2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Clef Des Champs - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

La Clef Des Champs
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: francisweizen on 03-01-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

5oz sampler at DDC tap takeover at National Beer Hall 24/11/12 from notes

A slight haze in a caramel amber body, it looks a little still though with little for foam but its a small glass so hard to tell

S smells like a Hall's honey lemon center cough drop with a blast of mint

T tastes better then the smell with some strange herbal notes, reminds me of something Grandma would make me chew on when she felt a fever coming on, some juniper infused toffee as it warms

M a little thin but not watery and the bubbles cream it up a bit after a second, strange finish I can't place

O I have no Idea what their attempting here in all honesty, a pretty strange brew to say the least

strange herbal notes that I never figured out, no Idea of style or what they used to make it. Not the best beer from one of my favorite breweries.

After the fact I see the style I have a better idea of what they were attempting. Not knowing this while drinking it I rated it on personal preference, if this pisses you off I suggest you drink a beer and forget about it

12-15-2012 06:28:47 | More by wordemupg
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

On Tap at the Montreal Brew Pub

Appearance – Slightly hazy gold colour with an average size fizzy/foamy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some fairly decent lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, rosemary, tea, mustiness

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread/hay mixed with rosemary and something along the lines of marijuana. There so also a mustiness and some tea notes. It ends with a herbal/rosemary aftertaste.

Overall – Quite a bunch of odd flavours going on here.. I only had a half pint and I was having trouble making it through my glass. If you are into herbal teas then this is your beer. The musty flavour ruined it for me though..

10-23-2012 16:47:37 | More by spinrsx
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber/light caramel colored, with a patch of lace, similar to the few other Gruits I've had a chance to try.

Smell: Spicy, spruce and pumpernickel, some peppermint and a cattyness that I've detected before in some english brews, but that was from the hops, and I'm not even sure this Beer had hops at all. It ends up with a patchouli creshendo. Intriguing!

Taste: Mid carbonation, which may not be totally true to style but a thumbs up from me, the spruce Beer and herbal taste comes clean. It does however mask the malt, I was expecting a bit more rye, but still quite enjoyable.

09-05-2005 22:47:33 | More by Goldorak
La Clef Des Champs from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.