Rigor Mortis ABT - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Rigor Mortis ABTRigor Mortis ABT

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Rastacouere on 02-06-2004)
2.73/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into a tulip

A: Light brown/amber with nice amount of tan head

S: A little malty sweetness, not very strong

T: Alcohol, Malt sweetness, dark fruits, clove, hop bitterness

M: Medium, a bit too carbonated

D: The alcohol is way too hot. Didnt want to drink more than 6 oz

Cheers!

Dubber55, Mar 24, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Opaque dark mahogany appearance with a sturdy, fine beige head that hangs around. Tiny streams of bubbles continually rise to the surface from the bottom of my balloon glass, telling me it's a well-crafted Belgian-style brew. Nose is of malt-generated dark fruit (dates, figs), tart green apple acetaldehyde, some vanilla, and alcohol.

The taste is similarly malt-driven. Caramelly vanilla comes through a bit more and seems like it may be the result of oak aging. The alcohol cuts into the dry, Belgian finish.

Rigor Mortis ABT has a great mouthfeel. Smooth and creamy, but not overly thick. Medium carbonation. Overall a good, but not great quadrupel. It lacks the dessert-like spice that I have come to love in classic quads such as St. Bernardus. Due to the price tag, I won't be buying this again, but I would gladly drink it if offered to me.

dpasotti, Mar 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

11.5oz. bottle poured into a tulip. #'s are there to be notched, but they arent :/

(A)- Pours a murky dark mahogany color that produced a foamy tan head that dissipated after a minute or two. Left some clumps of lacing behind.

(S)- A heavily roasted caramel & banana/clove thing going on. Tiny bits of lemon & raisins.

(T)- Same as the smell, only with an awesome creamy chocolate flavor in there. Almost tastes like a banana split minus the vanilla ice cream. Rather nutty; pecan or walnuts with a raisin-like sweetness.

(M)- Great carbonation level & balance. Very smooth going down with a great maltiness & crispness that I am enjoying very much. Rich & satisfying that is even almost crisp.

(D)- A very interesting quad that is really great with that chocolatey nut kick. Fits the style & has a few twists from the traditional. My only complaint is that $5.68 for this is a little steep just for 11.5 oz. Its good, but for the $, I would probably gravitate elsewhere for the style.

sweemzander, Mar 14, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Like a few beers from the brewery so decided to try another one...

A: Deep, murky, dark lake color. 1/2 white head that quickly fades. Almost like a murky colored iced tea.

S: Candy sugars, malts, and barleys upfront. Dark fruits in the middle. Not too heavy on the scent. Wish the smell was stronger. Not bad.

T: Hops and barley upfront. Dark fruits in the middle. Candi sugars on the backend. Interesting, but not too much special.

M: Hops leave a grassy / earthy flavor. Smoothness is good.

D: Goes down fairly easy. Not bad.

ALl in all, this is not one of the better brews from them. They do have some good ones, so def don't put this on your list to hunt down. If you want to try something good from them try Aphrodite or Peche Mortel. Good to try once if you like hops.

steve8robin, Mar 14, 2010

11.5 ounce bottle. Served in a goblet, the beer pours a brownish/red color with about a 1/4 inch tan head. However, the small head stayed around a while, and there was a decent amount of lacing, too. Aroma is dark fruit (raisins, figs), caramel malt, brown sugar and some apples. The taste is similar to the aroma, but with the addition of some bananas, spice, cherries, and some nuts. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit coating, rich, and is well carbonated. Drinkability is decent enough, the 10.5% ABV isn't as strong in the taste as you think it would be, but you can feel it after a little while. I think this is a good brew, although I'm not sure I'd buy it too often at $5.49 a bottle. But if you've never had it before, I still think it's worth trying.

bluejacket74, Mar 13, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled October 2009
A solid pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet glass produces a three finger thick, lightly amber tinged, tan colored head. The beer is a concentrated, burnt amber color that shows a lightly hazed, deep plum red color when held up to the light. The aroma is not anywhere near the sweetness I was expecting. My second smell of this though has me noticing lots of rich fruit aromatics that definitely have some sweetness to them. Notes of raisins and figs are quite prominent and there is a touch of hot alcohol towards the finish. A rich maltiness mixes with the dark fruit, contributing a deeply caramelized malt sugar note as well as some subtle toasted grain character towards the end. A touch of aromatics that make me think of freshly fermenting plums. Further inspection yields ample spicy clove notes, a touch of white pepper, some woody allspice, . At times the beer comes off as being savory, despite the fruity and sweet spice notes. This definitely has a complex, well integrated nose; one that is clearly world class.

Somewhat sweet tasting, though not overly so, the palate is immediately engulfed by a rich fruitiness that is only slightly wiped clean in the finish by some hot alcohol spiciness. Fruity, with a rich sweetness and even a savory malt backbone, this beer has a lot of things going on. There is quite a bit of spice character here, though it is not more than soft and is definitely well integrated; some lightly tongue numbing clove, an allspice note, some woody black pepper and an almost oaky spiciness (it has a definite woodiness to it somehow). For some reason the flavor isn't as impressive as the aroma, though this is still quite good. While this is rich and somewhat thick, the beer is not overly heavy; despite its strength it has a certain drinkability that is requisite of the style.

This is a pretty nice beer, the biggest flaw is that the alcohol can be a bit too noticeable at times; it doesn't ruin the beer for me though. Interesting, this might be quite phenomenal if not for the hot alcohol; I wish I had bought a second bottle to age a bit longer.

Gueuzedude, Mar 07, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy burnt copper color with a thick 1" head of creamy white foam. As the head fades a little it is leaving a thick wall of lace on the side of the glass. Overall, this is a nice looking beer.

Aroma: I initially got lots of fruity esters from the yeast along with some spice from the alcohol. The malt is present, but reserved compared to the yeast, but is coming in with some dark caramel and some mild toasty notes.

Taste: The flavor is not as fruity as the aroma suggested it would be. The alcohol is rather fierce in this beer adding heat and spice to the flavor and not leaving a whole lot of room for anything else. Once you start getting a buzz and become more immune to the alcohol, you can pick up some dark caramel notes and some toasty notes like I got in the aroma. The overall mouthfeel is actually medium, which is light for a beer of this style. The carbonation is high, and makes the beer seem even lighter on the palate. Normally this would make a beer more drinkable, but in this case, the alcohol is such that it just hangs out there on its own.

Opinion: Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed in this beer overall. It has rode on my motorcycle for the last few hours, but I let it sit for at least 3 hours in the fridge before I drank it. I thought that it may come across as more yeasty as a result, but it is the alcohol that makes the beer out of balance.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 07, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to a tulip glass from an 11.5 oz. bottle. Took a vigorous pour to get a good head. While the resulting, creamy, tan colored head didn't last long, there was lacing out the wazoo.

Dark red brown color. Inviting sweet malt and dried fruit and banana aromas. The nose doesn't really do justice to this effort. A little restrained.

Love the taste. Beautiful balance. Walks the razor's edge between sweetness and bitterness. Neither character overwhelms the other. Ample flavors of caramel, dried fruits and sweet malts. Peppery spices and a dry finish. Rich, but not cloying. Just the right amount of alcohol warmth. Man, I keep finding other flavors buried in here. Quite complex

I like this a lot

fairdinkum2, Mar 04, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

I like the different boundaries that Dieu Du Ciel push,I wish I could get more of their wares.This poured into a small tulip glass a hazed russett color with some orange glow,a sticky one finger white head atop.A mix of dark fruit and phenolic spice in the nose,the alcohol creeps as it warms.Flavors are not overly complex but pack good flavor,dark fruit,and brown sugar flavors stand out most,again as it warms the alcohol really comes in.Its not overly complex but its pretty good,watch out the alcohol will hit ya.

oberon, Mar 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Dark muddy brown with an off-white/tan head. Minimal lacing

Dark fruits, cinnamon bread, and caramel with some strong spiciness, kind of reminds me of St. Bernardus ABT12, and that's definitely a positive.

Spices theme definitely carries through to the tongue. There's also a prominent sweet bread flavor with some brown sugar and raisins. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. Enough to remind you of its weight though.

Mildly creamy with a ton of carbonation.

I like this one, but the one is enough for me. The carbonation and alcohol notes make it a little less of an easy sipper, but its still a fine beer in my eyes.

sevopie, Feb 03, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Cloudy reddish brown with a beige head that has good staying power.

Caramely nose. Toast, raisins, candied plums. Alcohol is not prominent in the nose.

Alcohol is much more noticeable on the palate, but it's quite nice. Rum raisin, caramel and toffee, maybe a hint of vanilla. Finishes with a bit of alcohol burn and some bitterness.

It's just a *smidge* too thick-bodied, to my tongue. The body is sticky and creamy. Carbonation is smooth and mild.

This is a pretty good quad, but a slow sipper that gets a little cloying as it goes on.

thryn, Feb 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe glass.

A. 1 finger head. Color is ruby brown. Ok head retention. Decent lacing.

S. Smell is caramel malt, Somewhat sour cherry smell. Dark fruit, spices, Pepper, caramel. Some alcohol.

T. Delicous Quad. Sweet caramel malt. Nice fruity sweetness. Dark fruit, a little banana taste. Some berries.

M. Full bodied. Lingering sweetness. Low carbonation.

D. This is a very smooth and well balanced Quad. Very delicous. Not as complex as some. The alcohol is extremely well hidden, and makes this very drinkable.

siradmiralnelson, Jan 30, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

From notes 10-26-09

Eye: Very dark brown in color, when held to the light it shows deep garnet hues. Hard to talk about clarity with a beer of this color. Head formation and retention is nice. Head is stable at about a half a finger with a very creamy texture and creme light brown in color, lacing looks very nice. Almost looks like a frappuccino...the way that the whipped cream turns to light brown on top and sticks to the edges of the glass.

Nose: Very vinous in aroma. Reminds me quite a bit of a Cabernet Savignoun. Spicy and dark red fruits, tannin. This thing seriously smells like a wine. Now, I'm getting some spice from the yeast, not like the spice I was smelling before from the beer on the whole, not like the spiciness or peppery cabernet savignoun. This spiciness is from beer yeast. Alcohol is evident. Slight and light banana esters, slight nutty and bready aroms.

Tongue: The label talks of chocolate and boy is that the truth. That is the first thing I pick out of this beer. I'm also getting some roasted dark malts, coffee like in a way but not quite...bitterness from dark grains. Its not stoutish but that real dark not qutie burnt but dark grain flavor hangs around after its been swallowed for quite some time. Alcohol is prevalent. Don't get me wrong this is a nice, big, beer...but its just not all that belgian. It lacks what would make it really stand out as a belgian, at least for me. Its good, just not "belgian good." There's just not enough belgian character that comes through in this beer for me to really go crazy over it. Yes I like it, and yes its good but there is much better out there, especially as far as quads go-Rochefort 10.

Feel and Drinkability: Carbonation is low and very fine as befits the style. Anything else and it'd totally blow this beer. Body is heavy and this beer is definitely one to sip on. Its not like other belgian styles that I've had. There isn't all that much sweet dark fruit and dark candy flavor or aroma here. An impression of smokiness and burnt or very darkly roasted grains...no maybe not that but heavily roasted barley and very much graininess. This is one that I'll sip on till its gone, but really, I don't think its worth the $5.50 I paid for it. I'm not saying to steer clear, but there is definitely better out there for quads. I've only had five hundred and change beers and I can tell you there are better quads out there. I guess its all about personal taste. This is not a "traditional" belgian quad. I think its very much different. I prefer the "traditional" to this. Not a big fan of that black patent or heavily roasted barley, esp when its mixed with a high alcohol brew such as this.

becktone, Jan 20, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -17%

Pours a clear dark amber, with a red tint to it. A surprisingly resilient and thick foam for the ABV, slightly beige in colour, leaves some creamy spotted lacing on the glass.

Smells quite fresh, with dark fruits and alcohol dominating. Imagine prunes and dried peaches pickled in a sweet dessert-wine. Some dry malt-notes come through as well.

My first thought here is that the alcohol is not matched by the residual sweetness, and the flavours overall leaves me lost in a morass of alcohol and a far to faint fruitness. Finishes with a stingy faint bitterness that doesnt sit too well with the.. uhm, non-sweetness of the beer, there is a very appearent yeast-prescense at the end as well. Dont get me wrong, it's not an unpleasant beer, but it leaves a lot unanswered for...

Quite full bodied, but the carbonation is a bit weak, although of the right kind, with small soft bubbles.

dqrull, Jan 17, 2010

Extra supplied by Lunch in a trade, thanks!

Drank this several times and finally got around to reviewing it. Poured into St Bernardus goblet to savor during NFC wildcard game.

A--Pours deep reddish brown. Some lacing and has plenty of carbonation.

S--dark cherry is the biggest smell that I get from it, I like that.

T--Figs and cherry stick out the most to me, this is very tasty beverage. The alcohol is not real noticeable, which makes this a dangerous brew.

M--Silky and lots of carbonation

D--Another excellent brew by Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel. This is a favorite style of mine and I highly recommend this brew.

garbercury, Jan 10, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

I am a huge Dieu Du Ciel fan, but Belgian Quads are one of my least favorite styles. They often times have this very astringent character, which detracts from my enjoyment of the beer. Lets see how this compares to other 'authentic' Belgian Quads out there.

A: Pours a real murky, dark brown. No light penetrates the deep haze present in the beer. Head is rather minimal, but lacing is present.

S/T: The aroma reminds me of a Tootsie Roll. Chocolate, licorice, alcohol, and a nice nuttyness in there. The Tootsie Roll flavor is there, but overshadowed by other, more pronounced characteristics. It is a very sweet and malty beer, first off. The initial taste is chocolate and brown sugar, and that gives way to a slight nuttyness. The final wave of flavors is where the Belgian character shines the most. Very bready, yeasty, and spicy. That astringent character I mentioned is present, but blended well with the rest of the flavors. Maybe it is the strong spice and alcohol that don't mesh well with my palate? Either way, this is one of the best Belgian Quads I have had to date.

M/D: Mouthfeel is very rich and semi-full bodied. Not quite as full as an Imperial Stout or Barley Wine, but close. Alcohol does warm the throat, which is nice. This is definetly a sipper. Drinks better as it warms.

I am a fan. I honestly think this is my favorite Belgian Quad to date. It just has a great pronounced chocolate-brown sugar flavor, which I like a lot. Very complex and very tasty. Seek this one out.

OldSchoolGamer, Jan 09, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Served from a 11.5oz. bottle, purchased at The Wine Source in Baltimore, MD, into my La Chouffe tulip at cellar temperature (01/04/10).

A: Pours a rather murky dark mahogany with a frothy two finger head with great staying power and lacing. From reading several review I did not come to expect much from the head, but it severely delivered for me, staying until the very end.

S: The aroma is comprised of dark fruits including raisins, plums, and prunes along with dried variations of said dark fruits. There are also tone of apple, and subtle alcohol. All of this is surrounded in Belgian yeast and some sweet malt.

T: The dried dark fruits are showcased in a blanket of Belgian yeast and sweet malt. Very nice flavors indeed and a pretty solid representation of a Belgian Quad. Not the most complex, but nice.

M: Fairly full-bodied and thick, representative of the style. Carbonation is unremarkable.

D: For the style it is quite quite drinkable and the 9.5% abv. is hidden well. I would have no problem having two or three of these is a sitting. About as sessionable as a Belgian Quad can be.

Overall this beer this is another solid effort from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel. I very much enjoyed this Quad and found it not only easy to drink, but quite flavorful. Nothing earth-shattering, just a well-crafted beer. Recommended.

Lunch, Jan 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

A: The pour is murky brown with a reddish tone. The head is a rather dissapointing experience - small and light.

S: Yeast and dark dried fruits. Floral hops together with sweet light roasted malt. Spicy - cinnamon.

T: Lots of dark dried fruits. The yeast is a little weaker in the taste compared with the smell. Some bitter hops and more floral ones. The sweet malt has a light roast.

D: The semi-long after-taste holds some bitterness and lot of sweetness. The body is full and the carbonation is a bit stronger than in Belgian Quads. A warm feeling in the chest from the alcohol.

T: The Quad is one of the most complex beer-styles and the masters of it are from Belgium (especially Trappist-monks). This is a nice try from another country. I will buy this one again, but I prefer the Belgian ones.

Evil_Pidde, Dec 28, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Rigor Mortis is a murky, chocolate brown color with a moderate beige head that quickly reduces to a collar. For the aroma all I can get for sure is a boozy smell, little else. I struggled for quite a while with the taste of Rigor, nearly to the end of the beer. Then I remembered I received some dates for early Christmas and sampled one. Guess what? That was it. So, Rigor tastes like a sweet, alcoholic date (I've had a few of those). The feel was full bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkability was only fair due to ABV, alcohol taste and price.

I did enjoy Rigor Mortis and rate it highly in everything but drinkability.

kegger22, Dec 22, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a murky amber/brown with a very thin head and some below average lacing. The smell is of raisins belgian yeast brown sugar and a hint of booze. The flavor is similar in profile to the smell but not quite as hot, a very mellow malty belgian flavor with hints of dark dried fruits and spices. The mouthfeel seems a bit thin at first but it thickens some with warming, and its drinkable but not as much as other quads I have tried. This is the second beer from Brasserie I have been impressed with(the other being Peche Mortel) and I will have to keep my eyes open for more.

dickieb, Dec 17, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

The colour is brown; the liquid is a little cloudy. The finger thick compact off-white head leaves some lacing.

The smell is very Belgian: Yeast, brown sugar, spices, dried fruits, some sourness and a hint of fresh plums. A bit too neutral for a quad, I think.

The taste is stronger than the smell. Mellow, matured notes of dried apricots, raisins and apples. Some bitter notes and yeasty notes. Fruity esters and some mild chemical phenols (turpentine, oil colour). The aftertaste is somewhat sweet with dry fruity flavours of raisins and apricots. Some clean bitter flavours and a touch of alcohol in the finish.

The carbonation is quite strong. Large bubbles. The liquid is a bit light, yet it is a bit sticky.

A qualified quad: Good craft but nothing extraordinary.

bark, Dec 17, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

11.5oz into Chimay glass.

Pours a deep copper, with burgundy edges. Respectable off-white head that fades to rimmer with a touch of lacing. Plenty of visible carbonation when held to the light.

Deep plum and rotten appple aroma, with plenty of spice, including cinnamon.

Rich fruity flavor, with duller spice profile than in the aroma. Some black pepper zing to counter the sweetness.

Somewhat thick MF (not more so than typical Quad), but with a good cutting level of carbonation, keeping it far from syrupy.

A sipper, no doubt, and with a not-too-thick mouthfeel over a pleasant flavor, it's a winner.

BeerImmediately, Dec 17, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

GLASS: Boulevard Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

This pours a nice, deep, ruby color. A two-finger head of creamy, light tan colored foam makes the head. Retention is very good and the lacing is thick and sticky.

Good notes of caramel and brown sugars. Nice hints of dark dried fruits. Candi sugars. Good yeastiness. Mild hint of booziness.

Big, malty, sweetness is tempered with a mild earthiness. Big presence of rum soaked raisins. Lots of toffee. Lightly biscuity yeastiness. Very light hint of a hops bite.

A nice medium-to-full body with a medium level of carbonation. The bubbles are very small, which helps this one go down smooth and retain a decent creaminess.

This is a good, drinkable, beer. Unfortunately, the 9.5%abv, while not overpowering, is a little too noticeable. This is akin to a sweeter St. Bernardus abt 12, but the St. Bernardus has 10.5%abv, which is better masked.

coldmeat23, Dec 16, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle from Brusin' Ales that's been sitting in my cellar for a little while. Poured into a Rochefort chalice.

Appearance: Pours a ruddy, dirty brown, hazy and cloudy, with a fair amount of light creeping in around the edges (as in, around the peripheries of this beer, it's nearly yellow). A fizzy white head emerges from this one fairly quickly and fades away just the same, pretty much what you'd expect, though a fair amount of thin surface dusting and a very thin collar does stick around for a while. Not the best looking beer, but hey, as far as quads go?

Aroma: I usually do aroma last - at least, after taste - and so this one has warmed enough by this point to where it was a little boozy by the time I got around to it. Medicinal phenols, cherries, caramel, and wholesome malts round it out.

Taste: I initially found this one really bready - that is, it was wholesome tasting, doughy, a little sweet, but also very similar to drinking rum-soaked bread crusts. But as it warmed a little - which doesn't take too long in the chalice - the sweetness intensifies (cocoa notes emerge, as well), a few bitter and chemically phenols emerge, and the dark raisin, sweet and slightly tart cherry combo emerges. Alcohol is faintly apparent, but the other chemical notes are a little more offputting unfortunately, with the remainder of the notes not quite vibrant enough to make up for it.

Mouthfeel: A little thick and a little syrupy, such that it leaves a little bit of a sticky residue on the tongue, but with soft, subtle, fine carbonation.

Drinkability: This one's definitely a quad - it's stylistically pretty spot on - and shows how you can make a really stylistically spot on beer that's just not terribly impressive. It's not bad, but it is decidedly mediocre. It helps that it's a little low on the abv% side - or, at least, you can't taste it that easily - but only so much really. Perhaps worth one try, but there are way better quads out there.

CrellMoset, Dec 07, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Small head, light toffé colored. The beer is a¨dark amber colored

S: big sweet smell, malty, some dried fruits, and a hint of hop aroma.

T: Sweet malty taste, smouth. Hints of dried apricots and banana candy(?). The 10,5 % goes by unnoticed.

M: Nice karbonated, smouth. A perfect cheese beer.

mvasilis, Dec 04, 2009