2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Ratings: 6,981 | Reviews: 2,286 | Show All Ratings:
BarleyMine

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer pours incredibly dark, with a thick brown head and sticky lacing. The smell is intense with a roasted smokiness, sweet molasses, burnt sweetened coconut, malts and alcohol. The taste is intense. The flavor is a bombshell of various tongue teasers. Bourbon/Sherry like flavors, molasses, rasins, roasted chocolate, smokey wood. The mouthfeel is very thick and smooth with good carbonation. I wouldn't think one could drink a lot of this at once but it's a very drinkable, interesting and exciting brew. Nice...

11-14-2008 05:57:58 | More by BarleyMine
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Received in trade from brdc, thanks for the opportunity.
2007 bottling enjoyed late 2008

A vigorous pour could barely produce any head in this solid black brew. I can smell the bourbon from the bottle soon after I pop the cap. The aroma is bourbon, vanilla, oak, hard to tell if there's a beer under there. The taste is very complex! First you get hit with the bourbon and oak then some roast, then some alcohol, then a bit of hop bitterness finish with a smooth bourbon roast. Its really tasty, but I like bourbon too. Thick body, oily turning to creamy mouthfeel. Light carbonation. Great Bourbon that someone spilled some beer into :)

11-14-2008 00:43:50 | More by johnnnniee
jojox

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

Got this bottle as an extra, big thanks to whomever that was!

a - really black. Not much head at all. But certainly carbonated.

s - oaky, burbon. Some sweetness. Other standard stout smells, roasted malt etc.

t - Wow. LOTS of oak. Smooth, easy going down. Vanilla, wood. Alcohol.

m - Smooth and silky. I actually really like the oak.

d - not bad, especially for 13% (!!)

I was totally surprised how good this stuff is. I hadn't even heard of it but the quality and flavors are fantastic. I wish I could get my own stout up to 13%!

11-13-2008 14:07:00 | More by jojox
bifrostguard

3.68/5  rDev -19.5%

A - Pitch black with a small dark tan head that leaves no lacing.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, chocolate and char.

T - Pretty damn good for the price. Strong bourbon and vanilla flavors. Alcohol burn is kept under control, but still appreciated. Some brown sugar sweetness is noticeable with the chocolate and roasted malt flavors.

M - Thick, creamy and slick. A sticky sweet residue forms over the palate even before one 12oz bottle is finished.

D - So sticky sweet and heavy that I can't handle much more than one. A great bourbon and vanilla bomb for sure, but just too sweet for me.

11-13-2008 07:12:54 | More by bifrostguard
CortexBomb

Bourbon County Stout is a solid representative of the barrel aged, boozy stout category. Like most beers in its style, it has low carbonation (high alcohol content will do that for you) and an opaque appearance. The nose is strongly alcoholic, and the beer is fairly viscous in the mouth, though not as much as one might expect for a bigger brew like this.

The thing that surprised me the most about this beer was the sweetness of the flavour. Most big stouts seems to be exceptionally roasty or thick, Bourbon County stout was almost abrasively sweet on the first sip, though my taste buds quickly acclimated to it. I think my surprise contributed to my initial reaction. The beer is strongly flavoured by the bourbon casks which also impart a fairly typical vanilla edge, and the stout makes for a light, chocolate backdrop to this main show.

Overall: I like barrel aged products like this, and Bourbon County is a solid and overall tasty example of the style. I doubt I will be buying very much of this again soon though simply because Goose Island has priced it into elite territory at $22 per 4 pack. I think it's a very good beer, but I would much rather buy something like Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout at a full fiver less per 4 pack, or non-barrel premium products like Bell's Expedition at a full fiver less for a six pack. If money is no concern and you like this kind of beer it's a winner though. Well worth trying for any fan of the style.

11-12-2008 16:19:39 | More by CortexBomb
bigbelcher

Arizona

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is bourbon, vanilla and burnt coffee. Overall I was pretty disappointed by the taste. Poured it side by side with a different barrel aged stout and the other blew this one away. The bourbon flavor is overpowering. High alcohol flavor. 13%. I think this beer would do better after a couple of years of aging. As the bottle suggests it would go well with a cigar. Not for the feint of heart.

11-12-2008 09:58:49 | More by bigbelcher
Mauerhan

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%

pours pitch black into my snifter. the aggressive pour leaves very little trace of any head. not surprising. as it is 13 abv. wow.

smells of bourbon hit me from a few feet away. sweet hints of vanilla come out to play as it warms up. i get a huge amount of bourbon and woody notes. surprising i dont smell alot of alcohol.

taste is great. i am shocked how easy this is to drink. nice hints of the bourbon. incredibly smooth. rich vanilla and malt accents. this beer is fucking great. i would say it is by far one of my favorite stouts that i have had. a very complex and satisfying journey.

mouth is shocking. yeah you get a bit of burn from the alcohol but other than that it is SMOOTH. i cant tell if it is just extremely carbonated or if it is just the alcohol burn but it is there in the foreground.

as much as i like how this beer is treating me, with the high abv and the heavy feeling it leaves me i dont think i could put back more than one in a night. overall a fantastic beer. yum

11-12-2008 07:46:39 | More by Mauerhan
beckje01

2.9/5  rDev -36.5%

This is the 2007 version being enjoyed towards the end of 2007.

A- Very dark brown no head and no activity.

S- Lots of bourbon notes in the nose.

T- Ouch too young, the hops are over aggressive but there are the good bourbon notes in there but ouch. This baby needs to age, the rest of the 4pk is going in the cellar.

M- Good thickness no activity

D- Sipper but no thanks until this ones got some age.

11-10-2008 15:42:11 | More by beckje01
OlieIPA

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

Purchased a four pack at Hollingshead....

A: This beer poured black, thick, and loud; similar to a very carbonated cola. Very little head that quickly dissipated in my brandy snifter as well.

S: When I opened the bottle, I immediately picked up the strong bourbon aroma that the label so vividly described. I also picked up a subtle mix of vanilla and smokey characteristics that were at first hard to pick up, but slowly emerged as I investigated further.

T: The first sip was mix of enjoyment and confusion on my part. Very complex in flavor, which made it really hard to pick out any specific flavoring other then the overwhelming bourbon quality. But as each sip went on, I started to figure out and pinpoint a very strong vanilla character which seem to even out the strong bourbon aging this beverage went through. A very aggressive taste that might overwhelm you at first, but continues to get better after each gulp.

M: Thick and full-body, which is perfect for this style. A bit more carbonation then I'm used to, but nothing that bothered me too much.

D: Even though this beer is 13% ABV and has a very aggressive taste, it was somewhat easy to drink considering all things.

Overall: One of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had!!! Great beer and a must, must, must try!!!

11-09-2008 05:06:18 | More by OlieIPA
goodspeed94

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Purchased from Joey at South Bay Drugs. Thanks!

A: This brew is one thick, dark as night, rolling pour. Not too much of a head to speak of with hardly any noticeable carbonation. The blackness hardly even thins out with a tilt of the glass.

S: Right away you get strong notes of chocolate and bourbon as expected. No secret this is one very big beer. Can faintly detect licorice, almost reminds me of a wood stove heated home around the holidays. Complex and exciting.

T: Wow. First off, this beer is a raging alcoholic. Very strong notes of bourbon (even a little of the burn on the tongue). The chocolate is secondary in this beer, roasted flavors are present as well. Somewhat hard to really find the levels to this one as the alcohol is rather overpowering.

M: The carbonation level is perfect on this beer for its style. Thick mouthfeel, coats the entire palate. Again, slightly a little too hot from the alcohol. Stronger than some other barrel-aged stouts I have come across.

D: Don't think I could have more than one in a night. Enjoyable dont get me wrong, but slightly a little too aggressive to have multiple.

Overall, definitely a good beer. This was my first review so things may not have been articulated perfectly, but I did enjoy this offering. This is the first of this kind that I have seen out here in Southern California in terms of a big, burning, bourbon stout, reminds me of some of the Weyerbacher bourbon offerings from back East. Would recommend trying in order to experience ranges of taste within a style, but not my personal favorite. Looking forward to more Goose Island offerings should they make it out.

**Just had another one of these and it was WAY less bourbon flavored than before. Much more vanilla, chocolate notes, really thick and velvety on the palate. Great, complex beer.

11-07-2008 04:40:46 | More by goodspeed94
strangebrew52

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

2008 Vintage

Ok so this is my first review, figured it was a good place to start right?! This is a big beer.

A: Black pour with a faint bit of brown head that quickly went away
S: You can smell the bourbon right away. Noticed a hint of chocolate.
T: Very complex, the bourbon hit me right away. I really enjoyed the after taste, noticed hints of chocolate and some smokiness.
M: Thick and smooth, warming as it goes down
D: Great beer but I couldn't handle more than 1 in a night. Goes down surprisingly well for being 13%

11-06-2008 14:56:50 | More by strangebrew52
tr4nc3d

Kansas

2.23/5  rDev -51.2%

Pours a jet black color with no head and lacing.

Bourbon hits your nostrils right away, reminds me of brandy, a little hint of dark chocolate.

Tasted like I was drinkig straight from a brandy bottle. Unfortunately this turned me off and I couldn't get passed that strong brandy like taste. I did get some decent dark chocolate malts after the bourbon like taste went away after awhile.

This was my first RIS and once again I tried to drink this but couldnt so I had to drain pour this.

Drinkability was None for me, bourbon like taste was way to overpowering for me to enjoy this. Hopefully the next RIS I try goes better.

11-05-2008 03:13:11 | More by tr4nc3d
Tdizzle

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Purchased this 4-pack from BevMo! Cypress. Bottled on 10/21/08.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter, this beer pours jet black with a tiny dark tan head that rapidly dissipates to a thin ring along the inside of the glass. Only a few wisps of lacing are left behind after each sip.

S- A huge aroma of bourbon whiskey almost stings the nasal passages. Roasted malts, cocoa and dark fruits linger in the background, while aromas of oak barrel and burnt caramel are less noticeable.

T- Where do I start? The initial taste is rather sweet, boasting brief flavors of dark fruits and molasses before whiskey busts down the door and breaks up their little party. The middle flavors are of coffee, roasted/burnt malts and charred oak, while the dry and very warming finish leaves a mild espresso bitterness lingering on the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is incredibly viscous, rich, syrupy and silky-smooth. The carbonation is very minimal but there's just enough to balance out the heaviness of this liquid, which is so thick that it almost fights the tongue as I swirl it around in my mouth.

D- The 13% ABV is very pronounced throughout this beer, but it doesn't seem out of place. I was able to finish a 12oz bottle without difficulty, but I wouldn't want more than that in a sitting. A slow sipper if there ever was one.

I cannot wait to see what a few years of age will do to this beer. Seek this out!

11-05-2008 01:57:22 | More by Tdizzle
SpecialK088

Missouri

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a willy

A-Dark jet black no head really puors a very oilly consistancy.

S-Malt rich and complex, cherry note with alcohol and a heavy bourbon note.

T-This one is a little beyond me almost, extremly complex everything in the nose comes out in the flavor. Very rich and smooth with an huge amount of flavor.

M-Thick and very smooth good carbonation very heavy body.

D-No thanks all the time but possiblly one of the greatest sippers I have ever had.

11-01-2008 02:48:43 | More by SpecialK088
naterock

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

the deepest black with nearly no head to speak of.

smell is so pungent but complex. chocolate ice cream and a thick caramel malt. a nose of bourbon that stings the nose when deeply inhaled

taste is velvety and thick, strong chocolate cream that is oh so smooth. goes down easy but stings in the finish, the bourbon is evident in the finish along with some woody char. definitely a good representation of this style, and holy shit it's %13 ABV!

11-01-2008 02:42:06 | More by naterock
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz received in my recent trade with orbitalr0x ... 2008 vintage.. huge thanks Don.. poured into a big bordeaux glass. Says Bottled on 08/01/08.

Very short lived dark brown head 1/2"... not much of a cap... the brew is of course black... very viscous on the pour.

Aroma is like a bourbon chocolate and coffee ice cream.. but man.. the bourbon punch is surprising.. thankfully I like some of Kentucky's Finest. alot of whiskey and vanilla... but quite a bit of caramel and chocolate too... but it is definitely the bourbon that is the star of the show.. if I put my face over the glass, I swear I can feel the whiskey burn my eyes (in a good way).

Wow!! I've had the BCS before.. but Christ I know I remember it as complex.. but my memory does not do it justice. Flavor starts out as a vanilla caramel sweetness but get's wiped off my palate by the bourbon.. melts slowly into chocolate with a little bit of char.. quite a bit of cherry.. almost like a kirsch.. but the cherry is fleeting as it transitions into a slick rush of bourbon that lingers forever. The body is very viscous.. accentuated by a lite little bubble carbonation.

This brew really is worth the hype... no doubt. I am keeping the drinkability down just a notch.. but it isn't a bad thing.. I want another sip immediately following the previous, but the thick mouthfeel and relative lack of carbonation hurts it for me... plus it still seems quite rough around the edges.. but still fantastic for sure.

Don is a fantastic trader and comes highly recommended... thanks again.

4/5/5/4/4

10-30-2008 07:26:08 | More by JohnGalt1
IBUnit63

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

One of the many gems in hero27's clinically insane LNBA BIF shipment - many thanks for sending this Chicago treasure along! 2007 vintage into a Cab glass...

Deep, dark, espresso/motor oil/tar...needless to say, quite viscous with wisps of pumpernickel head up top - very small wisps.

Creamy vanilla with a lot of oaky feel to it - bourbon sweetness with hearty chocolate tones...a nice smokiness as in ultra-seared steak char. Heavy, boozy caramel...more bittersweet chocolate - almost too much to mention here. With further warmth, grassy hops emerge. It's got it all, baby...$#!+ dog!

Whooo hooo...complexity abounds. Bourbon, vanilla, oak, coffee...ultra-dry bitter coffee/chocolate mega-roasted malt...austere grassy hops complement the bittersweet malt quite nicely and after a while balance out the bourbon booziness. This cools off nicely with a fair amount of warm alcohol remaining.

All over the place - this has bittersweet grassy hops in Beautiful Chemistry with chocolate/coffee huge malt and mellowing bourbon. Port-like tones on deep background.

Definitely something to seek and savor. More motivation to visit family in the Chicagoland area more often and to bring some back for the cellar. This could even out with a little more time but even now it drinks down much more quickly than anticipated. A classic.

10-29-2008 10:35:49 | More by IBUnit63
younger35

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Just picked up a four pack of this delicious nectar from Dobby's in Palatine for $21.99. Ridiculously expensive, but I will get ONE four pack a year. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

2008 Edition bottled on 10/03/08 (flavor will continue to develop over five years).

Appearance- Pours a super dark blackish brown with a slowly formed dark brown head that dissipates fairly quickly. The cap disappears completely shortly after leaving a thin collar and zero lacing.
Smell- Probably the most intense Whiskey nose you can smell on a beer (with its close competitor being Full Sail Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter). Plenty of vanilla bean and a wet cardboard like woodiness. Caramel, coffee and cream, alcohol and some chocolate are all pretty prevalent.
Taste- Starts with a very light sweetness and an overwhelming burst of caramel and vanilla. The Bourbon Whiskey is still very young and quite intense. Had a 2007 not long ago and this burn wasn't nearly as bad. Intensely bitter woodiness from the charred oak and a light chocolate kiss. Hints of deeply dark smoky fruits and a light numbing hop bite. The alcohol is a bit rough right now but it gets way better in less than a year.
Mouthfeel- Insanely thick and rich with a smooth velvety feel and light tickling carbonation. In no way could it be better.
Drinkability- Admittingly, this isn't the most drinkable beer ever this fresh. When I had the 2007 a couple months ago it was much smoother and the drinkability was probably a full point better than the fresh '08 (I'm splitting the difference for my review score fyi). This thing only gets better. What's funny is I'm making it sound like its bad fresh; far from it. This is an amazing beer that I've thoroughly enjoyed every single time I've had it. Seek this out. Now.

10-29-2008 01:21:30 | More by younger35
SirSketch

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goose Island has always been one of my favorite breweries, and even being as objective as possible, I had to rate this beer very high.

Very little head when poured and extremely dark in color. The barrel aging comes out a lot in the aroma. The smell is awesome and complex, with noted of whiskey. I was surprised to catch some hop aroma.

Tastes of sweet chocolate and bourbon whiskey. Some cherry and plum come through, too. The 13% ABV is really apparent once you breath in after swallowing. Full bodied and slick as oil. Very good sipper beer. Excellent!

10-27-2008 02:19:27 | More by SirSketch
Nickls

District of Columbia

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at New Beer in NYC. They had quite a few bottles, and I'm not sure how well this held on the shelf.

A - Jet black color with a tan/caramel head. Surprising lacing for the style

S - Bourbon right up front, but not overwhelming. Hints of smokiness and bitter chocolate

T - Bourbon/whiskey is predominant, but not a strong taste of alcohol. Bittersweet chocolate notes, and not as smoky as I got in the nose.

M - Medium weight in the mouth, but smooth, rich and a little viscous

D - Very easy given the complexity and depth of this brew!

Overall, I'm sure that this sample wasn't cellared in the best way, but I still thought this was fantastic. Really brilliant stuff. I'm anxious to try the other years.

10-23-2008 01:32:00 | More by Nickls
PittBeerGirl

4.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to Elric73 for this one! Great trader! 2006 BCS poured into my snifter.

A-Body is a viscous motor oil black that pours with an approximately 1/2 finger foamy cocoa brown head. Head subsides slowly to a thin collar and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is robust and complex. The sweetness and astringency of bourbon comes through first with a big, thick, robust chocolate malt backbone.

T- The taste is very similar to the smell. The bourbon character balances with the roasted chocolate malt and hints of toffee also come through. The flavor is sweeter than most stouts I have had but it adds a nice touch. The flavors remain balanced but intensify for the finish. An alcohol warmth lingers also.

M- Nice, thick, vicious, warm mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation.

D- This was 13%? wow. did not realize that. Definitely an imperial stout but I would have guessed 9%. This one ages nicely and is very tasty. I would love to have it again! Thanks for the trade and the extra bottle!

10-21-2008 02:37:19 | More by PittBeerGirl
rhinos00

Colorado

Before I give my review, I just want to state that I tried not to be bias (I had a bad experience with bourbon 7 years ago and it has haunted me to this day) but I think it was impossible not to.

A- Midnight black with virtually no head.

S- Bourbon is overpowering, but wonderful. Slight smell of malt on the back side.

T- The taste of bourbon is definitely at the forefront. Afterwards, the malt brings some nice sweetness to the taste.

M- Thick and smooth. Just perfect.

D- At 13% abv. this knocked me on my ass. Definitely cannot have more than one of these. Maybe one is even too much.

I wish that I would have never had the bad experience with bourbon that I had 7 years ago. As much as I tried to ignore it, every sip I took brought that mental image back. If you are a bourbon drinker, you will love this beer.

10-18-2008 03:16:21 | More by rhinos00
MasterSki

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Just drank a bottle from 2003 - it seems that first batch didn't even have real labels! They instead used a Honker's Ale label put on inside out, and then printed Bourbon County Stout in cash register style font. Drank out of a Goose Island snifter at Sheffield's Pub in Chicago.

A: Pitch black, solid dark brown head with decent retention but little lacing. Swishing the glass results in a molasses-like oozing down the sides of the glass.

S: Bourbon and oakiness were predominant. Some vanilla and caramel hints. Delicious!

T: Was exceptionally smooth while chilled, but the bourbon really came out as the glass warmed up. Sweeter than newly bottled BCS, with more malt presence.

M: Thick, creamy, and a little bit sticky.

D: At 13%+, you can only have maybe two of these in an evening. It looks like the 2008 is only 11% which might make it a little more consumable - but this aged bottle was one and done; although I can't imagine many beers that would be a worthy follow-up.

Bottom line: Grab some bottles, drink a few, cellar the rest!

10-17-2008 02:00:00 | More by MasterSki
srandycarter

4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

2007 bottle on 10.12.07

A - Jet black, thin mocha head, leggy clingy lacing.

S - Orgasmic. Deepest cocoa coffee that just seems 'right'.

T - Not up to the smell, but close. Heavy coffee and chocolate notes laced with bourbon. Good balance and ends with a little chocolate treat.

M - Motor oil, just barely enough carb, incredible relentless coating.

D - For the style, very, but overall, c'mon.

10-15-2008 05:17:49 | More by srandycarter
Proteus93

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

An extra tossed in a trade, courtesy RedHaze. Thanks, Chris! 2007 bottling.

A: Pitch black with a short head of brown. Doesn't last long, but that's somewhat expected with the high ABV.

S: Big, spicy bourbon nose. Heavy, charred oak scents, vanilla. Beautiful.

T: An intense bourbon flavour along with the oakiness. Quite huge. Vanilla comes out on the finish. Some touches of anise, and deep roasted/burnt malts.

M + D: Big, rich, and full with a stickiness towards the end + over the lips. Alcohol heat is evident on the end. This has aged quite nicely... with the big alcohol, I imagine it could be a little hot and large for my palate when it's fresh.

10-15-2008 02:24:54 | More by Proteus93
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.