Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

good

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Rye Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 06-10-2003

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appears a semi-transparent, deep crimson toned amber with a luscious, 3 finger, light tan head that simply doesn't want to fade away...it just floats there like the head of a frothy rootbeer. Solid streams of lacing quickly rise to the top of the glass. Massive amounts of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of rich caramel, cinnamon, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Taste is very spicy with a mix of peppers, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. There's a burning sensation on the lips and in the back of the throat that makes me feel like I've just eaten some Atomic Hot Wings without any blue cheese to cool it off. Ouch. The mild hint of caramel that was there is buried way in the background due to this pepper blast brew.
The mouthfeel is...Burning! It's medium bodied, and smooth aside from the annoying burn that is becoming quite overkill at this point. It's like torture at points to bring it back to my lips.
Jesus...it's just too much. It started out alright until my mouth became numb. If there was that caramel sweetness in the beginning, it's way overtaken by the ocean of peppers that it becomes.
If you enjoy very spicy Asian, or Indian food, try pairing this with those foods. Otherwise, prepare yourself for the burning sensation. I couldn't even finish the whole bottle. I can't believe I paid 8 bucks for that!

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured slowly into Corsendonk Goblet.

Hardly any head on this beer. Color reminds me a quad. A dark caramelized brown. Doesn't leave a lot of lace.

Aroma: I can definitely get the rye and peppercorn out of the smell. Chocolate, caramel, dark dried fruits. A lot of the flavors the bottle has listed. Very helpful label.

Taste: Wow. the peppercorn is very present here. Chocolate, caramel, dark dried fruits, plums. A lot of matching flavors from the smell. A very spicy beer.

Mouthfeel: Very spicy. Wow, this is interesting. I have never had a beer like this. It is like putting dried peppers on my tongue. Medium-full bodied. Pretty good level of carbonation.

Overall, this is an interesting beer. I like the spices, but it is kind of giving me a headache. It isn't bad, just nothing I'd drink a lot of in a night. Give it a try if you like spicy peppers.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to korguy123 for this one. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours brownish/red with a small beige head. Decent lacing.

S: Some toffee/caramel, also a hint of coffee. The rye and peppercorns play a big role here. A little bit of chocolate as it warms.

T: Got a lot of the rye upfront and the spices/pepper on the back end. After a while got a slight burning sensation in the back of my throat.

M/D: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Slight burning sensation due to the spices. As it warmed I found myself liking it less. Overall it is a very interesting beer, glad to have to tried it. Not bad by any means, but not really for me.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Pours a reddish amber with a nice initial head that fades to a swirly cap. Smells somewhat fruity and with a bit of grain and a dry malt background, but quite light. The taste is far more bold and interesting! I really like this beer. Big cherry fruit flavors, some nice rye fruity/spiciness, and big, big clean tasting peppercorn flavors. The fruitiness of the peppercorns has really been preserved, and although this has a definite pepper kick, it is not all heat but lovely fruity and herbal peppercorn flavors that keep this going. A nice aged soft cheese would be lovely with this, the flavors would cut right through the cheese unctuousness. Smooth in the mouth with a very spicy finish. Very, very powerful, and best with food, Can't drink more than one of these.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

I do like a good Rye beer -- and one brewed with peppercorns? Well that just sets off my novelty alarm. Let's go.

Pours a pleasant deep red-brown colour, with a coarse-bubbled head of off-white foam that almost has a greenish tinge to it. Lacing is a bit foamy and loose. Body looks pretty solid and heavy for a 5% beer. Pretty decent all up.

Yup, there's pepper all over the nose, freshly cracked corns of spice, overlaid on a rather sweet smelling malt-base. Certainly not much in the way of rye, although I generally find rye giving a slightly peppery overtone to the aroma of beers in any case. It's very pleasant -- the pepper, while obvious, is a nice touch.

Taste is pleasantly done. Here, the hops come forward to add a pleasant bitterness which mingles almost indistinguishably with the pepper character. Perhaps a hint of rye astringency comes forward too. Finish is very light and dry, just leaving the prickly pepper residuals to dance across the back. Quite a sharp ending, and the more you drink, the more pepper spice builds up on the back of the throat.

Still, it is as I expected, a very interesting brew, and one which is surprisingly approachable. The bite of the pepper becomes a bit much after a while, but it's quite the unique brew. Certainly something to look out for if you're after something a bit different.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Shared a bottle with a friend. The body is a clear, darker amber with a short, white head.

Man, this beer is all about peppercorns. I can tell there's a bit of rye and hops in the background, but it mostly just a big pepper flavor and aroma. It's a good taste, but there's just way too much of it. Call this a pepper beer, it just happens to have rye in it.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%

More Dieu du Ciel has arrived, and this is the one with peppercorns. I'll drink it with dinner tonight. On to the beer:

A hard pour develops a chestnut brown color with reddish hues. The head whips spots of lace to the glass. I don't smell a lot from either the empty bottle or the glass that the beer currently sits in. It has a little rye base and caramel to it, but overall very low powered.

What did the taste come from? After a weak nose, this tastes like a beer with a greater alcohol than on the label. There's a strong caramel-like sweetness from the malt, and whoa there, there's the peppercorn really spicing things up, though not overdone. Maybe it works for me because I like pepper. The beer feels fat and chewy in the mouth, something I like, and pleasant pepper and heat linger in the aftertaste.

Strange beer, but I dig it. This might be a fun beer to drink with spicy food, so this will likely get another try in the future.

2.32/5  rDev -36.6%

This was speaking to me (and by the beer man in the store) as a spice, peppercorn hinted beer. It was far from it.

This beer was not good in my opinion. It was flat and had no hints of spice whatsoever. Sweet and stale caramel dominate the palate. Syrupy finish didn't leave me wanting another, or even finish the 11oz bottle. I choked down a half pint a went for another beer.

This was just very average and had no spice, which is the reason I bought it.

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

A 12 oz bottle picked up at Capone's a long time ago.

A: The ale is a red ale, amber to orange in reality. A thick head erupted on pour, overflowing the glass. Lots of lace.

S: The nose is pepper and not just a little bit. We're talking freshly ground peppercorns. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't taken a sip of the overflowing head.

T: Sometimes the term hot is used to describe a very hoppy ale. That term appears to be blatantly misused after the first sip of this beer. Freshly ground black peppercorns make this ale hot, lively and biting on the tongue. Each sip reignites the heat. Bready rye appears on the back end of a sip, but only if you look for it. I just can't get over the pepper. This ale is almost too hot to rationally enjoy.

M: You better like fresh pepper! My tongue burns for a few minutes after each sip.

D: One and done. Too much heat for me.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real tiny bubbled and creamy off tan head is made through the pour. It forms very creamy like. Body is a dark amber red and somewhat clear. Real nice color and great head formation. Some real nice lacing of claw like.clumps while always keeping a solid puck. Just lovely.

Nose is green peppercorn sense kind of soft with a good malt backbone. Pepper at first pour is not as strong or noticeable, but after sitting it clearly dominates.

Wonderful spice finish and pepper in the palate. At first it seems like that is all there is to this beer as the pepper lingers constantly after the swallow. Slowly though the malt creeps in with sweetness and baked bread. Body though is a little wet just a bit watery.

This is a great combination and use of rye with pepper. This is a hot beer but tolerable without an alcohol burn. I really like this it is soa far thefor best example of pepper dominance in a beer that I really enjoyed.

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer is crystal clear with a slightly dense deep auburn colored body and a thick creamy head of light beige that sticks to the glass and is supported by big bubbles of carbonation.

S- The smell of caramel and dry toast have a faint earthy hint when they warm a bit.

T- The taste of dry malt with a biscuit malt and dry toast hint give way to a chocolate malt hint. There is also some coffee malt notes that come through the chocolate malt as the beer warms. The finish is a big spicy herbal green peppercorn note that lingers on the lips as a burning sensation.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a peppercorn heat that burns the lips softly after each sip, but no alcohol heat.

D- The subtle depth of the malt is a bit overpowered by the peppercorn heat, and I could actually feel myself exhale peppercorn breath. This was interesting and not really offensive but it needed some support. I think this would be a great beer to match with a big juicy steak.

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a five finger cream head that fades slowly leaving a very good lace. Almost clear amber color. Spicy, hoppy nose. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is spicy, peppery with some malt, lingering pepper finish. $5.75 for a 11.5oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to jtd1969 for bringing this to the tasting.

A - dark amber with a soft, white layer of head

S - bread, pie crust, apples, faint sugar

T - bread, sweet, spicy, peppery, rye, faint citrus

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is an enjoyable, complex, smooth offering with great drinkability. I'll definitely have this again.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to gford217 for this brew.

Pours a nice golden brown color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy/foamy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some spice notes. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, peppery, slightly bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew, but would not seek out again.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Route Des Épices looks like it might have a little spice to it; a fiery amber lining kindles under and runs up the sides of the glass while an uncanny Tabasco coloured liquid sits between them. It's not exactly pretty and I can't think of anybody who'd be too enticed by the sight of it (the fact that it's nearly completely flat doesn't exactly help either).

Despite hearing heedful warnings from fellow beer drinkers that this is aggressively spicy, the aroma doesn't seem to throw up any flags. I was expecting five alarm but this is two, two and a half at best. While a faint must of cracked peppercorns is noted, its bouquet is comprised more so of the generic and familiar toasty grainy scent of rye malt.

That being said, if you so desire, swirling acts like a dial that can be used to turn the heat up (and once you let a little air through it the temperature is quickly cranked). Similarly, the peppercorns don't play out much in the flavour - at least not initially. Toasty, caramelly rye malts start things off but the pepper is definitely what's remembered...

What the brewery calls "a pleasant, spicy, tingling sensation on the tongue" I find an irritating itch in the back of the throat. My tongue feels fine, if anything pleased by the rye flavour, but the back of my throat feels as though someone put out a cigarette on it. I wouldn't consider it "spicy" - seasoned, pungent yes. Peppery, obviously.

From what little I've watched of those food network chef competitions, one of the judges' main complaints always seems to be under/over seasoning - I'd be curious to know what they think of this. I think the seasoning is fine but it's definitely under malted. Pepper aside this is fairly tasteless and too light-bodied, both for the seasoning and in general.

I'll give Dieu Du Ciel! credit for making something far more agreeable with peppercorns than I thought possible. I don't care for it enough, however, to understand the motivation for year-round production and distribution, especially when the brewpub has better offerings. Whether I liked it enough to buy again we'll have to see, but I'm good for now.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a dark copper hue with a one finger tan head. There was good retetion and lacing.

The smell featured a grainy malt with some rye spice.

The taste was upfront grainy with a light caramel sweetness. However, once swallowed an overpowering pepperiness developed. Very spicy.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness with an uncomfortable heat.

Overall a very unique but difficult to drink rye beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 341ml bottle into a tulip, thanks to freud for this one! Pours a clear deep brown/auburn, with little head (mostly carbonation) even as a I try to aggressively develop some. Thin layer of head retains and I'm left with almost no lacing by the end of this. Smell is malty, fruity, spicy and complex. Interesting, this is my first rye beer however. Taste is of rye and very malty, no bitterness in here at all. Peppercorn is really present, and other than being involved in some taste, leaves a strong burning sensation on my tonsils after the fact; not something I particularly enjoyed. Pretty full and warming mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, but that tingling from that pepper really takes away from it on the whole. An interesting beer to be frank, but not something I could ever have more than one of, and certainly not something I'd be looking for given the opportunity.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at the brewery. Served in a half pint glass.

Appearance - Amber body. Mostly clear. Excellent creamy white head. Beautiful lacing and a thin layer of foam.

Smell - Muted aroma. Might be the glass. I had this in a snifter and it smelled much better. Rye aroma is bombarded by peppercorn.

Taste - Tons of rye. No hop. Creamy rye and malt midrange. Peppercorn builds slowly and peaks in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very creamy. Almost like it's on nitro. Low carbonation.

Overall - Better in a more aromatic glass, but a delicious rye beer.

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel