Corne Du Diable - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

awful

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Beer added by: Rastacouere on 03-07-2004

"American-Style India Pale Ale"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corne Du Diable Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -49.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue X:

"Horn of the devil" is touted as a contemporary interpretation of an English India Pale Ale and Dieu du Ciel's nod to West Coast IPAs.

Dark, murky brown, with amber edges; crowned with a creamy beige head with nice lacing and stick. Deep fruity esters of overripe stone fruit, some toffee, dark breads, hint of soap, and alcohol in the nose. Wet paper too. Gritty on the palate. Fine and prickly carbonation. Somewhat creamy, but rough around the edges overall. Hop character is quite abrasive, coarse, leafy and resiny, with oils sticking to the palate and drawing the flavors out. Grassy bitterness. Malts seem out of place and one-dimensional. Mostly toasty with some buttery toffee. Notes of oxidation bring with it some cardboard and sherry. Finishes dry with an earthy, papery finish.

This IPA could definitely use some cleaning up, balance, focus and filtering in order to stand up to any other IPA from the West Coast--or from England. (997 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -47.9%

A - Earth brown in color which is a bit off putting for an American IPA. Pours a moderate sized white head which stays or a bit. Lacing seems impressive.

S - Large amount of caramel and toffee in the nose. Honey and an intense sweetness towards the end. Out of character for an AIPA.

T - Caramel and sticky sweetness up front. Towards the end a moderate hop flavor comes into play. Not much bitterness, and the hop flavor can be described as slightly soapy. Not very appealing.

M - Heavy bodied and light alcohol burn. Nothing very satisfying about it.

O - The soapy taste becomes more predominant as I drink more and I find the beer not very satisfying. I'm glad I bought a single and not a 6 pack. (706 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -44.1%

Pours a very deep, dark brown garnet with adequate off-white head that laces pretty well. Appearance is very bland in my opinion, as there is no striking color, nor any clarity or really great head.

Smells sickly sweet, with vague tropical scents of way-too-sweet jackfruit. This has the aroma of fruit left out WAY too long, and is way overripe in every way.

Taste starts initially with a bit of faint bitterness, but then reverts to the overripe fruit. I feel like I'm biting into the softest, most nasty mango ever. Its WAY too sweet, and offers NO hop bitterness or anything else to contrast. Finish has a bit of herbal character which is nice, but it is enveloped in sickly sweet tones that make this a strange brew. It's not the WORST beer on earth, but for the style this lags far, far behind its brethren. Little bit of peppermint twang in the taste? Finally a positive note, but not enough to save this one, as it is tough to even get.

Mouthfeel is average, with enough body to carry the flavors, but is approaching watery at times. Drinkability is not great due to the poor balance in this beer. The malt profile is WAY too strong for this style, and it's a very disappointing brew coming from the makers of peche mortel. (1,237 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -39.6%

A - Nut/rust brown, quite cloudy, not able to actually see through the pint. Head retention 1 min.

S - Serious dried fruit, with a hint of citrus, but barely.

T - A malty and slight fruit start and then I found that the bitter really did not kick in until mid swig and then lingers through for finish and sticks to the middle of the tongue.

M - Lighter on the tongue than I originally thought the beer would be from the initial smell. Probably the most IPA part of this beer for me.

D - Not what I was expecting in this IPA, with such dry fruity notes to the ale that overshadowed the rest of the beer which seems to have an unbalanced finish that contrasts the style. The bitter finish tries to pull the IPA together but did not quite do it for me. I think Dieu du ciel is trying to have their own take on the style, but it was not my favorite beer this week. (865 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -38.3%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a dark to medium brown with a light brown head that doesn't rise much and has little retention or head. Its a very strange and off putting look for a IPA.

The aroma gets us back on track to drinking an ipa, it is light smelling but there are some very nice hops with a touch of citrus and banana.

This beer tastes terrible there is bitter hops start to finish with a weird horrible aftertaste that makes you think you're drinking an imperial stout. Mouthfeel heavy, can't drink it, I tossed it. (552 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -35.1%

Wow, gotta say I was thoroughly unimpressed with this beer. Maybe I'm just too hung up on the "American IPA" label. To me this in no way resembles an American IPA, or really any IPA for that matter. Pours and looks fine. Slightly hazy, bronze in color. Good head and retention, nice lacing as well. Smell was very grassy and earthy, some biscuit malt as well. Very little bitterness. Taste was a bland as well, almost tastes like pale ale but not quite. Some caramel malt, very little hops, mainly a grainy, grassy taste. Mouthfeel was fine, little thin though. I dont know, i really feel this should be better but I'm really just not feeling this beer. (653 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

thanx smutty33 for givin me this thing... but that being said i think i'm gonna drain pour it.. on my 4th sip or so.. it's not horrible but just not something i'm really enjoying..

A - This is weird because i'm not expecting it to be so brown/reddish.. actually has a decent head and lacing..

S - This is weird.. i think it's fresh but it has more of like a bready malt smell than a floral/piny/citrus ipa smell.. a weird ipa smell. i didn't really like it.

T - i can't figure it out.. maybe like a sour bitter taste that i guess i kinda like a tiny bit in a weird way.. has a grapefruit taste and i like that but this has that sour bad grapefruit taste i don't like..

M - almost makes me pucker up..

D - i gotta drainpour i had like 5 sips.. so i guess i have to rate it low.. (785 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Poured into my New Belgium snifter w/ laser etching. It formed a thin cream colored head. The laser etching helped it maintain a thin head with minimal lacing. The beer was a dark rusty orange color. Pretty nice.

S - Weak grassy alfalfa aroma with subtle lemon notes.

T - Kind of a sour up front with a little bit of malt. Kind of like slightly stale sourdough. The sourness fades to grassy and piney hops. The bitterness carries and there are some salty metallic flavors in the finish.

M - Light bodied without much carbonation and no alcohol presence.

D - I did not enjoy this much. Its predominant traits were sourness and bitterness. Pretty one dimensional. I don't think I will be drinking this again. (715 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -33.2%

There are definitely off flavors in this beer (I found it to have a earthy, maybe musty taste). It is quite hopped (normal for an IPA) but not the hoppiest beer i have had.

Would not really recommend it, the appearance is really great however, but that does not compensate for the weird taste. (295 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours a murky orange and brown. Definitely not filtered, lacks much of a head or carbonation. Aroma is pretty nonexistant.

Taste, nothing like an American ipa I would say. This is more like a red ale. Barely a hop is noticeable in this, toasted redness from the malt perspective plays dominate on this one. More viscous than most in this style.

The pricing on these are ridiculous, even if it were good. Rather bland for the price, its like a mildly hoppier version of something a little better than Killians. (513 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

Fail

(character limit makes me have to write more. under hopped caramel bomb, weird burnt orange unappealing color, subtle notes of pine but otherwise reminds me of a milder version of dogfish head 90 minute, probably one of the less pleasant IPA smells on record. West coast style IPA drinkers should avoid) (309 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Deep brown, extremely hazy. Nice head, but this is a rather unappealing looking beer and it doesn't resemble an IPA at all.

S: A tootsie-roll dusted with minty, coarse hops. It has a 'dull' character, doesn't have the brightness I enjoy in an IPA.

T: Mimics the nose, balancing a dark toffee sweetness and a broad, nondescript hop vibe.

M: Sticky and dense, though I did finish the pint.

Not an IPA, just a mess. (419 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Merky dirty water with a slight head..

S: nothing much....missing the hoppy smelll I expect form an IPA

T: hard to swallow...very harsh all the way down including the carbonation

M: Thick, too thick...

O: Glad I only purchased one of these...would avoid next time... (318 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -29.8%

Chilled 341 ml bottle into a shaker pint. Bottling date appears to be July 2012.

Look- Hazy amber with a frothy, crackly head that falls slowly. Nearly opaque. Nice pebbled lacing.

Smell- Not much here, vague... nothing. Something sweet, resinous, acidic, slightly burnt is hiding there somewhere but it's so faint as to be negligible. Weird.

Taste- Plain, fairly balanced for an IPA, clean, biscuit malt, almost wants to be citrus, but like the nose never quite makes it. Sweetness and bitterness balance and give a honeyed tea impression. It's not bad, there's just not much there to taste from what I can tell. Feels like Cali Ale yeast.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, juicy, crisp on the sip. Would go down easily but there's something of a lingering astringency that keeps it from being an easy drinker.

Overall- A pass for me. It's not offensive or bad, but there's not a lot of flavor or much of anything interesting going on here. It seems directed and well-executed, but it's just to... mild... to qualify as an IPA. It might be better than average for a Quebec IPA, but pretty bland compared to what I'm used to. Perhaps a nice intro craft beer? (1,154 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%

A mild version of an IPA more in line with a pale ale.

Its leaning towards balanced. An amber type malt bill with some charred and toasted backbone. Hops only provide some bitterness and not much more. Missing is the citrus and/or floral hops that I desire in this brew. Its just ok.

I'll pass on this in the future. Many more for less money that stomp on it. (361 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -28.5%

Best by 5/12 (darn). Poured into a pint.

A - A deep murky copper/bronze with an off-white frothy head. Good retention. Very unique color for the style but I'll run with it.

S - Caramel malts, toffee and some biscuit notes. Everything here is very subtle. Too much so.

T - Starts with a pinch of hops that recede quickly after being dominated by subsequent flavors. A big malt body hits next; thick caramel, some roasted notes and almost a metallic sense. Awkward for sure, perhaps attributed to it age?

M - One of the most robust, creamy American IPA's I have ever had. Big medium body and soft carbonation. I am fairly certain that is not a good thing. The compositions seem to contrast too much for my liking, as if the goal was to form some sort of hybrid brew that just does not match up.

O - I feel it probably has something to do with this beers age but I cannot get behind it. The big malts are just too much for an "IPA."The note that I describe as metallic continued to become more pronounced as I drank making it almost unpleasant. For me, this is a complete miss. (1,079 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

357th review on BA
bottle to pint
11.2 oz (2, 6 stamped)

App- Ipa's arent supposed to be this murky, brown, rust, muddy. Whatever color you want to call it. It just leans too far away from the bronze, gold, orange and yellows I am accustomed too.

Smell- Again, shy's away from convention with more chocolate and caramel notes. To me this wasn't a good thing. I felt more at ease calling this a ASA (american strong ale) than an IPA.

Taste- Something I can't pinpoint is off with this beer. It has hops and it's malty but just doesn't taste like it should. I feel DDC was trying to placate too many people on the American/English sides and wound up not doing either. The flavors are all represented just hap hazardly.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carb level with a sugary malty after taste. This to me was the beers best quality.

Drink- Since Peche Mortel and Aphrodite, I have been let down with DDC. I have a Rose in the fridge and if that is not a winner, I may walk away from the brewer. I won't have this one again, just stylistically doesn't mesh well. Wrong flavors, color. (1,087 characters)

Photo of
2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Appearance - brown with orange tint and a thin tan head.

Smell - molasses malt aromas with a touch of bittersweet hops. For an IPA the hops smell is surprisingly subdued with and there is a hint of a cardboardy off flavour.

Taste - big sweet malt, overripe dark fruit, cardboard, molasses. Plenty of bitterness in the taste, but not much hops flavour.

Overall, this is more like a watered down barley wine than an IPA. (422 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -27.1%

I have a feeling this was an old bottle.

Pours murky amber with about a finger of soft head.

Nose of sweet caramel and esters.

A sip is grassy bitterness, lots of biscuity sweet malts at solid carbonation and buttery/slightly sour bitterness to finish.

I don't know about this one -- it's just so sweet and even though it was dry hopped, all I'm getting is an odd ester grass flavor.

Pass. (395 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -27.1%

Had some really high hopes for this brew when I bought it. Once I opened it and poured it out I was surprised that the appearance was so muddy and brown looking. The head was decent but the look of the beer wasn't very appealing. The smell had an average hop aroma to it. The taste was more along the lines of an earthy IPA and not much of a citrusy IPA. The mouthfeel was medium and decently carbonated. Overall this beer was a major let down. (444 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -26.6%

The head started to rise in the bottle neck, my response of an immediate pour alleviated the need to mop the floor...again. The head sticks around awhile on top of body that resembles weak coffee in color with a few lees bouncing around the bottom. Lacing is really nice.

The smell is very vinous, reminiscent of a barleywine, not an IPA. There is certainly some hops pine and spice, but there is also toffee and raisins...not typical players in an IPA. The overall impression is a bit of mustiness.

This is not a good IPA. I've loved almost everything else I've had from this brewery and was shocked to see the Brothers giving this a D despite it averaging a B+ among the rest of the BA population, but now I get it. This is a poor example of the style and many people forget to review to the style. If I was reviewing a barleywine I might give this a better review but the acridness found on the tongue is unforgivable. The beer almost tastes light-struck, but the brown bottle decries that possibility. It is also overly malty for an IPA; the hops should be the main player and they're relegated to the aftertaste, battling with toffee.

I still believe in these guys, but they need to rework their recipe on this one. They attempted a west coast IPA and you CAN taste the grapefruit in there if you really try, but for me, I won't be trying again. (1,355 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -26.3%

Drinking this by candlelight with the power out... Figured I didn't have much else to do.

A - hard to tell in the dark, but there was a TON of foamy head that would not go away that it took a while to pour. The beer looks very hazy and red-amber in color. The head retains very well and there is a good amount of think lacing.

S - sweet malt and earthy hops mainly, maybe with a touch of citrus. Not much impressive here.

T - caramel malt with a bitter fruity finish... Suggests to me that the hops were old on the one.

M - a little too much mouthfeel for an American IPA style beer... Maybe too cloyingly sweet... Yes definitely too cloying sweet. Sharp bitter finish that lingers on the sides of your tongue.

O - good beer... Not quite meeting an American IPA unless you can get it fresh (794 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -26.3%

Trying out a different reviewing style. Let me know how you like it.

I was in the mood for an IPA this evening and my sights landed upon Corne du Diable. I'm a fan of many Dieu du Ciel beers and was ready to rip right into this one.

The beer poured a beautiful clear amber color and produced a solid finger of meringue-like head. Solid lacing on the glass indicated I was in for a bit of a hop-fest of bitterness. One sniff and I was locked in.

There are some wonderful floral and grassy hop notes coming from this beer, balanced well with the aroma of medium-roasted grains. A bit of sweetness is there on the nose as well, inviting you in. Very alluring. Then the devil makes his move.

Upon the first sip, all that was sweet and floral is gone. What you get is a rather mildly malty bitter bomb. Nothing floral about the flavor. This is all bitter, and not in a good way. Imagine the taste and feel you get from a lemon rind, but without the tartness or the sweetness. Just that tack-tack-tacky feel and flavor. That's the best way I can describe it... or perhaps the feel of licking envelopes for a while.

The feel of this beer, aside from the flavor, is somewhat normal if not a little thin. There is ample carbonation to greet you, but there's nothing solid about the feel of this beer. It just "is" on the palette.

Of note, as I drink it more, it's a bit easier to drink, but the flavor remains that stringent lemon rind. While I won't spill this one out, I'm certainly not going to reach for another. I'll stick to their other offerings. (1,552 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass
bottled on 1/14
purchased at La Duchesse D'Aiguillon in Quebec City

A: Much darker than I associate with the style, looks more like an amber ale vs. IPA. Dark copper color with hints of red when held up to a light. The off-white head was about 1 finger tall when poured but quickly dropped to a light film leaving a small amount of lace.
S: A very muted nose, mostly a hint of malty sweetness, no sign of hops.
T: There is a bitterness in the background along with a slight hint of citrus, but overall this is not an IPA (either English or American). There is a malty graininess and a definite dose of caramel sweetness. The malts are very prominent, not in a bad way, but they interfere with the small amount of hops.
M: A slight carbonation tingle on the tongue combined with a medium body, definitely not a west coast IPA.
O: My first thought was Alexander Keith's IPA (which is not even close to an IPA in America), this beer is much better than my memory of that horror, but it should not be labeled an IPA. I actually checked the website to see if it had been misclassified here, but they call it an American IPA, that just sets the drinker up for disappointment. Not a terrible beer, but a mediocre IPA at best. Very glad I only got one of these. (1,286 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -25%

Poured into a tumbler at Church Key.

A simple and nice dark amber body that leads to a more brown color. A tan collar but not much head but the collar stays throughout drinking. Looks good to me I say.

American IPAs. So many so little time, but one thing I have known about every IPA I've had is that it usually has an obvious sometimes strong nose. I whisk my nose to the glass, I smell.. at first... Nothing. That's it bubkis. Seriously this is really closed, clean smelling, trying some big whiff perhaps a faint malt. Really not impressed.

Taste luckily improves marginally. A hop bitter is first, but also kind of sour. No malt backbone to taste at all but at least there is hop but it's kind of ordinary.

Middle of the road IPA and not very dynamic thus reflecting the overall feeling I have for this drink. (817 characters)

Corne Du Diable from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel