Rosée D'hibiscus - Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Rosée D'hibiscusRosée D'hibiscus

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 06-06-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rosée D'hibiscus Alström Bros
1.58/5  rDev -58.5%

Pours a pinkish colour, with brownish yellow tones. A weird combination. Seems to be bottle conditioned, and this must be an old bottle, the yeast at the bottom is a very dark brown. Almost no head. What there is is white, and not pink.

Smell - something in it that reminds me of vomit, or bile.

Taste is likewise awful. Other than the bile, it has a sour bite, hints of raspberry and finishes with sweet malt. Moderately high hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium light. Relatively high carbonation

Well, if you don't mind the wretched smell and taste, this might be more drinkable. I think this one is going down the sink.

1.77/5  rDev -53.5%

ABV was marked as 5.9% on the label.
341ml bottle poured into a tumbler.

A - Poured a thick, cloudy & murky pinkish brown. No head. No lacing. It's looks different but it wasn't too appealing to me.

S - Potent smell of flowers and fruits. Not smelling any wheat beer. Not smelling any beer at all actually.

T - Medical, herbal tea & soapy. This is some nasty stuff. My wife (with a much more sensitive palette) tried a sip, same reaction. I try a second time. Nope. Just plain disgusting.

M - Creamy texture, carbonation is a bit flat and a soapy finish.

D - Drain pour. I love wheat beers but I really didn't enjoy this one. It definitely has to be an acquired taste.

1.88/5  rDev -50.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into Moinette chalice.

A: Pours a very interesting thin rose color, similar to a red zin and - beerwise - Dogfish Black & Blue. Attractive looking brew.

S: Jesus! I don't think I've ever put my nose up to a brew and felt as if I were going to keel over before - until just now. I guess hibiscus is there, but it smells more like infection than anything else. I'm scared to touch this to my lips.

T: Taste is a bit less offensive than the smell, but not by much. Super tart, but not in a mmm mmm tasty Cantillon way. Indecipherable spices and bitter tea. The finish is the only thing that saves this slightly, but it isn't nearly enough to make me want more.

M: Mouthfeel is actually quite decent. As expected, it's pretty thin, but the carbonation is nice and feels like a lambic.

D: Piss poor. After finishing this, I'm left with the question of why this well-respected brewery would ever bottle this. Did they try it?

I hope not.

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%

341ml bottle from the LCBO. Part of the Summer 2010 Beer Release. Pours a hazy and opaque pinkish rose with no head or lace. Aside from the unique colour, this beer looks boring. Smell is sweet malt, herbs, liquor, and flowers. Taste is tangy, salty, and mildly sour fruit, floral, leafy, and herbaceous hops, some spiciness on the palate, and a dryly parched finish. No wheat to speak of. Mouth feel is VERY tart and astringent, pushing toward cloying, with a weird and soapy saltiness in the aftertaste. Yuck! Perhaps Hibiscus will appeal to the anti-hop palates of mainstream Ontarians who don't actually enjoy craft beer. As for me, I find this to be an undrinkable, puckering fruit ale. Not worthy of attention.

2.11/5  rDev -44.6%

341ml bottle poured into a 13.5oz tulip. Bottle date: 04/12. Reviewed an old bottle of this before and gave it a 1.48, here's hoping it goes better this time...

A - Pours a vibrant pinkish-red, grapefruit color. Completely opaque. Bubbly white head with a tinge of peachy-pink to it. Glows neon bright when held up to sunlight, exposing trails of sediment and yeast floating in the glass. Little head retention, and no lacing at all. A fine looking brew, but I really don't care for the bottle label. I really don't care for any of Dieu Du Ciel's artwork in fact.

S - Not NEARLY as offensive as my last experience, but still unspectacular. It still has a distinct vegetal character that just doesn't appeal to me at all. Lots of pale malt, a bit of honey, notable floral qualities. Some funk, flaked wheat, cleaning product, perfume-esque esters, and hibiscus among floral spices. Pronounced skunk and mild alcohol and cleaning product.

T - There is just nothing special about this beer, whatsoever. Weak corny grains, light floral qualities, some peaches and hints of crisp apples. Really pronounced skunk that just drags the profile down. Vegetal finish and aftertaste.

M - Smooth, a little creamy, but also biting carbonation, sort of fizzy. Medium bodied, slightly drying finish.

D - I've tried this beer twice now, and while this wasn't the outright disaster it was last time I fail to see whatever anyone else sees in this. A mediocre profile of skunky grains and vegetal floral notes. Gross.

2.13/5  rDev -44.1%

Pours a reddish strawberry color with a very small quickly dissipating head. Scents of cherries. Tastes sour, no malt or hops present and too sour for my liking.

2.18/5  rDev -42.8%

via sylph

Thin white insta-vanish head over a pinkish amber colored beer. Collar retention with a few renegade swirls. Worst looking wheat beer I've seen in awhile.

Floral sour aroma. Honeysuckle and sour peach with a yeast like sour as if the phenols just didn't have anything to grab on to.

Light and delicate, this is princess beer. Taste is rose water at best and watered down white zin at worst. Some peach in there as well. No real wheat character.

My first thoughts are why would any brewery bottle this? This is like a brewpub one-off. The bottle price says $4.50--someone got hornswaggled.

2.29/5  rDev -39.9%

Am I the only one who had trouble with this one? The only thing that worked for me was the mouthfeel. It poured a slightly hazy pinkish rose color with thin white head that left no lacing. Smelled of malt and flowers. Tasted sour, flowery and malty. Pretty smooth, but slightly oily. I did struggle to put this one down, will not drink it again.

2.34/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Perhaps the most interesting looking beer I've seen. The color is a rosy amber color and clouded due to being unfiltered. The head is billowy at first, but subsides quickly, leaving not much lacing. The carbonation sticks to the sides of my glass, making it almost look like pink champagne.

S: Incredibly floral smelling. I would say rose, but hibiscus is apparently the true aroma. I guess I don't know my flowers. It doesn't smell like a beer to me, it smells like a bad perfume because all I get is that floral aroma and a muddled sweetness.

T: All I will say about the taste is that it's interesting. The flower is still the dominant flavor, helped along by a slight tartness from citrus fruits. It kind of reminds me of drinking rose water, which is a very unpleasant experience. The floral flavor lingers, but without something to balance the flavor on the back end my mouth feels like I just drank dirty water. I'll give it some points for uniqueness, but I do not enjoy the taste of this beer at all

M: A light and crisp beer, light bodied, medium carbonation.

D: I found this beer fairly undrinkable. The partner with whom I was sharing the beer actually ended up dumping it because of how much she disliked it. Good mouthfeel, good (and interesting) coloring, but the flavor is perfume-like and unbalanced. I would never seek this beer out, and frankly I would not accept it if someone tried to give me one.

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

This is a bottle conditioned ale that looks interesting and certainly has some exotic coloring, pouring a nice hazy and yeasty reddish hued orange color. There isn't much head on the beer and no real lacing. The nose is slight, a bit of lemon, a bit of watermelon, a bit of floral.

The taste is a bit disappointing. This is a very watery beer, quite soury, with some yeasty off flavors, with a bit of a watermelon and vinegar sourishness. This isn't very enticing, not sweet enough to be interesting, and this needs to be gotten rid of. There are some florals, some hibiscus or heather type flowers, but the beer is just too watery, too sour, too yeasty, and not interesting enough to tickle the imagination.

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%

Beer? The cloudy red beverage with the pink foamy head looked more like a strawberry soda--with milk. No kidding. Decent mouthfeel, but strong fruity (berry?) smell and a very fruity taste that bordered on too sweet (and too sour). Actually a bit enjoyable (in a weird sort of way), but definitely not a "beer" in my mind, nor something I'd seek out. Worth trying... just for the experience.

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%

341 mL, bottled 03/10, purchased 7/10 at the LCBO. Split into a wine glass for my wife and a tulip for myself.

A: Pours a beautiful pink/rose colour and cloudy my wife loved the look, as did my 4 y/o daughter, but there was only minimal fizzy head that was gone before I knew it and no lacing. This could have been a 4.5 or 5 if it was lacing...

S: Aromas are enjoyable and wit-like. A bit of coriander, a slight flowery nature with an almost creamy undertone. Nice.

T/M: Well, I have never had hibiscus in anything before, and I certainly won't be seeking it out now. I assume that is what the overpowering rose-like flavour in the beer is. It covers up (to me) most of the wheat qualities, although it is quite viscous... That though is to its detriment as the power of the flower hangs on for (seemingly) an hour...

D: Sorry. Never having this one again. I was disappointed when after 1 sip, my wife said "No" and passed it to me to drink.

2.81/5  rDev -26.2%

I landed this one ona a recent trip to Dilly Deli in Mariemont, OH. It was hanging out next to the Péché Mortel, so I figured I stick with Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel brews and get a couple at $4.49 each.

Appearance: Attactive 12 oz bottle with a female Gelfling-like (?) drawing on the front (Dark Crystal!), topped with a black cap. A dating system appears on the right side of the label, but there was nothing notched. Pours a slightly hazy, rich ruby/amber. I only saw some bubbles on the initial pour. No foam can be seen 30 seconds after the pour.

Smell: Light wheat, mild malts and an indefinable, natural sweetness.

Taste: Simple beer with moderate sourness and sweetness. I detected wheat and malts. No floral attributes detected.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Light and refreshing beer... Glad I had the opportunity, but is it worth $4.49 per bottle, I don't think so. One was enough. It may have been old, but I know the shipment Peanut got was freshly delivered.

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%

Well, on the appearance, the artwork on the bottle was cool. The color was a bit shocking. Amber/coral in color, little to no carbonation.

I get peaches and some sourness on the nose. ABV and hops bitterness completely absent.

Sweet and sour taste with floral overtones. More like a nectar.

Mouthfeel smooth but the sourness lingers a bit. Do I have a bad bottle. Nevertheless, I probably wont revisit. Not very appealing.

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%

5.9% ABV, 16 ibu? on tap.
A - hazy pinkish with finger head.
S - candy sweetness, fruity, juicy, tart, floral.
T - light body, tart sour cranberry taste, lingering, lemon grapefruit peel bitterness.
O - is it wheat beer, more like a light sour beer, interesting spiced with hibiscus flowers. good beer during a hot summer day! won't buy it again but it's worth to try it. like their peche mortel (stout) more!

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Thanks to Jwelsh for the extra!

Pours a delightfully murky pinkish reddish orange. Maybe half an inch of white foam. No real head.

Smells ... interesting. Herbal and floral notes, with a completely unexpected lemony zest. Taste, unfortunately, is not as intriguing as the aroma. Kind of a muddled mix of overly sweet brown sugary malt, with a weird zesty twang, and overlaying it all is that herbal/medicinal tone that was interesting in an aroma, but not so much in the flavor.

Nice lively mouthfeel.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a lovely rose-pink with a 2-inch head of light pink that quickly dissipates to a slight haze and thin ring.
S - Sweet, crisp wheat, Belgian bubblegum yeast, white grapes, and floral hibiscus. Reminds me of a (high-quality) pink champagne, very flowery. Slightly sour, funky aroma that balances the sweetness nicely.
T - Taste falls a bit flat for me, mostly wheat, grape juice, and a very muted floral aspect. Reminds me of Crystal Light or something, basically a watered-down fruit drink. Too bad.
M - Thin-bodied, very crisp, with a high level of sharp carbonation. A touch too carbonated, again, this is like a floral juice beverage of some sort.
O - Not the best floral beer I've ever had, but the girlfriend will probably like it.

2.99/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a nonic
(A)- Pours a pale blush red color. Little to no white froth
(S)- Big nose of hibiscus. Some honey-like sweetness meets cereal/bread-like dryness
(T)- Big on sweetness and hibiscus. Honey-like flavors on the finish
(M)- Low carbonation meets a high sugary sweetness. Middle and finish are quite muted/flat
(O)- Possibility of getting an older bottle, but this generally has hibiscus with big sweet malts. Poor carbonation level

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Bottle purchased from Oliver's in Albany, NY.

Pours hazy, nearly opauque pink/red, with a very small 1/4 inch head, not much lacing.

Smells like what I guess is hibiscus flowers, never smelled that before, but there's a sweet floral scent that dominates. Quite perfumy, and a bit overbearing.

The taste is similar. Strong hibiscus and general red berry flavor dominates the witbier underneath. Tastes more like a tea than a beer.

Light to medium bodied, low carbonation, crisp mouthfeel.

Someone who likes these dominant flavors would like this beer, unfortunately, I now know I don't like hibiscus.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a stemmed glass, this was almost a dark pink. Maybe more rose' mahogany in color. A soft-drink like fizzy head didn't stay for longer than 5 seconds.

Aroma was surprisingly mild. Slightly fruit sweetness was present, and an overall floral sense.

The taste was almost like tropical fruit juice with the sweetness taken away.

Mouthfeel was thin and the taste finished short.

Drinkability was actually easy, but the flavor isn't making me want another. It's fine for what it is...almost like a champagne beer. I could see it having it's time and place, maybe for people who are trying to slowly make the cross from fizzy fruity drinks into the beer world.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a stemmed tulip: cloudy pinkish orange with a very slim collar of head.

Smells of light tropical fruit, sweet floral herbal smells, assume from Belgian yeast.

Taste is sweet passion fruit, slightly tart, with a tea-like quality.

Light-bodied, on the flat side, & the fruity character sticks to the mouth.

Overall pretty disappointed in this one. Not sure I'd be able to distinguish it from fruit jucie if you set both in front of me. The taste becomes hard to bear after a while.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%

Fantastic bottle label artwork for $4.99 plus tax for a single bottle of this.

A= Like a slightly off-pink blush bubbling wine. No head. Looks like the stuff we used to make in college and called it "balloon wine."

S= Interesting scents of red florals (cherry, strawberry, raspberry etc) and hibiscus or rose-hips. Smells like the stuff we used to make in college and called it "balloon wine."

T= Lightly bubbly, half-fermented red-fruit and hibiscus (or rose-hips) flavors. Tastes like the stuff we used to make in college and called it "balloon wine."

M= Mildly yeasty like half-finished balloon wine. Not bad, although my wife nearly choked on it. I was hoping for a far more enjoyable experience from this especially at $4.99 for a single bottle. The bottle artwork was the redeeming trait.

D= We half-finished a 12-ounce bottle between 2 adults. I let the remainder go flat overnight and today there's hardly any flavor in the remaining off-pink liquid-- more like very watered-down cheap wine rinse or similar. Oddly though, there's a lot more scent and nose in the flat fluid remaining than any sort of flavor or taste.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%

12oz bottle purchased from Super Marche Rahman in Montreal. Pours a cloudy pink-brown. Smells like strawberries. Flavour is light and fruity - again with the strawberries. Has some qualities similar to a light witbier. Mouthfeel is thin. I don't understand why DDC would choose to bottle this one.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

330ml bottle july 19 2009

A cloudy pink with some orange, foam grew quickly and vanished in no time, no head no lace

S very floral, with some grapefruit

t not like any thing ive had before, very floral with a little sting i just could not place

M/D went flat on me and was not that great, different not something ive seen before

not my cup of tea, with so many styles out there you cant love them all

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into my Abita baloon glass.
The artwork on the bottle is quite nice.
The beer pours a beautiful color, a deep rose color. The head was light, faint pink, and was minimal at best. The foam rose and fell in almost one fluid motion and there was only a faint ring of foam around the glass. No lacing.
The aroma is very pleasant and complex, with a mixture of delicate florals, bready yeast, ripe berries, roses, sweet wheat and malts, and raspberries.
The taste is good, and some nice complexities show here as well, with a wheat sweetness, tart berries and floral flavors. The finish is tart and very dry, with a nice crisp bitterness.
Overall, a decent drink. Not something I'd buy often, but I don't regret getting this one. Try it at least once.

Rosée D'hibiscus from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!