Rosée D'hibiscus - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Rosée D'hibiscusRosée D'hibiscus

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 06-06-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rosée D'hibiscus Alström Bros
cfalovo97

11-06-2013 13:39:40 | More by ShanePB
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

1.58/5  rDev -58.4%

Pours a pinkish colour, with brownish yellow tones. A weird combination. Seems to be bottle conditioned, and this must be an old bottle, the yeast at the bottom is a very dark brown. Almost no head. What there is is white, and not pink.

Smell - something in it that reminds me of vomit, or bile.

Taste is likewise awful. Other than the bile, it has a sour bite, hints of raspberry and finishes with sweet malt. Moderately high hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium light. Relatively high carbonation

Well, if you don't mind the wretched smell and taste, this might be more drinkable. I think this one is going down the sink.

01-13-2010 05:55:21 | More by prosper
decimator

1.68/5  rDev -55.8%

ABV was marked as 5.9% on the label.
341ml bottle poured into a tumbler.

A - Poured a thick, cloudy & murky pinkish brown. No head. No lacing. It's looks different but it wasn't too appealing to me.

S - Potent smell of flowers and fruits. Not smelling any wheat beer. Not smelling any beer at all actually.

T - Medical, herbal tea & soapy. This is some nasty stuff. My wife (with a much more sensitive palette) tried a sip, same reaction. I try a second time. Nope. Just plain disgusting.

M - Creamy texture, carbonation is a bit flat and a soapy finish.

D - Drain pour. I love wheat beers but I really didn't enjoy this one. It definitely has to be an acquired taste.

08-15-2010 13:59:33 | More by decimator
sk8man121

Maine

1.9/5  rDev -50%

11.2 oz bottle poured into Moinette chalice.

A: Pours a very interesting thin rose color, similar to a red zin and - beerwise - Dogfish Black & Blue. Attractive looking brew.

S: Jesus! I don't think I've ever put my nose up to a brew and felt as if I were going to keel over before - until just now. I guess hibiscus is there, but it smells more like infection than anything else. I'm scared to touch this to my lips.

T: Taste is a bit less offensive than the smell, but not by much. Super tart, but not in a mmm mmm tasty Cantillon way. Indecipherable spices and bitter tea. The finish is the only thing that saves this slightly, but it isn't nearly enough to make me want more.

M: Mouthfeel is actually quite decent. As expected, it's pretty thin, but the carbonation is nice and feels like a lambic.

D: Piss poor. After finishing this, I'm left with the question of why this well-respected brewery would ever bottle this. Did they try it?

I hope not.

04-14-2010 23:18:40 | More by sk8man121
cratez

1.93/5  rDev -49.2%

341ml bottle from the LCBO. Part of the Summer 2010 Beer Release. Pours a hazy and opaque pinkish rose with no head or lace. Aside from the unique colour, this beer looks boring. Smell is sweet malt, herbs, liquor, and flowers. Taste is tangy, salty, and mildly sour fruit, floral, leafy, and herbaceous hops, some spiciness on the palate, and a dryly parched finish. No wheat to speak of. Mouth feel is VERY tart and astringent, pushing toward cloying, with a weird and soapy saltiness in the aftertaste. Yuck! Perhaps Hibiscus will appeal to the anti-hop palates of mainstream Ontarians who don't actually enjoy craft beer. As for me, I find this to be an undrinkable, puckering fruit ale. Not worthy of attention.

06-22-2010 06:09:42 | More by cratez

11-30-2011 17:00:11 | More by kelvarnsen
Converge

Alberta (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev -44.7%

341ml bottle poured into a 13.5oz tulip. Bottle date: 04/12. Reviewed an old bottle of this before and gave it a 1.48, here's hoping it goes better this time...

A - Pours a vibrant pinkish-red, grapefruit color. Completely opaque. Bubbly white head with a tinge of peachy-pink to it. Glows neon bright when held up to sunlight, exposing trails of sediment and yeast floating in the glass. Little head retention, and no lacing at all. A fine looking brew, but I really don't care for the bottle label. I really don't care for any of Dieu Du Ciel's artwork in fact.

S - Not NEARLY as offensive as my last experience, but still unspectacular. It still has a distinct vegetal character that just doesn't appeal to me at all. Lots of pale malt, a bit of honey, notable floral qualities. Some funk, flaked wheat, cleaning product, perfume-esque esters, and hibiscus among floral spices. Pronounced skunk and mild alcohol and cleaning product.

T - There is just nothing special about this beer, whatsoever. Weak corny grains, light floral qualities, some peaches and hints of crisp apples. Really pronounced skunk that just drags the profile down. Vegetal finish and aftertaste.

M - Smooth, a little creamy, but also biting carbonation, sort of fizzy. Medium bodied, slightly drying finish.

D - I've tried this beer twice now, and while this wasn't the outright disaster it was last time I fail to see whatever anyone else sees in this. A mediocre profile of skunky grains and vegetal floral notes. Gross.

05-30-2012 02:14:33 | More by Converge
donkeyrunner

2.23/5  rDev -41.3%

via sylph

Thin white insta-vanish head over a pinkish amber colored beer. Collar retention with a few renegade swirls. Worst looking wheat beer I've seen in awhile.

Floral sour aroma. Honeysuckle and sour peach with a yeast like sour as if the phenols just didn't have anything to grab on to.

Light and delicate, this is princess beer. Taste is rose water at best and watered down white zin at worst. Some peach in there as well. No real wheat character.

My first thoughts are why would any brewery bottle this? This is like a brewpub one-off. The bottle price says $4.50--someone got hornswaggled.

01-28-2010 03:54:25 | More by donkeyrunner
NewGeneric

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

Am I the only one who had trouble with this one? The only thing that worked for me was the mouthfeel. It poured a slightly hazy pinkish rose color with thin white head that left no lacing. Smelled of malt and flowers. Tasted sour, flowery and malty. Pretty smooth, but slightly oily. I did struggle to put this one down, will not drink it again.

06-19-2009 06:53:39 | More by NewGeneric
buckyp

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

10-12-2013 01:40:11 | More by buckyp
DaveBlack

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

A: Perhaps the most interesting looking beer I've seen. The color is a rosy amber color and clouded due to being unfiltered. The head is billowy at first, but subsides quickly, leaving not much lacing. The carbonation sticks to the sides of my glass, making it almost look like pink champagne.

S: Incredibly floral smelling. I would say rose, but hibiscus is apparently the true aroma. I guess I don't know my flowers. It doesn't smell like a beer to me, it smells like a bad perfume because all I get is that floral aroma and a muddled sweetness.

T: All I will say about the taste is that it's interesting. The flower is still the dominant flavor, helped along by a slight tartness from citrus fruits. It kind of reminds me of drinking rose water, which is a very unpleasant experience. The floral flavor lingers, but without something to balance the flavor on the back end my mouth feels like I just drank dirty water. I'll give it some points for uniqueness, but I do not enjoy the taste of this beer at all

M: A light and crisp beer, light bodied, medium carbonation.

D: I found this beer fairly undrinkable. The partner with whom I was sharing the beer actually ended up dumping it because of how much she disliked it. Good mouthfeel, good (and interesting) coloring, but the flavor is perfume-like and unbalanced. I would never seek this beer out, and frankly I would not accept it if someone tried to give me one.

01-18-2011 00:44:33 | More by DaveBlack
albern

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

This is a bottle conditioned ale that looks interesting and certainly has some exotic coloring, pouring a nice hazy and yeasty reddish hued orange color. There isn't much head on the beer and no real lacing. The nose is slight, a bit of lemon, a bit of watermelon, a bit of floral.

The taste is a bit disappointing. This is a very watery beer, quite soury, with some yeasty off flavors, with a bit of a watermelon and vinegar sourishness. This isn't very enticing, not sweet enough to be interesting, and this needs to be gotten rid of. There are some florals, some hibiscus or heather type flowers, but the beer is just too watery, too sour, too yeasty, and not interesting enough to tickle the imagination.

06-13-2009 01:03:24 | More by albern