Charbonniere - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

CharbonniereCharbonniere

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Smoked Beer |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002)
laituegonflable

Australia

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a burnished brown colour with lacklustre beige head. Lace is something else - spectacular, letting me know this coal lady has a great body (what coal lady doesn't?), but head could stick around a bit more. I prefer my coal ladies to have heads. Body is clear with no real bead. Overall decent.

Smell is smoke-tastic. A lot of charred meat, bacon and just good old wood smoke on there. Slight cheesiness to it. Not a lot else, maybe a slight fruity tang, but yeah lots of meaty smoke. Simple but good.

Taste is quite charry. Has a slight spice at the front with mild caramel malt character. Smoke doesn't hit you until the mid-palate but then it's there, woody and meaty, with lots of that charcoaly, ashy, peaty flavour coming through on the back. Really cuts through that glazed meat character to leave a smokey bitterness that is surprisingly refreshing. I think I'm getting to the stage where I've tried enough smoked beers to "get it" and they need to offer me something special. This is a very decent example, well constructed palate.

Mouthfeel is a bit harsh around the edges but nice amount of body. Goes down roughly, but overall makes me feel alright.

Definitely couldn't slam a smoked beer at the best of times. This is okay, but drinkable is not the word that springs to mind.

08-20-2010 03:39:22 | More by laituegonflable
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.25/5  rDev +13%

On tap at Sydney's Local Taphouse for the Canadian SpecTapular.

Lightish red-amber hue, with a fine but slightly filmy head of white bubbling. Some fine carbonation, but not a lot. Looks decent without being exceptional.

Definitely lots of smoke on the nose, but it's a big peaty and earthy kind of smoke aroma. Even a little roasted grain coming through. All of this succeeds in balancing the nose quite well. Very nice.

Taste is superb. A really big and robust smoke presence throughout, matched with some fresh, green, slightly herbaceous characters, and a light drying of the palate to create some crispness on the back. Smoke continues to the end though, leaving a lingering whisper of wood-fire and turned earth. All too often the smoke in a beer appears on the nose, but gets lost on the palate. This one is a winner.

A really wonderful smoked beer, full of flavour and very classic.

08-17-2010 01:42:27 | More by lacqueredmouse
BearsOnAcid

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Man, this beer was delicious!

Pour out a clear brown with an off white head. Smelled like smoked bacon, salami, and caramel malts. The taste as packed with a huge smoked meat taste. Very smooth and not overpowering though. The flavor lasted a while after you swallowed and you get a nice integration of a campfire flavor and brown malts. I wish this beer wasn't so thin. I would've liked it to have some more body. This was definitely one of the best smoked beers I've had and I'm not a very big fan of the style.

08-12-2010 14:37:34 | More by BearsOnAcid
spinrsx

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - medium brown, decent size foamy off white head, can't see much carbonation. A fair amount of lacing.

Smell - well, smoked malts.. caramel, hops. Saw someone else compare this to a camp fire smell - I couldn't agree more.

Taste & Mouth - really smoked tasting.. for some reason its comes through as meaty to me. Almost like a piece of smoked brisket. Also fruitiness, coffee beans, and a slightly bitter hop finish. Also something musty, call me crazy but do I taste blue cheese?

Drink - This is definitely an interesting beer, but not my sort of thing. Points for originality, but lacks drinkability. 1 is more than enough.

08-10-2010 23:06:59 | More by spinrsx
SilentBob2u2

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

7/17/10

My buddy brought this back from Montreal for me and buddies to try. We had never heard of the beer nor the brewery before, it was all in french except "smoked malt beverage", which I think is why he picked it up...

C - deep brown amber, not cloudy at all and crisp for the color.

S - Smoke from a campfire and coffee.

M - should be heavier that it is. It's got a light feel to it, almost crisp. The viscosity of a pale ale with the backside of a heavier cream ale.

T - it taste's of smoke and coffee. My taste buds fight over which flavor they will hang onto in the after-taste. the coffee and smoke don't exactly go well together for the after taste, that's why I say they are fighting over which flavor will linger. However, for a craft brewer to do this is very much a skill, which is commendable.

D - my buddy says he could drink 3, however, I I know I can only handle one. It's not heavy but I think the smoke coffee flavor just isn't my cup of tea so to speak.

I have to give it credit by saying that they tackled this beer really well for what it is. It's damn close to being really good, but falls just a tad short.

07-21-2010 17:28:32 | More by SilentBob2u2
plaid75

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

On draft at The Blind Tiger, NYC.

Poured a deep amber hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a meaty smoke.

The taste was upfront salty smoke with a lingering spiciness. A touch of thin grain detected toward the finish.

The mouthfeel was a touch thin.

Overall a nice smoke beer. God spice as well.

06-07-2010 21:36:58 | More by plaid75
zhooker

4.1/5  rDev +9%

From tap to a 12oz white wine glass. Dark amber and opaque, with a clean filtered look. Healthy head that dissipated quickly, but left some pretty lacing.

The smell is, well, unmistakeably a rauchbier aroma. The following comment may seem sacrilegious, and it definitely reveals my former teenage snack food preferences -- but the first thing that always comes to mind when I whiff a rauchbier is the classic Slim Jim. Fortunately this is not accompanied by a screaming Macho Man Randy Savage. Back to the aroma -- smoky, meaty, a little sour.

The smoke owns the flavors here. Not nearly as strong or forward as the great Bamberg Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, but definitely thick and meaty.

Smooth mouthfeel, surprisingly crisp on the tongue.

This was my first from Dieu du Ciel, and I was overall impressed. I would much prefer this to the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, which is a little too overwhelming to enjoy an entire bottle of. However, the smokiness is still very much more pronounced than something like Stone's Smoked Porter, or other beers where the smoke flavor is just an addition (opposed to the centerpiece). Would only recommend to those familiar with rauchbiers, but because of its mildness, serves as an excellent introduction to the style.

05-24-2010 11:50:03 | More by zhooker
Long813

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Dated: 02/11
From: Premier Wine & Spirits, 341ml

A: Opaque dark brown body with one finger of slightly off-white head. Head dissipates quickly into a thin ring and leaves blotchy lacing

S: Burnt wood, smoked meat and hints a caramel. This is weaker on the smoked meats than any other smoked beer I've tried. All the aromas in general don't come off that strong.

T: Caramel and burnt wood and some smoked meat follows. Flavours are also quite weak, but pleasant. Some nice bitterness at that end.

M: Medium-light bodied and lots of carbonation. Water like texture and leaves a distinct wood-like dry finish.

D: This definitely takes a different approach on the style. It's much easier to drink than the other because it's not as strong, but I feel like it's a little to weak. Good beer to try, but nothing else.

05-23-2010 21:00:53 | More by Long813
bobsy

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

TJ hooked me up with this one - thanks man! Shared it with Eric and some delicious burgers.

Pours a deep oak with a small cream coloured film that persists and leaves a few lace spots. Unlike a rauchbier like Schlenkerla, this is less meaty in its smoke aroma, and more like a campfire. Light rye bread underneath, but mostly just smoke and minerals, which is good for the style. Smoke and ash dominate against lightly bready malts and a mineral backdrop. Its strength lies in its simplicity - there's not much there, but what there is works. Body is a touch on the light side, but makes the whole experience highly drinkable.

Not bad at all, and a nice pairing with our food. Its certainly very drinkable for a fairly one-dimensional beer.

05-10-2010 19:27:28 | More by bobsy
ritzkiss

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz bottle shared by Bobsy, thanks man!

Pours a light rusty brown with a smattering of bubbles which stick around, seems a little light for what I would go for...

Smoke jumps out of the nose, more campfire than smoked meat, just a hint of hickory and ash. A bit of minerally malt, just a hint of biscuit.

Very well integrated smoke, doesn't overwhelm like some. Helped out by a nice grassy, minerally hop bitterness in the finish which, when paired with the malt base, almost reminds me of an alt + smoke. A little thin in the body but the lack of heft makes this more of a plain ol' drinker, especially with the well integrated smoke. Would gladly drink it again, paired well with BBQ. Thanks Robbo!

05-10-2010 18:03:31 | More by ritzkiss
eat

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Charbonniere is an opaque, dark brown and maintains a good cover of bubbly cream-white head. Decent lacing.

Smells of smoked sausage, campfire, cardboard and dark malt with German hops and dark, fermenting fruit in the background. Fairly similar to Aecht Schlenkerla, though not as powerful or as well balanced. Still, quite nice.

Again, there are similarities to Aecht Schlenkerla in the flavour but it's not pulled off quite as well. Up front there is a good amount of campfire smoke, though it's pretty smoothed out. Other than the decent smokiness, there's not much of interest. Some dark malt which, again, could be increased. Dark, earthy German hops on the finish, along with a good kick of alcohol, which is too present for the ABV, feeling every bit of its 5.4%.

The feel is acceptable but plain. Your standard medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Slightly bitter finish, though not drying. Nothing special.

This could be even more drinkable than Aecht Schlenkerla, in spite of being a lesser beer overall. Especially drinkable as a smoked beer, I could session this if I felt like something smoky. This would actually be great to drink a bunch of while sitting around a fire on a cool summer evening.

05-10-2010 04:15:43 | More by eat
Phyl21ca

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle: Poured an amber color ale with a large off-white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of smoked wood with caramel malt in the background. Taste is also a nice mix between some deep smoky notes and smoked salmon with some lightly sweet caramel malt. Body is about average with good carbonation. Very well done with nice balance between the smoke and the malt bill.

05-01-2010 02:52:08 | More by Phyl21ca
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Thanks to Meisterburger for this one:

Poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass this is a slightly reddish dark brown beer with a reasonable head. What you really notice is the intense smoky nose that grabs your attention. The beer is a solid ale with all sorts of smoked malt. The finish is dry and the smoke lingers on your tongue. Great beer as I love smoked beer and cheese. Goes well with Morrocan Lamb Stew

04-29-2010 00:46:43 | More by canucklehead
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

341ml bottle poured into DDC tulip april 21 2010

A clear deep amber with lots of bubbles floating up to half a glass of light tan head that has great retention and leaves a few partial rings of lace. the foam ever so slowly falls to a island but I finish the beer before its gone

S an earthy, woody, smokey smell like your wool sweater after sitting next to a campfire all night, perhaps a little smoked meat is hiding in there to

T all the things I smell but just a little weaker in the mouth, I also pick up on a little chocolate that was no where to be found on the nose

M thick enough to please and it fluffs up a bit in your mouth due to decent carbonation

D no issues with this beer interesting at the very least, I'm not sure if this is something I would drink all day in the hot summer sun but it would be an ideal treat sitting in the back yard at sundown

thanks hoser for this one and the glass I poured it in to for that matter. my only regret with this beer is I have no BBQ to pair with it and no campfire to hypnotize me while I drink it

04-21-2010 19:10:24 | More by wordemupg
MeisterBurger

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a rich mahogany with a healthy, frothy white head that laces nicely.

It smells like my clothes the morning after a night spent sitting around a campfire.

It tastes like a century's old woodland cabin that has been heated by a wood burning stove. Very smokey, like charred driftwood in that it has a very dry, wooden smokey lingering aftertaste. Somewhat reminiscent of maple smoked ham. A nice beer for those who like smokey tastes, but it's lacking a strong malt presence that would take the edge off of the bitterness and smoke, which is most of what I get from this.

Mouthfeel is light, it's well attenuated, but there's a lack of residual sweetness that would take the edge off the bitter smokiness.

Not a bad beer and I won't trash it. I suspect that those who like bitter smokey beers will love this. I'm just not sure I'm one of them.

04-21-2010 01:33:48 | More by MeisterBurger
papat444

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Enjoyed last night with my supper, hamburgers from the barbecue & macaroni salad.

Poured from a 341ml. bottle, bottled March 2010 (or maybe Feb. as the notch is ambiguous).

Appearance: Massive head, light tan in color. Opaque brown body that looks dark and inviting.

Smell: I get lots of smoke though not overbearing with traces of hickory and beef jerky. My wife smells smoked gouda which is quite true.

Taste: Good smokiness that isn't overdone. Wisps of wood and more gouda with a solid malt body. Different but good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Really good balance. It could have been overdone for the smoke but instead a great complicity is struck. Average carbonation and a very comfortable body in the palate.

Drinkability: Yes, i'd have another. I liked it enough to go back again for this beer.

Overall: I'm not usually attracted to smoke beer but i found this beer to be really good and would recommend it if you can handle a moderate smoky presence.

04-11-2010 19:03:01 | More by papat444
ZorPrime

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

A new bottled beer from DDC... I'm so happy.

Dark color beer. It is dark brown with a creamy head on top. As usual with this brewery, the head stick well to the glass. The aroma is smoked!... wow I like this. I get some bacon in there too. No hops. On the taste side, it is smoked again. Everywhere from start to finish. More like a smoked wood than bacon, however. The taste is better than the smell. A bitterness in the end, however it is not strong. One good thing is the taste lingers in the mouth for a good amount of time. We note also the carbonation in the mouth. A good smoked beer.

03-28-2010 19:25:16 | More by ZorPrime
Seanstoppable

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

First foray into smoked beers.

Pours a reddish brown color with plenty of head. Plenty of lacing left as well.

Nice smoky scent.

Taste is of more smoke, with some minor malt characteristics. Fairly straightforward. Finish is a bit dry, with the smokiness lingering.

Very interesting overall, but I probably wouldn't have more than one in a sitting. Best use would be as an accompaniment for food, such as stew or chili. Better yet, as an additive for making food, such as part of a marinade for the grill, or as part of a stir fry (which I used it in this evening).

03-28-2010 02:09:01 | More by Seanstoppable
Yoonisaykul

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Dirty-white consistant head. Liquid is a very dark reddish amber with lots of bubbles throughout. Looks like heady coke. Lacing is great.

S- Wet wood ashes.

T- Smoke. A little sour. Also tastes like water and smoke so the smell isn't that far off. I wish there was more. I had this at room temperature and didn't find anything special.

M- Thin and carbonated. I guess it works well to ease off the smokiness but it makes it feel a little cheap though it does foam up nicely in mouth.

D- I've had a few smoked beers but never find them too drinkable. I guess this is one of the better ones.

EDIT: Since my review, I've downed a four pack of this and am really starting to enjoy it. I never wanted to buy smoked beers before and I just might be starting a craving for them. This is good beer.

03-11-2010 21:49:57 | More by Yoonisaykul
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

This beer appears a clear medium copper hue, with a small amount of thin white head, and no lace. It smells like smoked wood, very much like the smokiness in smoked salmon, and a very subdued caramel malt. The taste is smoky roasted sweet caramel malt. The carbonation is moderate, the body oily, and a bit cloying, and it finishes dry, smoke in the throat style.

Don't know why this isn't classified as a rauchbier, as the maltiness is quite thoroughly overshadowed by the ingrained smokiness.

08-09-2009 06:07:44 | More by biboergosum
smcolw

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a neutral amber with little haze. Nearly no head nor lace.

Smells like a "saicisse" (sausage); yes, there's smoke but it's appealing rather than distracting.

This starts off malt but goes to all smoke quickly. Good body with a relatively low level of carbonation. This is a beer that'll grow on you.

08-23-2008 21:16:58 | More by smcolw
rodenbach99

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

au fût à la brasserie

belle bière cuivrée claire où un col épais et blanc trône, le nez de cette bière fumée est évidemment très fumé, mais très fumé, en bouche c'est la même chose une bonne pale ale, avec des goût de fumé très prononcé. pour amateur de bière fumée !!!

12-29-2007 02:11:34 | More by rodenbach99
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at the brewpub. I wias looking forward to this one. Standard amber colour with good clarity and white head. You can definitely pick up the wisp of smoke in the nose. Just like a recently snuffed out campfire. Taste is more moderate than I thought it would be. The smoke is definitely there, but not in your face or harsh. I don’t pick up much in the hop department, just a mildly smokey, easy driking amber ale. Would have been nice to spend more time there and settle into a couple of these.

10-10-2007 21:38:57 | More by oakbluff
3Vandoo

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Belgian Dark Ale or Raunchbier?

Brownish, reddish beer who is quite limpid abords a great nice foamy head that kept itself long enought.

Smell of of smoked malt, smoked bbq flavours, smoke and woods with a shy hoppy and yeasty finish.

Tastw wise, the smoked flavours hits you but are quite balanced betweem the smokiness, hops and yeasty spicy flavours. Shy BBQ flavours such as hickory. Well balanced

06-29-2007 07:19:17 | More by 3Vandoo
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

They actually import the smoked malt from Bamberg for its conistency & quality (they did try smoking the malt themselves).

A: Copper-amber, fluffy off-white head, some retention, good lace.

S: Smoke & spice, like a sausage (or rauchebier from Bamberg). :D

T: Bready malt, smoke & spice, underlying caramel, good bitter balance, slight grainyness.

M: Moderate body with a smooth/prickly opposition, moderate carbonation, some residual sugar but has a dry finish.

D: An approachable smoked beer.

05-14-2007 01:53:36 | More by Derek