Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand StoutBackyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.70% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-18-2013

Aged in Templeton Rye whiskey barrels with fresh mulberries, marionberries, and boysenberries.
Reviews: 159 | Hads: 1,983
4.46/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened for my bday and shared amount 5 or 6 people along with many other beers.

A - Dark as night just like every other variant. Little to no head formed. Drank about 4-5 ounces of this and that was plenty.

S - Smell was wonderful with a lot of the barrel character coming through as well as the berry smells that they used to make this beer

T - Taste was a little overpowering in terms of the fruity characteristics. I felt as though it took a lot away from the bourbon and base flavors of the beer as I wasn't getting those tastes until the after taste. Really glad that I picked this one up and wish I had one more to age to see how the flavors would meld together as I can see this one aging beautifully

M - Mouthfeel was slightly thinner than other variants but still a medium to full bodied beer that coated the mouth and was creamy and smooth

O - I was a little underwhelmed surprisingly with this one as it's my least favorite variant. Still a world-class beer but I had slightly higher expectations.
Note: Everyone else loved this beer more than I did.

Now this is Bourbon County. I had this very fresh 2 days before the official release and didn't care for it at all. The berry was way too prominent. Luckily thanks to Matt @Capones I had a second last night, and it was superb.

Beautiful berry purpleish color hits my snifter first then morphs into the familiar black, but keeps the berry highlighting. Gorgeous. Perfect carbonation, very alive in the glass. Huge whiskey aroma, some spice from the rye treatment along with the berry notes, vanilla and coconut. I'm thinking this aroma is very similar to Cherry Rye. Taste is chocolate berry fudge cake, very thick, great mouthfeel. The berry is definitely less than 3 months ago, turning this into Bourbon County perfection.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Besides the original, best variant I've had minus RARE. Hands DOWN. For the record, I've had coffee, vanilla but not the PROPRIETER's blend but I don't like coconut.

Thank GOD 4 months have past so it's not a berry bomb and there's enough of the base beer coming through, but make no mistake about it, this is all about what the berries lend to the original BCBS. Not sure if a very fresh bottle would lend the same comment.

Raspberry truffle BCBS. Not at all in a cloying or overly sweet way. Rye cuts through the overly sweetness of it all. Kept it spicy & dry when it comes to the finish. I hate fruity and sweet beers, but I killed this bomber in as much time as a favorite DIPA because it was that good. Yeah, I didn't share this bomber with anyone but my greedy self :-) Again, this was the best variant of the bunch I've had and I LOVE coffee and am skeptical of berries. This impressed me more than the Coffee variant.

4.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Less then a half finger of tan head built in the tulip before quickly falling. Swirling produces alcohol legs that slide down the edge of the glass with very little carbonation bubbles kicking up from solution. The beer is black as a winter night, no light shines through, just like the other BCBS's.

S: The first impression I get is chocolate covered cherries. Dark chocolate, cherries, raspberries, strawberry all very distinct. Coffee and a slight roast, combined with the vanilla oaky barrel character, which is not as up front in the aroma as normal BCBS. Slight spicey rye character detected.. but it might be a mental thing because I know its there.

T: Holy schnikeys.. its fermented raspberry jam on a chocolate covered cherry. You've got dark chocolate being the base flavor throughout the beer, but up front is the same strawberry, raspberry and cherry flavors as in the aroma, really juicy/fresh tasting. The caramel/toffee flavors usually present in BCBS is very subtle. The barrel is moderately present, on the burp.. I get the rye spiceyness like I was drinking rye whiskey.. very nice.

M: Alcohol warming is the first thing I notice. Smooth thick body overall. Carbonation is very low, but it compliments the berry flavors nice.

O: Balanced very well between the berries and the barrel with the base beer coming through still. After having the normal, coffee, barley wine and now this I'm amazed at the consistency of the Bourbon County beers. I would love to try Prop to round out this years lineup. Backyard is defiantly not for everyone with the jam like flavors coming off kind of sweet, but I'm loving it.

4.52/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, from the 2013 bottling, ordered at Timothy O'Toole's in Streeterville. Poured into unlabeled snifters today, 12/11/2013.

Pours standard BCBS body, dark black and very opaque, with a fairly minimal brown head that drops quickly. Beer shortly becomes very placid, dark with a thin collar. Not much lacing about.

Smells like Bourbon County Stout. So lots of barrel vanilla, sweet bourbon, some dark chocolate. No hints of berries initially, but as it warms up you get more hints of berries- not quite raspberry but not quite blackberry, hard to know as I've never had the component berries. But it smells pretty good, nothing compared to the burden of berries in the taste though.

And this is what sets aside this beer from the other Bourbon County offerings. Lots of chocolate, barrel vanilla, sweet bourbon and most importantly, lots of sweet and slightly tart berry flavour. It's very well integrated and drinking very smoothy. The whole flavour profile reminds me of Berry Berry Kix cereal in chocolate milk, except well-integrated. No joke. Very very very tasty.

Obvious phenomenal mouthfeel as with any Bourbon County. About the same body and consistency as regular, it might be a little more slick and resinous than normal BCBS, though. Solid carbonation, no heat whatsoever, can't tell its 12.7% at all.

Great BCBS variant, I love the berries and how easy it is to drink. Its not as cough syrupy like Cherry Rye was, and the berries integrate fantastically well with the base stout. Highly recommended; I don't see any point in aging bottles of this as the berries are just perfect and well-integrated with the base beer.

Re-reviewed today, 2/22/2014. Thanks Shaun! #5 in the BCBS Variant lineup. Poured into an original Bourbon County Brand Stout snifter. Basically, this confirms what I wrote above; its still jammy in the perfect sense; and it retains that nice jamminess and a bit more as it warms up. Compared to Bramble, this beer stays what it is cellar to room temperature and its very much worth sipping on over time. One of the better BCBS Variants in my opinion; I consider this to be more enjoyable and interesting than Proprietor's which is more of a one-note coconut beer.

4.34/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2/21/14 – Goose Island | BCBS Backyard Rye | 22 oz Bomber

Appearance – Jet black / motor oil / night’s watch black. Tan head, no retention.

Aroma – Jam, raspberry truffle, earthy spice, almost like a pinot noir. No detectable boozy smell, slight chocolate roast

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation, almost wish there was a little more. Full bodied, sticky, chewy, thick.

Taste – Way sweeter than I thought it would be, especially as it warms up. Definite jam-y qualities, dark fruit, hint of chocolate, subtle spice. Dark fruit flavors dominate… Not necessarily in a bad way, but it’s close to being a little too much.

Residual – Lingering pleasant sweetness, sticky

Overall – The first sip is a “wow” moment, but as you continue to drink the beer it becomes a little too sweet. Don’t get me wrong, Backyard Rye is still better than MOST beers out there, but the jam-y qualities and sweetness are a little distracting. Besides that, however, this 12.7% is the easiest drinking BCBS variant I’ve had and I would recommend this to anyone.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: opaque brown pour into motor oil black in a snifter; shiny black surface slightly edged with thin dark foam.

S: rich black malt molasses and bright berry tartness

T: many flavors mingle freely, from the dark black malt base, bringing dark chocolate syrup and cold espresso and blackstrap molasses, to the juicy and tart berries, bursting with dark, sweet, and tart jam flavors, spiked with rye whiskey vapors and spice

M: smooth and medium-heavy, moderately dense, nice tartness

O: an exceptional double stout - wonderful use of sweet tart dark berry to complement the sophistication of the whiskey barrel aging; no better base beer than BCBS.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black. There were a few dark brown bubbles ringing the glass, but that's it. Roasted grain aroma with lots of berries and booze, coffee, nutty, a bit woody. Berry flavour was pronounced throughout - impressive that they were able to get that much character into an already big beer. Roast and booze, wood, caramel sweetness, moderate bitterness. Sweet berry finish with lingering tannins and alcohol warmth. Full bodied with low carbonation, moderate astringency. Quite tasty. The berry and barrel character worked well with the stout.

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

I still dream about this beer. Shared and poured into two snifters.

Pours dark, opaque, beautiful. Very small head forms.

Smells of roastiness, dark rich chocolate, sweet berries, and alcohol.

Tastes absolutely incredible. One sip will have decadent, whiskey soaked brownies at the forefront, the next sip will have sweet, slightly tart berry flavors charging to the forefront. So many layers of taste. Can't distinguish the various berries, as I have not tasted them before, but certainly tastes like sweet raspberries and blackberries to me (I think boysenberries are a hybrid of raspberries and blackberries?) Very roasty, and a bit spicy on the back end, which is probably the rye whisky.

The mouthfeel is very typical for Bourbon County, sticky, sweet, and absurdly full. A full dessert in a glass.

The best Bourbon County variant I've had so far. To die for.

4.91/5  rDev +8.6%

dark, motor oil looking with virtually no head. Ruby edges.

the nose is crazy. super whiskey, vanilla and coconut, dark malty chocolate. dark fruit!

wow. the way dark chocolate, whiskey, and berry flavors are melded and dance with eachother on the palate is amazing. theres a roastiness and surprisingly strong berry zingon the back end that balances out the softer bourbony - vanilla and choclate maltiness up front. jammy.

mouthfeel is viscious. this bitch is thick, slick, and coating with a velvety quality. nice minimal yet present carbonation.

this is one of the best beers ive ever had the privilage of tasting. so sad it's a one off.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a Prairie Teku glass.

Apperance: Very thick, next to no head. Pitch black, with a slight raspberry tone to it. A coffee colored crown around the edge of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Loads of bourbon, sweet jammy berries, and lots of chocolate. Smells delicious.

Taste: Tastes like Bourbon County tends to. Loads of dark chocolate and bourbon flavors, a hint of spicy rye, and then an overwhelming berry tanginess on the finish. Like biting into a delicious raspberry truffle.

Mouthfeel: Deliciously thick. Coats the mouth for sure, and has a rather sticky finish.

Overall: This is absolutely delicious. Probably my favorite of the Bourbon county variants so far, and yes I've had Proprietors. The berries just work so well with the chocolate notes of the beer, it's really just damn good. I've decided that fruited stouts are always delicious, or at least the two examples I've had of them so far have been.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours out rather still, with the fudge brown liquid shivering naked, with just a few bubbles around the edge; leggy, I will give it that

Smell: Chocolate-covered boysenberries

Taste: Heavily roasted, up front, with chocolate flavor building; by mid-palate, the boysenberry (I know boysenberries but I haven't a clue about marionberries and mulberries are just a nursery rhyme to me) flavor overwhelms; after the swallow, the rye barrel flavor builds and cuts somewhat into the sweetness of the fruit; jammy and boozy in the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with very low carbonation and some warmth in the gullet

Overall: I came into this with high expectations but was a little let down as the jammy flavors are just a bit much for my palate and I would have preferred just slightly more carbonation; still, a very fine beer

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- As balck as they come. With almost no head to speak of.

S- Bold Rye and dark chocolate, massively roasty. A touch of blueberry on the back end.

T- Typical bourbon county. Massive roasted malt. Dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar. The rye is excellent, a bold sour mash and a complex whiskey flavor. The Wood from the barrel also adds to the drying factor of this beer. The berry twist is awesome. A lot of blueberry, A hint of raspberry as well. The berry is a welcome twist and a fantastic addition to the fantastic beer.

M- Big feel, A welcome sweetness from the berries. A surprising balance and drinkability from such a massive flavor

O- Amazing stuff, one of the best stouts Ive ever had and a good addition to the BC family.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Many thanks to Gonziollini for handing me this bottle during the chaos, fun, & lost phone signal that was the Central Waters Anniversary Party. Been looking forward to this one. 22 oz. bottle with a berry-colored label, split with my wife. Bottled on 11/20/13, #0803.

Pour is black with zero wind moving across it & a five o'clock shadow of head. Look lifeless, taste good, you're beautiful. The nose makes me reflect on the headware of Carmen Miranda, without the bananas, with a suprising amount of chocolate drizzle & surprisingly low amount of vanilla/bourbon. Smells niiiice.

Bourbon County Brand Stout Backyard Rye is a boozy fruit shovel to the cranium. The berries - I'm not buying that anybody could identify them without the label - are bright, fresh, & tasty as hell, not like that weird, Skittish cherry flavor that some stouts sport. Behind the berry blast is a double spoonful of liquid chocolate & a left hook of understated but spicy rye. The barrel also brings mild back-of-the-tongue heat & an expected dollop of vanilla. The rye cuts what might have been overbearing sweetness to tolerable, nay, nipple-twisting levels of yum. As thick as one would expect any Bourbon County Stout to be, but a notch up in drinkability. I tried to restrain myself, occifer, really.

As always, I'm left wondering why I believe the base beer is just good but some of these variants knock my grundies off. This one does a balancing act that's tough for the best brewer: balancing the barrel, base beer, & berries. Unless it slipped me some tongue, I'm not sure it could get much better. An elite-level beer.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into a Duvel tulip; split with a friend.

A: As expected, it's pitch black with a thin brown head that quickly settles into a ring. Intimidating and appreciated.

S: Lovely, intense combination of barrel and fruit. The oak, whiskey, and vanilla are the most aromatic elements, with the sweet berry notes forming a delightful background for the spicy, vibrant rye. Terrific.

T: Follows the nose, and then some. The whiskey, spice, oak, coconut, and vanilla from the barrel are front and center, but eventually give way to a sweet, chewy, chocolatey maltiness before the deeply sweet fruit takes over toward the finish. Impressively little alcohol flavor, even on the aftertaste - the intensity of each of the beer's three well-balanced components keeps any heat far in the distance. Genuinely outstanding, even among BCBS variants I've had.

M: Thick, chewy, and sticky. Nice creamy carbonation helps, but it's a bit on the cloying side.

O: I expected to like this one the least of this year's variants, but actually enjoyed it more than either the Barleywine or even Coffee (haven't had Prop; ISO!). I loved the way the base beer's sweetness was embraced and enhanced by the fruit and yet offset by the piquancy of the rye barrel. Great stuff.

3.94/5  rDev -12.8%

I'm not going to go too much into detail on this beer.

The appearance is pitchblack and the pour doesn't produce a ton of head.

I don't get a lot off the nose, the bourbon is there, but not much else.

This beer is very much like the Bourbon County regular, but it has a tart cherry taste that to me was good, but slightly cloying. I have to say I prefer the regular, although perhaps this would be better with age.

The beer is very smooth and the high alcohol well-disguised, as is customary with BCBS.

Overall, good, but not great and considering the bottle cost me $23, probably something I'd hesitate to buy again.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Thin, 1/2 finger dark brown head with purple hints; quickly fades, leaving almost no trace. Brew is a solid, oily dark black, not completely jet or ebony black, but still opaque.

Whiskey hits the nose first, along with cream, cocoa, wheat/barley, and a hint of sour/tart.

Taste follows the nose, but in reverse order: touch of sweet tartness initially, followed by creamy milk chocolate, mildly roasted barley, vanilla, and whiskey. The berries are most noticeably present on the back-end, with a sweet, blueberry/raspberry-like flavor.

Nice thick and chewy mouthfeel; oily and slick as a residue on the mouth. Superb. Significant alcohol presence: slight burn, and major heat coinciding with the aftertaste. Not unexpected for this beer, of course.

As I've come to expect from the BCB series, this is a truly outstanding beer. The rye whiskey doesn't come across much differently than bourbon barrels (which is logical), although this carries more liquor heat than BCBS. The berries (mulberries, boysenberries, and marionberries according to the label) really add a unique quality to the beer and, while decidedly different, do not detract from the overall experience.

I prefer regular BCBS to this variant, but it's a very, very good beer, notwithstanding.

4.31/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Very minimal head that has little retention. The head was a light and creamy beige while the body is an opaque dark chocolate black with a reddish tint from the berries around the edges. Doesn't leave any lacing behind.

Nose- Strong notes of berry, nothing that I can really distinguish and honestly I couldn't tell the difference between the berries used. I'm not even sure I've had each of them. Light chocolate but this is very much dominated by the berry notes.

Taste- Very reflective of the nose and shows strong notes of berries. Once again, I won't even bother to try to identify them or pretend that I understand their nuances. Really crowds out much of what makes the regular Bourbon County such a great beer. There are notes of chocolate and coffee but the berry aspect really tramples this. Alcohol isn't as presence as in the original. Reminds me a lot of the De Struise Blackberry Albert I had yesterday but the berry notes are definitely more forward. Chocolate comes in as the second place note and really works well with the berry aspects. Really good beer but just shy of great. A slight step up from Black Damnation I and does flirt with being great. Very jammy with light bitterness on the end with a slight bit of woodiness.

Mouthfeel- A little more than medium bodied with a good amount of syrup to the texture. Very light carbonation which gives the beer a little more structure and makes it seem fuller.

Drinkability- Very easygoing and doesn't give any indication of the alcohol at all. Pretty pricy at 20 bucks a bottle though. I would rather spend that money on the regular or maybe even the coffee.

Overall- Mostly really good beer that has some inclinations toward being a great beer. Definitely worth a try but not in the same league as the original- the berry notes render it a little too one-dimensional. I think I will be trading my bottle instead of aging. Still a really good beer though.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a Stone Snifter.

1/2F head. Dark opaque chocolate color.

Strong whiskey, cherry, berry fruits, chocolate wafting from the head.

The mouth feel is very carbonated.

Taste: extraordinary. I like this variant better than the standard BCS. An exceptional meld of chocolate, berry, and whiskey. Very smooth with warming.

Overall: this was difficult to find. I got the last bottle from one case purchased by the beer store. It won't be released next year.
A top class act- a melding of different elements of the taste/aroma into a well balanced, outstanding beer.

This may be the best BCS variant I have had. Bottle shared with two colleagues at Stout in Chicago.

A: Deep dark opaque brown with reddish orange edges. Minimal head.
S: Blackberry and a hint of cocoa
T: Berries dominate with chocolate and a bit of roastiness also present.
M: Moderately heavy body with gentle sparkly carbonation. Not too heavy - less syrupy than the regular BCS. Very pleasant
O: I like this more than last years Cherry Rye. Just a fantastic beer. Like chocolate covered berries in liquid form.

4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Zeb for sharing this.

Let's skip right to the taste. This beer tastes like someone took a spoonful of overly sweet jam and shoved it into your mouth, and then gave you a teeny sip of BCBS to wash it down. That overly sweet berry flavor dominates the palate.

On the whole, this flavor profile did not work for me. I love the taste of Bourbon County, and I did not get that here. The berries took over and would not relinquish their hold. This is still a decent beer, but doesn't live up to the very high standards of your typical BCBS product. With that said, I wouldn't mind trying it again in a couple years to see if the berry flavor becomes a bit more tame.

Update -11/14
With a year on it, this bottle is tasting pretty fantastic. Side by side by side with Bramble and Cherry Rye, this was my favorite of the variants. Very glad I've still got one tucked in the cellar. Score updated form a 3.83 to a 4.25.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this multiple times. Always a bomber poured into snifter.

Pours dark black with a thin line of khaki head. Aroma is up front of sweet berries, with a strong lingering bourbon, roast and chocolate - as expected in the base. Taste is surprisingly sweet, fruity, chocolaty with the obvious base beer leading the way. Hard to believe such a strong beer can be dominated by this much fruity sweetness in a good way! Mouthfeel is thick, carbed to fit as expected. Hard to say anything bad about this beer. Takes the base BCBS and twists it upside down with an incredible fruity blend that does nothing but compliments all around.

4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had, bottle shared at SS'14.
This review is for a bottle from the cellar.

Poured into a Bourbon County tulip (2014 version). Appearance was pretty much like any BCBS, solid black/uber-brown color with a finger of dark brown head that receded to a thick collar, dabs of random lacing on the glass. Aroma of smooth whiskey, dark malts, semi-sweet chocolate, and a good dose of berry jam. I can't quite remember how much the fruit came through when this was "fresher," but it was still pretty prominent at this point. Nice taste, smooth dark malts, whiskey-soaked oak, berry medley, and a touch of tobacco smokiness that lingered into the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel, medium-full body, appropriately lower carbonation. Very nice, even if I still prefer the original.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

Opaque black, minimal head.

Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon.

Fruit shows up in the flavor. Raspberries. Yum.

Body is light. Slight alcohol warmth.

Chocolate and raspberries, with a bit of bourbon. Ecstasy. Not as sweet as this year's bourbon county. More character with the fruit additions.

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a great trade with Evan! An aggressive pour of this pitch black beer yields a one finger caramel colored head that faded quickly, but had some really nice lacing. The nose is totally dominated by the berries, followed closely by chocolate fudge, espresso, oak, booze, and some subtle rye. The taste is rich and bold with the berries and booze dominating. The oak and whiskey really emerge as it warms along with hints of chocolate fudge, vanilla, fresh berry jam, and subtle rye. The mouthfeel is creamy, thick, and syrupy with a mouth-coating finish. Overall, it's dangerously close to being cloying, and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Definitely a sipper, desert type of beer, but still very well done.

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.