taste but not as potent alongside, brown sugar, rye, earthy, and caramel accents but was also a little pepper spicey as well; very intresting.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a spice, sweet, spicy, and herby finish.

D: it drank good and liked how the peppercorn add some dimension to this rye style beer. I'm glad I picked this one up.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to korguy123 for this one. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours brownish/red with a small beige head. Decent lacing.

S: Some toffee/caramel, also a hint of coffee. The rye and peppercorns play a big role here. A little bit of chocolate as it warms.

T: Got a lot of the rye upfront and the spices/pepper on the back end. After a while got a slight burning sensation in the back of my throat.

M/D: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Slight burning sensation due to the spices. As it warmed I found myself liking it less. Overall it is a very interesting beer, glad to have to tried it. Not bad by any means, but not really for me.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours an amber brown with a thin off white head. Nose is fairly unique, bringing some mixed spice with rye, pepper, and others. Also present is a bt of fruit and mild caramel. Taste keeps the spicing at the front with some sweetness in back. Fairly dry. Drinkability is decent. Creative and somewhat unique. I liked this but wouldn't want to drink it frequently.

2.1/5  rDev -42.6%

this beer sounded like a good idea but the finished product doesnt quite work. i didnt get the pepper at first, then after a few sips it kicked it and was soon in high gear. my tongue was actually burning after a while. i dont gert any rye at all. the flavor seems off and is reminiscent of a maibock in a bad way. maybe this ones just not for me but im gonna have to say this beer needs some work.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (341 ml), tasted in 2010.

Appearance : amber color, with white foamy head (some lacing).
Smell : spicy and ginger aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : caramel malt, but heavy peppery flavour is very present in the finish !
Drinkability : an average beer in the style spice and vegetable (brewed with rye).

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

A- Poured very dark brown and quite cloudy. Very little head, but it did linger with a little lacing.

S- Very nice Rye smell with light roasted malts with a hint of Caramel. Also some Vanilla detectable, with the smell of some dried fruits. Can also detect the peppercorns in the back.

T- Heavy Rye taste with nice Caramel malts. The beer is quite sweet with the Caramel, Vanilla, and dried fruits coming through and blending very well with the rye. The peppercorns don't really come through until after you swallow the beer. They kick in with a wonderful spice that goes all over the mouth with a wonderful warming feeling.

D- Very delicious. the peppercorns were a welcome surprise when they kicked in, which brought a nice complexity to the sweet malts and the heavy Rye.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle pours a very dark red brown colour with a little amount of head. This tastes just like hot spices...wow. Makes your tongue tingle, thats for sure. That takes away from the drinkability, but its kinda cool that it could make your tongue tingle in that way. Very interesting beer though. Just the flavour isn't all that impressive.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a brownish red color with a small amount of tannish colored head that isn't there very long.

S: Not much else in the does but peppercorns. Black peppercorns and white peppercorns. A small amount of spice In the background.

T: Wow. This is like liquid pepper. Pretty tasty though. A tiny amount of rye spice but mostly nothing but pepper.

M: Medium bodied. Good carbonation. The pepper/spice
make the finish a bit "hot".

Overall: Ive heard so pretty bad reviews about this beer. Is it a verygood beer? No. Is it drinkable and unique? Yes. This beer would be kicked up a few notches paired with a nice steak or roastbeef dinner. I'm not much into food pAirings but this beer just screams Steak!

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Part five of the Dieu Du Ciel feature at the LCBO.

Pours a dark amber, medium bodied and hazy in colour. Very little head to speak of. Looks like it has good carbonation.
The nose is overly spicy, hints of malts. The peppercorn stands out the most.
The taste is well balanced. The spices linger a bit into a strong aftertaste. The experience of a rye beer is a first for me and I find it good, having said that it isn't standing out too much as an amazing style. The peppercorn flavour comes through strongly.
Medium-bodied mouthfeel, feels a bit coarse.
Overall this was an interesting beer, excited to see this brewery experimenting with flavours & styles. However I dont see any returnability to the Route des Epices...

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottled on 07/2010

A- Murky brown pour, thin white ring for a head, lacing is phenomenal.

S- Fresh baked biscuits, cloves, cane sugar, the pepper is starting to tickle my nose.

T- Huge pepper tastes ravage my tongue, biscuit malts, and subtle yeast. I have to admit, that I've always hated pepper, still do, but this isn't too bad!

M- Quite smooth, the pepper leaves spices in your mouth the more you drink, making your cheeks and tongue tingle the more you sip.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Pours a clear amber with a smallish head of foam.

S - Kind of a muted spicy aroma. Maybe this one needs to be quite warm?

T - A bit of caramel and definitely spiciness that sticks around. Hops are there, but kind of generic in their bitterness.

D - The beer sans pepper a bit generic but the peppery bite is very interesting. I'd be interested in trying this at various temperatures and carbonation levels.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A very nice dark rye ale. Amber, deep red in color. A thin layer of white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

A sweet smell that bites you with peppercorn and spices right at the end, almost like cinnamon.

Lots of peppercorn in the aftertaste. It's not a burn, it's a tickle. It's hot. I'm feeling the heat. When you exhale you can feel it, like hot wings! Would also go quite well with a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. It's a steaky beer that would be excellent for all kinds of food pairing.

Nice carbonation. Not too bitter. Spicy, meaty, overall very pleasant mouthfeel.

Could definitely drink a couple of these at a nice steak dinner, just not on the regular.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a dark chestnut brown, with a think white head, some lacing.

Smells of pepper and various spices, sweet caramel malts, somewhat nutty. Not a very interesting aroma.

Tastes nutty and malty upfront with a nice spicy bite too finish it off. Very interesting, not sure if I like it though, somewhat bland if a bit too spicey.

Thin carbonated mouthfeel, not very drinkable a bit too spicey.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

11.5 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark red with a mild off-white head, solid retention.

S: Definite pepper smell (did someone slip Cornas in my beer?), grassy herbal notes and nice malt character.

T: Dark Belgian style malt with lot of pepper flavour which I really enjoyed, spicy and delicious.

M: Medium-bodied, easy spicy aftertaste, smooth light carbonation.

D: As for the pepper beers that I have had, this one is definitely the most overt. Nice brew.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

EDIT: May have had a newer version of this. Mine had an ABV of 5.3%.

A- Semi-translucent chestnut brown. Low carbonation. Minimal head.

S- Pepper, pepper, pepper. Some malty sweetness beyond that. Quite strong. Wasn't all to pleasant for me, but interesting to say the least.

T- This was the first beer of this style for me to try, and I have to say that I was worried about the taste. After my first sip, I found it to be far more smooth than the smell would indicate. Initially you get a slight sweetness which is tamed by the spicing. After my first sip, I noticed a little bit of pepper taste left on my tongue. After a couple more, I found that it kept stacking and stacking on top of itself. Leaves you with an intense aftertaste/afterfeel. Once you're done your sip, the sweetness takes off for the most part, and you're left with a spice coated tongue.

Some hops are noticable in this one, but I suspect they're only to balance out the hot peppery sweetness.

M- Leaves a somewhat dry finish soon after each and every sip. Slightly sticky. Light to medium body and a feel of robust carbonation which actually comes from the spicing. Very smooth however.

D- This beer is good on drinkability if, and only if, you take your time and drink it slowly. The spices add up if you don't take your time with this one.

I think it would be quite interesting to try having this beer with food, rather than as a standalone drink. I think I could come to get quite used to this one, but my first is a bit more than I expected.

I also find that the sweetness improves as it warms up, which made it more pleasant for me. I would recommend drinking this at cellar temp.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Medium brown body with fiery red highlights. Tan foam laces a little bit but doesn't retain well. A faint rye bread aroma is trapped beneath intensely aromatic cracked peppercorn. Heavy peppercorn flavour withthe tangy rye really only coming through as it warms up. Smooth mouthfeel contrasts with the peppers tingling spiciness. I think I would have liked this a bit better if it had some of the weizen-like esters and phenol I caught in the Mill Street Schleimhammer Roggenbier. Perhaps the failure lies in my expectations, but for me, this is a good beer that could have been great.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Bottle from the LCBO. Bottled July 2010.

A: A sort of mahogany colored beer with not much going on for a head or lacing. I really wish appearance wasn't worth %20.

S: Wow. first thing you smell - and I think because its not a normal beer smell, is the pepper. Its not enough to make you sneeze, but it reminds me of smelling one of those little pepper packets. Very unique.

T: As other reviewers wrote; the pepper burn really builds up... Sort of like a good Indian curry. Aside from the pepper, there is a taste of the rye, and some fruit. hops seems to be present but mostly concealed by the spice.

M: Mouth feel is spicy of course. slightly dry, but a little sticky on the lips.

D: Well this is an interesting and unique beer, but unfortunately not the most pleasant one to get through. A curious and gimicky beer.... however - it is well executed.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

This one has a unique head that is slightly darker where it meets the body and is lighter at the top. It smells of pepper, cinnamon and roasted malt (Shreddies?). If they put a pumpkin on the label and called a pumpkin spiced beer it would be one of the better of that sort I have had. It has a cumulative pepper effect which I like but for those who are adverse to such spice " Beware!"

3.88/5  rDev +6%

I do like a good Rye beer -- and one brewed with peppercorns? Well that just sets off my novelty alarm. Let's go.

Pours a pleasant deep red-brown colour, with a coarse-bubbled head of off-white foam that almost has a greenish tinge to it. Lacing is a bit foamy and loose. Body looks pretty solid and heavy for a 5% beer. Pretty decent all up.

Yup, there's pepper all over the nose, freshly cracked corns of spice, overlaid on a rather sweet smelling malt-base. Certainly not much in the way of rye, although I generally find rye giving a slightly peppery overtone to the aroma of beers in any case. It's very pleasant -- the pepper, while obvious, is a nice touch.

Taste is pleasantly done. Here, the hops come forward to add a pleasant bitterness which mingles almost indistinguishably with the pepper character. Perhaps a hint of rye astringency comes forward too. Finish is very light and dry, just leaving the prickly pepper residuals to dance across the back. Quite a sharp ending, and the more you drink, the more pepper spice builds up on the back of the throat.

Still, it is as I expected, a very interesting brew, and one which is surprisingly approachable. The bite of the pepper becomes a bit much after a while, but it's quite the unique brew. Certainly something to look out for if you're after something a bit different.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

And now for something completely different...

Picked up at the Uptown Waterloo LCBO as part of their recent DDC release set. (Why wasn't Peche part of the mix? Grrr...)

Poured into a Duvel chalice because, not knowing what kind of glassware best accentuates a peppercorn beer, I stuck with my default. A rust-copper brew, chestnut when out of the light. Not much head, just some patchy streaks of lace and a few islands of foam. Not the most attractive beer, kind of looks like a limp dubbel.

The nose is caramel malts, with only the finest hint of nutmeg, cinnamon and peppercorn to be had. Remarkably deceptive.

The peppercorn taste is not entirely unlike a ninja. You don't even know it's there at first, with the less potent notes of malt, caramel and fruit providing a distraction, until POW! It hits you with a shuriken in the darkness, knocking you over! The finish is an unmistakable peppery explosion, which to me is comprised not so much of 'peppercorns', but rather 'table pepper.' The finish is incredibly bitter, spicy, lingering, and provides my esophagus with a thorough wakeup call. There might be other spices in here, but pepper really steals the show. I can't say I'm really enjoying it, but neither can I say I'm not fascinated with it.

One of the more intriguing beer experiences I've ever had. Credit to DDC for making a brew that challenges my beer perceptions by giving me something totally new. Is it a beer I'm likely to get again? Probably not; in fact, I doubt I could finish more than one bottle. Still, kudos to the brewmaster for making such a unique product.

Definitely worth trying!

2.03/5  rDev -44.5%

A - This meets the definition of crayola brown. Minimal carbonation and minimal head.

S - Pepper. Pure pepper. Slight malt too. I sure as hell don't pick up any rye.

T - Malt up front then smack with pepper that doesn't go away. It lingers for literally five minutes. Pepper all the way.

M - Medium body with minimal carbonation. Feels nice.

D - Woah, no way. Just give me the pepper shaker instead. I respect the effort but damn, this is too peppery for me.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear chestnut color with a huge head that leaves clumps of foam on the side of the pint glass

Smell: Caramel malt and rye, with an astingent, burning sensation from the peppercorns

Taste: A bit of caramel malt, up front, with the spicy rye and peppercorn flavors taking over by mid-palate; after the swallow, the hot peppercorn sensation overwhelms the flavor profile

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation and a prickly, hot sensation that lingers across the tongue

Drinkability: Clearly a controversial and extreme brew; I can see why some like it but it doesn't do the trick for me

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Nice thick off white head with great retention. Cloudy red amber color with little visible carbonation. Malty, slightly sweet aroma. Malty, slightly sweet up front with no noticeable rye flavor. Medium bodied through the middle. Finish is similar to start except a peppery burn that builds to a mild intensity. Couldn't tell this was a rye beer, struck me more as a malty pale ale (with the exception of the pepper).

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel