Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand StoutBackyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.70% ABV

Aged in Templeton Rye whiskey barrels with fresh mulberries, marionberries, and boysenberries.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-18-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
4.66/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber into taster glass.

A: Pours pitch black with a smallish one finger mocha colored head that dissipated quite quickly leaving no lacing at all.

S: The nose keeps bring me back to the thought of chocolate covered cherries. Lots of nice fruity berry notes mixed with big whiskey and hints of chocolate and espresso.

T: a Thick chocolate fudge covered in berry preserve. The berries were a bit subdued at first, but really shine as it warmed up. Nice alcohol heat and chocolate undertones. A little spiciness from the rye whiskey which adds a nice touch.

M: Very full bodied and thick as you would expect. The rye whiskey influence leaves the finish a bit dry.

O: Excellent beer. The original BCBS stands as one of my all time favorite beers, but this is an excellent variant for sure.

4.91/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours pitch black with a scant, slight ruby head that dissipated quickly. No lacing to speak of. Lots of berry on the nose along with dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and wood, incredible! The taste is reminiscent of chocolate dipped berries. The barrel isn't as dominant as other bourbon county releases, it adds nice vanilla, whiskey, and wood notes. Finishes sweet. Full mouthfeel with no carbonation to speak of. Overall, Backyard Rye is amazing, it's the finest example of a stout with fruit that I've had!

4.44/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened for my bday and shared amount 5 or 6 people along with many other beers.

A - Dark as night just like every other variant. Little to no head formed. Drank about 4-5 ounces of this and that was plenty.

S - Smell was wonderful with a lot of the barrel character coming through as well as the berry smells that they used to make this beer

T - Taste was a little overpowering in terms of the fruity characteristics. I felt as though it took a lot away from the bourbon and base flavors of the beer as I wasn't getting those tastes until the after taste. Really glad that I picked this one up and wish I had one more to age to see how the flavors would meld together as I can see this one aging beautifully

M - Mouthfeel was slightly thinner than other variants but still a medium to full bodied beer that coated the mouth and was creamy and smooth

O - I was a little underwhelmed surprisingly with this one as it's my least favorite variant. Still a world-class beer but I had slightly higher expectations.
Note: Everyone else loved this beer more than I did.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

Now this is Bourbon County. I had this very fresh 2 days before the official release and didn't care for it at all. The berry was way too prominent. Luckily thanks to Matt @Capones I had a second last night, and it was superb.

Beautiful berry purpleish color hits my snifter first then morphs into the familiar black, but keeps the berry highlighting. Gorgeous. Perfect carbonation, very alive in the glass. Huge whiskey aroma, some spice from the rye treatment along with the berry notes, vanilla and coconut. I'm thinking this aroma is very similar to Cherry Rye. Taste is chocolate berry fudge cake, very thick, great mouthfeel. The berry is definitely less than 3 months ago, turning this into Bourbon County perfection.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Besides the original, best variant I've had minus RARE. Hands DOWN. For the record, I've had coffee, vanilla but not the PROPRIETER's blend but I don't like coconut.

Thank GOD 4 months have past so it's not a berry bomb and there's enough of the base beer coming through, but make no mistake about it, this is all about what the berries lend to the original BCBS. Not sure if a very fresh bottle would lend the same comment.

Raspberry truffle BCBS. Not at all in a cloying or overly sweet way. Rye cuts through the overly sweetness of it all. Kept it spicy & dry when it comes to the finish. I hate fruity and sweet beers, but I killed this bomber in as much time as a favorite DIPA because it was that good. Yeah, I didn't share this bomber with anyone but my greedy self :-) Again, this was the best variant of the bunch I've had and I LOVE coffee and am skeptical of berries. This impressed me more than the Coffee variant.

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.