Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013) - Goose Island Beer Co.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013)Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013)

Wants: 1,113
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.10% ABV

Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout is meant to show our immense gratitude to our neighbors here in Chicago – the loyal and adventurous fans whose support helped bring Bourbon County Brand Stout to towering new heights. Each year this release will differ from the previous year; a special variant created for Chicago and unique to the year it was released. Whether your first sip is today or was from that first batch in 1992, thank you for lifting us up on your big shoulders and joining us every year to celebrate the original bourbon barrel aged stout.

2013 variant - Rye Whiskey Barrels with Toasted Coconut

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-18-2013)
Reviews by sorvats:

Finally! After weeks of searching, Proprietor's BCS falls right into my lap, courtesy of an
uber-generous beer geek at Dark Horse's 2013 4-Elf party. Despite the opaque, red Solo
cup that I have, I can see the sheer blackness of Proprietor's BCS; big enough to run a
knife right through it, and topped with a lavish, dark tan layer of creme on top.

This beer sends me into an instantaneous O-face upon bringing the cup to my face. The
olfactory is amazing here, it's like a liquid Almond Joy themed mixed drink; raw coconut,
dark chocolate, smooth bourbon, hinted with lighter amounts of wet oak, oats, nuts, and
deep seeded vanilla in the very background... Simply outstanding.

After minutes of sniffing Proprietor's BCS, I finally take a sip and am jettisoned into pure
nirvana for a few moments. I'll say it again; liquid Almond Joy. All the elements are there.
Dark chocolate, coconut shavings, brown sugar, nuttiness, roast, bourbon, oak. Wow.

Just the first few sips were enough for me to begin raving about how good this beer is.
After finishing off my entire pour, I had my campaign speech ready to go... This is quite
simply one of the finest beers I've had in a long time. It seems Americans have recently
opened up to the adjunct craze, adding many unique ingredients to their beers. It does
not always work; but it couldn't be better in this case - find this beer... ASAP.

RE-RATE: Luckily enough, I able to secure my very own bottle of this not too long after
I sampled it at 4-Elf. Huge thanks to a long time Chicago buddy of mine for being very
generous in giving me a bottle from his personal stash at face value. In this day and age,
hold on to a friend like that! Enough babbling about my friends (like I have any), It is
time to review this thing proper.

Indiscernible from my first comments, only now I can see all sides. Black, black, black as
night, just like every BCS variant. Small tan foam, like you expected any less.

The nose is standard BCS with a huge bruising of coconut shavings jumping forward and
hitting you right in the senses. Toasted Almond Joy candy. Fudge. Bourbon. Wood.
Everything I was getting before, full force & still just as incredible.

Probably the biggest difference for me here was the taste after letting the glass warm
up just a bit. I didn't have that luxury before, but now I do. After about 20 minutes or
so, things turn from excellent to near-perfection. Once more - toasted nuts, coconut
shavings, dark chocolate, roast, bourbon, wood, vanilla. Insanely smooth. I don't think
you could pick out a flaw if you tried. This is perfect, my friends.

4.63/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bottle into a snifter
bottled on: 19Nov13

A big thanks to NHbeerguy for sending this one over via trade!

A: Pours an opaque black with some browning on the edges and 1/2 fingers width of fizzy mocha colored head. Head dissipate down very quickly, then some floaters can been seen on the top of the beer which is presumably coconut. Leaves effectively no lacing but some of the floaters stick to the edges of the glass. 4

S: Tons of the traditional bourbon county brand goodness, with chocolatey fudge, vinous dark fruits and roasted malt. Next I get some coconut, which is more subtle than I expected. Bourbon characters are there, with an oaky vanilla and bourbon-y booze. Excellent but I would appreciate more coconut flavors. 4.25

T: Very sweet and very boozey. Heavy bourbon/whiskey notes as well with charred oak and vanilla. Lots of dark chocolate, then the coconut starts to come out. At time it tastes like an Almond Joy. I also get some dark fruits, roasty characters, coffee like bitterness, and booze. Excellent and continues to get better throughout the drink. 4.75

M/D: Full bodied, a bit chewy, ABV is certainly noticeable (as is expected in a 14plus% ABV'er), but adds to the complexity and is not hot going down. Maybe a touch syrupy at times but its fairly smooth and all things considered drinkability is great. 4.25

O: This is pretty fantastic. Overall, I would have still liked a more prominent coconut presence, but still a great beer. Absolutely worth seeking out. 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +3.6%

Holy of all holy shit baskets... 3 friggen thousand reviews... never in a million years would I have thought that I would get to this many reviews... I also thought that with many other levels, so this is just crazy. Shared this epic epic bastard with the usual rudzud, and a ridiculous thanks to oN3xM (Reddit) for this one. I need to thank him again.

Pours very little head which disappears instantly, legs are great and long, pitch black color no light coming through. However, a nice swirling action kicks up that bastard like the head was meant to be, a battle between the fluffy mocha head and the tingly alcohol.

Nose is just phenomenal, so much awesomeness!!! So much dark roasted malts, tons of cocoa and dark choc, a mild cookie dough and chocolate chip, amazing toasted coconut that's very toasted and awesome, a bit of caramel and vanilla barrel, dark chocolate, some fresh coffee roast and earthy coffee, some juicy roast and malt goodness, biscuity cookie with tons and tons of coconut and the essence of perfection.

Taste is zomg!!! Amazing dark malts, dark choc, caramel, nice fresh roasted coffee, great vanilla barrel with toasted oak, and very mild whisky like notes. Then tons of great toasted coconut, fresh roasted coconut with dark choc layers like a super expensive exotic mounds bar, with cookie base, and caramel filling. with orgasmic layers in between. A hint of warming booze in the middle, and mild bitter earthy hop. Finish lingers with amazing dark choc and tons of toasted coconut, caramel, chewy, etc, hint of whisky and vanilla barrel. I really don't think it could get any better than this!

Mouth is full bod, very little booze warmth, little creamy and very rich, little velvety, but lighter carb. The ligher carbonation may be the only thing holding this back from perfect 5 across the board as it keeps down the mouth feel and head appearance,

Overall crazy awesome, phenomenal, only real drawbacks are lack of carbonation and head, otherwise it would have been perfect across the board and best beer I'd ever had. So Close though, and so phenomenal regardless... thanks so much for this experience.

3.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Got this one from hotpipes in a recent box. Thanks a bunch for tracking this down for me!

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage 2013
Bottled 19 November 2013
Bottle 1246

APPEARANCE: Pours out black and yields a one finger, loose, extremely fizzy dark tan head with horrid retention. Head fizzes away like Coke down to a ring in the blink of an eye. Terrible head. Pitch black body with no carbonation evident. Some definite coconut floaties in there, which is rather unacceptable at this point in the game. I can't imagine they dry coconutted in the bottle here. Looks very flat by the end. It's black, sure, but the wretched looking head and floaties makes me wonder how anyone could possible give this a positive score.

SMELL: Smells like Bourbon County with just a hint of fresh coconut in it. Lots of bourbon barrel with oak, vanilla, coconut and a hint of fresh coconut flesh from the additions. Boozy as well. The coconut is actually very nicely measured here, adding just enough to enhance the aroma. Hints of dark chocolate under the coconut and bold barrel aromas. This is actually quite good.

TASTE: Again, this is basically Bourbon County with a touch of fresh coconut. Follows the nose perfectly in that regard. Lots of bourbon, oak and vanilla up front with a hint of fresh coconut as well, then a big swallow with more barrel, some definite coconut flesh, some bitter dark chocolate and a touch of roasted malt from the base beer. Lots of barrel with vanilla, coconut, milk chocolate, oak and a bit of alcohol linger, while the fresh coconut comes and goes rather quickly. Still boozy, but not as much as the base beer usually is. Very good actually, but a touch boozy still for top marks.

PALATE: Same Bourbon County feel that tends to fall short. Medium body and carbonation, though still lighter on the palate than it should be. A touch creamier than the other variants, luckily, but still goes down prickly with a burn at the swallow and finishes very sticky. Lots of heat lingers. A bit creamier than other variants perhaps, but still too hot, prickly and abrasive.

OVERALL: This is certainly one of the better variants in the series. Perhaps my favorite. The coconut is well measured, adding a nice element to the coconut flavors already present from the bourbon barrels, and it seems to help mellow out the harsh alcohol and abrasive feel a little as well, which makes it much easier to drink. Despite these improvements, it is still too harsh and boozy for top marks in the style, and the floaties make this variant look even less appealing than its compatriots. That all said, I very much enjoyed this one, as the aromas were enticing and the flavor delicious. Would love to drink more of it at some point. Thanks again hotpipes. This was certainly a treat.

Poured into a Bourbon County snifter from a 22oz bottle.

Pours a oily dark black viscous liquid with a thin tan head that rises up briefly and then just dissipates into nothingness. There are notes of flakey oily coconut floating around the brew.

Aroma is exquisite! Notes of fresh coconut, coconut cream with notes of molasses and bourbon to back everything up. Slight boozy heat with some nice notes of rye grain. There is some slight roast to the nose like some dark chocolate/bakers chocolate but its quickly covered up by awesome coconut sweetness.

Flavor is out of this world. Beer starts off with notes of sweet coconut with some spicy rye notes. Notes of mild chocolate fudge is present as well. The flavor is just rich and complex with the great notes of chocolate and coconut underlain be boozy heat notes. Absolutely delicious. Nice notes of chocolate can be perceived as well as notes of mild almond with some nice coconut roast. This brew is truly amazing. Just a delight to delve into the amazing sweetness with chocolate notes and mild roast. The mouthfeel is delicious, oily, slick with some nice heat on the backend.

Its hard to say truly but right now this has to be one of my favorite variants. I thought Cherry rye was terrific but this really blew my mind. Amazing.

4.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 11/19/13...Drank 12/9/14

As I suspected would be the case, the coconut has almost completely faded from this beer after a year. Disappointing in that regard, as I love coconut, but it still tastes damn good. In fact, it tastes almost exactly like a regular 1-2 year old Bourbon County (which I love), but with maybe the slightest hint of Almond Joy in the nose and a faint touch of rye whiskey spiciness in the finish. If you're looking for coconut don't bother seeking it out at this point. Very tasty, but I really wish I had tried this when it was fresh.

4.79/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I open this bottle with great anticipation. The pour is a beautiful motor oil black. Smooth as it fills my snifter. Tan bubbles immediately dissipate. The aroma is impeccable in regards to the bourbon and coconut. I would be satisfied if this were all I got, but now it's time to taste. Classic Bourbon County Stout up front. A rye spicyness in the middle and toasty coconut on the back end. The coconut is somewhat subdued compared to the nose and I hope this isn't because I didn't get to try this sooner. Despite this, the flavor is great and definitely executed better than the few other coconut beers I've tried. I wish I got this sooner, but amazing as it stands.

4.51/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours one shade shy of black with no head. Nose expresses bourbon, chocolate, ethanol, some coconut notes and a hint of vanilla. Taste is reminiscent of a Mounds bar - malty and chocolatey. Mouthfeel is medium in body with an even carbonation and a mild ethanol burn. Overall, I don't know how this beer was fresh, but it's tasting great. Probably one of my all-time favorites to date.

4.25/5  rDev -9.8%

4.43/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz brown bomber with a freshness date.

Pours thick like the original and the other variations. Toasted coconut on top of boozy molasses, spicy rye fusels, charred wood and alcohol soaked raisins makes for a lovely nose. Syrupy thick body, big kiss of toasted coconut in the middle with dark sugar sweetness throughout. Just enough barrel action with hints of tannin, boozy rye and barrel char.

A massive brew no doubt, love this variation just as much as the rest and love that they are still pushing the limits even with just some flavoring. Worth the hunt ...

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013) from Goose Island Beer Co.