Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,588
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,637 | Hads: 10,827

Pours a pitch-black with a tiny caramel colored head that vanishes right away. Aromas if extremely rich. Tons of dark, overripe fruits, raisins, plums...vanilla bean, oak, molasses, maple syrup, the list goes on and on. Very in your face aroma and I think I smelled this beer for about 5 minutes before I even took a sip. Tastes is even more jaw-dropping and complex. Initial flavors of overripe fruits ala rasins, figs, and the like. Then steps in HUGE flavors of vanilla, coffee, chocolate, slight oakiness, nutty, roasty, molasses....absolutely phenomenal. This beer has one of the most amazing lingering aftertastes of any beer I have ever had. Mouthfeel is also ridiculous. Definitely one of the top 3 most viscous beers I have ever had as well. I can literally feel this beer coating my mouth. I feel like I have to chew it before swallowing. Light on the carbonation but seems perfect for this brew. Nice warmth in the finish. I cannot stop smelling and tasting this beer, sip after sip...and that;s a dangerous thing at 13%. Definitely one of the most amazing beers I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. I only bought a single 12oz bottle to see if it was worth the price as I am often very skeptical nowadays. But this beer delivers in spades. Time to stock up. I can only imagine what this beer will offer with some years on it. Gawdayum!

I had the 2012 edition. This beer is black! It has been perfectly aged in the bourbon giving a nice deep flavor and a bit of the caramel from the barrel. Highly recommended.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Completely black, almost no head and it was brown. No lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, smokey bourbon notes, with coffee and malts in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, thick and full bodied. Bourbon and alcohol dominate the palate with roasted coffee, malts, and carmel and some sweet cream too, maybe.

Overall: Very warm and complex brew. Well balanced. Excellent sipping beer with charicteristics similar to a fine wine.

Goose Island's 2009 Bourbon County Stout promises that one sip will have "more flavor than your average case of beer." Judging by the smell alone, this promise doesn't seem exaggerated: the brew is ripe with bourbon, milk chocolate, dark (90%) chocolate, figs, port, molasses, tobacco, and anise.

On the tongue, the first flavor is an intense bourbon & charcoal burst, followed by an almost equally-intense injection of black licorice, smoky tobacco, port, chocolate & black malts, all atop a thick bed of almost-burnt sugars. The power of these flavors cannot be understated, and even the hyperbolic promise that every sip has more flavor than a case of beer seems understated. So heady is the brew that the liquid seems supersaturated, and it is difficult to imagine that any more flavor could have been squeezed into the bottle. As a result, the mouthfeel is highly syrupy--thicker even than condensed milk--and so little room is left for anything else that carbonation barely manages a medium-light.

Overall, while I think this is one of the more astounding beers I've ever tasted, I do recognize that only the most hardy of beer-drinkers could appreciate the result. Buyer beware, then: if you think Guinness is borderline, this is definitely not the drink for you. But if you seek the thickest, darkest, mealiest, most flavorful stout on the planet, you have a shot at a contender with this one.

Had on tap at the Pig & Fiddle
L: Brilliant black under a 1” dark tan finely bubbled foam collar.
S: Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, vanilla
T: Big dreamy chocolaty, coffee, bourbon flavors.
F: A very smooth creamy palate that almost has a nitro beer texture without the reduction in flavor.
O: One of the better things done to a bourbon barrel in a long time – all of the flavors are big, but well balanced – nothing is harsh or out off place.

My wife bought me a 2008 and I held it for three years, It was amazing. Local store got in it's allotment recently and I bought a few. Having one fresh and will hold one for a while.

A: Poured like oil with a half inch oaken head that dissipates slowly. It looked and smelled amazing.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, booze almost floral. Rich and intoxicating.

T: Just what I remember... just better. What do they say about this beer, One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. Enough said.

M: Definitely a sipper, but O what a sipper!

O: Definitely one of my favorite beverages of all time. I thought the 2008 was unreal... then I had the 2012. Enough said. I can't wait for it's sibling to mature.

Back before I really understood how to rate beers, I threw around the perfect score a little too much, however, this vintage of BCS deserves it...

2011 vintage, 12 oz bottle into a Perennial Artisan Ales tulip.

A: Pours a thick oily black just like every year. A deep mocha cinnamon heads slowly forms.

S: Heaven. Im a bourbon lover and this beer fits me perfectly. Aroma this year is less boozy and less abrasive than the '09 or '07 Ive had recently. Vanilla, almonds, toffee, caramelized sugars, bourbon, mocha, dark espresso hint.

T: Huge thick mouth-coating texture. This years 14.5% is very well hidden. Luscious is the best way to describe it. Right up there with the best BCS vintage yet, the '08.

M: Huge

I have always loved this beer and this year was no exception. Is definitely drinking better fresh than any of the previous years and excited to see how it ages out. Ive probably had more BA stouts than any other category of beer, and other than Rare, I dont think anything beats this years BCS...

2011 12oz bottle poured into my frosted trolls tulip.

A- Black and thick. It's everything a barrel aged stout should look like. A nice, fast brown head dissipates into a thin ring of lace around the edge of my glass.

S- Bourbon-chocolate covered goodness. So much in the way way of amazing. Good bourbon presence with dark chocolate, malts and roast. Some dark fruit and molasses.

T- Nice beautiful bourbon balance, they truly are the pioneers of this art. For a fresh bourbon aged stout it as some heat but its so smooth. The chocolate and dark malt flavor helps calm it a little. I cant wait to try one aged!!!! I've tried many years with this being my first review and I must say 2011 is the best. Maybe one last bang before Budweiser takes over.

M- Perfect. It is that of melted bourbon flavored chocolate. Little carbonation with no oxidation to speak of. It smooth, thick and creamy. All bourbon aged stouts should try to mimic this consistency.

O- As if I haven't said enough.... This is one of the best Barrel Aged Stouts ever. I will seek and consume every chance I get. I feel like this one in two years will be arguably one of the best of it's kind.

Thanks to a co-worker I was able to taste this beer. I was totally amazed about this one. I have heard so much about it. Last year, we sold all of our allocations to our customers, so I never had the chance to taste even one

Not this year! It poured like any good stout should, dark, dark and darker with a off color creamy head.

The difference with this one came with the aroma. So many stouts, I was always getting those perfect aromas of coffee and chocolate and the follow on taste would back up what my noise felt.

With this one, I could not detect any chocolate or coffee. For a second or so, I could pick up a "Tawny Port" type of nose. The alcohol is there, but there is also so much more going on

My first sip! Soft and Round, really no alcohol taste to it considering how high the ABV is. But as this one was finishing, what I could pick up was a strong but not over bearing taste of molasses. It was if I was transported to Tennessee, on the farms where buckets of molasses are so present. So needless to say, I enjoyed this stout.

Very unique, something I have never tasted before, but am looking to tasting it again.

Just love the jet black pour into a proper beer glass with a small but dirty creamy head that is really inviting. The initial aroma is coffee, but again, its alcohol and the third sniff, I picked up sweetness like molasses

The first sip was big, very big and full. Letting the beer hit all parts of my mouth, I think what stood out was the bitterness. Taging along was the feel of bourbon from the wooden casks

The finish was big, as big as the beginning, but here the tastes changed somewhat. I felt more of a rich sweetness that coated my throat to handle the burnt-woody alcohol flavor.

As my first tasting of this. Truly unique, very different. I was fortunate enough to taste Goose Islands Chocolate Stout and Barely wine. All three were very unique and enjoyable. But this one was sort of out there, but in a very good way.

Lot of hype surrounding this beer. Took a little to obtain this. Got a chance to try it a week after I bought it. It was everything it was cracked up to be. Poured black as night into a tulip glass. Overwhelmingly power smell of alcohol specifically bourbon eminating from the glass. Slight brown head. Small amount of carbonation at the top stops fairly short after the pour. Not many bubbles lasting the entire two hour journey. Very powerful on the tastebuds. Robust malt flavor, with hints of chocolate. It's almost like drinking a hard alcohol beverage. Leaves legs on the glass as if it were a Cabernet from Napa Valley. I recommend to all and would say yes, it's worth the $9 a bottle, but next year if it crept up to $10 a bottle I'd opt for something else.

Previous review of 2008 Reserve on 3/07/2011: (4.66)

Not following regular format here.

This is a very near perfect beer. Age has done wonders for this beer. Tons on vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits, hints of chocolate and cake batter mellowed and blended perfectly together.

What can I say that already hasn't been said? When it comes to complexity in any beer I've ever had, I don't think there's ever been more.

The only downfall I can find is that it's a little sugary towards the end but at 13% it's expected. This is the only reason why this doesn't get 5's across the board excluding drinkability. Not sure any variation of BCS deserves a 5 in drinkability. Sipper for sure.

I'm SO happy after having this one that the RARE is the same year. I won't touch that one and only RARE I'm cellaring for at least another year.

2013 Re-Review:

Again, not following regular format here.

This displays everything flawlessly about what Bourbon Barrels lend to Beer. Obviously Stouts in general, but this for me is the perfect Bourbon barrel Aged beer.

Fudge cake pastry Chocolate soaked in Bourbon with some mild dark fruits and heat in the finish. Vanilla Oak and sticky, yet smooth. That sticky Barrel just lingers on the palate for days! Keep smacking my lips minutes after each sip, and Loving it.

Mouthfeel thick and sticky, yet Pure Satin Velvet and smooth.

This beer is fresh. Bottled in November 2013 and I'm finding this hard that much age will improved upon this specimen. When I had a 2008 bottle back in 2011, it was basically the same beer I'm tasting now from memory, only more sweet and sugary. If that is what age will do to this, I say drink this fresh! I can find no flaws. The epitome for the style IMHO.

The only other perfect 5 Beer I've given besides PtE after 4 & 1/2 years on this site.

ISO the base beer! Any takers?

2010 edition served in a tulip glass.

A: pitch black, thick, viscous looking. Very little head, light brown ring of bubbles.

S: wow, what an aroma. Vanilla, coconut, toffee, toasty malt, and of course bourbon.

T: rich, tasty; tastes like it smells. Balanced sweetness and hop bitterness, delicious mix of roasty dark malts, caramel, toffee, oak, and just enough bourbon. Very similar to KBS but maybe slightly more balanced.

M: luxurious mouthfeel, smooth, creamy, silky. Light carbonation.

D: very drinkable, but in limited quantities. For me I savor it like a fine cigar. Two would be too much.

A damn fine beer, right up there with the best of the best.

2006 release. A little over a year in the cellar.

I loved this thing from the get-go. It pours like a malfunctioning printer spewing ink. Jet black. The type of shit you don't want to get on your clothes....at least your nice stuff. The head is more a slumped shoulder of dark tan, as there is no chance for it to gather the vigor to rise very far above the molten body.
Now is where it truly gets special. A literal stampede up the nose. Coffee, fudge, Bourbon (the good stuff too, and high proof, like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or George T. Stagg), after those three mainstays, its a kaleidoscopic array of fallout from berries (rasp- and blue-, and black-), black cherries, soy sauce, salt, barbecued beef fat, plum, and Pinot Noir.
It marinades the mouth with a briny coffee fudge Bourbon bombshell. It's like espresso mixed with soy sauce, tootsie rolls, barrel-proof Bourbon, prune juice, whole cherries, oak-barreled red wine, leather, and dried pine puree. And those are not suggestions, each one shows up exponentially on any given sip. Give it concentration, and it will morph into any of them and back again.
And that doesn't even touch on it's subtleties, which are too numerous to note, but burnt coconut, over-proof rum (a la boozy dark sugar), bbq beef, hot peppers, hazelnuts, cigar ash, and tar are all featured in bit roles. And yet the surface has merely been superficially scratched.
It's a thick, mouth-brutalizing, basically uncarbonated sludge. It's the closest American example to something like the polarizing Le Coq. Love it or hate it, it's thick, intense, and uncompromising. I happen to love it. It's drinkable only in that a glass will joyfully last the better part of an evening. And another glass will make the next evening every bit as enjoyable.
Haters will say that this is more marinade than beer. I'll say that they are right on, and I'd love to baste my head in this stuff as frequently as possible.
This scores as an experience. Buy a case, even at $5 a bottle, and it will last you indefinitely, as long as you want, or at least as long as you can ration out your hedonism.
As a stout, as a barrel-aged beer, or as something to remember and savor those special occasions with, this is tops, and without a close peer.
It is in every way phenominal.

glorious velvet mouth feel. Complex flavors from Chocolate, brandy, leather, hop, love how it changes with temperature. My favorite stout without a doubt

12 oz. draft in a snifter at Caliente Pizza & Draft House, Pittsburgh.

Simply, black. One finger of dark tan head quickly fades to a thin ring with moderate lacing. Not at all extraordinary-looking for an imperial stout, but exactly what it should be, and a beauty nonetheless.

The aroma is an incredible blend dominated by dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Not dark chocolate like a candy bar, but rather a fresh, hot devil's food cake. Surrounded by faint vanilla, toffee, dark fruits, bourbon, and a bit of smoke. I suppose at some point I have to stop smelling this and drink it.

Soft on the tongue with little carbonation. It's silky smooth, creamy, and thick without being too heavy or syrupy. Taste follows the nose pretty closely. Smooth dark coffee and slightly bitter dark chocolate lead the way. Caramel and toffee accents quickly follow, and I swear I'm getting a dark cherry sweetness that goes perfectly with the chocolate. The alcohol is warming in the finish, but I don't find it boozy at all. Barely noticing a very faint bourbon note, but perhaps that's because I drink too much actual bourbon. Either way, this is a masterpiece of dynamic flavors that intermingle flawlessly.

I wanted to find a reason NOT to rate this straight 5's, but I would have been lying to myself. Are there better stouts out there? I don't know, maybe. But this is the best I've had and I'll be thinking about it until the day I can get my hands on it again.

This is from the 2005 batch dated 01/01/05 and listed at 11%ABV

Poures completely Black with a small thin coffee colored layer of head that is gone in an instant.

Oh my does this smell ever so good, like a perfect combination of top shelf bourban mixing so perfectly with a deep coffee and bitter chocolate smell.

Wow the flavor is dead on perfect of everything I envisioned this beer to be. Nice Vanilla and caramel Bourban Notes blending perfectly with the dark coffee stout flavors. Ever so much like good sweet bourban inititally with very potent alcohol notes and a dark bitter Coffee and Chocolate finish with a slight earthy hop charachter. Perfect!

Mouthfeel is thick and full with a luscious creamy texture and a very noticeable strong warming.

Drinkability is excellent. While definitly not a session beer something special to be enjoyed and cherished. Can't wait to see how this holds up with some cellaring.

A perfect Stout! The only complaint on this is the huge Price tag, otherwise Great Job Goose Island!

This is my first beer review simply because I haven't made it a priority to review even though beer is a huge part of my life. I had to write about this amazing beer.

This is one of the best beers that I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. This 2008 poured out a deep dark color with a very thin head due to the 13% alcohol that was surprisingly drinkable. The flavor was robust with that of dark chocolate, vanilla, toffee and dark berries like cherry and plum . . . very malty and sweet. This beer is overwhelming in every sense. Simply amazing.

I had this my last night of visiting my family outside of Wichita, Kansas and have not found it nearby in Austin, Texas. I am going to have to have them ship me some for special occasions.

First things first, full disclosure. I've only had three or four gulps of this beer. IT was given to me by a friend at a car club meet kind of off-hand and he told me I could kill it. I had no idea what I was in for...

aaaand what I was in for was easily the best thing I have ever tasted; food, beer or otherwise. After my first drink I had to stop and admire the brilliance that I was holding. No, this wasn't just any other kind of beer that I had ever had... this was the pinnacle. This was the moment at prom when you saw the girl you've been in love with for your entire high school career from across the dance floor, time slowed down, you realized how truly beautiful she was and you decided to _go for it_.

The flavor was sublime. Strong in all the right ways, but still mellow and balanced. The high ABV was noticeable, but it played off well. Aged since 2009, any harshness or bite of the alcohol had been diminished significantly. Flavors of coffee, vanilla, toffee, chocolate and obviously bourbon were present, dancing around the palate. It wasn't too thick or thin in the mouth -- it was nice and creamy but still well carbonated and balanced.

I really hope that some day I'm able to pick up more of this. I've been searching but it's prohibitively expensive online ($200 for 4 22s!) and incredibly rare. Easily though the best beer I have ever had. If you get the opportunity... don't hesitate!

Picked this up at Davidson's Liquor on a recent pilgrimage to Denver. This is the first Goose Island beer I've tried, I've never lived in a state they distribute to.

A: Dark as the darkest night, dense coffee brown head about a centimeter thick, swirling it leaves behind a residue the tint and consistency of molasses.

S: Bourbon and it's familiar counterparts--vanilla, oak, char--combines with a malty sweetness so thick and pungent it could be cut with a knife.

T: Vanilla, caramel, smoke, leather; I'm left with red hot alcohol and a sharp dash of oak.

M: Viscosity akin to industrial lubricant, oily, it's like drinking a vanilla milkshake with whiskey in it.

D: The absolute best you can hope for in this style of beer. They've reached a pinnacle of the Bourbon barrel-aged with this one.

Pours a thick and creamy midnight black with a very thin dark caramel/toffee hued head.

Rich and heavy bourbon on the nose with notes of chocolate, roasted nuts, and toffee.

Being a year old, the bourbon heat has dropped substantially at this point, but that's not to say at a year old it doesn't still have some punch. Lush chocolate, dark fruit, toffee, caramel, and roasted malts add some delicious nuttiness while balanced by that wonderful bourbon.

Mouthfeel is thick, velvety, and sticky. Wonderfully smooth with some bourbon heat on the nose.

Overall, truly a world-class stout.

(original tasting) 2008 - Bottle. So black light won't go through, and a nice lingering dark brown head. The aroma is endless with sweet malt, oak, vanilla, tannins, a touch of bourbon, and a dash of alcohol. The flavor delivers big sweet malts and a dash of alcohol upfront followed by hints of candied fruit and finishing with a lingering definite coffee flavor layered with chocolates. I have since tried this a few times and am aging two more bottles. This stuff is simply amazing and everyone should try it. One of my favorite beers.

2008 Aged Properly

A. Jet black almost 10/30 and a razor thin tan head.

S. Bourbon up front then a sweet maybe chocolate/molasses scent

M. Very thick like a milkshake, not too much but it is very creamy.

T. Bourbon breaks through the initial creamy mouth feel and then an almost chocolate sweet vanilla oak finish with the greatest tingle on your tongue. This is one of the first times I have ever tasted diff flavors on diff parts of my tongue at the same time. I know they say everyone does that but this beer was the first time I ever noticed it including food.

O. I liked the 2010 better but only because of the more upfront, in your face bourbon flavor/scent I would drink this all day any time of year though. This is still one of the best beers I have had and am so thankful for the chance to try it.

Just an update, Tried the 2010 7/10/12 and it is all 5.0 all the way across, best beer I have ever had anywhere and anytime. I love it as I will my first born child and will change the ratings to show this... Seriously 2010 is that much better right now.

First appearance in NJ! Got myself 5 bottles! And I'm happy I did! This is one hell of a stout. Pitch black with a thin lace of brown head which recedes quickly. massive nose of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak, leather, licorice, burnt sugar, anise asphalt and bourbon soaked raisins.

The same flavors that are on the nose bombard your tongue in a giant mess of flavor. Huge hue flavor! Like a hand grenade dishing out different offerings at every blast. This young beer needs a little time to settle, but even as a messy pile of flavor, it still holds together pretty damn well. I Plan on trying this one in a few months to see how it opens up. But I already love this beer, looking forward to more times with it.

As I keep opening bottles the beer gets even better and better. So rich and deep with wonderful flavors. Much like drinking a fine port wine or scotch paired with cigar but transformed into pure liquid gold.

355ml brown bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. 2009 bottling sampled on 29/12/10.

A. Rich black in colour with a double finger thick red-brown foam head that rapidly disappeared which is exactly what I like to see happen on any beer of this strength.

S. Meaty but not overpowering. Chocolatey, Christmas cake, morello cherries, port, sherry, red wine, demerara sugar, molasses.

T. Dark fruit covered in dark chocolate. Meaty and chewy, caramelised sugar, very port like, liquorice. Some smoke in the finish.

M. Full bodied, ridiculously thick and chewy. So thick you almost need utensils to drink it with.

D. Pure heaven in a glass. This is my favourite beer to date. If only all beers had the class that this black beauty has. Any beer drinker that does not like this doesn't appreciate beer at all.

Oh my, kick me in the pants. This is listed as a bourbon stout. We'll!!! It pours as black as oil, with a Carmel head. Breath in deeeppp. Ahhh!!!! Finally a real smell of bourbon overtakes you, unlike many labeled as the same. Sip and you taste the smooth chocolate stout with a powerful bourbon flavor. After the second sip you know you are drinking something special. You know this is a strong one, but you need so much more. If you love stout and bourbon this is mid blowing. This is a must have.!!! Oh my It's empty, I need more.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.