Ten Hills Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

Ten Hills Pale AleTen Hills Pale Ale

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: a0lbudman on 11-15-2013

Reviews: 153 | Hads: 1,006
2.14/5  rDev -41.8%

Sampling right now on 3/24/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pint glass.

Pours a copper-orange in color with a thin white head that lasted through the drinking. Lots of lacing was seen with each sip. The aroma is of various hops and grains. The taste is the same with a slight citrus and floral coming through, BUT ends with a bitter and dry aftertaste. Seems to get stronger with each sip. Ended up pouring about half of it out since it was too 'hoppy' for my liking. (511 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

Perhaps my taste-buds don't appreciate pale ales and IPAs properly, but I have yet to find one of either category that I like. They taste like soapy water mixed with intolerably bitter hops, in my opinion. Could barely finish Goose Island's Ten Hills Pale Ale, with every sip becoming harsher and harsher in terms of flavoring. Perhaps I'm just not one for these kinds of beers, however, I can at least appreciate that more time, effort, and labor goes into these than your average macrobrew. As usual, I'm stuck at the corner of admiration and recognition rather than actual appreciation. (589 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a shiny clear dark amber color. A foamy cream colored head recedes to a nice layer of film with random bubbly lacing on the glass.

The aroma is very spicy, which overpowers the malt and hop presence. Some floral notes are in there as well.

The taste starts with subtle sweetness then heads into a tangy black tea note. Woody spices and faint hops finish the profile.

The mouthfeel is harsh. Too carbonated, perhaps.

Overall, there's something about the taste and aroma that I cannot identify that makes me not care for this beer much. (586 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

Bottled on 11/7/13. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pretty amber with great clarity; fluffy off-white head that fades and leaves nice retention and lacing. Great color. The aromas are full of malts and breads. There's some hints of pine and citrus. Some orange peel in the mix. The flavors have a solid hop bitterness to it. More bread and malts. Very earthy. Some grass. Pine needles in the mix. Some more orange with subtle hints of grapefruit. Lemon and lime zest is there. Finishes dry for the most part. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with active carbonation. It's pretty smooth. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's refreshing.

I guess I'm not too crazy about this one, but I appreciate them staying true to the style. Not bad. (736 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Noticed that this is brewed in Baldwinsville, btw--so it's more Anheuser-Busch than Goose Island, probably. I was expecting more from GI. Kind of a harsh bitter taste, like hops extract, maybe. Good body, color, head retention, just not an entirely pleasant taste. (264 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Ten Hills has a copper-brown, clear body and pours a moderate sized, light tan head with good retention and moderate lacing. Smells of caramel malt, herbal hops, and stale bread.

Taste starts with caramel malt, then a hint of orange and musty grapefruit, followed by hearty bread and herbal hops. Has a metallic aftertaste, that ruins the flavor a bit. Feel is heavier than average with expected carbonation for an APA. (420 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -13%

I've had this both on tap and from the bottle in the last week. I had hoped it was bad draught but the bottle confirmed that this beer blows. It is so bad i'd actually like my money back, i have 5 more in my fridge if anyone wants them. The appearance is super dark for a pale, honestly, it's dark even for a stiff IPA. The taste is nothing like i'd expect, Pale Ale is a real stretch in name. This is a poorly flavored IPA. No fruit, pine, kind of spicy but overall just pretty shitty. (486 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Deep amber glass shows good clarity and holds a quarter finger of foam with a few spots of lace.

Smell: Hops are evident at arms length, closer stiff gives off some malt extract, and a lot of earthy hops, with a little papery oxidation (no date on bottle).

Taste: Malt and hops are well balanced, malt lasts longer and slowly fades out sweet and malty. The oxidation note is there, but not a deal breaker.

Feel: Medium body and carbonation, oily finish.

Overall: An earthy pale ale, pretty standard, would probably be great locally on tap but hasn't traveled well down to Texas. It's a new label, we may have had old stock dumped on us. (653 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Nice white lacing and foam. Copper orange. Fairly flat as far as carbonation is concerned.

Smell: Orange and cinnamon. Very malty. Lots of caramel. Not a whole lot of yeast, but there is a slight bread-y whiff. Very neutral overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Again, this is very neutral. Some oak and maple in the head, followed by some faint grapefruit and orange. I do enjoy the sweetness. Mouthfeel is way too thin for a pale ale. Almost zero carbonation.

Overall: Disappointing. (488 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Pale amber with 1 finger of off-white head that dissipates quickly. Crystal clear with low-moderate carbonation.

Nose
Honey, caramel, florals and grapefruit.

Taste
Fairly malt forward Pale Ale. Honey and caramel backbone. Honeydew melon and light hop notes of pink grapefruit pith and florals. Finishes with touches of residual pine bitterness and earth.

Mouthfeel
Medium-plus bodied, oily, somewhat sticky and semi-dry.

Overall
Very malt forward with a surprisingly full body. Generally not what I look for in a Pale Ale. (577 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Clear amber, good head.

Smell: Earthy, mild citrus.

Taste: Biscuit malt, mild citrus, bit of toffee. Very easy drinker.

Overall: A pretty generic pale ale from GI here. I picked up a bottle to fill out my mixed 6 pack. Seems on the border between English pale and American pale--not malty enough for EPA and not hoppy enough for APA, so pretty generic. (367 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 Nov 13 bottling date.
Vigorous pour into the recommended pint glass.
General look is promising, full 2+ finger head which lingers with moderate lacing.
This beer is hard to pin down. The aroma is overpowered by the "herbal notes" of the beer aka there isnt much of a hop or malt aroma. The taste is overly bitter. As more of the glass is consumed this bitter taste becomes tannin like, which drys your mouth out and enhances what bitterness there is in the beer. What ever herbal notes listed on the bottle also seem to ruin the mouthfeel as well as the taste.

--I was disapointed by this beer for two reasons. First there were no citrus hop notes as stated by the label. My guess is what little were there to begin with were drown out by the over powering herbal hop notes. Personally when I go for a APA (which I like very much) I wish to have quite a bit of citrus hop flavor in it. Secondly I am extremely disapointed to see this beer was bottled in Baaldwinsville NY, when named for a classic Chicago neighborhood (I live a couple hours outside the city, I would expect a local brewery to brew a local beer? ) (1,119 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served cold and poured in a mug.

A- Light amber in color with a strong bodied head approximately 2-3 fingers in height.

S- Slightly hoppy with traces of citrus.

T-Modest taste of malt and grains at the beginning and becomes more subtle as it finishes.

M- About as bitter as a good APA should be. However, the lack of carbonation leaves it somewhat flat and takes away from what could be a solid pale ale. Not necessarily a "cheap" mouthfeel but it is the one thing that is holding this brew back and is noticeably its weakness.

O- This is a decent APA. It is nothing to write home about and I am surprised. I expected more from Goose Island, but it is still a solid APA. (675 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

L: A good one and a half inches of head, thickish foam a good beige-ish off white color. Good retention on the head too. Absolutely clear perfect copper color I'd say 10-11 on the SRM chart.

S: Great aroma, immediately good amounts of both fruity and floral. There is a little toastiness and richness to it as far as hops - low to moderate like it says it should be 4 an American Pale Ale. The fruity scents are a little tangerine and I would say even blueberry, not strong, but I got a little whiff of them with the beer siting on the table about a foot and a half away from me. So, esters definitely present. Alcohol is definitely there, but not too strong.

T: Once I tased it, that's when the maltiness kicked in. Definitely a toasted flavor towards the dark end of the spectrum. A little earthy, a little grassy with a grapefruit flavor to it. A little bit of floral by the fourth sip, not much.

F: Mildly astringent at the very end medium body and thickness. Definitely dry at the finish. No sweetness that I could taste. Medium carbonation to the high side of medium.

O: Not bad. It hit a lot of the marks for the American Pale Ale standard. It wasn't jump out of the pack, but it wasn't bad either. I would say it fits about in the middle, but they did get a pretty color. Nice kick at 6.2% ABV though. (1,330 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Crystal clear and light apricot colored with ruddy edges and a low off-white head that settles quickly. Low aroma of apple and pear, some biscuity malt. Flavor of bready malt, subtle hops, honey, firm bitterness, some lemon and pepper, grassy notes. Moderate mouthfeel, not too full. Decent beer overall, but not among this producer's best. (340 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Purchased in a 12 pack variety goose island from Meijers for 12$ on sale.

Appearance:
Darker than a lager… not as dark as an amber. Clear, filtered, pasturized. Looks like budget beer.

Smell:
Nothing remarkable.

Taste:
Beat my expectations by a lot. Great tasting really, mellow, nice hop aftertaste. Just the right amount of bitter for my preference.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel of water. Very processed. Overly carbonated.

Overall:
This isn’t an IPA. To me that’s a good thing as I don’t prefer a very bitter beer. As a pale ale, I’d compare it to other pale ales like Bass. And, for that market it’s surpassed them by a lot in flavor.

This is a excellent beer at this price point. Paid 1$ a bottle, and it’s one of the better filtered budget beers I’ve had. I could enjoy six of these easily during an outdoor event.
That said, at no point did I want to slowly sip and savor it.
It’s very one dimensional, but it tastes good. (948 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opened on 4.13.14
Bottled: 7NOV13

A - Pours a clark darker orange with a creamy, light tan head with good retention.

S - Malty, bready, biscuity.

T - Malty, bready, watery.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Malty and watery. Not a good combo. (264 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a tumbler.

In my defense, it actually was my day off... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear sunrise brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises somewhat mild pine sap, light grass, light flowers, and mild toffee. The taste brings in more of the same, the pine kinda blunt, but still mild enough to the point that it doesn't matter. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a decent little pale ale, nothing to write home about at all, but it's drinkable. (540 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Poured copper with a strong and long lasting two finger head.
S - Not able to pick out to much, Malt and some faint hops.
T - Nothing jumps out at me but it has a hop bitterness and some herbal notes.
M - Medium body and carbonation.
O - While I don't drink much Goose Island "craft beer" I saw limited release on the bottle along with a hops from elf mountain farms, seemed interesting. Turns out Elk Mountain Farms is Anheuser-Buschs hop farm. Another example of a macro brewer pretending to be micro. I should have know better. (541 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The citrus / pine (?) hit me at first sip, but subsequently mellows out. Strong after taste, would be better with a food pairing. The 'pale ale' label ignored - not quite the bitterness - a decent taste. Not sure if I would like to drink a few of them, though, due to the heavy aftertaste. May buy again, next year. (315 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a deep bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit on the malty side. Taste is malts up front, some light hops, drinks almost more like an English pale ale. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, not a bad beer per se, but one was enough for me. (303 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Goose Island's Ten Hills Pale Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I saw this limited release from Goose Island on the shelf and I thought I should take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on November 22 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it may not be the most eye catching, but I like that they tell you exactly where the hops are grown at. It poured a pretty clear amber color that took more of a copper and ruby color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it has an aroma that reminds me a little of candied sugar and it's followed by some hops that have a very light herbal and light piney aroma, but it's the citrus and fruity hops that seem to stick out the most and impart a nice fruity citrus rind aroma. Up next comes the malts with some caramel malts and toffee like aromas with the sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. Towards the end comes a light sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had decent aroma, the hop profile wasn't bad, but it was a little too sweet smelling for me.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with medium amount of sweetness which is just at the right level and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some caramel malt, grainy, and light bready flavors with a light amount of sweet malts in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma but with none of them seeming to stick out most and it's a little lighter then I was expecting and it all comes together for a hoppy flavor that just tastes kind of generic. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers for just a little bit with a grainy malt, slightly bready, and generic hop flavors in the aftertaste. This was a decent and pretty standard tasting Pale Ale, but I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that was pretty true to style.

Overall I thought this was a decent American Pale Ale and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style with it not having anything that sets it apart from all the other average American Pale Ales that seem to flood the market. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I could see myself getting bored with it so I think one would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the kind of generic hop flavor and the high amount of sweetness in the aroma, I think those were the two weakest points of this beer. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I might order a pint to go with food, but I don't think I'll be stocking up on this Limited Release and I can't say I would recommend it as Good American Pale Ale, but it's not a bad beer. All in all I thought this this beer fell right in the middle of the style, it wasn't bad and there wasn't anything offensive about it, but it wasn't memorable to me and it didn't have anything that made it stand out. Better luck next time guys, this one was a little bit of a disappointment. (3,689 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Attractive dark amber brew with a modest cap of foam in the pint shaker. Moderate carbonation. Some hoppy notes in the mild aroma.

Tangy and spicy with a big dose of hops. Surprisingly rich for the moderate alcohol content. Flavors of grilled pineapple, pear nectar, and browned biscuits. Fairly malty Bitter finish. Fairly tasty, but the funky dankness is less than appealing. Not what you'd call refreshing.

On tap at District 13 in Hollywood, Calif., which is worth a visit to help fortify you against the dreadful surroundings. [notes from 25 Feb 2014 visit] (564 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz undated bottle served in a goblet.

Pours a dark amber color with excellent clarity and a decent head.

Has a nice spicy/herbal aroma from the hops, but the flavor is a bit too earthy for my tastes. As should be the case, some malts evident beneath the hops.

Fee: Medium body is smooth, with modestly lively carbonation. (330 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Light amber tan/brown, nice foamy 22 inch head with lots of lacing.

Smell - Dank, grassy hops. Pale malts, minor aroma of added sugars. A little herbal note in the finish. Fairly weak overall aroma.

Taste - Sweet fruits mixed in with some added sugars at first sip. Has orange, tangerine and lemon as main flavors. Sweet sugary candy flavor, somewhere between taffy and little hug fruit juice. Malts have a roasty flavor to go along with some spices.

Mouthfeel - Hops provide a bitter note on both the tongue and palate. Malts add bold flavors to the tongue, where hops and sugars leave a sweet note on the palate. Aftertaste is minor hop bitter and sweet fruits.

Overall -Pretty good and easy to enjoy. Has a sweet citric flavor that makes it easy to drink but its not something id want to drink a lot of. The wheat is masked under all the fruits and sugars, throwing the balance off some. Still worth a drink. (952 characters)

Ten Hills Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.