Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Barleywine AleBourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Barleywine |  12.10% ABV

Aged in the third-use barrels that were once home to Kentucky bourbon and then our renowned Bourbon County Stout, this traditional English-style barleywine possesses the subtlety of flavor that only comes from a barrel that’s gone through many seasons of ritual care. The intricacies of the previous barrel denizens – oak, charcoal, hints of tobacco and vanilla, and that signature bourbon heat – are all present in this beer. Hearty and complex, Bourbon County Brand Barleywine is a titan and a timeline; a bold, flavorful journey through the craft of barrel aging.

(Beer added by: jplopez21 on 10-04-2013)

kmos27, Dec 29, 2013

Matthewpakula, Dec 29, 2013

Quackus, Dec 29, 2013

nearengine, Dec 29, 2013
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

#VARIANTS

I enjoyed a few of these bottles over the holiday break at Duckworths (Ballantyne). This is a very large and rich BW that lands very heavy on the barrel side and finishes sticky-sweet. The finish was actually very similar to the Coffee varietal - just entirely too sweet in my opinion. There aren't many other bad things to say about this beer - smooth and a pretty optimal booziness, rich caramel malt, sticky caramelized brown sugar. Very good stuff, but my first reaction was that there are plenty of peers in this class, with Central Waters BBBW remaining the breadwinner in my opinion (and at half the price).

dirtylou, Dec 29, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served from bottle into Surly darkness snifter.

I love bourbon county stout so I was really excited for this beer. I poured the beer do find a dark brown beer with little head that faded quickly, the beer was slightly hazy as well. The aroma was subtle, malty, some vanilla and dark fruits. Nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary for a barrel aged beer so far. This beer tasted plain. It was syrupy and strong but really lacked complexity. Over all I would have to say this was a disappointing beer. I am not sure if I had to high of expectations or if it really is just meh, but I can say there are several much better barrel aged beers out there.

br3wmeister, Dec 29, 2013

BGsWo22, Dec 29, 2013

charlesjwinkler, Dec 29, 2013

Phobicsquirrel, Dec 29, 2013
4.91/5  rDev +8.4%

Bought a 4pk from Southtown Beverages in Rochester, NY on Saturday Nov 29th, 2013.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Nonic, served at cellar temp.

Appearance: Lignite Brown with a thick mocha head that recedes to a thin film.

Aroma: Perhaps the best beer I have ever smelled; rich, luscious caramel, butterscotch, some alcohol esthers.

Mouthfeel: weightless, ethereal

Taste: Figs coated in chocolate, molasses, vanilla, Bourbon

Notes: the closest I have been to beer perfection

fx20736, Dec 29, 2013
4.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really did not want to like this, as I am not a big fan of barleywine ale to begin with, but...I have to admit that (could not help it) I liked this very much. Deep dark pour into chilled pint glass. Thin light brown head, which dissipates quickly. Lacing is good and even/consistent, with a zillion tiny bubbles which do not cling to glass for long. On the nose, the scent is very similar to the regular BCBS, with prevalent coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and caramel/toffee, but that's where the similarities start to part ways. On the palate, the heavy malt and alcohol of the barley wine style emerge, which I thought at first would lead me to dislike this gem, but with each sip, I found myself more and more mesmerized by the balance of competing flavors. A veritable tastebud orgasm of sorts, as I moved from one pleasurable hint to another (coffee, YES...chocolate, YES...toffee, YES...vanilla, YES...YES, YES, YES!!!). Mouthfeel was full and ample throughout, leaving a nice burn on the back of the palate. In the future, I'll probably still choose BCBS and/or BCBCS over BCBBW every time, but the divide is not as great as I had previously surmised. This is good shit, indeed.

Had this again on 2/7/14, from tap at Roast House pub in Frederick, MD (after visiting Flying Dog brewery for BA Gonzo release), and I do hereby reaffirm all dat shit I said herein above. BCBBW is da bomb!

JohnParadee, Dec 29, 2013

mikeburd1128, Dec 28, 2013

KAF, Dec 28, 2013
4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured dark brown into oversized snifter. Not enough head to even cover the top. Very opaque, where there is potential for lacing, its there.

Boozy smell, dried fruit, coffee grinds and a little oak. Sweet caramel vanilla lingers.

Sweet fruity alcohol taste. Coffee and a little chocolate on the back end. Also oak, plum and dark fruit. A little bitter.

An initial burn from the alcohol, first in the mouth and then the throat. Nott too much though. Very chewy and a sweet, lip-licking sweet finish.

Overall it is very intriguing. Not nearly the bourbon barrel character of BCBS, but I think I get equal amounts of the barrel and base beer of BCBS in this one. I also noticed the alcohol in this one seems smoother at first, but lingers longer than BCBS. Barleywines aren't my favorite, but I don't see how this could be a better one. The lingering sweetness truly makes it, as it works so well.

MrBoh, Dec 28, 2013

caguiar, Dec 28, 2013

atone315, Dec 28, 2013
Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.