Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

good

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Rye Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003)

dipso123, Apr 20, 2013

Elfastball7, Dec 23, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3%

Nice hazy, reddish-brown colour. Pours a nice creamy head with good lacing.

I'm not picking up much smell here. A little bready, some roasted malt, a slight pepperiness but not as much as I was expecting in the smell.

Wow, this is really different. Up front it almost tastes like a regular ale; good amount of roasted malt, some grain (rye I suppose, though I wouldn't know) with a little hops. Huge taste of black pepper on the finish. This is actually quite spicy.

Mouthfeel is nothing special. Medium-bodied.

I wasn't sure if I'd like this and I'm still not sure if I do. It's strange drinking a spicy beer. Nice try at something unique but a spicy beer isn't something I find myself craving very often.

eat, Jun 03, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: snifter. hazy mahogany color, mostly brown with some red hues. Nice tan head with a rather nice retention level and moderate lacing.

S: some serious pepper aromas, more than any beer I have smelled. hints of rye malts followed by some fruit tones and some tobacco.

T: Wow! Tons of pepper in this, with a nice rye backbone. Not much else, but it seriously tastes like I just consumed freshly ground peppercorns. very interesting.

M: the pepper burns the back of the throat. High carbonation level. Huge peppery mouthfeel that lingers for a while.

D: such a unique flavor. Rye with pepper is different and enjoyable. One of these is all I can do though.

paulthebeerguru, Jul 23, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +23%

lgmol, Feb 24, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Sampled 09jul2004

A translucid amber ale, with very shy but fluffy head that somehow survived through most of the pint.
Most of the time I can't detect much odor at first from the pints I sample at DDC, because cigarette smoke totally screws with my nose. I have to drink at least 1/3 of it and really stick my nose and mouth in the pint in order to pick up anything.

But not this time.

If you want to know how this Beer smells, go to your kitchen right now, crack a few whole black pepercorns, rub them on your hands and place them underneath your nose and mouth. Incredible. I can barely believe a Beer can smell like this without grinding pepper in your glass before pouring it, so I stare down the bottom of my pint every time I have this to see if I can spot any pieces of pepper. Nope.

The pepery taste starts off mellow enough, and seems to gain a little steam, going from the tip of your tongue at first and spreading across your tongue after a few sips. It reaches a plateau when you're half way through your pint, and never gets to a level where non-spicy food lovers can't take it anymore. Unfortunately, the spicyness blocks out any other tastes.

I gave this Beer a slightly below average 2.5 for drinkability, because in most cases, half a pint is enough to satisfy your curiosity, and I'm pretty sure no one orders more than one pint of this per evening. However, in a different context, say in the dead of winter, or to complement Thai or Szechuan food, I'd gladly have more than one.

Goldorak, Jul 10, 2004
3.72/5  rDev +1.6%

kguard, Oct 07, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours a copper beer, attractive and clear. Topped with a tan head, which reduces slowly to a persistent, uniform layer.

S-As expected, I got a whiff of fresh black pepper corns. However, this aroma was not entirely dominant, just the most noticeable on first sniff. Aroma also included some chocolatey and cocoa smells.

T-As with the smell, the taste has a definite peppercorn spiciness and flavor, but it is not overwhelming. Once the initial pepper flavor subsided, some light chocolatiness built up much of the malt flavors. Some rye-malty flavors are also able to emerge. Overall, the pepper flavor hits immediately, fades to linger in the background, then comes through distinctly again in the finish, lingering for a while after swallowing.

M-Medium to medium-high carbonation. Medium-light body, this beer slides around easily in my mouth. The pepper character also provides somewhat of a tingle of peppery spiciness.

D-The great thing about this pepper beer, compared to some others I've sampled in the past, is that Route de espices does not overly molest my mouth with pepperiness. The pepper is present and distinct, at times very noticeable, but it didn't seem overbearing. Very good, and an enjoyable diversion from the norm.

CHSLBrew, Dec 11, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -24%

This has to be - without a doubt - the first beer I've had from the state of Quebec (the people otherwise known as "those poutine-eating surrender monkeys") and for my first Québécois brew I picked something close to my tongue/heart - rye beer, why? I love rye is why. Brewed with peppercorns as well? Sounds brilliant, let's do this!

Poured from a 341ml (what an odd size for a) bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: Presents a cloudy light brown/rust body with a tan ring of lace.

S: Interesting, I'm not detecting any peppercorns, there is a chocolate, ginger and sweet malt fragrance, not much else. Here's hoping there is a bit more going on in the taste department.

T: Flavour is a tad disappointing - tastes like a watered down ginger beer, was expecting a bit more than that. Some mid palate caramel malt sweetness only adds to the whole "ginger beer" illusion. There is a light spicy hop bitter finish but otherwise this is one big glass full of dismay.

M: Light bodied, a lot more watery than expected with a light carbonation.

D: Usually when you add ingredients to a beer it adds to the flavour profile, in this case the rye content is decidedly weak and in the immortal words of Simpson's character Rainier Wolfcastle: "Ze peppercorns, zay do nothing" [that's not the actual quote in case you were going to call BS on me]. So many missed opportunities with this dimensionless, sad ginger beer tasting brew that my suggestion to Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel (if indeed they do read my reviews which they probably don't) would be to go back to the drawing (brewing) board and add more rye, lots more rye, right? Ryeght.

Food match: The gingerness of this brew made me think of dishes with ginger such as the Burmese "Gyin Thot" and the Thai "Gai Pad King"... now I have ginger on the brain.

doktorhops, Jul 29, 2014

GoHabsGo, Jun 16, 2013

discharmingly, Dec 04, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Pepper is one of my least favourite spices but I tried to be as objective as i could here. This is a copper beer that looks amber in a bright light. The head was more of a puff that stuck to one side of the glass, carbonation not impressive. Nose is more coriander than anything else, pepper rubbed into a fresh steak. Strong pepper taste and throat burn not my favourite sensation, the rye is pronounced and slightly sweeter malts make it drinkable. I would have thought this much higher than 5 per cent ABV, again it must be the rye impressions and association. Dry, solid backbone, just not something I'd want to drink again, count me as not converted to peppercorns in my beer. But leave it to an excellent, creative and inventive brewery to put this out there, thanks Dieu Du Ciel!

ThatWineGuy, Jan 13, 2011

rale, Apr 30, 2013

Carl_R, Aug 03, 2014

csiewert, Nov 17, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

A - This beer poured brownish red color which produced a small white head that had some retention and left a decent amount of lacing in the glass

S - The aromas, or should I say aroma, that I detect from this beer is peppercorn, maybe some of the green and some of the black, but wow, it is just pepper

T - The taste of this beer is like my Peche Mortal Anti-Christ, lots and lots of peppercorns, no restraint was given to the amount of peppercorns dumped in this brew

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had light to moderate body with a slight amount of carbonation

D - This beer really was a miss for one of my favorite breweries, if you like the idea of peppercorn infused beer, give this a try, but a huge disappointment seeing how much I love Rye Ales

cvfish, Jan 28, 2009

Schmoog, Sep 29, 2014

nosavingsaccount, May 18, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to raider for getting his dad to bring this back from la belle province...

A half finger sudsy off white head formed on a somewhat aggressive pour into my pint glass, and broke down to leave a very thin collar. Pretty clear, chestnut in hue ale. Mildly carbonated.

Pretty light on the nose, a hint of spicy grain from the rye as well as nutty malts. A nice floral presence from the hops and a hint of peppery spice.

Wow, either my nose isnt working very well today or this brew hides its flavour well. Nice combo of rye and lightly roasted malts give this brew a solid malt/grain backbone, and a tasty one too as described above. The rye is more apparent upon tasting than smelling. Big peppery kick almost provides some heat, and goes really nicely with the slightly spicy and earthy rye grain. I love my rye beers, and this one does not disappoint, and its nice to see one with something other than a big dose of hops to provide complimentary yet contrasting flavours.

Almost medium bodied. Nicely balanced between the grains, earthy and slightly floral hops, and a big pepper kick. As a fan of fresh ground pepper im getting into this. If you don't like pepper its probably best to avoid this one. Light yet persistent carbonation works well with the peppery kick.

Was this beer brewed to go along with a smoked meat sandwich on rye? It would make a great pairing. Anyways this is pretty drinkable, although perhaps too bold due to the pronounced peppery flavours for sessioning. Highly recommended to fans of rye beers as well as pepper. If readily available this would be something that i would keep in a regular rotation.

demcorhip, Oct 10, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -39.9%

341ml bottle from the Richmond & Fanshawe LCBO. Part of the Dieu du Ciel! Brewery Feature Release. Pours a deep copper orange with ruby hues, a thick off-white ring, and speckles of lacing on the nonic. Smell and taste are faint cocoa and vanilla, touch of cinnamon, dried fruit, a HUGE black pepper spiciness, some caramel and mocha undertones, slight bitterness, and a very hot and astringent finish. Rye aromas develop as the beer warms. A big blast of peppery heat lingers in the throat for quite some time, and I find it a little overwhelming, even unpleasant. Mouthfeel is dry, grainy, medium, spicy and peppery body, bitter and tingling astringency to end. This is a struggle to get through. I respect the fact that DDC has used an innovative, experimental recipe here, but for me it's just not an enjoyable beer. Now, what to do with these last two bottles?

cratez, Sep 02, 2010

nyrblue2, Jun 19, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

The beer poured from the bottle a deep, slightly cloudy amber brown, with a delicate foamy head that released a wonderful hop-laden scent. The glass was raised and the beer tasted. It was at first rich malt with a nice hop bite--a sort of wonderful bitterness--that lingered on the tongue... and got stronger and stronger until the "bite" turned to a burn that never ended. The pepper had kicked in. I love trying new things. And I really enjoyed this beer... until I realized I couldn't turn off the searing pain in my mouth and throat. A few swallows of a nice German dunkel finally stopped the pain. But I just can't see myself drinking this one again.

tugdriver7, Jul 01, 2008