Grozet - Bartrams Brewery

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: GreenCard on 05-18-2005

Reviews by jlindros:
3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

Hmm, I'm not too particular on this style in the first place, and the beer says best by Feb 2008... do I dare? Well obviously if this review gets submitted I dared... and survived!

A: Almost no sound as I pop the top, as it pours a very small barely covering the top head that fades quickly, the beer clear straw colored with very few bubbles rising from the etch at the bottom.

N: Smells of mead, with lots of honey, perhaps hints of malt but not much, a little wheat in there, some bitter fruit aromas probably the gooseberry, berry fruit, touch of spice.

T: Well, not as bad as I expected. Pretty sweet with lots of honey flavors, some wheat, a little banana too, some creamy feel too. Then comes some berry fruit, a hint of bitterness from it. Actually somewhat juicy. Somewhat bland as well and some spices in there.

M: Slight syrupy with medium body and almost no carbonation.

F: Dries well as the honey evaporates and leaves just wheat and berry. The bitterness comes out a little more on teh finish too, probably accentuated by the dryness. It actually gets really dry, almost sucking the cell walls of my mouth into its void. The bitter berry flavor sticks around a while longer than anything else.

An interesting beer. Lots of honey and some bitterness from the gooseberry. Neither the honey nor berry were too overpowering and it balanced pretty well. Although it was a little bland with all that, perhaps all of the above are because of the age on it, but a whole lot more drinkable than I expected. Could have used more carbonation too, but again probably due to age.

4.05/5  rDev +22%

Drank from a bottle I got out of a variety pack of Scottish beers. Pours a slightly hazy golden/yellow with some nice carbonation, but not too heavy with it.

Smells of typical wheat: citrus, fruity. But also, there was the gooseberry smell (obviously).

Beer is medium bodied with a sweet start. Almost typical wheat beer, then there is the gooseberry flavor. Berry-ish but with a strong finish and a slight tartness. A lot more depth than a lot of fruit beers and not as sissy as blueberry beers.

I was happily surprised by this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -18.1%

330 ml served in a chilled glass

Appearance - beer pours a hazy amber colour with a decent amount of clarity. There is no sign of carbonation in this beer. Beer poured with a white head, that quickly dissipated.

Smell - I can pick up notes of honey, sweet and hops. There is some earthy tone to this beer as well. There is a touch of wheat present, but hidden by the sweetness. Pretty clean smelling beer.

Taste - Can really taste the wheat in the beer. There is a tone of sweetness, but not as much honey as i expected. The beer has no aftertaste, kind of comes and goes.

Mouthfeel - minimal levels of carbonation added to this beer. It does not bring much more fwd than before. The taste and aftertaste remain the same.

Drinkability - I wouldnt give this much more than below avg tasting beer. I could drink 300 of these in a night like i do coors light!

2.46/5  rDev -25.9%

looks like a pilsner . pale yellow very clear small white head.

smells very sweet. cloying

drinks smooth with a green tea aftertaste. really tastes like chinese tea.

very strong tasting beer. not sweet not overly bitter but perfectly nasty.

drain pour.

another night of epic tastings before i have to take a forced long break. i decided to go with six more new beers last night and had a really fun time with them. served in pint glass and consumed on 11/05/2010.

the one poured out a nice ruddy amber color with a good amount of sediment in the bottom of the glass. decent head of off white faded out as it started to warm, but left some decent lacing.

aroma is fruity, hints of berries, honey, earthy pine needles and hints of light grains. pretty straight forward but it works. light feel and moderate finish of sweet honey and touches of clove make it come together very well.

overall a really decent little beer and a nice break from the big ones i had been throwing down all week.

3.84/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a yellowish orange, like an unripe gooseberry, with no head. The smell was a bit of jammy fruits, maybe a bit of muscat. The taste was obviously some gooseberry, honey, some fruit, but was overall fairly mellow and not that strong of flavors. The beer was light bodied with light carbonation. It was, however, very drinkable, especially in this weather (humid and hot). A fine session beer.

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%

Gyle #: G300304...

Appearance: light gold, slight haze, light fluffy layer of white foam, great head retention, lacey

Aroma: gooseberry jam, kiwis, hint of clovey phenols, cirtus, grain

Flavor: crisp malt base (quite dry), unripe grapes, soapy bitterness, slightly tart, grain, coriander (whether it was added to the beer or not), vegetal hop flavor, finishes dry with a lingering bitterness and peppery aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, crisp texture, spritzy carbonation, slight warmth in the throat

Other comments: The sediment in the bottle is quite loose, so it's hard to pour it clean, but that's not a big deal. Quite a refreshing beer.

Bottle-conditioned, as all Bartram's beers are.

3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

From notes:

Poured a straw color with a decent white head.

Aroma was very fruity. Berries, oranges, and I'm thinking honeydew.

Flavor was gooseberry dominated. Coriander and the usual wheat characteristics are apparent.

I really enjoyed this beer. I'm surprised to see more people haven't picked it up. If you see it while your out, do yourself a favor and pick one up.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

1.15/5  rDev -65.4%

#55. Had a difficult time pushing myself to open this bottle. Best by date says October 2006; that's over 4 years ago. Haven't had anything "aged" before. If this aged well, this might be something amazing, but if not, well... it might not be something amazing.

There are currently two entries using the name Grozet, but this one has the same bottle image as mine (paper with brown, white and lime green logo), despite having the subtitle Gooseberry & Wheat Ale that the other entry specifies. I let this warm to roughly the mid 40's before popping open.

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Hmm. Pretty aggressive pour yields even less than a half finger depth level of poorly retaining head. It's gone to a thinly speckled surface within 15 seconds. Color is a really dull, pale light brown tone with yellow shimmers from the light that cuts through. It's dense and full of pulpy matter, a really murky mess. I'd be convinced that this beer was flat if the seldom carbonation stream didn't prove otherwise. It looks genuinely gross; it's not visually appealing to me at all. 1.5

(Smell) Some very sour and bitter aromas of definite bitter berry and fruit tones are what I get most of in here. It has close to a cider-like smell, but far more dense and murky. Some herbal qualities are more faint, but I can tell that they are in there somewhere. Smell is more reminiscent of a weak liquor than any beer I have tried. Beyond some incredibly light grains, I can't get much else out of here, it doesn't smell that good. I anticipate that this might be a taxing beverage to consume. I can only hope that the aging is entirely to blame. 1.5

(Taste) Whew. This is no good, not at all. All that's left is the grainy remains with a taste of severely outdated berry flavor that tastes at least as old as it is. I'm having to force myself to finish this. Cereal grain is the most I can gather of it. Even they don't smell or taste decent. What's left in the end is something tasting remnant of a weak tea. The flavor is very tea-like, in that I'm left desiring more character and boldness to a beer that I'm sure has it when it's fresher. Serious bummer. This is a dump beer for sure; I can't even consider finishing it. 1

(Mouthfeel) Thin, murky and unsweetened. There is little carbonation left, and this whole thing is just flavorless. The only thing left in the finish is the taste of decomposing leaf and grain matter, the gooseberry taste is gone. It's straight up nasty. 1

(Drinkability) What do you think? I'm going to obviously go out of my way to get a second bottle in a more timely manner with intentions of recanting this review. I could never and would never have another bottle dated at or before October 2006, however; I am certain of that. 1

Verdict: To be updated soon with a much more optimistic review (I hope, unless this has aged beautifully leaving me unknowingly recalculating how I do my reviews). Otherwise, this was skunked some years ago... before I could legally drink and I'm now feeling the pain and suffering. Either way... I want my money back! I learned an important lesson tonight; always look for a date. F (1.2)

Grozet from Bartrams Brewery
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.