Rescousse - Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Yoonisaykul on 01-27-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

A decent beer, but not so alty. Pours a bit dark looking with three-quarters of an inch foamy head. Malty aromas which is the taste, it is a smooth drinker. A tad thin mouthfeel. On the sweet side, some bitterness and black pepper in the finish.
Thanks Fred.

4.43/5  rDev +16%

I'm trying to review more often. Past few years I just haven't had the time to do so and I just couldn't be bothered to be truthful. This one is worth a few notes.

Firstly, it was added in the wrong place as this is an offering from the microbrewery and not the brewpub. The brewpub's offering in the Altbier style is called Grand'Messe and is very enjoyable.

Appearance points are high because I can't find anything really wrong with this. The pour is inviting, the beer is a warm and crystal clear mahogany with some russet reflections near the stem of my tasting glass. The head is very tenacious and leaves thick clumps of tan lacing on the sides of the glass.

I pull the glass to my nose and a generous whiff of a favourite of mine emerges... brewday. Gentle malts and bready notes emanate from the foam with just a hint of hops to disturb the baked goods signature. No real fruitiness detected but the malts suffice to make me want to quaff this.

My first sip tells me this beer is perfectly balanced between the bready, biscuity malts and a firm balancing bitterness. Very minor mineral notes support the clean malt and hops and make this a very satisfying brew. Mouthfeel is firm and clean, allowing the malts full expression. The aftertaste is appropriately short ending on sourdough bread notes... nothing more to say except that this is as good as it gets.

This a highly quaffable beer that would work in all seasons. Equally at home on those fresh summer nights or as an aperitif on a cold winter day. I don't think there's a time I wouldn't enjoy this beer. It combines a full flavour profile with just the right volume to be drunk in quantity. Great session ale. Dieu du Ciel does it again... and again...

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Dark copper color, fully translucent. Nice off white head, very good retention and correct lacing.

S: Very mineral smell. Some caramel malts. Maple syrup, brown sugar mainly. Some light earthy hops. Smells good but the smell is pretty light.

T: Much more hoppy than what I expected. Earthy and grassy hops are very present. Lots of baked and caramel malts. Toasted multi grain bread is VERY strong in this too. Some light caramel, maple syrup and vanilla. Strong and nice taste.

M: Nice medium body with medium carbonation. Very dry yet still sweet, this is nice.

D: This is a nice beer that is well balanced between the malts and hops. Super easy to drink.

Really German in the feel, smell and taste.

3.76/5  rDev -1.6%

Yé! Another Dieu Du Ciel beer to taste.
Served in SamAdams perfect glass.

A- Nice thick, chewy looking. light-beige head. Brown copper liquid looks a tiny bit syrupy.

S- Kind of a baked malt with a sour, slightly hoppy twang to it. Honey sweetness. Alcohol is noticeable.

T- Bitterness from start to finish. Alcohol is quite present. Kind of puzzled by this one as I'm not really sure what it tastes like apart from ''bitter''. A very good bitterness nonetheless. Some honey.

M- Full mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Nice body.

D- Very good. Kind of rough with the bitterness but the taste seems pretty straightforward and good to me so you kindof stop thinking about it and can just drink. So drinkable it is.

I guess it's a pretty good beer. Nothing wrong with it but I can't say I find it delicious.

Will buy it again but I'm in no hurry.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Rescousse from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!