Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

good

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Rye Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003)
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Socialiste, Jul 10, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +23%

lgmol, Feb 24, 2013

discharmingly, Dec 04, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Pepper is one of my least favourite spices but I tried to be as objective as i could here. This is a copper beer that looks amber in a bright light. The head was more of a puff that stuck to one side of the glass, carbonation not impressive. Nose is more coriander than anything else, pepper rubbed into a fresh steak. Strong pepper taste and throat burn not my favourite sensation, the rye is pronounced and slightly sweeter malts make it drinkable. I would have thought this much higher than 5 per cent ABV, again it must be the rye impressions and association. Dry, solid backbone, just not something I'd want to drink again, count me as not converted to peppercorns in my beer. But leave it to an excellent, creative and inventive brewery to put this out there, thanks Dieu Du Ciel!

ThatWineGuy, Jan 13, 2011

csiewert, Nov 17, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

A - This beer poured brownish red color which produced a small white head that had some retention and left a decent amount of lacing in the glass

S - The aromas, or should I say aroma, that I detect from this beer is peppercorn, maybe some of the green and some of the black, but wow, it is just pepper

T - The taste of this beer is like my Peche Mortal Anti-Christ, lots and lots of peppercorns, no restraint was given to the amount of peppercorns dumped in this brew

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had light to moderate body with a slight amount of carbonation

D - This beer really was a miss for one of my favorite breweries, if you like the idea of peppercorn infused beer, give this a try, but a huge disappointment seeing how much I love Rye Ales

cvfish, Jan 28, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

Thanks to raider for getting his dad to bring this back from la belle province...

A half finger sudsy off white head formed on a somewhat aggressive pour into my pint glass, and broke down to leave a very thin collar. Pretty clear, chestnut in hue ale. Mildly carbonated.

Pretty light on the nose, a hint of spicy grain from the rye as well as nutty malts. A nice floral presence from the hops and a hint of peppery spice.

Wow, either my nose isnt working very well today or this brew hides its flavour well. Nice combo of rye and lightly roasted malts give this brew a solid malt/grain backbone, and a tasty one too as described above. The rye is more apparent upon tasting than smelling. Big peppery kick almost provides some heat, and goes really nicely with the slightly spicy and earthy rye grain. I love my rye beers, and this one does not disappoint, and its nice to see one with something other than a big dose of hops to provide complimentary yet contrasting flavours.

Almost medium bodied. Nicely balanced between the grains, earthy and slightly floral hops, and a big pepper kick. As a fan of fresh ground pepper im getting into this. If you don't like pepper its probably best to avoid this one. Light yet persistent carbonation works well with the peppery kick.

Was this beer brewed to go along with a smoked meat sandwich on rye? It would make a great pairing. Anyways this is pretty drinkable, although perhaps too bold due to the pronounced peppery flavours for sessioning. Highly recommended to fans of rye beers as well as pepper. If readily available this would be something that i would keep in a regular rotation.

demcorhip, Oct 10, 2008

GoHabsGo, Jun 16, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -39.9%

341ml bottle from the Richmond & Fanshawe LCBO. Part of the Dieu du Ciel! Brewery Feature Release. Pours a deep copper orange with ruby hues, a thick off-white ring, and speckles of lacing on the nonic. Smell and taste are faint cocoa and vanilla, touch of cinnamon, dried fruit, a HUGE black pepper spiciness, some caramel and mocha undertones, slight bitterness, and a very hot and astringent finish. Rye aromas develop as the beer warms. A big blast of peppery heat lingers in the throat for quite some time, and I find it a little overwhelming, even unpleasant. Mouthfeel is dry, grainy, medium, spicy and peppery body, bitter and tingling astringency to end. This is a struggle to get through. I respect the fact that DDC has used an innovative, experimental recipe here, but for me it's just not an enjoyable beer. Now, what to do with these last two bottles?

cratez, Sep 02, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -24%

This has to be - without a doubt - the first beer I've had from the state of Quebec (the people otherwise known as "those poutine-eating surrender monkeys") and for my first Québécois brew I picked something close to my tongue/heart - rye beer, why? I love rye is why. Brewed with peppercorns as well? Sounds brilliant, let's do this!

Poured from a 341ml (what an odd size for a) bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: Presents a cloudy light brown/rust body with a tan ring of lace.

S: Interesting, I'm not detecting any peppercorns, there is a chocolate, ginger and sweet malt fragrance, not much else. Here's hoping there is a bit more going on in the taste department.

T: Flavour is a tad disappointing - tastes like a watered down ginger beer, was expecting a bit more than that. Some mid palate caramel malt sweetness only adds to the whole "ginger beer" illusion. There is a light spicy hop bitter finish but otherwise this is one big glass full of dismay.

M: Light bodied, a lot more watery than expected with a light carbonation.

D: Usually when you add ingredients to a beer it adds to the flavour profile, in this case the rye content is decidedly weak and in the immortal words of Simpson's character Rainier Wolfcastle: "Ze peppercorns, zay do nothing" [that's not the actual quote in case you were going to call BS on me]. So many missed opportunities with this dimensionless, sad ginger beer tasting brew that my suggestion to Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel (if indeed they do read my reviews which they probably don't) would be to go back to the drawing (brewing) board and add more rye, lots more rye, right? Ryeght.

Food match: The gingerness of this brew made me think of dishes with ginger such as the Burmese "Gyin Thot" and the Thai "Gai Pad King"... now I have ginger on the brain.

doktorhops, Jul 29, 2014

rale, Apr 30, 2013

nosavingsaccount, May 18, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

The beer poured from the bottle a deep, slightly cloudy amber brown, with a delicate foamy head that released a wonderful hop-laden scent. The glass was raised and the beer tasted. It was at first rich malt with a nice hop bite--a sort of wonderful bitterness--that lingered on the tongue... and got stronger and stronger until the "bite" turned to a burn that never ended. The pepper had kicked in. I love trying new things. And I really enjoyed this beer... until I realized I couldn't turn off the searing pain in my mouth and throat. A few swallows of a nice German dunkel finally stopped the pain. But I just can't see myself drinking this one again.

tugdriver7, Jul 01, 2008

nyrblue2, Jun 19, 2014

nquigley16, Nov 28, 2012

Carl_R, Aug 03, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a fantastic amber reddish brown. A darker amber at that. Poured initially with a one finger head that diminishes with some nice subtle lacing.

Smells of a nutty peppery wheat and caramel. There's a creamy chocolate in there as well.

Tastes of a creamy nutty character with some somewhat strong spice. There's some chocolate, toffee notes coming through as well. A bready biscuit flavor comes through to help mellow out the spice, nut, and chocolate/toffee/caramel/malt.

Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, somewhat light and sharp. A fair amount of carbonation that helps pull out it's rye spice flavor notes.

Overall, I am a huge fan of rye beers and this one didn't disappoint. I do plan on trying this again. From it's darker nutty notes from the darker grains used when brewing to it's spicy rye, it is an interesting beer to at least try.

lsummers, Apr 11, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle. Good looking beer. Nice clarity and brown amber colour. Two finger head. Aroma is faint sweetness. Taste- amber ale sweet malt initially and then spice kicks in. Pepper is very pronounced esp on the finish. It warms all the way down. Very unique! Couldn’t session this one, and I like pepper. Just too spicy. Glad to try once, but don’t think I could handle another for a while.

oakbluff, Oct 26, 2007

Krakpoff, May 09, 2013

jlindsey, Mar 20, 2013

ComRock12, Dec 10, 2012

JIMTRK16, Mar 18, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

EDIT: May have had a newer version of this. Mine had an ABV of 5.3%.

A- Semi-translucent chestnut brown. Low carbonation. Minimal head.

S- Pepper, pepper, pepper. Some malty sweetness beyond that. Quite strong. Wasn't all to pleasant for me, but interesting to say the least.

T- This was the first beer of this style for me to try, and I have to say that I was worried about the taste. After my first sip, I found it to be far more smooth than the smell would indicate. Initially you get a slight sweetness which is tamed by the spicing. After my first sip, I noticed a little bit of pepper taste left on my tongue. After a couple more, I found that it kept stacking and stacking on top of itself. Leaves you with an intense aftertaste/afterfeel. Once you're done your sip, the sweetness takes off for the most part, and you're left with a spice coated tongue.

Some hops are noticable in this one, but I suspect they're only to balance out the hot peppery sweetness.

M- Leaves a somewhat dry finish soon after each and every sip. Slightly sticky. Light to medium body and a feel of robust carbonation which actually comes from the spicing. Very smooth however.

D- This beer is good on drinkability if, and only if, you take your time and drink it slowly. The spices add up if you don't take your time with this one.

I think it would be quite interesting to try having this beer with food, rather than as a standalone drink. I think I could come to get quite used to this one, but my first is a bit more than I expected.

I also find that the sweetness improves as it warms up, which made it more pleasant for me. I would recommend drinking this at cellar temp.

BBP, Sep 21, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

341ml bottle
5.3% ABV

I tried this beer on May 18, 2012 at "C'est What" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a dark brown into the tulip glass with very little head. The aroma was sweet malt, grains, and molasses, with some floral hops. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with medium carbonation. the flavour was grains, pepper, molasses, and some berryish notes, followed by a bitter finish. the pepper notes, while non-existent in the aroma were very pronounced in the flavour.

cyrenaica, Jun 09, 2012