Corne Du Diable - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

good

awful

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

"American-Style India Pale Ale"

(Beer added by: Rastacouere on 03-07-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corne Du Diable Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Merky dirty water with a slight head..

S: nothing much....missing the hoppy smelll I expect form an IPA

T: hard to swallow...very harsh all the way down including the carbonation

M: Thick, too thick...

O: Glad I only purchased one of these...would avoid next time...

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Deep brown, extremely hazy. Nice head, but this is a rather unappealing looking beer and it doesn't resemble an IPA at all.

S: A tootsie-roll dusted with minty, coarse hops. It has a 'dull' character, doesn't have the brightness I enjoy in an IPA.

T: Mimics the nose, balancing a dark toffee sweetness and a broad, nondescript hop vibe.

M: Sticky and dense, though I did finish the pint.

Not an IPA, just a mess.

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

A mild version of an IPA more in line with a pale ale.

Its leaning towards balanced. An amber type malt bill with some charred and toasted backbone. Hops only provide some bitterness and not much more. Missing is the citrus and/or floral hops that I desire in this brew. Its just ok.

I'll pass on this in the future. Many more for less money that stomp on it.

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Chilled 341 ml bottle into a shaker pint. Bottling date appears to be July 2012.

Look- Hazy amber with a frothy, crackly head that falls slowly. Nearly opaque. Nice pebbled lacing.

Smell- Not much here, vague... nothing. Something sweet, resinous, acidic, slightly burnt is hiding there somewhere but it's so faint as to be negligible. Weird.

Taste- Plain, fairly balanced for an IPA, clean, biscuit malt, almost wants to be citrus, but like the nose never quite makes it. Sweetness and bitterness balance and give a honeyed tea impression. It's not bad, there's just not much there to taste from what I can tell. Feels like Cali Ale yeast.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, juicy, crisp on the sip. Would go down easily but there's something of a lingering astringency that keeps it from being an easy drinker.

Overall- A pass for me. It's not offensive or bad, but there's not a lot of flavor or much of anything interesting going on here. It seems directed and well-executed, but it's just to... mild... to qualify as an IPA. It might be better than average for a Quebec IPA, but pretty bland compared to what I'm used to. Perhaps a nice intro craft beer?

Fail

(character limit makes me have to write more. under hopped caramel bomb, weird burnt orange unappealing color, subtle notes of pine but otherwise reminds me of a milder version of dogfish head 90 minute, probably one of the less pleasant IPA smells on record. West coast style IPA drinkers should avoid)

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Trying out a different reviewing style. Let me know how you like it.

I was in the mood for an IPA this evening and my sights landed upon Corne du Diable. I'm a fan of many Dieu du Ciel beers and was ready to rip right into this one.

The beer poured a beautiful clear amber color and produced a solid finger of meringue-like head. Solid lacing on the glass indicated I was in for a bit of a hop-fest of bitterness. One sniff and I was locked in.

There are some wonderful floral and grassy hop notes coming from this beer, balanced well with the aroma of medium-roasted grains. A bit of sweetness is there on the nose as well, inviting you in. Very alluring. Then the devil makes his move.

Upon the first sip, all that was sweet and floral is gone. What you get is a rather mildly malty bitter bomb. Nothing floral about the flavor. This is all bitter, and not in a good way. Imagine the taste and feel you get from a lemon rind, but without the tartness or the sweetness. Just that tack-tack-tacky feel and flavor. That's the best way I can describe it... or perhaps the feel of licking envelopes for a while.

The feel of this beer, aside from the flavor, is somewhat normal if not a little thin. There is ample carbonation to greet you, but there's nothing solid about the feel of this beer. It just "is" on the palette.

Of note, as I drink it more, it's a bit easier to drink, but the flavor remains that stringent lemon rind. While I won't spill this one out, I'm certainly not going to reach for another. I'll stick to their other offerings.

357th review on BA
bottle to pint
11.2 oz (2, 6 stamped)

App- Ipa's arent supposed to be this murky, brown, rust, muddy. Whatever color you want to call it. It just leans too far away from the bronze, gold, orange and yellows I am accustomed too.

Smell- Again, shy's away from convention with more chocolate and caramel notes. To me this wasn't a good thing. I felt more at ease calling this a ASA (american strong ale) than an IPA.

Taste- Something I can't pinpoint is off with this beer. It has hops and it's malty but just doesn't taste like it should. I feel DDC was trying to placate too many people on the American/English sides and wound up not doing either. The flavors are all represented just hap hazardly.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carb level with a sugary malty after taste. This to me was the beers best quality.

Drink- Since Peche Mortel and Aphrodite, I have been let down with DDC. I have a Rose in the fridge and if that is not a winner, I may walk away from the brewer. I won't have this one again, just stylistically doesn't mesh well. Wrong flavors, color.

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Had some really high hopes for this brew when I bought it. Once I opened it and poured it out I was surprised that the appearance was so muddy and brown looking. The head was decent but the look of the beer wasn't very appealing. The smell had an average hop aroma to it. The taste was more along the lines of an earthy IPA and not much of a citrusy IPA. The mouthfeel was medium and decently carbonated. Overall this beer was a major let down.

Photo of
2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance - brown with orange tint and a thin tan head.

Smell - molasses malt aromas with a touch of bittersweet hops. For an IPA the hops smell is surprisingly subdued with and there is a hint of a cardboardy off flavour.

Taste - big sweet malt, overripe dark fruit, cardboard, molasses. Plenty of bitterness in the taste, but not much hops flavour.

Overall, this is more like a watered down barley wine than an IPA.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

Best by 5/12 (darn). Poured into a pint.

A - A deep murky copper/bronze with an off-white frothy head. Good retention. Very unique color for the style but I'll run with it.

S - Caramel malts, toffee and some biscuit notes. Everything here is very subtle. Too much so.

T - Starts with a pinch of hops that recede quickly after being dominated by subsequent flavors. A big malt body hits next; thick caramel, some roasted notes and almost a metallic sense. Awkward for sure, perhaps attributed to it age?

M - One of the most robust, creamy American IPA's I have ever had. Big medium body and soft carbonation. I am fairly certain that is not a good thing. The compositions seem to contrast too much for my liking, as if the goal was to form some sort of hybrid brew that just does not match up.

O - I feel it probably has something to do with this beers age but I cannot get behind it. The big malts are just too much for an "IPA."The note that I describe as metallic continued to become more pronounced as I drank making it almost unpleasant. For me, this is a complete miss.

2.72/5  rDev -26.1%

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

The head started to rise in the bottle neck, my response of an immediate pour alleviated the need to mop the floor...again. The head sticks around awhile on top of body that resembles weak coffee in color with a few lees bouncing around the bottom. Lacing is really nice.

The smell is very vinous, reminiscent of a barleywine, not an IPA. There is certainly some hops pine and spice, but there is also toffee and raisins...not typical players in an IPA. The overall impression is a bit of mustiness.

This is not a good IPA. I've loved almost everything else I've had from this brewery and was shocked to see the Brothers giving this a D despite it averaging a B+ among the rest of the BA population, but now I get it. This is a poor example of the style and many people forget to review to the style. If I was reviewing a barleywine I might give this a better review but the acridness found on the tongue is unforgivable. The beer almost tastes light-struck, but the brown bottle decries that possibility. It is also overly malty for an IPA; the hops should be the main player and they're relegated to the aftertaste, battling with toffee.

I still believe in these guys, but they need to rework their recipe on this one. They attempted a west coast IPA and you CAN taste the grapefruit in there if you really try, but for me, I won't be trying again.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A:
Pours a flat, cloudy brown with an ample tan head that very actively foams and pops till it has settled from a couple fingers to half a one. Pretty good retention; lots of symmetrical lacing spots.

S:
Resinous malt. Citrus zest and rich toffee notes vie for position at the front with some cereals, pine, lime, brown sugar.

T:
Alternately awful and weird. Bitter hop flavors with some stainless steel, leaves, dirt, coffee grounds. Not good.

M:
Good carbonation, thin-ish, lingering aftertaste.

O:
Not a good beer.
At first (until I tasted it) I thought maybe it had gotten flack for being listed as an American IPA and when people tasted it they rated it harshly because of that. It looks nice enough and smells like a very nice take on an English IPA (malty but with a really American hop profile). But, damn, the flavor is all over the place, being earthy, bitter, malty, metallic. Not terribly good. The rest obviously suffers from this.
It definitely has the potential to be a great beer, but it is really not great.
Won't have again; meh, they make and you should drink much better.

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

I have a feeling this was an old bottle.

Pours murky amber with about a finger of soft head.

Nose of sweet caramel and esters.

A sip is grassy bitterness, lots of biscuity sweet malts at solid carbonation and buttery/slightly sour bitterness to finish.

I don't know about this one -- it's just so sweet and even though it was dry hopped, all I'm getting is an odd ester grass flavor.

Pass.

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Drinking this by candlelight with the power out... Figured I didn't have much else to do.

A - hard to tell in the dark, but there was a TON of foamy head that would not go away that it took a while to pour. The beer looks very hazy and red-amber in color. The head retains very well and there is a good amount of think lacing.

S - sweet malt and earthy hops mainly, maybe with a touch of citrus. Not much impressive here.

T - caramel malt with a bitter fruity finish... Suggests to me that the hops were old on the one.

M - a little too much mouthfeel for an American IPA style beer... Maybe too cloyingly sweet... Yes definitely too cloying sweet. Sharp bitter finish that lingers on the sides of your tongue.

O - good beer... Not quite meeting an American IPA unless you can get it fresh

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass
bottled on 1/14
purchased at La Duchesse D'Aiguillon in Quebec City

A: Much darker than I associate with the style, looks more like an amber ale vs. IPA. Dark copper color with hints of red when held up to a light. The off-white head was about 1 finger tall when poured but quickly dropped to a light film leaving a small amount of lace.
S: A very muted nose, mostly a hint of malty sweetness, no sign of hops.
T: There is a bitterness in the background along with a slight hint of citrus, but overall this is not an IPA (either English or American). There is a malty graininess and a definite dose of caramel sweetness. The malts are very prominent, not in a bad way, but they interfere with the small amount of hops.
M: A slight carbonation tingle on the tongue combined with a medium body, definitely not a west coast IPA.
O: My first thought was Alexander Keith's IPA (which is not even close to an IPA in America), this beer is much better than my memory of that horror, but it should not be labeled an IPA. I actually checked the website to see if it had been misclassified here, but they call it an American IPA, that just sets the drinker up for disappointment. Not a terrible beer, but a mediocre IPA at best. Very glad I only got one of these.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a dark copper color with a good foamy head

not very aromatic with decent tones of caramel, oranges, copper and some malty tones

fuller bodied mostly malty tones but very hollow on the mid-palate and some straw tones as well

This was an IPA that was lacking. It's decent, but fairly forgettable

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours with a creamy, heavy head with a dirty beige color. The head slowly settles to a thin layer of fine foam. Good lacing. The beer is dark amber in color, murky beyond transparency.

Aroma is fruity, toffee with a lot of alcohol.

Flavor is malty, with caramel, toffee and raisins. Also a good bit of alcohol and bitters.

Feel - Coats my mouth like campfire coffee. Real gritty with enough oil to slide down. The bitter doesn't leave for a few minutes.

I won't be buying this one again. They missed the mark calling it an American IPA, it's more like a bitter fruit ale. Perhaps they could run it through a filter and label it as such.

Corne Du Diable from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel