Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,086
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros

4.73/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

4.98/5  rDev +8.5%

Released in 2014, labeled 2013.

Appearance is dark motor oil, with little head. The head that is present consists of a caramel color.

Aroma is something incredibly special. You know this is an excellent beer just by the smell. It smells of an intense bourbon flavor. Some sweet molasses come forward. Huge hit of vanilla for sure! Absolutely outstanding.

Taste is phenomenal! This beer is thick… I mean it coats the palate! Intense flavors of vanilla, bourbon, coffee, and some maple syrup. A huge kick of alcohol at the end that warms and provides a nice flavor. The bourbon is the star of this beer. It is so intense that ALL stouts will fail in comparison. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS BEER! Very little carbonation. No hops present. No bitterness. Just smooth, thick, bourbon laced beer.

This is by far the best stout I have ever tried. I highly recommend it for anyone who says stouts aren’t good. I would typically agree, however, this could convert even the biggest haters of stouts. Normally I give a recommended pairing, but this beer needs a clean palate and an hour to fully enjoy it! An obvious 100/100 for me!

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured pitch black from a 12oz bottle, 2014 vintage. Minimal, coffee-colored head. Scent was not as strong as I was expecting. It was there, and you got a hint of bourbon, but not prominent. Taste was amazing. This is quite well balanced given the style. The bourbon was foremost, but it wasn't drowning in booze as I had expected, and was mixed with sweet notes of molasses and a hint of coffee. Delicious. Feel was tremendous; just the right amount of carbonation to please the palate, but also thick and filling. This one is worth the hype.

4.63/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.14/5  rDev -9.8%

4.96/5  rDev +8.1%

2.59/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 3.5

A little too thick for my taste but very strong beer. Good idea bad implementation.

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

4.73/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

3.74/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

4.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

my first experience with this beer was in a 6 oz snifter , after I had already destroyed my palate with a imperial IPA. It was delicious and very thick. I knew I liked it but I wasn't sure how altered it was from the first beer. So the next day I got two orders poured into a larger glass :). It is very bourbon forward in smell, the only other thing I could pull out aroma wise was a fruit that reminded me of plums...But not any plums , the plums I used to steal off my great grandmas tree on hot days the warm fresh plum only a kid could love.
As I remembered it had a very thick mouth-feel and the after-feel was that of clean barley-wine buried in an oak coffin. The entire drinking sensation was more of a neurological experience reconnecting me to smells and memories of picking fruit and stealing bourbon from my grandad's pantry that i had long forgotten.

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

This one has been staring at me each time I open the fridge since the day after Thanksgiving. I couldn't hold out any longer. Poured from a growler dark as night with almost no head. Smells super bourbon boozy bomb. Love the smell. Taste matches right up. So much going on. Tastes better the warmer it got. Loved everything about this beer. The hype matches this bad boy. Raul was right.

4.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful beer. Def in my top stouts.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.