Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

good

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Rye Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 575 | Reviews: 367

woah. almost didn't review this one after reading the review before mine. enough said... "brown ale on drugs". black pepper, white pepper, caramel and earth. touch of hop in the finish, but the bitter and acid may be the peppercorn. sneaks up on ya. unique. one of a kind. well done. love this brewery.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Got a bottle of this from the Cloverleaf Tavern.

A: Pours a red-amber body with no real head to note, so no retention to note and very minimal lacing.

S: A fairly sweet, malty which was not too evident of the upcoming taste.

T: A kind of sweet taste with peppercorn evident in the taste an in the back of your throat on the swallow. The spiciness is quite evident and soon takes over the complexity of the beer overall, which was not too enjoyable. No earthiness or dryness came out from the rye, but there was definitely a pepper spiciness all over this beer.

M A fairly light mouthfeel that seemed a little on the watery side. Could have been a bit fuller.

D: Ok drinkability, but the peppercorn takes away from the beer a little bit. The pepper aspect does not seem to blend very well with the malts and takes away from the rye aspect of the beer. Ok, but nothing really impressive.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

Dieu Du Ciel Route des épices pours a finger of quickly-receding foam over a deep amber brew. Nose is sweetish malts, butterscotch, yeast funk, and peppercorn. The flavor is likewise spicy rye malt with notes of fruit and butterscotch, balanced by fresh ground peppercorn off the back. Mouthfeel is light and smooth, with the ground pepper adding some warmth in the aftertaste. Pepper seems to be taking the place of hops in this particular brew- very very interesting stuff!

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Pour was nice and loose large bubbled head. Nice lacing that lingered around the top of the pint glass.

S- The smell is very fragrant and hints of fruits.

T- The pepper is very present, this beer has a nice spice. The spice lingers on the tongue for quite a while. As you drink the beer the spice starts to overwhelm the palate and all you start to taste is just the pepper. I think this would go great with a nice steak or burger. Would this make a good beer to marinade meat with?

M- My mouth is starting to feel a bit on fire now that I have half the bottle gone. I think the spice is nice, but over time can be a bit too much.

D- Same as above. But I'm still thinking it would be good with steak.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Dark dingy brown (Lipton tea) with a decent beige head. Pretty unique, if not all that appealing a color. Clumpy foam is well-retained.

S: Earthy rye smell, with a little malted barley. I caught a few whiffs of green peppercorn at one point, but was unable to smell it later. Also smells a little sweet, like mrs. butterworth's syrup with spices. I would say this is closest in smell to certain winter warmers.

T: Wow, that's different. Some sweet caramel malt followed by a serious shot of peppercorns and herbal flavor. Plenty of malt to hold up to all that pepper. The finish is long and almost as intensely spicy as some chile beers, although there really isn't a burn.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated about right.

Very unique beer. I enjoy pepper/chile beers once in awhile, so this was up my alley. No way I'd be putting down more than one or two of these though unless there was some kind of juvenile bet on the table.

If you think the spice is overdone in this beer, I recommend Futhermore's Knot Stock as a more subtle option for a pepper beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours a hazed, red color, and is topped by a beige head that fades to a ring. The aroma is malty with notes of chocolate and caramel. There's a mild spiciness: pepper and an almost cinnamon character, and some herbal hops.

A chocolate, malty sweetness is first evident, which mellows and thins to a grassy and herbal hop finish with a strong peppery bite. This beer is full-bodied, and strongly carbonated with a hot finish.

This was a very tasty beer, but it's a bit spicy.

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a deep copper, brown under a big slightly off white head. Good retention, little lace.

S: Smells of malt, a bit of chocolate and caramel and a hint of peppercorn.

T: Sweet up front, malty, not really getting much in the way of caramel or chocolate like the smell. Peppercorn really comes through in the end. Spicy, hot. A little too much heat.

M/D: About an average mouthfeel. Drinkability is so-so. An interesting beer but just a little too much. Almost like a chille beer with the heat.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from 11.5 ounce bottle into Unibroue tulip. Head quickly fades and not much lacing to speak of. Sweet malts dominate the nose and maybe some coffee notes and sweet fruits. Not picking up the peppercorns in the nose, maybe they are dominated by the sweet aromas. Upon tasting, the spice is felt and tasted for sure on the back of the tongue after the swallow. Correction...actually I am picking up the peppercorn aromas as the beer warms...interesting. Taste is dominated by the sweet malts and the peppercorns on the back end, especially upon warming. A unique beer and a pleasant experience.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

This has to be - without a doubt - the first beer I've had from the state of Quebec (the people otherwise known as "those poutine-eating surrender monkeys") and for my first Québécois brew I picked something close to my tongue/heart - rye beer, why? I love rye is why. Brewed with peppercorns as well? Sounds brilliant, let's do this!

Poured from a 341ml (what an odd size for a) bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: Presents a cloudy light brown/rust body with a tan ring of lace.

S: Interesting, I'm not detecting any peppercorns, there is a chocolate, ginger and sweet malt fragrance, not much else. Here's hoping there is a bit more going on in the taste department.

T: Flavour is a tad disappointing - tastes like a watered down ginger beer, was expecting a bit more than that. Some mid palate caramel malt sweetness only adds to the whole "ginger beer" illusion. There is a light spicy hop bitter finish but otherwise this is one big glass full of dismay.

M: Light bodied, a lot more watery than expected with a light carbonation.

D: Usually when you add ingredients to a beer it adds to the flavour profile, in this case the rye content is decidedly weak and in the immortal words of Simpson's character Rainier Wolfcastle: "Ze peppercorns, zay do nothing" [that's not the actual quote in case you were going to call BS on me]. So many missed opportunities with this dimensionless, sad ginger beer tasting brew that my suggestion to Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel (if indeed they do read my reviews which they probably don't) would be to go back to the drawing (brewing) board and add more rye, lots more rye, right? Ryeght.

Food match: The gingerness of this brew made me think of dishes with ginger such as the Burmese "Gyin Thot" and the Thai "Gai Pad King"... now I have ginger on the brain.

2.71/5  rDev -26%

Pours a deep ruby with a two inch head with some serious staying power. Great lacing and retention.

Smells mildly sweet, with a hint of milk chocolate and fresh ground black pepper.

Taste is grainy, chocolatey, sweet juicy caramel malt with a slight white pepper, and starts off nice but the more I drink it the more I get hot peppers and hot peppers and more hot peppers and boy is it peppery. I like eating spicy food with a cold beer to cool me down, but I've never drank a beer before that made me wish I was drinking another beer with it just to cool me down until now.

As for drinkablilty, I like a lot of spicy foods that are traditionally spicy (wasabi is like crack to me, and I could eat a vindaloo for breakfast) but I don't like making food hot for the sake of making it hot (I can't stand hot peppers on a burger or spicy hummus, for instance) and this beer kind of falls into the latter category for me. It's heat that doesn't belong. Heat for heat's sake.

I can certainly see how this beer might appeal to pepperheads who like their mouth to burn like molten lava no matter what they consume, because, underneath the heat are some really nice malt flavors. Too bad the pepper all but completely stomps them out.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Dieu du Ciel! Route des Epices poured a reddish brown in color with a small off-white head that showed little retention.

The aroma was earthy with dark fruit.

The taste does smack of peppercorn, or should I have said burns of peppercorn. Well, it has some heat all right, but it's not bad; you can still taste some of the malt sweetness, any caramel flavor is covered though.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with sufficient carbonation.

Drinkability was fair, the ABV is OK, but the strong pepper flavor and high price conspire against having another.

A good beer with interesting flavor but not nearly up to Dieu du Ciel's standards or justified in cost.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

Woah.

Slightly hazy orange amber with a fizzy head of light tan. Smells fruity with very light caramel sweetness and toasted grains with rye and distinct peppercorn. Tart aspects of dark fruit in the flavor, with some toasted grains and spicy rye. Lots of fresh green and black pepper spiciness. Unspectacular medium body. Very unique, and probably enjoyable for some. I however found the pepper a bit overwhelming.

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%

Nice hazy, reddish-brown colour. Pours a nice creamy head with good lacing.

I'm not picking up much smell here. A little bready, some roasted malt, a slight pepperiness but not as much as I was expecting in the smell.

Wow, this is really different. Up front it almost tastes like a regular ale; good amount of roasted malt, some grain (rye I suppose, though I wouldn't know) with a little hops. Huge taste of black pepper on the finish. This is actually quite spicy.

Mouthfeel is nothing special. Medium-bodied.

I wasn't sure if I'd like this and I'm still not sure if I do. It's strange drinking a spicy beer. Nice try at something unique but a spicy beer isn't something I find myself craving very often.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: snifter. hazy mahogany color, mostly brown with some red hues. Nice tan head with a rather nice retention level and moderate lacing.

S: some serious pepper aromas, more than any beer I have smelled. hints of rye malts followed by some fruit tones and some tobacco.

T: Wow! Tons of pepper in this, with a nice rye backbone. Not much else, but it seriously tastes like I just consumed freshly ground peppercorns. very interesting.

M: the pepper burns the back of the throat. High carbonation level. Huge peppery mouthfeel that lingers for a while.

D: such a unique flavor. Rye with pepper is different and enjoyable. One of these is all I can do though.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap in a stemmed tulip glass.

A-Dark amber-reddish brown color with a big, lasting head that leaves lots of lacing. This brew certainly appealed to my eye.

S- Strong peppery spice out of the box. Then come the bready malt and rich chocolatey aromas as it warms.

T- Some caramel and strong chololate along with pungent black peppery spice.

M- It has body and carbonation, is long lasting and not sweet. The deal breaker is the overpowering pepper, it lines the throat and increases in strength as I drink.

O- I enjoy pepper in general and peppery-spiced beers ( like rye porters), this beer is simply too peppery strong for my tastes, thus keeping the feel and taste ratings in check.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel