Blanche Du Paradis - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Blanche Du ParadisBlanche Du Paradis

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002)
4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

What a beautiful Witte Beer! I've never had a White beer taste or smell like this before! Peppery, hazy, unfilitered, and amazingly complex. This is a White beer with huevos, unlike any I've ever had before. Very dank. Highly recommended, and extremely refreshing. Chris

Delerium, Jun 02, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

I love a good white beer, and this is a good white beer. I had this a few times, as I was on a beer holiday and I needed something on the lighter side, but with taste. It was a pale yellow colour, cloudy, with a big fluffy white head. It smelled spicy and light, a bit lemony/ citrusy. Tasted like your typical belgian white- fruity, spicy, wheaty. It was very smooth going down too, soft and silky in your mouth. Drinkability is excellent, as it's so simply refreshing and complex at the same time, just a wonderful beer by DDC.

erica, Jun 17, 2004

vielma, Sep 03, 2013

Will12, Mar 24, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Pale yellow with a nice off-white head that lasts and leaves nice lacing as well. The aroma screams classic Quebecois wit. Orange peel, coriander, yeast complexities, wheat, and spicy/herbal-floral hops. The taste is spicy up front with some spicy hops in the middle and a dry slightly hoppy and fruity finish. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing and the drinkability is very, very good. A very refreshing witbier. One of the best in Montreal.

francisweizen, Jun 23, 2004
4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

On-tap at the Manhattan Ginger Man.

A: Extremely pale straw body with a thin, fine, sticky white head. Good lace. Attractive.

S: Very light, bright, and herbal, with plenty of orange peel and some prominent clove spice. Excellent.

T: Follows the nose, with a terrific balance of spice, flowers, citrus, and wheat malt. A bit of cotton candy and minerality as well. Very fresh and tasty.

M: Light, lively, and creamy. Great.

O: Wonderful Witbier, among the best I've ever had. Highly recommended if you're in the mood for something refreshing.

Cheers!

woosterbill, May 20, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

This was the best beer on when we visited in April. Clear straw color when served, but it came with an awesome peppery aroma. Low to no head meant no lacing when we were through. Taste was a bit sweet, but with an awesome black peper aftertaste. This was my first 'pepper' encounter, and I enjoyed it very much.

PatandDavid, Jul 03, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours out a hazed honey apricot in appearance, creamy white head that settles to a thick cap.

Aroma is simply gorgeous, light wheat, floral notes, very subtle citrus and spice, some peach yogurt.

The flavour is also elegant, subtle, contained yet with all the right goods in all the right places. Tangy wheat and citrus, light fruity middle, tart citrus and floral finish, crisp and dry, aftertaste is a short lingering of citrus zest.

Mouthfeel is light with just the right amount of carbonation, dry and crisp and very refreshing.

It's been a while since I've sampled a beer that's impressed me so much that hasn't hit me on the head and knocked me on my ass, and the refinement of this beautiful witbier makes a perfect reality check. Subtle, enticing, this wit is like the love of your life blowing you a kiss.

IronDjinn, Jun 23, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

11.5 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a short white head that doesn't last long, Carbonation is heavy - on close inspection it looks sort of like heavy rain upside down. Lacing moderate. I like the look of this beer.

Aroma: Smells of lemon, orange, wheat, spices, and some faint grass. One of those rare beers that actually smells like what its ad copy says it'll smell like.

Taste: Oh my. This beer is the McCoy. (Sorry, le McCoy.) Big, pronounced flavors follow the nose. Lemon and spices lead the way. Gets more complex as it warms. More of the citrus and spice notes make themselves present over the course of the drink. Very nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Perfect depth - easy and refreshing, too.

Overall: I'm glad I bought this on impulse - it's a terrific witbier. I paired it with polenta, tomatoes, basil and kale and it made for an ideal summer meal. I would describe this as a beer to seek out - I definitely want to try more from this brewery. Would consider a visit when next I'm in Montreal. And that's all on the strength of this one beer.

illpass78, Jul 13, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured with a moderate-sized, white head that hung around for a while before fading to a thin film. Body is light yellow and hazy.

S: Perfumey aroma with the expected coriander and citrus notes, but everything is nicely balanced, with nothing overwhelming at all.

T: Just as nicely balanced as the aroma... the spiciness and orange complement each other well. Not sickening at all, like some Witbiers tend to be. Touch of refreshing tartness in the finish.

M: Body is light-moderate, with moderate-high carbonation.

D: A very refreshing Witbier... one of the better examples of the style that I've had.

berley31, Feb 12, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Should I review this?? I snagged enough of my wife's 16 oz serving, so it's okay. A beautiful drink. I am not the biggest fan of the style, but this one is a classic. Truly refreshing. This brew has a lot of citrus with the spice to match (I hate overly spices whites). I really wish this was my local... maybe I'll have to learn French!! Smokes the Hoegaarden I was sipping at Le Festival du Jazz IMO.

beerboy21, Jul 14, 2002
4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very nice beer.
It is quite pale, in color, and has a tight white head that dissipates quickly.
Kind of spicy, in a citrus-y way-- I thought grapefruit at first, then peach, but my brother-in-law had a sip and said that grapefruit was right.
Not my favorite style of beer, by a long shot, but a strong reason to become a fan of this style. I was very impressed.

MAB, Oct 14, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a nice turbid yellow with a 1/8 inch of bright white head. Not a lot of lacing. Good retention though.

Nice fresh orange and coriander nose with a hint of nutmeg or cinnamon, rose petals, hay, and some creamy banana and just a slight trace of saddle leather.

The taste is lemony orange, toasty with nice wheatiness throughout and a soft herbal hopping with a nice tart finish and a tangy wetness in the aftertaste.

This beer is refreshing but perhaps just a tad thin in the mouthfeel.

I reckon I could drink a mess of these all summer long. Dieu Du Ciel seldom miss the mark over a broad range of styles, and this is no exception.

MeisterBurger, Oct 30, 2009

saeh, Nov 06, 2013

Evil_Pidde, May 14, 2013

schnarr84, Sep 01, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Semi-translucent pale yellow with good carbonation, but very little head to be seen.

S- Belgian spices, cloves first and then others that I can't pick out. More of a sweet beer.

T- Fit's the bill of a normal Witbier and then adds Belgian-like spicing to it. Elegantly done, and works well together. Leaves on of my favorite sweet tastes, that I've encountered in beer. As soon as it goes down you encounter a fruity banana taste, which was spiced pretty much flawlessly IMO, accompanied by the slightest amount of what I would guess to be orange rind. After it's down you're left with an aftertaste of mixed fruits minus all the sweetness. I found that it pulled off a good amount of sweetness without becoming overwhelming, and I've never been a fan of much sweetness.

M- I would say that it's a little more full than the average body, and is nice and creamy too. Carbonation may have been just a tad too light. Feels great regardless.

D- A very refreshing brew, and one of my favorite Witbiers. They took a style which doesn't impress me too much and made something I quite enjoy out of it. Would definitely recommend this to any Witbier fans, and suggest trying it regardless. I wasn't looking forward to this one, but it was surprisingly good.

EDIT: I may have had a new more recent version of this. It just became available in the LCBOs and it was 5.5% rather than 5%.

BBP, Sep 21, 2010

Wow.

Pour a hefty murky light yellow with alot of haze, amasing carbonation and a thick lush cloudy head that actualy laces on the glass in thick crusters of foam.

Aroma of wheat bread, coriander and curacao. Awesome over the top orange pith flavor that melds with a sweet wheat and malt backbone and a note of spice.

This and paienne are now my top 2 Dieu du Ciel beers, unbeleivably drinkable, just plain awesome.

bloberglawp, Nov 08, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a murky pale golden yellow with a white fizzy head that faded over time, and started at about 1.5 fingers. Appearance is appropriate and appetizing, but nothing great.

Right off the bat in the nose I get citrus, coriander, and bready yeast. I also get some slight peppery notes in the aroma. The citrus that comes out in the nose has some orange in it, but is predominantly lemon. I also get a little bit of apple and pear.

The taste is not quite what I expected but really good nonetheless. This witbier is very spice forward. The most predominant flavour that will hit you at first is coriander, white pepper, and some floral hops. Not as sweet as a lot of white beers. On the other hand I do get a touch of pear sweetness and a bit of bready malt backbone. And a slight bit of tartness at the finish. Leaves a very distinctive spice linger.

Mouthfeel is lightbodied, with moderate carbonation.

Overall, a pretty damn good Witbier, and definitely one of the better ones I have, not to mention most distinctive. This beer reminds me of the Hitachino Witbier in that while the Hitachino really puts tartness upfront, this one puts the spices upfront to a greater extent than I have tasted in a witbier.

QuestionableScum, Apr 01, 2011

330ml bottle july 19 2009

A pale golden yellow with some friends floating around as if they are suspended in jello

S like a this style should banana, clove, and herbs faint lemon loved the nose on this beer, love dieu du ciel only just getting to know these guys and very impressed

T like it smells but i thought the flavors would be stronger, this being said still quite lovely

F/D good carbonation, feels good and sinking fast, the hot sun goes well with this. well done DDC

wordemupg, Jul 20, 2009