Rosée D'hibiscus - Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Rosée D'hibiscusRosée D'hibiscus

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 06-06-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rosée D'hibiscus Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From: Friar Tuck, Savoy, IL
Date: None on bottle
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Rosee D'hibiscus is an intriguing spiced witbier that, while looking fairly unimpressive, has a pleasant aroma and taste that are reminiscent of a good herbal tea. This was a beer that I could actually drink during the daytime and feel appropriate in doing so. This all being said, I'd probably make my own tea with these flavors rather than purchase a $5 11oz bottle with no bottled-on date.

Pours a 0.5cm tall head of whitish to extremely faint pink foam, which quickly fades (in under thirty seconds) to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass and a small island of residual lacy foam atop the center of the body of the beer. Lacing is minimal, just a few dots cling to the sides of the glass. The body is a dark reddish brown color, with light bringing out bright brown hues with a minor red tint. Carbonation is moderate, but very active, rising from the center of the glass and visible through the slightly hazy (10% opacity) body.

Aroma is pleasant, tartly floral, of wheat malt, hibiscus flowers (as in tea), light champagne, slightly tart raspberries, some notes of citrus rind.

Flavors are dry tartness, with obvious hibiscus and wheat malt usage, less obvious and unknown sources of raspberries, lemongrass, and ginger. Front of palate experiences some slight berry-like tartness, hibiscus, lemongrass, and dry wheat malt. Mid-palate of increased tartness, hibiscus, coriander, lemongrass, mild raspberry, and ginger: somewhat reminiscent of herbal tea with a heavier body. Back of palate detects tart hibiscus, faint raspberry, ginger, and lemongrass, with slightly smooth, dry wheat malt. Aftertaste is of dry wheat grains with low residual tartness, faint flavors of hibiscus, ginger, raspberry, and lemongrass.

Beer is medium-light to light in body, with carbonation of medium intensity, leading to a slightly fizzy mouthfeel that eventually calms to a light foaminess (2/5) and general smoothness (3/5). Could use a bit more consistent carbonation without the fizziness. Closes dry, with very light stickiness on the palate.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A-Pink and orange blend beautifully to give a sunrise hue. Juicy grapefruit meat colored. Silvery starry sudsy bubbles pop up then thin out fairly quick. Not too much head. No lacing at all. My glass was sparkling clear and clean when I finished.

S-Champagne. White Wine. Grape skins. Sour cherry. Fresh wet hibiscus. Grapefruit. What a bouquet of fragrant scents!

T-Low malt backbone juts in with tart hibiscus attached. The medium tastes swim in with: Dark cherry, rosehips, sizzling ginger. A slight bitter touch masked by dominant sweet fruits. Like, sugar-coated grapefruit. All the flavors blend nicely. Refreshing. I wish the taste was more elegant though. The malt should pop up in the middle or finish. Or AFTERTASTE even. Not on initial sips. Like a cheap malt liquor infused with hibiscus the first millisecond tastes like. But it's rescued by the flourishing flood of flavor. Tweaked this could be a classic Hibiscus Ale. When warmed orange bled in.

M-Spritz-y. Light/medium body. Low carbonation that dies quick, giving the feel of a juice. Not bad, it works here, with the taste being so great. Primarily fruit, floral and herbs on the palate give it a cold herbal-fruit tea feel, seasoned well. You can feel swirling ginger/cinnamon type thick sprinkles. But this is beer, it should feel like beer.

O-Will buy again. I'd love to have this on draft. Or have a growler. The color alone will intrigue you and the smell will have you nosing the glass down to the last drop. This brew smells like a perfumed lovely woman. Who's been drinking. Ha.

3.51/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 341ml bottle

A: A rose color. Not much head at all, dissipation was quick and not much lacing either. Very transparent.

S: Flowery and a bit of sweet malt poking its head.

T: Let it be known that I don't really know what a hibiscus plant smells like so I may not be able to give an accurate rating on the beer. Once again i'm getting some kind of flowery smell that's border line rose. Its not overpowering and more or less works in the background but its there, more so in the aroma however. Sweet malt is present and also a bit honey like.

M: Carbonation was very low in my beer. I think this might have been some kind of flaw because it poured next to flat. I pictured it being a bit more spritzey but its okay like this.

O: it was a good beer overall and an interesting venture into gruit ales. Although I didn't find it that much of a stark contrast to a typical beer of the same style without gruit it was interesing.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Nice amber pink color with practically no head, which by the way is pink.
Light floral aroma of hibiscus, as promised. Hints of sour strawberries.
Taste follows nose. Slightly sour with notes of Hibiscus flowers and strawberries. Perfect sweet level. Dry aftertaste with a smooth acid sensation.
Medium body with low carbonation.
Creativity that paid off, it is perfectly balanced between all ingredients, very refreshing and harmonic which is hard to accomplish on daring experiments.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Hazy ruby, not much head or carbonation.

S-Floral, earthy, spices, orange and lemon.

T-Rather earthy, caramel, lemon, floral notes, no bitterness.

M-Lighter, not much carbonation and watery.

O-Rather floral beer that somehow kept its balance. Doesn't hold a candle to the other DDC beers though.

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pinkish orange, the color of grapefruit flesh. Very little head formation, what there is dies almost immediately, surprising considering the use of wheat in brewing.

The nose is truly delightful. Peach, melon, floral and sweet. Light malt and cereal, a hint of spice.

Delicate tropical and citrus fruit followed by a clean and gentle bitterness. Slightly tart with an earth like quality. Spice leads to a crisp, dry finish.

Despite little visible carbonation, this beer has some bite. Lush and effervescent, it feels indulgent yet light.

Very refreshing with many subtleties. If easier to obtain, I would consider making it a part of my regular spring/summer repertoire, and I bet this would be great as the base for a beer sangria. Not that I've ever made one! Highly recommended.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Bottle purchased from Oliver's in Albany, NY.

Pours hazy, nearly opauque pink/red, with a very small 1/4 inch head, not much lacing.

Smells like what I guess is hibiscus flowers, never smelled that before, but there's a sweet floral scent that dominates. Quite perfumy, and a bit overbearing.

The taste is similar. Strong hibiscus and general red berry flavor dominates the witbier underneath. Tastes more like a tea than a beer.

Light to medium bodied, low carbonation, crisp mouthfeel.

Someone who likes these dominant flavors would like this beer, unfortunately, I now know I don't like hibiscus.

4.71/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 11.5oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A - A pink like the blush on a peach.

S - Sweet floral, apricot, honeysuckle, tart red fruit, straw.

T - Subtle tartness, delicate floral and citrus notes, cereal aftertaste from the wheat.

M - Dry, moderate but fine carbonation.

A refreshing beer, an exercise in restraint building a delicate but complex ale. It is well thought out and I am certainly glad we picked it up.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a teku.

A: Solid amber rubyish hue. Pours about a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Settles very quickly leaving a beer ring, and thin blanket of of bubbles. Slight rising effervescence. Very slight, spotty lacing.

S: Pale bready malt with a light floral component and a hint of citrus. A bit of tea leaf.

T: Sourdough, orange rind, and a little wood.

M: Syrupy and palate coating. Pungent, lightly bitter finish.

D: Light body, easy drinking experience.

Atmosphere is decent. Fair head, and some spotty lacing. Light and grainy with some floral and citrus. Bready, with some sweet orange, and bitter orange rind; and just a bit of a woody character. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass. The beer pours hazy pink with a thin white head. The aroma is typical of a wheat beer. I get the wheat. I also get some spices and some floral notes. The taste follows the nose for the most part. I get those spices as well as some fruitiness. Not bad. The body is medium with moderate carbonation. The finish is mostly clean. The drinkability is high. This is a very good beer.

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beer is dark pink with a small white head. The head has pinkish hints and fades quickly.

Nose contains hibiscus, wheat and raspberry. A bit tart.

The hibiscus flavour comes through strongly, along with a bit of raspberry. Wheat and bubblegum. Slightly tart.

Medium bodied, moderate to high carbonation level. A bit drying.

Overally, pretty good. I have not been very fond of this beer on a couple of previous occasions when trying it, but enjoyed it much more this time, for whatever reason.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

341ml bottle poured in a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Magnificent bottle art. Dieu du Ciel! trademark. The beer itself is also such a beauty. It pours something in between orange an pink color forming a medium to big bubbled and fluffy white head. A bit cloudy. Good retention and only few to no lacings left in the glass. A thin layer remains from beginning til the end

S: Very flowery as expected. Spicy too. Reminds a Belgian Witbier with strong notes of flowers in it. Quite good and complex. Some notes of fruits (mainly cherries) and sweet grains as well

T: Light sweet grains upfront. Strong notes of wheat. Some notes of sweet malts. Flower and spicy taste, I would dare to say some coriander and orange zest are present too. Again, reminds me Belgian Witbier spiced with flowers. A light hibiscus acidity in the mouth but not overwhelming but pleasant. Very mild bitterness, very light hops profile. Yeasts have Belgian Wit profile

M: Light body. Medium carbonation and a flowery aftertaste with notes of wheat and spices

O: Great drinkability. Another Dieu du Ciel! masterpiece. Very unique beer

4.01/5  rDev +5.2%

Eye: Well the name has it right! Cloudy orange, with heavy pink hues in there. I mean this one is pretty much pink-but with orange hues. Head has great formation, retention, and lacing. Texture of the head would have to be put at thick and creamy. Its color is an extremely light pink, or if you like, white with pink hues. Tiny carbonation bubbles give this one an active appearance.

Nose: Nice complex aroma here. First thing that strikes me is "Belgian Wit." Next I pick up some acidity, and just as the label says its from the hibiscus. It is a very subtle aroma. Fruity, but I just can't put a finger on what exact fruit I'm getting from the hibiscus. Soft tropical fruits, some orange in there, as well as something like a very light cherry. Very nice and complex aroma on this one. I like it, it is quite nice. Some sweet notes upfront as well. Some soapy aromas in there....

Tongue: Witbier character, with some acidity from hibiscus. Very light tasting and refreshing. Again that light cherry deal that was in the aroma is in the flavor as well. Floral with that cherry at the end, light acidity gives this beer brightness and life. Lactic? is that what I'm getting hints at? Yeast flavor of Belgian Wit is there, and perhaps some orange/coriander as well, but it could just be the overall fruitiness blending with the acidity and giving me the impression of that. I like this beer. Quite different, and refreshing. It is pretty cool because like a fruit beer it has some acidity, but it isn't too sweet and is definitely not cloying and it still tastes like a beer. This is one that would quench my thirst on any hot day.

Drinkability: This is one that is definitely worth a try, and one that I'll be coming back to as well. I like this beer. I think it may be one of my all time favorite takes on a Belgian Wit that I've had. For me its up there with Southampton Double White(I got elements of German Hefe and Belgian Wit in that one). But, really the first beer that has had a major impression on me in quite a while. Something different and quite delicious. Get outside the box and try this, you'll be glad you did.

3.22/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I like this brewing company. I have had a few beers from them, and everything I have had impressed me. I landed this one in a trade. I have never seen this bottle, so I am pumped to drink it. The flowers they use to flavor this beer excite me. I have never thought about hibiscus flowers being used to flavor things until I had an order of hibiscus enchiladas last year around the holidays. They. Were. Amazing! SO sweet and just a great fruity flavor. I hope the beer reminds me of those enchiladas.

Oh, and you can use the flowers in champagne, too. Pour a glass of champagne, drop in a flower, and let the flower go to work. It will change the color and the flavor of the champagne, and when you are done drinking, you can eat the flower. Fun! I hope this beer stacks up. Cheers!

In the Glass: It's not pink. I like the color pink, and this beer is not pink. It is light with a hint of pink… but not pink. It has a nice thin white head that hangs around for a little bit. I haven't had the chance to smell it, but based on what I know about this flower, I am expecting a sweet aroma AND a sweet flavor. Here goes nothing!

Nose: I am getting a hint of hibiscus here, but it's nothing to write home about. Actually, the aroma is quite weak. There is a nice fruity finish, but I wanted a more robust explosion of aroma that just isn't there. I will say the beer is leaving quite a nice lace that I didn't see before. Just not what I was expecting in terms of aroma. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

Flavor: Oh, it tastes better than it smells. WAY better than it smells. There is an explosion of sweetness as soon as the beer hits your lips that continues as you drink. I will say the overall experience is weak, as the sweetness is there and gone in a flash. But the hibiscus flowers really do add some character to the front of the beer. I hear this is a wheat beer base. You would never know that. But it is a nice easy to drink poolside beer. I bet this would taste great ice cold on a hot summer day.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty boring, too. It has nice consistency, but there isn't much character to it. It is, however, very easy to drink. I will say this is my least favorite beer from this brewery. Oh, and I thought this was a Belgian brewing company. Not sure why I thought that…

Aftertaste: There are some nice somewhat sweet hibiscus notes hanging around there at the end. The sweetness that you get up front is gone by the time you swallow a few times, but that's OK.

Glad this beer was on the list, but it isn't really taking me back to those enchiladas. Jeremy and Petulia were there that night…I wonder if they remember. I doubt it. That was a long time ago! Cool label on this one, though. If you have access to this, grab a single bottle. But don't go out of your way to get it. Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Slightly darker than ruby-grapefruit, and very murky. Has a thin white head that settles down straight away. No lacing at all.

Aroma: Summer berries, hibiscus (obviously), some peppery spice, and a little bit of grapefruit / citrus.

Taste: Not as sweet as I was expecting, but still well balanced. Tart berries were again the first impression, followed by citrus, flowers, pepper, and a wheat grain finish. Minimal bitterness from hops, however there is a herbal presence that lends its own bitterness to the brew. Some dry yeasty characteristics that remind me of champagne.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body, and medium-low carbonation. Slightly astringent and dry aftertaste, no real heat is noticeable.

Overall: Quite a refreshing and interesting beer. The hibiscus is definitely present, however, in no way does it overpower. A really good balance between the slight sweetness, berry tartness, and herbal bitterness brings this beer to a higher score than the sum of its parts.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel - Rosée D'hibiscus poured into a Craftgeer snifter

Look - Pours a hazy ruby with a bubbly head that dissipates quickly, no real lacing is apparent.

Smell - Fruity, somewhat cloying malt, as well as hibiscus and light spices.

Taste - snappy then smooth spices and hibiscus.

Mouthfeel - Sour, dry, not boozy, good drinkability, light-bodied.

Overall - Smooth as this style of beer goes. This was quite well done, would recommend for fans of herbed/spice brews.

4.04/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 330 mL bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a murky, dirty rose color with a faint white head that quickly dissipates. Dark red (berry-like) sediment at the end of the pour.
S: Hibiscus, medicinal herbs, and soft and sweet caramel malt.
T: Fresh hibiscus (better here than in the aroma), red berries (raspberry, strawberry, etc.), a dry earthy mineral note, and a general floral/herbal note.
M: Light body. Delicately sweet. Finishes slightly dry with a pleasant lingering fruit/berry note.
D: A well done "interesting" brew. Nicely sessionable and very refreshing. Would pair well with light picnic fare.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Gorgeous soft pink color but with no head. Lots of hibiscus on the nose but also slightly medicinal almost robitussen like but the hibiscus makes it elegant.

Light with champagne like carbonation. Lots of initial wine like sweetness, hibiscus comes through nicely and dries the finish a bit. A really nice summer or morning beer. A little tiny tasting and slightly medicinal but overall I like it.

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: It has a nice orangy/pink color to it. It has a nice light pink head that dies down somewhat fast and leaves very little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of hibiscus, floral notes, berries and peaches.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some hibiscus, raspberries and cherries, a floral/spicy note, light peaches and some tartness.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 341 mL bottle into a rounded Heineken beer glass. Label indicates that it was bottled sometime in November 2012.

A-Pours an almost mauve colour with a short finger of pinkish head. Garnett highlights. Head diminishes rapidly leaving the top of the liquid with only partially covered with a thin skiff of foam. Lacing is prominent creating walls and broad lines, but it too drops quickly down the side of the glass.

S-Sweet red berries and floral notes...like an hibiscus obvs,

T-Freshly ground black pepper, cardamom or something similar, and sweet juices. Little or no hop derived bitterness, but there is a bit of a raspy/astringent kind of finish to it that makes me think of eating orange rind. Hints of spices I can't completely identify, but seems like cardamom or similar Indian spices.

M-Ebullient, slightly effervescent with an astringent finish. Light on the palate, but lingers long enough to savour the sweetness.

O-Different, refreshing, and somewhat exciting. A beer that makes you pine for warmer days, but is completely enjoyable in any setting. DDC manages to pull off the trick of subtle complexity with this beer. Nothing overwhelms the palate, but there is a lot to enjoy here. Wouldn't expect anything less from these guys at this point.

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a very unique colored pale rose with a pale white fizzy head that quickly dissipates. The scent is equally unique with a floral herbal character with notes of honey, and grapefruit. Very interesting scent and completely unique no doubt due to the hibiscus

The flavor is a little less intense, but the underlying floral quality is there with a slightly bitter herbal flavor. Very drinkable and would be pleasant in the summer. Light bodied mouthfeel and altogether ejyable, unique, but not overly remarkable.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a very attractive red-orange color, a thin fine and very white head. Looks like a rose champagne.

Smells like a rose champagne too! Kindof dry and sweet at the same time, hints of light red fruit (strawberry? tangerine?), floral notes but I don't think I would've identified hibiscus or even though this had added flowers.

Taste definitely has a floral thing going on, hibiscus is more obvious here, light strawberry/orange fruit again, slightly bitter and slightly sweet. Definitely a champagne like thing going on in all aspects of this beer too.

Mouthfeel is pretty good--fairly low carb, fairly dry feel, kindof wine like, or like a less carbonated champagne. I'm really surprised this is only 5% abv too, it's not hot or boozy but the wine like feel me taste definitely makes me think there's more alcohol.

Very interesting beer, not sure why it reminds me so much of champagne. I love beers with flowers added, this is no exception, unique and very enjoyable.

EDIT: ratings raised 8/4/2015. I get my ch more rose like flavor this time around. Also think I'm just even more of a sucker for flower beers now.

3.43/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2012)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

A very pretty pink rose in color, with only a whisper of near-white bubbles sitting atop. Very little visible carbonation, though the beer leaves pretty, irregular webs of sticky lace down the glass. Pretty.

Floral notes emerge immediately, along with a bit of a sweet red berry note--I'd say currant if given this blind, or an earthy raspberry. Very little else. What's here is nice though.

The flavor follows the aroma, with floral (rose) and light, sweet fruit (berry) notes complementing one another. Very low bitterness. There's a bit of an earthy, but very mild funk on the lingering finish.

Thin to medium bodied with very low carbonation. Perhaps more bubbles could help this one.

A nice, simple, floral, and sweet beer. Very drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours the colour of clear blush wine with no sediment and about 1 finger of white head which quickly dissapated to a thin microfoam veil.

S: Strong scents of hibiscus and sour fruits together with background notes of yeast and minerals. Similar to a dry blush wine.

T: Sour fruit together with yeast and minerals. Finishes very dry and tart.

M: Light mouthfeel together medium amount of carbonation.

O: Manages to stradle the line between beer and a blush wine. Very drinkable and would pair excentlely with fish.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

330 ml bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours hazy orange copper color with a small white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of pear, grape, herbal, cherry, caramel, pepper, clove, wheat, hibiscus, and yeast spices. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity. Taste of pear, cherry, lemon zest, strawberry, wheat, herbal, floral, earth, pepper, and yeast spices. Light tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruit, wheat, herbal, floral, earth, and yeast spices on the finish for a bit. Nice balance and complexity of flavors; no cloying sweetness at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with no warming noticed at all after the finish. Overall this is a very good witbier style. Nice flavor balance and complexity; very smooth to drink. Quite enjoyable. Would be a nice summer beer if it wasn’t priced like it is.

Rosée D'hibiscus from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!