Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,452
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,561 | Hads: 10,482

Last tasted a 2013 in a bourbon taster glass. They hype is real on this beer and has been for a very long time. One of the best if not the best BA stouts out there. This beer embodies perfection in every aspect that a review really can't do this beer justice. Its look, smell, taste, and finish is out of this world. That is why BCBS is on the top of many top beer lists. You simply have to try it if you haven't already and do yourself a favor... get your hands on all the previous years too. (493 characters)

L: I love pouring huge bourbon barrel stouts. No head, no carbonation, just pitch black and looks like oil
S: They don't call it bourbon county for nothing. Huge bourbon and chocolate.
T: Big sweet bourbon without the heat, chocolate and a hint of the barrel notes.
F: This completely coats my mouth, and the flavor last far beyond the drink. It's very thick and smooth.
O: Clean sweep of 5's, it's special occasion beer. An absolute treat! (447 characters)

This is the BA stout that I compare all other stouts too. Super thick, lots of depth to the flavor and a richness that I have yet to really find in another BA stout. Add to the fact that it is not incredibly difficult to find at the right time of year and it definitely is one of my favorites. (293 characters)

When consumed right away there is a strong bourbon presence to the beer. The aroma is boozey chocolate and oak from the barrels. The body is thick but velvet smooth on the tongue and in the mouth. The flavor is richness; chocolate caramel and vanilla followed by a wonderful bourbon heat that just warms the throat and stomach. This is a fireside beer winter warmer and it is delicious. (386 characters)

2014 vintage.

Appearance is dark motor oil, with little head. The head that is present consists of a caramel color.

Aroma is something incredibly special. You know this is an excellent beer just by the smell. It smells of an intense bourbon flavor. Some sweet molasses come forward. Huge hit of vanilla for sure! Absolutely outstanding.

Taste is phenomenal! This beer is thick… I mean it coats the palate! Intense flavors of vanilla, bourbon, coffee, and some maple syrup. A huge kick of alcohol at the end that warms and provides a nice flavor. The bourbon is the star of this beer. It is so intense that ALL stouts will fail in comparison. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS BEER! Very little carbonation. No hops present. No bitterness. Just smooth, thick, bourbon laced beer.

This is by far the best stout I have ever tried. I highly recommend it for anyone who says stouts aren’t good. I would typically agree, however, this could convert even the biggest haters of stouts. Normally I give a recommended pairing, but this beer needs a clean palate and an hour to fully enjoy it! An obvious 100/100 for me! (1,106 characters)

This beer is not on the same level as any of the other beers I have drank. After drinking this I have tried to drink some of my favorites and they don't even compare. (166 characters)

Absolutely tremendous. Not sure if a beer can get any more enjoyable. Had a 6oz pour in December of '13 a couple weeks after the initial release. I said then and I say now that BCBS is the best beer I have ever encountered. Pitch black color, creamy, velvet mouthfeel and tremendous chocolate, roast and bourbon flavor. A true sipper, amazing amount of flavor in each sip. Booze is not overpowering but is felt in your mind almost immediately. Lucky enough to attend a Goose Island tap take over at a local bar (Nov '14) and thoroughly savored 2.5 more delicious 12oz pours. Looking forward to the release of the '14 edition. Very lucky I live in Chicago. Salute. (673 characters)

Got in the mail here in Miami Beach from my buddy back in Chicago. Thanks Timbo! The whole shipment didnt survive but thankfully this crown jewel was sittin pretty.

Nose - carmel, toffee, coffee, chocolate, a little bourbon. Delicious, like what I want for breakfast in retirement.

First sip - wow...this is what artisan and craft is all about. Delicate mouth feel, elegant. It dances .It is like a bananas foster, sweet delicious and a touch of booze. Goes down like the first milkshake of summer. Fine swiss dark chocolate.

This is a beer to finish off a fine dining meal. I want to drop a scoop of vanilla in it and make a float.

Delicious. Really in a class of its own. I do somewhat desire a little bit more of a carbonation bite, but even my burps are amazing. (774 characters)

Man shit. Girl-man shit.

A: As black as it was before the big bang.

T: Booze and vanilla and acidic bitterness from all the blackness and space oddity booze.

M: Perfectly thick, semi-hard to swallow because my mouth likes it so much.

O: Holy Grail ALERT (257 characters)

Have to say I didn't think this would live up to the hype. It definitely does. It is the perfect balance between boubon sweetness and bittersweet roasted malt notes. It is an awesome beer that really changed my mind about bourbon barrel stouts. (244 characters)

A sipping beer, by all definition of the term. Very thick, definitely taste the bourbon in this one. 2013 Brew. Available at Ahan Thai Kitchen Fernandina Beach, FL as of Dec. 2014 (179 characters)

This is the best beer I have ever had, I lucked out when I walked into my local place and he just happened to have it behind the counter. I had the first three right away, and the last one I saved for six months. (213 characters)

LOOK: Black. Totally opaque in the glass. Viscous, even seems to pour slow. Almost no head at all. Very thin bit of brown bubbles around the rim.

SMELL: Holy bourbon, Batman. Boozy whiskey smell, but you need to come in close for it. (It's not just wafting off...) Style points for that being somehow both assertive and subtle.

TASTE: Tastes like bourbon with the sharp boozy alcohol bite removed. (So like bourbon with the volume turned down?) Rich and complex. Notes here like leather and smoke, a slight touch of chocolate. But bourbon is running the show from start to finish. Everything else is just part of the chorus.

FEEL: In a word: sumptuous. Rich and oily. Thick and chewy. Sticks around long after you finished swallowing. (737 characters)

A big thank you to my brother Jim who brought this up to our family get together up north this week. He brought 2 bottles, a 2013 and a 2008.

Poured into a tulip glass (Jim said it was a specific type of tulip that I don't recall) very dark with a heavenly aroma. Tasted better than it smelled if that could be possible. Jim claimed he could taste a hint of wet cardboard from the 2008 bottle. His palate is better than mine as I tasted no such imperfection. Overall one of if not the best beers I have had the pleasure to sample. (531 characters)

This one has been staring at me each time I open the fridge since the day after Thanksgiving. I couldn't hold out any longer. Poured from a growler dark as night with almost no head. Smells super bourbon boozy bomb. Love the smell. Taste matches right up. So much going on. Tastes better the warmer it got. Loved everything about this beer. The hype matches this bad boy. Raul was right. (387 characters)

Serving: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Founder's CBS snifter. Bottled on 10/17/14, making this 4 months old.

A: Thick, thick, thick. Almost no head to speak of, just a light brown trace of a head near the edges. Beautiful looking beer.

S: Words can't do this aroma justice. The complexity and depth on this nose is unreal. The bourbon is just so perfectly integrated. Smelling this makes me feel like I just stuck my head into a fresh bourbon barrel. Bourbon really dominates here, with some slight notes of vanilla, chocolate, oak and tobacco in the background.

T: Wow, perfection. Not a single off-note here. From beginning to end, this beer just glides right across your palate hitting you with wave after wave of chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon, roasted coffee, almonds. Just pitch perfect.

M: Again, perfection. This beer is so, so thick and full. My only gripe with this beer in the past had been that it may be too hot and boozy for me, but this year they nailed it. Maybe because it's 4 months out, or because they toned it down, I don't know, but the bourbon here is just perfectly integrated. What did you expect from a beer called Bourbon County?

O: This is the real deal right here. This is the pinnacle of barrel-aged stouts. Every other BA Imperial Stout needs to be held to this standard right here. I hate giving out 5s across the board, but this imperfect rating system forces me too. Certainly high 90s here. The booziness may be an issue for some, but no one can deny the unbelievable aroma and flavor profile of this beer. It has pretty much everything you want from this style.

Recommendation: Absolutely a must-try. Plus, it's getting more and more available each year! (1,699 characters)

This beer makes most others pale in comparison! The longer you let it linger in your mouth the more complex the flavor becomes. It's rich vanilla, bourbon, and cocoa flavors combine with a mouth feel that creates a rich and creamy beer that looks as great as it tastes. I can only imagine this beer getting better with age and I'm going to pick up a six pack, put it away and have one a year for the next six years. I'll report back in 2020! (443 characters)

A truly great stout, as rich in flavor as it is in color! If you have the opportunity to get a bottle of this rare gem (especially in CA) do not think twice buy it immediately. (176 characters)

A: Pours pitch black, resembles motor oil, leaves a small espresso colored head, how any great stout should look!

S: I get a nice amount of coffee, bourbon, and chocolate, then some caramel and a very light hint of vanilla, it is simple but superbly blended, there's just something about this combination that puts it way over the top of any other stout with a similar profile, it is excellent!

T: Up front I get bourbon, loads of chocolate with hints of dark chocolate, then coffee and booze come in to play, and it finishes with a nice addition of a hint of caramel and vanilla, all the flavors are really well balanced and each flavor compliments every flavor, the alcohol at 14.9% is minimal, hardly any warmth to it at all, this beer is phenomenal!

M: This beer is syrupy, but it dries quickly and does leaves a sticky mouth fell, it is very smooth and drinkable, the flavor lingers for a long time but that is a really good thing!

O: Fantastic stout, this is probably the pinnacle for barrel aged stouts and will always be, you have to try this beer! (1,060 characters)

Waited in line for this beer not knowing what to expect. Spent $75 on this one alone not knowing if I would like it. But man oh man was it everything I was hoping for. Hype was definitely met on this one. Actually passed up on buying 8 more from a store so that other people could try it. Kinda wishing I had got them not, but it's all good.

Great brew, possibly the best beer I have had to date. This may change once I pop open the BCBCS. (441 characters)

On tap, served in pints. (That's not a typo).

That may well be the best barrel aged imperial stout I've had. I want to write more, but damn, y'all know what this is, and I couldn't finish my second pint. Shame on me. I donated it to the folks standing next to me at the bar. They were understanding. (300 characters)

2013 bottle poured in a snifter. Pours thick, with little head. Smells of bourbon, coffee and vanilla. Tastes of bourbon, roasty, little vanilla. All around great. Fantastic BB stout. So glad I have more (203 characters)

Poured from a growler into a snifter. Only slightly chilled. No head; might challenge motor oil in thickness.

What a great boozy smell. Overpowering in the very best way. I've been slapped in the face by a barrel of bourbon, and I am all smiles about the whole situation.

Taste matches the smell, and it feels like cough syrup in my mouth. Such a pleasant thickness to it.

This lives up to everything I've heard. Well deserving of a perfect rating. (452 characters)

L-Deep Space Black, little to no head (dissipated quickly)

S-Tobacco, bourbon, sweet toffee candy, roasty malts, slight licorice and vanilla, raisons/dark fruit

T-Very sweet, bourbon tinge, vanilla notes, dark fruits/raisons, smokey roasty malts,

F-full bodied, syrupy, creamy, thick and inviting

O-Best stout ive ever had

never given 5s across the board (360 characters)

Look: Poured into a snifter, it looks like most Imperial stouts. Very dark in color. A reddish black, with a tan caramel, but VERY fast diminishing head. Head is gone quickly. Leaves a syrupy/oily like film on the glass as it empties.

Smell: A bit of vanilla, maybe some cherry. Alcohol smell is present. Definitely some smell of bourbon, but I'm not sure why...

Taste: Is this beer? Bourbon is clear in the flavor. Also some dark chocolate. The finish is a bit woody. Most certainly a barrel aged beer. The flavor is very strong. A sipper for sure.

Feel: Feel bodied. Almost like syrup. Very smooth, light on carbonation.

Overall: I had my first BCBS about 7 months ago. I knew nothing about it. Nothing about the hype. I was new to the craft beer world. I've heard of Goose Island, but when I was out an saw it on the menu with 15% ABV next to it's name, I thought, wow, I should try that. I was amazed. I then looked into it and quickly realized it's one of the most sought after beers. I thankfully eventually stumbled across some moths later at $15 per bottle. I reluctantly bought 4, knowing I was being ripped off, but didn't care. This one I'm reviewing is my second of the four, leaving two left to age. (1,220 characters)

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.