Solstice D'été Aux Framboises - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

Quebec, Canada

Berliner Weissbier |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-14-2002

Berliner weiss with raspberries.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to papat44 for this bottle.
Raspberry version. Poured in to Founder's tulip glass.

A - Medium opaque raspberry red colour with one finger of creme soda coloured head that disappeared almost immediately.

S - Raspberry jam, tartness and a subdued sweetness.

T - Tart raspberry, faint bready notes and an ever so slight sweetness in the middle followed by a dry, tart finish. A noticeable acidity is evident throughout but the sweetness cuts through it with perfect balance.

M - Medium body. Light to moderate carbonation. (533 characters)

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Bottle from freud, 341ml into a tulip and shared (albeit sparingly) with my girlfriend. Bottled June 2011, thanks Fred!

Poured a dark red with some lighter red and pinkish hues; opaque and unfiltered. Big fluffy pink head of several fingers; moderate retention. Nose is bright, with fresh raspberries, wheat and some lactic notes. Taste is tart initially, with lactic notes coating the mouth before revealing the raspberries. Some light acetic acid makes a brief appearance. Light green apple and a good body provided by an abundance of wheat. Body has a good weight to it. High carbonation which bubbles away leaving the raspberries and some slight tartness hanging around on the palate. Had to swirl this down just a bit to get it to a slightly better carbonation (personal preference), but it was great as is. A solid fruit beer, perfect all around for summer imbibing. I could enjoy this quite often given the opportunity. (927 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A huge thanks to Luk (Luk13) for this great extra. Cheers! 341ml bottle listed at 5.9abv.

Appearance – Pours a brilliant red/dark pink color into a tulip. When held up to the light, the red is luminous, and one can observe some sediment chilling in the bottom of the glass. About a finger of pink head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving slight lacing.

Smell – A wonderfully intoxicating nose filled with fresh tart raspberries. There are some floral notes, a sweet backbone, and a tartness.

Taste – Oh wow. The nose on this led me to believe this might be somewhat similar in taste to Blushing Monk. Heck no. This has an immediate mouth puckering effect as I take the first sip. Loads of tart raspberries, and honestly not much of a sweetness to the flavor (though it does come through just a hint at the end). However, while the flavor is unlike Blushing Monk, this beer is similar to the aforementioned beer in the fact it is somewhat one dimensional. It is heavy on the raspberry and wheat, but not much else comes through. Nevertheless, it works for this beer. While BM became somewhat cloying at the end, this beer, with its refreshing tartness/lactic sourness rather than sweetness, makes me smack my lips after every sip all the way to the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, almost creamy, slightly prickly carbonation, finishes quite dry.

Overall – I like experiencing new beers. I love being surprised by new beers. This beer is no exception. When Luk gave it to me as an extra, I decided to hold off for a bit to try it knowing I would probably enjoy it. I am very happy I was not let down. I can only hope this beings to be imported to the United States (I believe it is only available in Canada as of now). If so, I would buy as much of this as I could. Fantastic. (1,828 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

341ml bottle into abbey glass 17/7/11

A nearly red with a short lived noisy, fizzy head that leaves no head or lace, I love the color though, gotta hand it to the color though, impressive without dye

S I don't get much, but what I get I love... raspberry, but real raspberry, slightly jammy with some yeast perhaps. Not much for complexity but it has what it needs and it has it big

T I get ultra tart, super dry raspberry and not much else, its pure real raspberry, not the sweet syrupy flavor we associate with the berry itself, but a nearly ripe fresh raspberry but with zero sugar

M prepare for a little pucker, leaves a little behind on your gums and there's a lingering tingle as if I'm allergic to it

O love the color and it made a great breakfast beer, I thought I was drinking a ultra light beer and I'm surprised its 5.9%

couldn't think of anything better at 10am, props to hoser for getting the day off to a good start (937 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solstice d'ete (aux Framboises - raspberry version) 341ml bottle shared by Luk/Julien/Gabe thanks guys!
Listed as 5.9 abv, this beer pours a super vibrant red with shades of pink and appears more red than Gambrinus or any other beer with raspberries that I've seen. The smell and taste are the same in terms of fruit foward raspberries as it almost seems you're drinking carbonated sour raspberry juice most of the time. There is some hearty wheat in the nose as well, while the lactic sourness is very refreshing when combined with the perfectly ripened raspberry flavor. I don't normally like to compare within a review, but this beer is basically what I had expected Bottleworks XII to be. Instead it is simple, but simply delicious. (736 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

MY 1000TH BEER PIC!!! or it was until i lost a beer pic somewhere :(

***Raspberry version (5,9% ABV)***

Poured from a 341ml. bottle, bottled June 2011.

Appearance: Pureed raspberry colored body with a pink head. Completely cloudy with bubbling foam filling half the glass. Retention is good as is the lacing.

Smell: Killer! Fresh raspberries with wheat but the raspberry steals the show. More sweet than tart. The aroma reminds me of picking raspberries in our yard and also brings memories of picking them with my grandmother when i was young.

Taste: Major raspberry presence without being fruity. More tart than sour. Not mouth puckering but does leave its stamp. Ripe raspberries dominate and even manages to capture that acidic side without overdoing it. Sweetness sneaks in there around the end.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation with a smooth body. Very zesty and alive.

Overall: One of my favorite DDC beers. Raspberries are my favorite fruit and this beer really lets them shine. While certainly tart, it still is a world-class brew and is worth driving 2+ hours round trip to the brewery to get. (1,105 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Mondial de la Biere. This puppy is the blueberry version, and was described to me as a berlinerweisse with added blueberry. Nice!

Slightly cloudy red pour with a bubbly off-white head taht left some streaks of lace. Fresh blueberry aromas mix with tart wheat and lemons. Flavour is great. Has a really good tang to it, with the sharpness of the berliner getting into a bitch-slapping contest with the blueberries. Tastes very refreshing and works as a good palate cleanser. Reminded me a little of blueberry lemonade, which makes sense considering. Light body with a nice spritzy carbonation adds to the refreshing feel.

Good stuff! (644 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Brilliant red body with a pinkish thin head. Huge raspberry nose. It smells exactly like real raspberries. Taste is killer. Perfect raspberries right up front and super strong. Again, real pure raspberry taste. Very tart and delicious. Thin bodied. Phenomenal drinkability. (273 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance is a very bright red. One of the most unique looks for a beer I had ever seen.

The beer has a very pleasant raspberry tart/sour scent. Not overwhelming by any stretch but enough to give you a good hint of what is to come.

Solstice D'ete has a wonderful, refreshing summertime taste. As a framboise (i believe also a wheat framboise), it is quite sour, but not as sour most other sour beer I drink. Very easy to drink and has a bit of a dry, but still tasty finish.

I was not expecting to like this beer as much as I did, wound up ordering a second. I really enjoy the Dieu Du Ciel beers and tried many others this past weekend. This one was far and away my favorite! (683 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%

Reddish with a touch of gold; clear; no lasting head or lace.

Wow, this may be the greatest amount of raspberry aroma I've ever experienced. It's not sweet, more like a fresh raspberry.

Think raspberry tart; this is delicious but relatively one-dimensional. The aftertaste is quite sour. The body is thin but adequate. Lots of carbonation.

This is a refreshing and sour; a step from what I would call a Framboise-it's delightful. (433 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Re-sampled 02sep2005

Appearance: Impressive, vibrant red with a slick of froth that contrasts with it's pearly white color. It really does look like those alcopop nightmares...

Smell: Strong, fruity acidity that reminded of raspberry flavored vinegar or a dry rosé wine, it had a floral-like sweetness that didn't come out at all in the taste, sort of like eau-de-rose or those flowery essences they use to make some mediterranian desserts.

Taste: Whoh, this stuff is tang-tastic! Lip-smacking, like pure, unsweetened cranberry juice. May not be for everyone, but I seriously believe that it's impossible to make a Beer more refreshing than this. Light, wheaty body, and a dry mead aftertaste. This stuff is kick ass. (727 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

Okay, I don't know where to start with this beer! Can I say a beer? Or maybe some fruit alcoholic juice, this is a weird freaky beer, not for my tastes but very interesting and fun too.

Appearance, is bright red, like you would have a strawberry juice, very nice color. The head dissapeard very quicky, too quicky as the white of the head and the bright red of the beer were beautiful when teamed together.

Smells like cherry, not too strong, not to shy, a balanced smell.

Taste, oh my, here we go... SOUR, VERY SOUR! The first sip I can assure you, you will go funny faces. It very acid and sour, reminding me of some gueuze/lambic /fruit. Then, you get curious and the taste get better.

It is quite an experience to try (734 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I'm thinking of making the drive from So. NH to Montreal just to have this brew! This is an interpretation of the Berliner Weisse style done avec fruit (strawberry, raspberry, or blueberry), with this lovely example being enhanced by the raspberry. Strikingly beautiful rose red color with pinkish head. Tart?? Can I hear ya say "Hell Ya"!! Freshly picked raspberries run bone-dry through the finish. This isn't for the faint of heart, a definate no-no for non-BA women drinkers looking for one of them funky-ass sweet fruit brews. (535 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last