Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Barleywine AleBourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Barleywine |  12.10% ABV

Aged in the third-use barrels that were once home to Kentucky bourbon and then our renowned Bourbon County Stout, this traditional English-style barleywine possesses the subtlety of flavor that only comes from a barrel that’s gone through many seasons of ritual care. The intricacies of the previous barrel denizens – oak, charcoal, hints of tobacco and vanilla, and that signature bourbon heat – are all present in this beer. Hearty and complex, Bourbon County Brand Barleywine is a titan and a timeline; a bold, flavorful journey through the craft of barrel aging.

(Beer added by: jplopez21 on 10-04-2013)

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%

3.8/5  rDev -16.1%

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

4.09/5  rDev -9.7%

Consumed on December 10th, 2014 from a 2014 12-ounce bottle obtained the day after Thanksgiving of the same year. Served at 50 degrees in a snifter.

Pour is very deep brown with dark garnet highlights. tiny little head dissipates rapidly, leaving behind not a single bubble a few minutes later.

Aroma is sweet with brown sugar, bourbon, wood and dates.

Flavor is much like the nose: sweet with a dark pitted fruit note. Some cinnamon. Bourbon note is subdued but noticed. Some alcohol warmth at the end. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit thick and chewy. Warmth from alcohol is present but not overpowering. Will make your lips sticky. Carbonation is somewhat missed as this beer is utterly still.

A very nice barleywine, to be sure, but not one of the best I have had.

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%

My local taproom just tapped this a few days ago. I have always passed on this in 4 packs but now I decided it was time to give it a go.

A 4 oz pour was brought to me in a snifter. A/The beer was a dark ruby color with a thin tan color head. S/The bourbon was most present being followed with toffee maybe caramel and I thought a piney hint. T/Bourbon again was first and foremost and was very pleasant. It was then a caramel, apricot hint, maybe brown sugar. M/Fairly thick and coating and very syrupy! O/I enjoyed the 4 oz pour for $4.50 but that was about my limit. While I enjoyed the first few sips it did not seem to open up to me as it warmed. I thought it tasted best fairly chilled. It was too syrupy and way to sweet to me. I would not enjoy drinking more than what I had. I do not know if I would go out of my way to find this but I would order it again if it was on tap for a reasonable price.

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

3.75/5  rDev -17.2%

Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.