Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,588
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,605 | Hads: 10,711
4.34/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Bottled only thrice days away from All Hallow's Eve 2008. Very appropriate as this beer pours blacker than a Halloween night. Sludged out of the bottle and into my snifter like a viscous serpent. At first there was practically no head. Towards the end a thin slithering dark brown foam stretched around the glass until it quickly shredded its bubbly skin.

S: Strong bourbon, chocolate oak, and almond nut aromas. Smoked caramel custard coated in brown sugars. Raisins steeped in ethanol.

T: One of the most malt complex and spicy-sweet tasting imperial stouts I have tried. Pronounced roasted vanilla, chocolate candy, rye whiskey, and ripened dark fruits. Licorice and molasses with a stinging hops like finish. Rum and raspberries. Massive boubon tasting beer with a high ABV.

M: Full bodied with low carbonation. Sticks to every waking taste bud.

D: This beer is overwhelming. Not a smooth representation of the style, like others I have tried, but this is what makes it both mind and mouth numbing. I am tempted to pick up another as it could end up being one of my favorite beers after some aging. Highly Recommended.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Small head with little to no lacing. Great deep dark brown/black color

Nose: Vanilla, coconut, chocolate, figs, dates raisins fill the nose

Palate: More of the same. The initial impression is of German chocolate cake. Very sweet and smooth. There is more of a pronounced date quality than fig on the palate. Some heat on the finish but if paired correctly (Cigars, a mousse of some sort, pudding, other desserts with high fat contents) it might not be noticed. All in all an excellent beer.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have received this from several people in trades. So, thanks to all of you! Thankfully, this is my last beer tonight.

This is the 2007 vintage. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pitch black with a motor oil consistency. No carbonation and very little head. Slightly disappointing in that regard. Although, with the high abv, this is better than nothing.

Aroma is bourbon filled and oaky. Plenty of vanilla extract as well. Not a whole lot of roastiness as the bourbon seems to be the most predominant aroma. I got what I was expecting, and I loved it.

More bourbon and vanilla in the flavor. A good dose of toffee nuttiness as well, almost like hazelnut. Alcohol is surprisingly well hidden: it is very warming but doesnt add any heat or raw alcohol to the flavor, which is always nice. Very full bodied. Thick and chewy and robust.

A solid bourbon barrel beer. Probaly not my favorite, but top notch nevertheless.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%

This is my first review on BA, and being that it is winter here in MI, I thought I would start with my favorite Big Stout.

Poured thick with about 1/2 finger of a chocolate head.

The smell was great, vanilla, bitter chocolate, and bourbon are right up front. I could use a little more though.

The taste is spectacular, with a very roasted malty smoky flavor with lots of vanilla and bourbon present. It tastes almost like it is a Stout mixed with Bourbon. What a great combo. What sets this apart for me is the very nice finish, that is less sweet that some of the other big stouts out there.

For being 13% the drinkability is spectacular, as there is a nice warming from the alcohol, but not too intensely hot.

For me when it come to BA Big Stouts this is what I measure all others against. Next up will be the Abyss.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cracked a 2012 vintage tonight. Jet black and the minimal head quickly dissipates. Intense aroma of bourbon greets me from a foot away. As I get closer I get black licorice, molasses, roasted barley and a lingering sweetness from the bourbon. The mouthfeel is thick and sticky. Plum, raisins, roasted barley, and then the burning warmth of the alcohol coat the tongue and gently warm your throat.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Ah, yes. The Goose was the first brewpub I ever knew of, and I enjoyed grabbing a couple of Gooses by the neck... and then this came along: the first beer that made me say, "Oh... my... freakin' God!" Now it's out in bottles as part of the Goose' "Extreme Beers," but still hard to find:

A deeper Imperial Stout-type nose. Big bourbon flavor, even powerful like a Hennessey. Beautiful black with red highlights. I saw the bourbon barrels they were aging this in at the brewery a few months back, and I'm pleased to say they've bottled it beautifully!

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Superbowl Sunday....I'm not a Chicago native, but I've lived here for 18 years. Goose island seems like the right idea. And since it's been stout's and nothing but stout's this week....

Poured into my Scaldis Noel mini tulip. Thanks HimerMan!

A - Black...opaque black...octupus ink black. this is the start of my third bottle....try as I might, and can't raise a head...maybe it's my age.

S - If double stout's are supposed to smell like cheap soy sauce, it's all good. Something tells me they're not. I got a second opinion, once again, from my 13 year old son. "Smells like tamari, Dad"
Opinion confirmed.

T - This is a total and complete departure from the above. Coffee, brandied raisins, chocolate, dark rum, bourbon...unbelievably complex in its' variety. Really, really good.

M - Very full and long lasting, especially taking into account the ABV. Very little throat burn, but definately a kick at the end that rips across the palate and clears the way for the next hit.

D - I'm at home, and am staying that way. Drinkable? Hell yes, if you have no other plans. And in this case, I didn't.

Go Bears

Bottle from 2008

I poured this baby fairly aggressively into a pint glass in hopes of some substantial head. No dice! I got a thin layer of dark molasses colored head atop a pitch blach fluid. Almost no light gets through this bad boy. A teensy bit can be seen at the very edges. A thin ring of lacing persists most of the way down the glass as I drink. With a slight tilt of the glass, you can see, the beer definitely "has legs".

I poured the glass about a foot from my nose, however, I easily had a whiff of the powerful bourbon aroma. Upon closer sniffing, I can ascertain the smell as a somewhat dry bourbon smell with hints of toasted malts, sweet molasses, and cinammon.

A sip reveals a massive palette of bourbon chocolate candy! Holy cow!! It has been a while since I last had this. By nights end I may end up raiding my stash of yesteryear GIBCS... but I digress. Man, that is a big flavor. The alcohol is very present but not overbearing. It has a nice warming quality for these cold nights. Bourbon is definitely at the forefront, but I wouldn't say the beer is unbalanced, just boozy.

Drinkability....hmmmm....Ask yourself, do you like fizzy yellow beer even in winter? If yes, this may not be for you. This beer isn't messing around. For the "full-flavor" types out there, it is certainly drinkable!

Bottle bought at Mesa Liquor

A: Motor oil black with almost no head. A few mocha colored bubbles dot the surface.

S: Wowzers. Pretty much all bourbon. A hint of fig in there somewhere, but the bourbon overpowers pretty much anything else in there. To me, the smell reminded me a lot of an old ale. A little intimidating, but I was pretty excited to see what it was going to taste like.

T: I can see what all the hype is about. This is unbelievable. The bourbon is there, but it's mellowed out a lot in the taste and there is a lot of sweetness from molasses, dark chocolate and some vanilla. The alcohol is evident, but not overpowering, which was nice. The aftertaste leaves a dry, peaty bourbon taste on your tongue that leaves you wanting more, but slowly. Definitely a sipper and one you might want to age a bit.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

2009 bottle into an imperial pint glass. I've had this countless times just never put my thoughts on paper until now.

A: Pitch black in color. Small amount of mud hued head. Tiny soapy lace ring. Reminds me of an aggressively poured cup of coffee.

S: Wow! The word bourbon is first in the name for a reason. Even a year on this bottle did nothing to tame the bourbon beast. Once past the hot booze traces of roasted black coffee, chocolate and a bit of wood.

T: The bourbon isn't as strong in the flavor thankfully. Don't get me wrong it's the main element but the roasted burnt malt and chocolate seem to balance things out. Super rich fudge cake drizzle with caramel bourbon sauce comes to mind.

M: Full thick chewy chocolate syrup like body. Just a trace of carbonation.

D: Overall this is a sipper if there ever was one. One of the biggest Imp Stouts around as far as drinkabilty goes. You ain't slamming this one. When you crack one of these bad boys make sure you don't have any plans in the near future.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz single from LiquorMax in Loveland, CO for $5.

A: Inky dark black, pitch black, a few dark dark brown bubbles popped up. Not a whole lot though. Very dark and ominous looking. Excellent. Even oily looking. This is great.

S: Bourbon, chocolate, raisins, brown sugar, and lots and lots of booze. Wow this is huge on the alcohol. Has a ton of bourbon qualities, much more so than an imperial stout. I'm impressed.

T: Huge flavors, chocolate, coffee, bourbon, brown sugar, really strong roasted flavors, dark fruits, plums even. This is really an impressive beer. Huge bourbon flavors, sweet throughout. I can't really detect any hops in this, but it doesn't really suffer. This is a huge beer all around. Alcohol isn't in the way and terrible, just a nice complement. This is a fantastic beer.

M: Perfect, absolutely spot on, thick, huge and sticky, with a hint of alcohol heat, very dry as well. Excellent in the mouthfeel.

D: Sneaky, this beer is huge, and could easily be consumed quickly, and multiple, the alcohol heat does catch up fairly quick. I really wish I would have bought more. This is an exceptional beer. Highly recommended.

2008 bottle
Fantastic beer. Pitch black opaque appearance. Very little foam (perhaps because of age?). Smell would be stronger if there was more carbonation, but what is there is great. Bourbon aroma fairly strong (which I like), and lots of raison (perhaps even a little plum). Slightly raw alcohol taste which I marked off for a little. Strong sweet backbone to counter the bitterness of the alcohol. The rawness of the alcohol is reminiscent of bourbon, so perhaps it is appropriate.
The carbonation was quite low, but nice. It is a sipping beer for me because of the raw alcohol and very very sweet maltiness.
Interesting beer.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

A: This bad boy poured pitch black and heavy into the glass. A finger's worth of deep walnut colored foam developed and then hung around in a fine ring.

S: The scents exploded out of the glass. The bourbon is very noticeable. Lots of sweetness including notes of vanilla and dark chocolate covered cherries.

T: The bourbon is forefront but I get double layered chocolate cake and dried cherries with a hint of woodiness. Very sweet. The whole thing is incredibly smooth and the heat from the alcohol stays well after a sip.

M: Thick and velvety but not syrupy. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

D: Found this to be quite drinkable. Smooth, interesting and every sip left me wanting more. Its too sweet and boozy to drink much more than a single serving.

Incredible beer. One of the best I have ever tasted. For the ABV it was super smooth and refined, even balanced. Loved the bourbon and layers of flavors.

Bottle from 10/16/2008.

A: Pours a dark black, but not as thick as you might imagine.

S: Most of the bourbon smell has dissipated, a hint of malts and chocolate.

T: Very complex, a lot of the heat has withered away, but there still is a bourbon presences, but it's not overwhelming. A malty, chocolate taste is noticeable. Maybe a hint of coffee, not over powering.

M: The alcohol is most present when just after finishing a sip. A slight burn, but nothing major. The rest of the flavors tingle the mouth.

D: A 12 oz. bottle is actually perfect when shared with another person. I wouldn't want any more than this, but having said that, it's super tasty and worth the $4.50 I paid for it.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

2008 batch, glad distribution was upped since i've never been able to find it before.

12oz split between 2 snifters, pours an oily opaque black with a creamy tan head that fades - looks amazing.

smells of lactose? most likely not but quite creamy smelling, vanilla, alcohol heat, chocolate, wow!

taste is of thick chocolate, hot alcohol, vanilla, caramel, bourbon, oak, roasty burnt malts, hops hide with the alcohol, raisins, deep and delicious, mmm I could see this aging beautifully.

mouthfeel is oily, creamy, slick, roasty, sweet, hot, amazing!!!

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured black color with medium brown rocky head that lasted with good lacing. Aroma was long complex roasted coffee and chocolate and wood. The flavor was rich of bourban, oak, malt and alcohol. Finish was long and had a good bite.

Good stout and well worth the hunt to find.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Couldn't be any blacker. Little beads of carbonation are only visible on the edge of the glass rising in constant streams. Two finger thick head is the color of coffee and cream. Head dissipates after a minute or two leaving only a thin top.

Powerful aroma, filled with notes of vanilla, soy sauce, metallic, oak, bourbon. Smells quite alcoholic.

Wow, this is very full bodied. Huge flavor. The body is soft and smooth as cream. Flavors of deeply roasted grains, cherry cordial, sweet caramel, and bourbon soaked oak chips. This beer is amazing the way that it balances the massive body with just enough bitterness and booze. Long lasting aftertaste leaves the mouth with lingering notes of bourbon goodness and charred oak.

Isn't hard to see why this is one of the highest rated beers in the world. It's massively flavorful and integrates the bourbon with the big ass stout in a perfect way. The carbonation is flawless and helps to create a creamy texture, giving an ideal mouthfeel for a big stout like this one. The beer is never cloyingly sweet and is mildly hot, unlike some other massive beers I've tried before. I give it very high marks.

2008 vintage, drunk on 19 April 2011

Black, minimal carbonation and no real head but lasting, permanent thin foamy brown ring and some wisps.

Aroma is strong fermented brown bread, caramelized-burnt prunes, dark rum.

Taste is fairly complex, rich and strong, but not overly intense and fairly well restrained and balanced. It has coffee and dark toast, esp. in the finish, mostly caramelized sweet coffee & prunes, burnt sugar & a slight medicinal cough-syrup quality, esp. at the finish. It is boozy and alcoholic, with a rummy quality, but it is fairly mellow and very smooth and it is not rough or overly boozy, esp. considering the strength. It has some good complexity, with enough depth of character and with no single element overly intense or overpowering everything else. It is quite drinkable and never gets tiresome or boring, despite the fact that it is pretty strong and definitely a slow-sipping drink. It is excellent overall.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

This is one of the thickest, richest and tastiest stouts I've ever tried. If you like em "dark and sludgy" this one will do it for you. Pours black, with minor dark tan head. Little lacing. Nose of brandy, chocolate and burnt malts. Bold char broiled flavors abound, whiskey soaked raisins, dark chocolate, a double black expresso tossed in, some vanilla, oak and more chocolate late,sheesh, can you say complexity?!? Very thick, super bad dark flavors. Meta winter sipper. Not for the faint of heart or those not into super bold dark beers. Goose Island continues to impress. The arrival of their beers in the NYC area this fall and winter has been the highlight of the local beer scene, IMHO

4.32/5  rDev -4%

served in a large brandy snifter

A-Jet black color with a cinnamon brown head that quickly fades from a thin film to a line around the glass edge.

S- Roast malts with coffee and just a bit of prune and a faint bit of leather give this beer a bold nose.

T- A big burnt maltyness with some chocolate notes and a big finish of hops and alcoholic warmth. After a few sips I start to pick up a hint of vanilla and a bit of oakiness. The favor is big and bold but has some nice complexity.

M- This has a big body and is sweet and think on the lips and tongue. no carbonation is felt in the mouthfeel and its not really very hot in the mouthfeel.

D- This is a big chewy heavy stout with the alcohol, hops and roastiness to handle the conditioning in bourbon barrels. I nice beer but not one I could sit down and drink a 4 pack. I find myself drink water in between sips, this is beers version of port.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle - 2008 vintage stored properly over the year or so I've had it. served in a standard pint glass.

A - pours *very* thick and syrupy, with just a few loose islands of bubbles and a tiny thin layer of khaki colored film. the beer is pitch black. almost lifeless, yet scary.

S - a bit sweet at first, with some dark fruits...plums and figs before the bitter roastiness slowly takes over. boozy all around from the bourbon, yet not dominating. other notes of cocoa powder, toasted nuts, and alcohol finish it out.

T - is this a big beer? no. its XBOX HUGE. flavors just assault the mouth without mercy. the big, bourbon booze actually hits first and takes a fierce stranglehold, letting other secondary flavors pass one by one according to its whim. first, its the dark fruits. then, a wave of sharp, deeply roasted and almost charred malts. finally, more sweetness abounds with the dark chocolate, maple syrup, and molasses. a more true bourbon flavor settles in as everything else dies down.

M - thick, enormous body with just a wisp of tight carbonation which is only noticeable after most of the beverage leaves the mouth. lingering syrupy sweetness, washed clean (as well as it can be) by a noticeable alcohol burn.

D - drinkability takes a hit from its big body and massive alcohol, yet its just delicious. wonderful winter sipper, spend some time and do this one slowly and correctly. a couple years has done some good to this, allowing the booze to come down to a tolerable level and let a few other flavors develop.

4.32/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At 12oz bottle into snifter. Bottled on 09.24.10 – 2010 Vintage – lot number 2056

A: As I have seen with the Bourbon county family, they do not have good head formation or retention, so with a vertical pour, I was able o get about a one finger radiant khaki head that dissipated within 30 seconds. The body is jet black and creates a lunar eclipse when held to the light. The lacing is non-existent.

S: The aroma of the bourbon barreled beast is a dominance of.. well bourbon, but a deep waft shows a a bitter hop complexity and a solid malt background as a base. This is a medium to high intensity aroma, while bourbon is in the forefront, it is in the name sake and as the vintages age, this becomes less evident, but this is a fairly fresh batch.

T/M: When the brew hits your lips, it creates a smooth, but thick sludge, that finishes well and leaves a warming and powerful mouthfeel. The bourbon is a very nice addition to a stout of this caliber. The notes of hop bitterness found in the nose are at the depths of this beer and hard to find among the overwhelming bourbon character. As for the mouthfeel, there is a creamy aspect that is Bourbon Brand County Stout that cannot be matched. One of the best high end stouts that has a high ABV and is still drinkable, (yes BCBS and the word drinkable, haha, where did the beer in my glass go?) The lingering sensation holds the key, which is the hop bitterness that makes this brew complete.

O: Overall, this is a beer for a cold night, break on a cross-country ski tour, hot tub, cigar, or a mid-morning watching one of my dogs with two torn ACL's, which I have enjoyed all of the above, unfortunately I am watching one of my six dogs now with a busted leg and this brew makes the warm, sunny day spent inside a bit better. But the beer has a very good way of hiding the ABV and the flavor characteristics give it a reason to go back. Looking forward to seeing how these hold up in the cellar and how they taste passed the four year mark.) Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Pours an impenetrable black with a thin tan head that doesn't retain well, but this sucker is 13% so who cares. The aroma will really knock your socks off, with a huge bourbon presence upfront, followed by vanilla and caramel, coconut, burnt bread, some dark fruits, and a big alcohol presence. The flavor is similar to the aroma with big bourbon notes initially, followed by some coconut and vanilla, charcoal, caramel, dates and plums, a little coffee, chocolate and some fusel alcohol. The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety and drinkability is not very good (though you wouldn't expect it to be). A really fucking good imperial stout, a notch better than KBS in my book.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Pours almost pitch black with a very small dark tan head that fades very quickly. Smell of sweet cocoa powder, slight coffee, and bourbon. Flavors of dark chocolate, sweet maltiness balanced by a roasted grain. The bourbon then comes on very powerfully, but its not just bourbon flavored, which I like. Finishes with cocoa powder and vanilla and a strong alcohol burn. Perfectly carbonated, with a thick chewy body and a strong alcohol burn. very good beer and the 13% abv is hidden well. Perfect dessert dinner. Will age nicely.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Had during a recent Goose Island Bourbon County Tasting in Charlotte with marine1975, boodingo, CarolinaKevin, HopDiggityDawg, and GehenHerzog at Mike Brawley's house with Budweiser sign blazing! Big thanks to marine1975 for bringing this one to the tasting! 2009 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Vieille Provisions Saison Dupont Willie. Poured pitch black with a half finger brown head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and big sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was pretty freaking tasty! I've had a few of these sitting my cellar for awhile now and have been wanting to tap into them. The alcohol on this one was still a prominent on this one for me. It wasn't overwhelming by any means, but I'm sure there are some more subtle characteristics to this one masked by it regardless. On the nose this one is quite big, but the flavor has mellowed some. Really nice backbone going on here. Really glad I got to try this one!

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.