La Clef Des Champs - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: francisweizen on 03-01-2005)
3.3/5  rDev -7.6%

5oz sampler at DDC tap takeover at National Beer Hall 24/11/12 from notes

A slight haze in a caramel amber body, it looks a little still though with little for foam but its a small glass so hard to tell

S smells like a Hall's honey lemon center cough drop with a blast of mint

T tastes better then the smell with some strange herbal notes, reminds me of something Grandma would make me chew on when she felt a fever coming on, some juniper infused toffee as it warms

M a little thin but not watery and the bubbles cream it up a bit after a second, strange finish I can't place

O I have no Idea what their attempting here in all honesty, a pretty strange brew to say the least

strange herbal notes that I never figured out, no Idea of style or what they used to make it. Not the best beer from one of my favorite breweries.

After the fact I see the style I have a better idea of what they were attempting. Not knowing this while drinking it I rated it on personal preference, if this pisses you off I suggest you drink a beer and forget about it

wordemupg, Dec 15, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -7.6%

On Tap at the Montreal Brew Pub

Appearance – Slightly hazy gold colour with an average size fizzy/foamy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some fairly decent lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, rosemary, tea, mustiness

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread/hay mixed with rosemary and something along the lines of marijuana. There so also a mustiness and some tea notes. It ends with a herbal/rosemary aftertaste.

Overall – Quite a bunch of odd flavours going on here.. I only had a half pint and I was having trouble making it through my glass. If you are into herbal teas then this is your beer. The musty flavour ruined it for me though..

spinrsx, Oct 23, 2012

3.25/5  rDev -9%

hopsolutely, Nov 11, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber/light caramel colored, with a patch of lace, similar to the few other Gruits I've had a chance to try.

Smell: Spicy, spruce and pumpernickel, some peppermint and a cattyness that I've detected before in some english brews, but that was from the hops, and I'm not even sure this Beer had hops at all. It ends up with a patchouli creshendo. Intriguing!

Taste: Mid carbonation, which may not be totally true to style but a thumbs up from me, the spruce Beer and herbal taste comes clean. It does however mask the malt, I was expecting a bit more rye, but still quite enjoyable.

Goldorak, Sep 05, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

Tasted at the Laurier street brewery in cask. nice bitterness from hop but also possibly Scottish herbs. Well balanced. Nice copper tint. Quite aromatic. Highly recommended

Anoel99, Aug 16, 2014
La Clef Des Champs from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.