Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,255
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,071 | Reviews: 2,633

1.08/5  rDev -76.5%

1.25/5  rDev -72.8%

This beer, if you can call it beer, is the absolute worst that I have ever had. Not sure how it receives such a high rating. I am a big fan of strong beers including imperial stouts and ipas but somehow this beer is just too much. Tastes like a blend of stout, red wine and bourbon. Un-drinkable in my opinion.

1.43/5  rDev -68.9%

CHOKE - CHOKE - CHOKE!

When I poured this beer I thought it could pass for chocolate, DARK chocolate milk. The aroma was thick, like molasses and caramel and Jim Bean mixed together. The flavor mimmicked the aroma but had a bigger punch to my pallet. IT burned on the way down like liquor.

I have to say this isn't the shittiest tasting beer I've had, but it's up there. Perhaps I should just give up on finding an imperial that I like.

If you want S T R O N G, go for this bad boy.

1.44/5  rDev -68.7%

1.5/5  rDev -67.4%

1.5/5  rDev -67.4%

1.52/5  rDev -67%

I got this from a wine/beer shop where the owner said he'd heard good things about this one but hadn't tried it yet. Well, he won't hear anything good from me. I don't remember the last time I didn't finish a beer. Just dreadful bleck. A friend with me shared my opinion.

This beer either represents the Emporers New Clothes of craft beer or there was something wrong with this bottle. It looked a fine dark brown/black. The smell was of molasses, burned things,raw alcohol and more burned molasses. A hint of overheated radiator was one of the better scents. The taste was big and layered, but the waves of burned sugar, gloppy sorghum, alcohol, just kept coming like a string of plague rats jumping into my mouth. I'm not sure of the mouthfeel, as I was too busy thinking of ways to apologize to my tongue.

If you took a Guinness and let it bounce around in your car trunk for a summer spent in the desert, added various burned molasses concoctions and some bourbon you had washed your feet in, you might approximate the flavor. This is the Edsel of beers in my opinion, and I am a huge fan of big stouts.

1.63/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Ink black body and hardly any head at all. Smell is more bourbon barrel than anything. Lot of vanilla, chocolate, and a weird buttery aroma. The butter is so strong. Kind of soured/rancid. Pros for flavor: roasty malts, chocolate, caramel. Cons: overwhelming barrel, vanilla, butter, soy sauce, sweetness, booze. Mouthfeel is slick and kind of flat. Booze numbs the tongue. I really don't like this at all. It's grossing me out. A fine example of a messy, bourbon barrel-forwarded stout.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.