Rigor Mortis Double - Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel

No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: francisweizen on 05-02-2003)
4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Some bottle conditioned magic is going on here! This Dubble/Double stlye Belgian Abbey beer was one of the best I have ever tasted. It was only available in the bottle on this visit, and not on tap but the bottles are at least 1-2 years old and are from out of this world. This beer pours a lovely dark reddish colour with a nice, fluffy, white head. The aromas are of many different things, including: chocolate, caramel, tofee, exotic fruits, spices, belgian yeast, candy sugar, malts, hops, and alcohol! The taste pulls all of these things together and blends them into one of the most drinkable Belgian style ales I have ever had the pleasure of drinking! The mouthfeel is thick and wonderful and I could drink this stuff all night long. Of course excellence does come at quite a price. Whilst the tap beers at Dieu Du Ciel are only about $3 American a pint. This bottle was almost $10 US. Than again this was a bomber.
Expensive...? Yes! but absolutely worth it!
One of the best!
Cheers!

Update: Whilst this is still one of the best brewpub beers I have ever had. All 5's for this one was a bit over the top!

francisweizen, May 02, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -29.7%

I expected a lot, but as MartinT pointed me out, it's far from a typical dubbel and I'm happy not to see it in that style on the site database. It's basically dark brown with very fugacious head, well-laced nevertheless. Neglectable carbonation. The nose reminds of chocolate milk. Weird malt taste.. I don't know how to qualify it, flat malt comes to mind. The texture reminds of coke, somewhat powdery, but very smooth and sliding on the tongue. Overly sweet and definitely not one that impressed me.

Rastacouere, Dec 09, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Really nice reddish-brown, almost copper colour. Small off-white head that didn't last too long.

Smell: Couldn't detect anything at first, but as I drank more and more I did pick up a sweet, maple-like aroma.

Taste/mouthfeel: Very sweet at first, very caramel. After a few sips the alcohol presence becomes more and more pronounced, and a slight toasted grain aftertaste is present, moreso towards the end.

Drinkability: I always enjoy a pint of this fine brew when it's available here, usually towards the end of my session. It's initial sweetness and high ABV doesn't exactly make it a session Beer, but on a unusually chilly evening like last night when I took these notes (25SEP2004), it went down really well.

Goldorak, Jun 26, 2004
Rigor Mortis Double from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.