Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013) - Goose Island Beer Co.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013)Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013)

Wants: 1,153
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.10% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout is meant to show our immense gratitude to our neighbors here in Chicago – the loyal and adventurous fans whose support helped bring Bourbon County Brand Stout to towering new heights. Each year this release will differ from the previous year; a special variant created for Chicago and unique to the year it was released. Whether your first sip is today or was from that first batch in 1992, thank you for lifting us up on your big shoulders and joining us every year to celebrate the original bourbon barrel aged stout.

2013 variant - Rye Whiskey Barrels with Toasted Coconut
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,492 | Reviews: 132

4.25/5  rDev -9.8%

4.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours out dark as night. Couldn't be any darker with a small dark brown head with little retention. Smell is intense chocolate, dark fruits, dark malts. Ironically no smell of coconut at all. The chocolate is overpowering. Taste is more intense chocolate, dark malts, intense chocolate, a little bit of coconut which gives it a sweet taste, and did I say intense awesome chocolate. Mouthfeel is thicker than any stout I have ever drank. Overall the series is always a favorite and this doesn't disappoint. The coconut adds a little sweetness but is not overpowering as the coconut is fairly faint but appreciated greatly by this guy. The coconut just adds another great dimension. Not the most coconut I have ever tasted in a beer but this is just right for me today.

Edit: It was quite warm when I popped it but as it warmed up even more the coconut does seem to come out more. This is the first 5 I have given for anything. I can't taste or smell any booze at all.

4.5/5  rDev -4.5%

4.83/5  rDev +2.5%

I really wanted to hate this beer, maybe it's because I wanted to "be above the hype" or maybe because I hate coconut flavor, but I was very surprised when I loved this.

22oz bottle poured into 6oz snifter.

A: I noticed little flakes floating in the bottle I can't see them in the glass.

S: smooth nose, no alcohol, lots of toffee, vanilla, and of course coconut but none overpower each other.

T: heavenly, this is definitely the best stout variant I've had this year, and arguably of them all. Vanilla gives this a run for its money but given the choice between this and rare, I'd say proprietors all day!

M: silky, leaves a smooth feeling in the mouth. Great subtle coconut aftertaste (and I hate coconut!)

Overall this is a ridiculously good beer.

4.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle opened on 1.2.14
Bottled On: 19NOV13

A - Pours a very dark brown with an active dark brown head that is gone fast leaving coconut floaters and oils.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, coconut.

T - Bourbon and chocolate, vanilla, then tons of coconut.

D - Good carbonation with a heavy body.

O - Super flavors, coconut is pleasant with out being overly sweet. Amazing beer!

4.75/5  rDev +0.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013) from Goose Island Beer Co.