Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 1,914
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -61.9%

Beer snobs will say this is the greatest beer ever, but honestly, all I taste is licorice. That is it. That is all there is. It is just really alcoholic licorice. There are no hints of chocolate or vanilla, and the bourbon is virtually non-existent. It really just tastes like licorice. I don't understand how people taste otherwise.

RayzTheRoof, Dec 20, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -59.7%

Umm, where do I start.

First of all, I know the BCBS train is probably gonna be outside my apartment with pitch forks. After tasting this beer, it's either I got a bad batch, I have abnormal taste buds, or it's just an overhyped beer.

Appearance - looked like normal imperial stouts. No head pretty much.
Smell - bourbon, coffee, vanilla. Ok, it's typical barrel aged stuff.
Taste - Tasted like alcohol straight up. Let it warm up, more alcohol! I get same notes from the smell here.
Mouthfeel - meh, it was very syrupy. it left a foul taste in my mouth
Overall - worst night of my life. I could not sleep. I kept moving around my bed all night long. Very gassy, trying to burp everytime just to get rid out the fowlness.

Sorry guys, this is my first experience on this beer, but sorry BCBS doesn't do it for me. I'm glad.

Edit: December 16, 2013... This is gross. Sorry guys.

Rainier, Dec 17, 2013
1.88/5  rDev -59%

A - Black. Minimal coffee-colored head that dissipated rapidly

S - Bourbon. Overwhelmingly bourbon. Nothing but bourbon

T - Bourbon. Strong bourbon

M - Smooth. Carbonation seemed just about right

D - I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish this bottle.

This tastes to me like stout-flavored bourbon. I like bourbon. When I was younger, bourbon was my mixed drink of choice. I do not, however, find this mixture appealing (in any way, shape or form). If you want the same taste (at less cost), just mix Ten High half and half with Guinness.

Apparently a large number of folks find this appealing. I am not one of them.

Edit: In all fairness, this beer had only been in the bottle for 5 months. Another year of aging could have an effect on my opinion, but it is unlikely to make me love this beer. If I wanted bourbon, I would have bought bourbon.

drumhaggart, May 10, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -57.5%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle, 2007. Pours black with a small dark tan/red head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of bourbon. Flavor of bourbon, alcohol sweetness. I can tell that this is a better bourbon barrel aged beer than a lot of other BBA beers, but I can't actually taste any of the underlying stout. I suppose it's less bourbony than other beers, but it is definitely dominated by the bourbon. And I don't want my beer to taste like bourbon, I want it to taste like beer. Also the 13% makes it extremely difficult to drink. Suffice it to say, I didn't care for this bourbon bomb.
4/3/4/2/10 (2.3/5)

Buttwagon13, Sep 09, 2012

Apathetiq, May 26, 2014

Desp59, Aug 26, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -55.3%

I wanted to love this beer, I truly did. I guess I am finding out that even though I am a huge stout fan, it seems that I just don't like imperial stouts that much. They to me are way too alcoholic and can become too harsh because of the enormous liquor taste.

A-Pitch black with a tan head that faded quick. Standard imperial stout.
S-Burdon, some vanilla, OAK!
T- HARSH. Most imperial stouts are like this, so I may be bias.
Heavy alcoholic taste. Not what one would want for a beer flavor. Drink liqueur if you want to taste alcohol (that's why I like beer).
M-Typical for an imperial stout, but not my cup of tea. Very carbonated, with a heavy warming feeling. Not beer in feel.
D- I like to drink my beer, but this is no where near drinkable. I don't want a beer that can only be sipped. It's so thick and heavy in alcohol that the drinkability is nowhere to be found.

My expectation according to Goose Island was a velvety, smooth beer, with a rich vanilla and oak taste. Sorry Goose Island, but you are clueless about this beer.

ThomasMetal75, May 29, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -54.2%

Pours a very deep black color, although with very little head and almost no lacing. I was very disappointed with this beer, as I expected a stout with some bourbon lacing, not a pint of bourbon with some stout lacing. The scent and taste are nearly all bourbon flavors, so strong that no stout attributes come through. This also causes the whole thing to be very rough. It's not at all balanced. Not a good beer, which is a shame after the other wonderful 'big' beers I've had of Goose Island's.

JamesS, Aug 15, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -54.2%

Served in a snifter glass. It looks like most aged imperial stouts I have had: dark as night, and virtually head-less. Pockets of foam rise to the surface and dissipate, replaced by new ones, as if it is still living. Interesting to watch.

As soon as I popped the cap (not realizing it was a twist off) I got a punch in the face of dark malt, and some bourbon. It honestly does not smell all too different from their Night Stalker stout, which was somewhat disappointing, as I was hoping for more bourbon. The smell consists of your standard caramel, chocolate, and coffee, (not to strong on the coffee however). The malts smell overpowering, and unbalanced.

Not only do I taste next to no bourbon, but it seems unbalanced for an imperial stout. There is a very present sweetness, accompanied by on overly bitter roasted malt flavor that really sticks in the back of the palate. The one redeeming factor in the flavor is the aftertaste. The bitterness dies off, and I finally can experience a slight bourbon lingering.

It has got to be one of, if not THE most, syrupy beer I have ever tasted. I highly regret opening this within 5 months of buying it. While I suppose 13% alcohol creates quite an awe effect, I now feel that this sort of abv does not belong in the category of stouts...(certainly without cellaring)...there are simply too many residual sugars, and the extremely high gravity makes for a poor amount of head, and a thick coating on the mouth and throat. Even clearing the palate before hand with about 12 ounces of water wasn't enough to prevent me from needing water during the drink. It also seemed to inherit what I consider a negative quality of bourbon, which is a burn in the back of the mouth that dissipates as the aftertaste begins.

I started drinking this 15 minutes before I started writing, and I am now only 3/4s of the way done. It's a sipper for sure, and not one I want to spend $6.39 on again any time soon (5 months, at least!!!)

I could imagine this being better on tap, but only if the syrupy-ness is reduced. I am somewhat disappointed that the final gravity couldn't have gotten a bit lower. Aging would Clearly do this beer justice. Cheers, all the same.

amanofbeer, Aug 03, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -51.4%

A - Very Black and oily poured with absolutely no head. I think I saw one carbonation bubble.

S - bourbon, char, bourbon, molasses, tobacco, and bourbon

T - Tastes exactly like it smells.

M - This beer was very slick and creamy. No carbonation whatsoever.

D - I had to choke this one down. There is no way I could have more than one of these

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. I love RIS and enjoy bourbon. This just missed the mark.

xhcadamx, Nov 28, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -51.4%

Pours a jet black color with no head and lacing.

Bourbon hits your nostrils right away, reminds me of brandy, a little hint of dark chocolate.

Tasted like I was drinkig straight from a brandy bottle. Unfortunately this turned me off and I couldn't get passed that strong brandy like taste. I did get some decent dark chocolate malts after the bourbon like taste went away after awhile.

This was my first RIS and once again I tried to drink this but couldnt so I had to drain pour this.

Drinkability was None for me, bourbon like taste was way to overpowering for me to enjoy this. Hopefully the next RIS I try goes better.

tr4nc3d, Nov 05, 2008

Chitty54, Mar 08, 2013

michellaneous413, Jul 22, 2013

Homer0919, Jul 14, 2014

probert, Sep 14, 2014
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.