Paienne - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 88 | Reviews: 51
2.06/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Saw a lonely bottle of this at Premier Wine and Spirits. Given that I haven't tried it before, I of course picked it up. Bottle on date is August 16th, 2009

Pours a cloudy pale color, somewhere in between a pink grapefruit and gold straw. 2 fingers of thick white head that was fairly long lasting.

Scent is of damp, yet freshly mown, grass. Some other scents, such as carrot and wheat are also present.

Taste pretty much follows suit with the grassy/veggy/wheat flavor. Veggie flavors are a bit overwhelming, and I can't make out any other flavors

I found it somewhat harsh and not at all smooth. Wheat/grass flavor kinda lingers in the mouth for quite a while, and any burps make me feel like I had been chewing grass or wheat earlier.

I found one glass barely drinkable the first time around. Wouldn't consider trying a second glass. I am a fan of a lot of Brasserie Dieu du Ciel's stuff, but this certainly isn't one of them.

2.35/5  rDev -34.5%

Bottle- A pale straw pour emits a fluffy white foam. Grassy nose is also grainy and has an aroma of cooked vegetable as well. Sweet grainy flavour upfront, overly grassy, tastes of weird biscuit. Strange stuff overall. Creamy finish with odd aftertaste too. Proof that great breweries also make a crappy beer or two.

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with an average foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of grainy malt with some lightly sweet notes and no discernable hops. Taste is also dominated by some bland grainy malt with very little other characteristics. I understand that this is their entry beer but some additional complexity would have been welcomed.

2.55/5  rDev -29%

A - Straw golden in colour with a one finger creamy head and medium carbonation. Unfiltered.

S - Candy sweetness, sweet spice, bubblegum and bright fruits.

T - Sweet spice shows up again but most from the aroma isn't present. Sweet grainniness is there too but goes way over the top pushing any possibility of complexity or quality to the wayside to create an easy drinking blonde ale.

M - Light body. Creamy.

D - No thanks. Maybe I'm drinking this too warm but this is nothing great and I almost had to force myself to get through it.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

This came in a 12-pack I picked up on my honeymoon in Montreal. It's a pretty beer- I'm partial to cloudiness. A great straw/grass smell with a little green veggie in there.

Unfortunately, the veggie comes out quite a bit in the taste, though. It's a bit too much. I really love this brewery and their pub in Montreal, but what's going on here?

If not for the veggie taste, this would be a pretty good beer. It goes down smoothly with a little hop bite in the finish. Can't say much for drinkability though- I taste peas a little more with each sip.

2.8/5  rDev -22%

A disappointment to me, since I had so many positives to say about the rest of their brews (that I've tried).
This one was pale yellow; straw colored.
The problem is, for me, it was also straw flavored. Not that I eat straw, but I imagine this is what straw might taste like. Grassy, not sweet, musty.
I thought maybe it was a bad bottle but my other one (in a combo pack) was the same way. Bad batch, then, or maybe just not my cup of straw...er, tea.
I did finish it, and the carbonation/ mouthfeel was spot-on, but I couldn't get over the odd flavor.

3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance was slightly dark golden color with a medium sized white head. Good lacing.

Aroma was quite light and I couldn't get much out of it.

Taste was light with some citrus coming through and mild hops. Again, nothing much there but nothing bad either.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with decent cleansing ability.

Overall, a decent APA but nothing I would want to have again. There are much better beers at Dieu Du Ciel so there is no need to settle for an average brew.

3.11/5  rDev -13.4%

Got as an extra in a trade with phyl21ca - many thanks! Poured from a 341ml bottle into a pint glass. The side of the label had notches from month and year bottled (Nov 08). It was a hazy straw color with a ton of carbonation. Some quick sliding lace. It had a large foamy white head that slowly settled into a thin collar and broken foam.

The aroma was grassy and grainy malt. No real hop presence. Disappointing. The taste was equally disappointing. Again very heavy on grain with no hop presence. More like a BMC pilsner than an APA. Good carb in the mouthfeel.

Overall, a rather disappointing beer from a great brewery. One and done for me. Don't recommend as there as too many other good beers out there.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%

Served for a short duration at Mondiale 2005 on the first night. Light mouthfeel, quite blond with good head. Some hops and bitterness. An average beer that is often exceeded by everything else I have had by them. Was a bit of the warm side on a hot day, which did not contribute.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%

This is their "introduction" beer. Is it designed to convert Labatt or Molson drinkers?? Could very well be, with it's golden color, light body, and very sweet (some corn thrown in here?) malty taste. Not a bad brew... maybe a necessary evil.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle dated 08/2009. Very happy for the bottling date.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow with big creamy white head. Smell is of belgian yeast and a hint of tropical fruit. Smelling some pineapple in this. Taste is a little bland and bready. Not too much going on here. The yeast dominates the beer. The mouthfeel is under-carbed. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing and very easy to drink.

Enjoyable but nothing special compared to the rest of their stellar lineup.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

Bright yellow in color with white head (good retention). Fairly clear with a constant stream of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Aroma is very pleasant. At first whiff I was reminded of pink grapefruit. My it seems that mostly it's grassy hoppy notes. At first sip this ale seemed too bitter making it a bit harsh, but as it warmed up a bit bitterness subsided bringing cereal grains forward. I still find it a bit harsh - mouthfeel and drinkability suffer. Overall this beer doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't mind trying it again outside on a hot day, but more often I would probably reach out to other Dieu Du Ciel beers.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

This batch was upped to 5.5%ABV. Translucent, dull-golden body with a thin cover of bright-white head. Little bits of lacing.

Smells like beer really. Wheaty grain, light earthy/floral hops, light pale malt. Nothing special.

The flavour profile is simple but fresh and well put together. Noticeable wheat, light earthy and floral hops and slight hints at citrus and nuts. Soft, lingering hop bitterness.

The feel might be the standout feature of this beer: solid medium body and an appropriate medium carbonation. Your standard blonde ale doesn't always have such a nice feel.

I guess this is Dieu de Ciel's shot at a beer for the masses? As a middle-of-the-road blonde ale I suppose it's decent and certainly better than anything similar produced by a macro brewery. Drinkable enough, though not one I'll be picking up again.

3.44/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Pagan.

Pours an apple-juice yellow with an inch of pearl-white head. American-clear. Nice lacing.

Very light malt aroma and taste. Pleasant mouthfeel with just a hint of hop-bitterness. Almost deliberately devoid of flavor, juxtaposed against other DDC beers but.

It's not my favorite style of beer, but I'd take this any day over a domestic Blonde.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Paienne from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel