2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Ratings: 6,981 | Reviews: 2,286 | Show All Ratings:
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz received in my recent trade with orbitalr0x ... 2008 vintage.. huge thanks Don.. poured into a big bordeaux glass. Says Bottled on 08/01/08.

Very short lived dark brown head 1/2"... not much of a cap... the brew is of course black... very viscous on the pour.

Aroma is like a bourbon chocolate and coffee ice cream.. but man.. the bourbon punch is surprising.. thankfully I like some of Kentucky's Finest. alot of whiskey and vanilla... but quite a bit of caramel and chocolate too... but it is definitely the bourbon that is the star of the show.. if I put my face over the glass, I swear I can feel the whiskey burn my eyes (in a good way).

Wow!! I've had the BCS before.. but Christ I know I remember it as complex.. but my memory does not do it justice. Flavor starts out as a vanilla caramel sweetness but get's wiped off my palate by the bourbon.. melts slowly into chocolate with a little bit of char.. quite a bit of cherry.. almost like a kirsch.. but the cherry is fleeting as it transitions into a slick rush of bourbon that lingers forever. The body is very viscous.. accentuated by a lite little bubble carbonation.

This brew really is worth the hype... no doubt. I am keeping the drinkability down just a notch.. but it isn't a bad thing.. I want another sip immediately following the previous, but the thick mouthfeel and relative lack of carbonation hurts it for me... plus it still seems quite rough around the edges.. but still fantastic for sure.

Don is a fantastic trader and comes highly recommended... thanks again.

4/5/5/4/4

10-30-2008 07:26:08 | More by JohnGalt1
IBUnit63

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

One of the many gems in hero27's clinically insane LNBA BIF shipment - many thanks for sending this Chicago treasure along! 2007 vintage into a Cab glass...

Deep, dark, espresso/motor oil/tar...needless to say, quite viscous with wisps of pumpernickel head up top - very small wisps.

Creamy vanilla with a lot of oaky feel to it - bourbon sweetness with hearty chocolate tones...a nice smokiness as in ultra-seared steak char. Heavy, boozy caramel...more bittersweet chocolate - almost too much to mention here. With further warmth, grassy hops emerge. It's got it all, baby...$#!+ dog!

Whooo hooo...complexity abounds. Bourbon, vanilla, oak, coffee...ultra-dry bitter coffee/chocolate mega-roasted malt...austere grassy hops complement the bittersweet malt quite nicely and after a while balance out the bourbon booziness. This cools off nicely with a fair amount of warm alcohol remaining.

All over the place - this has bittersweet grassy hops in Beautiful Chemistry with chocolate/coffee huge malt and mellowing bourbon. Port-like tones on deep background.

Definitely something to seek and savor. More motivation to visit family in the Chicagoland area more often and to bring some back for the cellar. This could even out with a little more time but even now it drinks down much more quickly than anticipated. A classic.

10-29-2008 10:35:49 | More by IBUnit63
younger35

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Just picked up a four pack of this delicious nectar from Dobby's in Palatine for $21.99. Ridiculously expensive, but I will get ONE four pack a year. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

2008 Edition bottled on 10/03/08 (flavor will continue to develop over five years).

Appearance- Pours a super dark blackish brown with a slowly formed dark brown head that dissipates fairly quickly. The cap disappears completely shortly after leaving a thin collar and zero lacing.
Smell- Probably the most intense Whiskey nose you can smell on a beer (with its close competitor being Full Sail Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter). Plenty of vanilla bean and a wet cardboard like woodiness. Caramel, coffee and cream, alcohol and some chocolate are all pretty prevalent.
Taste- Starts with a very light sweetness and an overwhelming burst of caramel and vanilla. The Bourbon Whiskey is still very young and quite intense. Had a 2007 not long ago and this burn wasn't nearly as bad. Intensely bitter woodiness from the charred oak and a light chocolate kiss. Hints of deeply dark smoky fruits and a light numbing hop bite. The alcohol is a bit rough right now but it gets way better in less than a year.
Mouthfeel- Insanely thick and rich with a smooth velvety feel and light tickling carbonation. In no way could it be better.
Drinkability- Admittingly, this isn't the most drinkable beer ever this fresh. When I had the 2007 a couple months ago it was much smoother and the drinkability was probably a full point better than the fresh '08 (I'm splitting the difference for my review score fyi). This thing only gets better. What's funny is I'm making it sound like its bad fresh; far from it. This is an amazing beer that I've thoroughly enjoyed every single time I've had it. Seek this out. Now.

10-29-2008 01:21:30 | More by younger35
SirSketch

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goose Island has always been one of my favorite breweries, and even being as objective as possible, I had to rate this beer very high.

Very little head when poured and extremely dark in color. The barrel aging comes out a lot in the aroma. The smell is awesome and complex, with noted of whiskey. I was surprised to catch some hop aroma.

Tastes of sweet chocolate and bourbon whiskey. Some cherry and plum come through, too. The 13% ABV is really apparent once you breath in after swallowing. Full bodied and slick as oil. Very good sipper beer. Excellent!

10-27-2008 02:19:27 | More by SirSketch
Nickls

District of Columbia

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at New Beer in NYC. They had quite a few bottles, and I'm not sure how well this held on the shelf.

A - Jet black color with a tan/caramel head. Surprising lacing for the style

S - Bourbon right up front, but not overwhelming. Hints of smokiness and bitter chocolate

T - Bourbon/whiskey is predominant, but not a strong taste of alcohol. Bittersweet chocolate notes, and not as smoky as I got in the nose.

M - Medium weight in the mouth, but smooth, rich and a little viscous

D - Very easy given the complexity and depth of this brew!

Overall, I'm sure that this sample wasn't cellared in the best way, but I still thought this was fantastic. Really brilliant stuff. I'm anxious to try the other years.

10-23-2008 01:32:00 | More by Nickls
PittBeerGirl

4.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to Elric73 for this one! Great trader! 2006 BCS poured into my snifter.

A-Body is a viscous motor oil black that pours with an approximately 1/2 finger foamy cocoa brown head. Head subsides slowly to a thin collar and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is robust and complex. The sweetness and astringency of bourbon comes through first with a big, thick, robust chocolate malt backbone.

T- The taste is very similar to the smell. The bourbon character balances with the roasted chocolate malt and hints of toffee also come through. The flavor is sweeter than most stouts I have had but it adds a nice touch. The flavors remain balanced but intensify for the finish. An alcohol warmth lingers also.

M- Nice, thick, vicious, warm mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation.

D- This was 13%? wow. did not realize that. Definitely an imperial stout but I would have guessed 9%. This one ages nicely and is very tasty. I would love to have it again! Thanks for the trade and the extra bottle!

10-21-2008 02:37:19 | More by PittBeerGirl
rhinos00

Colorado

Before I give my review, I just want to state that I tried not to be bias (I had a bad experience with bourbon 7 years ago and it has haunted me to this day) but I think it was impossible not to.

A- Midnight black with virtually no head.

S- Bourbon is overpowering, but wonderful. Slight smell of malt on the back side.

T- The taste of bourbon is definitely at the forefront. Afterwards, the malt brings some nice sweetness to the taste.

M- Thick and smooth. Just perfect.

D- At 13% abv. this knocked me on my ass. Definitely cannot have more than one of these. Maybe one is even too much.

I wish that I would have never had the bad experience with bourbon that I had 7 years ago. As much as I tried to ignore it, every sip I took brought that mental image back. If you are a bourbon drinker, you will love this beer.

10-18-2008 03:16:21 | More by rhinos00
MasterSki

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Just drank a bottle from 2003 - it seems that first batch didn't even have real labels! They instead used a Honker's Ale label put on inside out, and then printed Bourbon County Stout in cash register style font. Drank out of a Goose Island snifter at Sheffield's Pub in Chicago.

A: Pitch black, solid dark brown head with decent retention but little lacing. Swishing the glass results in a molasses-like oozing down the sides of the glass.

S: Bourbon and oakiness were predominant. Some vanilla and caramel hints. Delicious!

T: Was exceptionally smooth while chilled, but the bourbon really came out as the glass warmed up. Sweeter than newly bottled BCS, with more malt presence.

M: Thick, creamy, and a little bit sticky.

D: At 13%+, you can only have maybe two of these in an evening. It looks like the 2008 is only 11% which might make it a little more consumable - but this aged bottle was one and done; although I can't imagine many beers that would be a worthy follow-up.

Bottom line: Grab some bottles, drink a few, cellar the rest!

10-17-2008 02:00:00 | More by MasterSki
srandycarter

4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

2007 bottle on 10.12.07

A - Jet black, thin mocha head, leggy clingy lacing.

S - Orgasmic. Deepest cocoa coffee that just seems 'right'.

T - Not up to the smell, but close. Heavy coffee and chocolate notes laced with bourbon. Good balance and ends with a little chocolate treat.

M - Motor oil, just barely enough carb, incredible relentless coating.

D - For the style, very, but overall, c'mon.

10-15-2008 05:17:49 | More by srandycarter
Proteus93

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

An extra tossed in a trade, courtesy RedHaze. Thanks, Chris! 2007 bottling.

A: Pitch black with a short head of brown. Doesn't last long, but that's somewhat expected with the high ABV.

S: Big, spicy bourbon nose. Heavy, charred oak scents, vanilla. Beautiful.

T: An intense bourbon flavour along with the oakiness. Quite huge. Vanilla comes out on the finish. Some touches of anise, and deep roasted/burnt malts.

M + D: Big, rich, and full with a stickiness towards the end + over the lips. Alcohol heat is evident on the end. This has aged quite nicely... with the big alcohol, I imagine it could be a little hot and large for my palate when it's fresh.

10-15-2008 02:24:54 | More by Proteus93
theboozecruise

Louisiana

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

This was the first of many Goose Island brews I tried on this past weekend's trip to Chicago. I had it on tap at the Goose Island brewpub in Wrigleyville.

It was served in a snifter, deep brown with a nice creamy golden head. $10 seems a bit much, but it came highly recommended, so why not give it a try? This definitely looked like a beer worth trying.

The smell is exactly what you would expect from something called a 'bourbon county stout'... except ten times stronger and more rich. Definite aroma of bourbon, strong chocolate flavors, a hint of vanilla... delicious.

The taste is just as complex and rich, and the alcohol content is noticeable. It's definitely not a beer I could sit down and drink one after another, but for a session starter, this one was a phenomenal brew.

I'm not a stout fan, and I'd still consider this one of the 5-10 best beers I've tried in recent memory.

10-07-2008 13:35:49 | More by theboozecruise
beerfairy

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - The beer looks like a deep black with a nice brown/black head .

Smell - Strong bourbon and oak flavors with just a hint of vanilla. Almost everything is overpowered by the bourbon.

Taste - Definitely taste the bourbon and chocolate flavors, very complex beer, nicely done.

Mouthfeel/drinkability- rich and warm, but surprisingly smooth. This is defiantly a sipper. You can't drink too many of these with that high ABV, but it has a lot of flavor.

10-05-2008 02:26:00 | More by beerfairy
DownDaHatch

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

Be ready for this one. This is certainly a sipper. I understand the ABV is in the neighborhood of 16%. Now that fall is upon us in the midwest. This is a great beer to get comfortable with. The bourbon is very present both in aroma and taste. Heavy flavor of bourbon, oak, dark chocolate and even a bit of vanilla. You almost want to chew this beer instead of drinking it. The beer pours well and develops a remarkably nice head. The beer just improves with the ability to warm while opening a bit. You will taste the bold flavors for a long time. I will venture to the cigar store and then to Binny's for a bottle and simply lounge in the hot tub one of these cooler nights. The effect will certainly state "lights out".

10-04-2008 21:02:19 | More by DownDaHatch
julian

Washington

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%

2007 bottle provided in trade by a damn fine trader by the name of hwwty4. Thanks Bill!

A: Jet black with a small layer of velvety brown head.

S: Mmm, smells of wood, bourbon, chocolate and some dark fruits, like fig and raisins. Faint alcoholic presence too, but not much...I guess this has mellowed pretty well over the past 1yr+

T: Holy SHIT! This is amazing! There's a definite alcohol presence here, so I rescind my comment above. It's not a bad thing though, far from it! Up front the taste is of bourbon and chocolate then it opens up and the sweet malts and dark fruit come into play. It's slightly roasty, with perhaps a layer of coffee near the end. Aftertaste is actually chocolate-y and sweet. This is definitely a high octane beer that wants to kick your ass! I'm bending over and getting ready to be fucked!

M: Awesome. Low carbonation, almost velvety smooth feel and a nice alcohol burn going down that lasts. So good.

D: God, even though this is a monster, this is goddamn delicious. I'm so glad I have 3 more! I could never drink more than 1 though...I wouldn't want to either. These are to be preserved and experienced...not drink on a whim.

10-03-2008 03:36:24 | More by julian
tuo

4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

Had this beer at a tapping this evening.

Appearance - The beer looks like a deep black with a nice brown/black head that is there but then settles nicely around the top of the beer.

Smell - STRONG bourbon and oak flavors with just a hint of vanilla. Almost everything is overpowered by the bourbon.

Taste - Lot of bourbon up front with some nice complex malty flavors too follow. When warmed in the mouth it really accentuates the alcohol flavor. My favorite part of the beer was the finish which tasted like Dark Chocolate that lingered in your mouth for quite some time.

Overall the beer has a great complex malty profile with lots of bourbon flavor to it. Don't pass this one up if you enjoy a good bourbon stout.

10-02-2008 01:33:08 | More by tuo
becktone

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

From Notes: 9-19-08, 2007 vintage

Eye: Given the abv of this brew it looks pretty good. Head formation is pretty weak, then again the high alcohol is detrimental to it. What is here is a light brown/mud tan colored sheet/film that covers the top of the beer. Color of this one is pitch black. "I mean how much blacker could it get?...and the answer is none, none blacker." Lacing is not really here, it does not stick to the glass, then again, I'm thinking that the high alcohol content has something to do with that This beer, even though a small head is formed, has probably the best retention I've ever seen, It does not dwindle even after the lips have repeatedly touched it, it is still as thick, if not thicker than when it was first formed.

Nose: Strong woody aroma, vanilla, and an aroma that reminds me much of coconut. I'm quite surprised that I can even smell any of the malt characteristics, the bourbon barrel is so prevalent that the backbone of this beer is definitely very hearty to be able to cut through that. I get mainly a burnt dark grain.

Tongue: In the first sip I can taste so much malt that it is unbelievable. This isn't the first time I"ve tried this beer, I sampled it not too long ago, however, I didn't taste this much malt character. Lots of roasted notes, chocolate, and coffee as well. Roasted grain bitterness. Woodiness is also here, as well as some vanilla notes. Close to the finish I am picking up the notes from the bourbon-kinda like buttery type notes that I pick up when drinking bourbon. Overall this is one complex brew, very tasty.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Heavy on the palate with a dry finish. Leaves the lips sticky. Carbonation is extremely low, not even really noticeable less its looked for. I can't ask for more with a beer like this in terms of mouthfeel, it is perfect. This is one that you can't drink all night, but one that you'll definitely be coming back to. This is a perfect beer to it back and sip on for a while, I can see it being perfect after one has just come in from a snowy, wintery night. I'll be picking this up again, however, I'm not sure how soon, it is a pretty pricy drink.

09-23-2008 23:07:56 | More by becktone
surfnebr

Nebraska

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Dark black tint, thick brown head

S - BOURBON, roasted malt, sweet

T - Big bourbon front, roasted malt in the middle and a warm buttery finish that was surprisingly smooth

M - Thick, as big as advertised, warm down the throat, buttery

One could age this beer for a couple years if not more and it would be amazing. Its great now, but let it mature and it will be great.

09-23-2008 18:49:32 | More by surfnebr
spointon

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

From a 4 pack I scored of the 2008 vintage at the release party at Binny's in the south loop. I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A= Just about the darkest beer I have ever had. This thing is as black as a bag of assholes. Even with an agressive pour there was only the slightest hint of a head which quickly disappeared.

S= This brew smelled of alcohol, bourbon, vanilla, and oak, pretty much in that order.

T= This is the Disneyland of beers. I was blown away by the fact that this beer could wow me with flavor yet force me to sip its goodness for fear of its mighty abv wrath. I detected everything I found in the aroma (bourbon, vanilla, and oak) plus a strong presence of ripe dark fruit and a sweet caramel quality that is hard to describe et heaven on the tongue.

MF= This brew had a medium heavy body and a low carbonation level. Mouthfeel was heavy yet smooth.

D= A definite sipper, this is one of the best big stouts I have ever had, and definitely worthy of the hype. Get yourself some of this beer post-haste!!!

09-22-2008 06:54:11 | More by spointon
Stonebreaker

3.53/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance: Possibly the blackest beer I've ever laid eyes upon.

Smell: Sweet bourbon, smoke, maybe a little vanilla.

Taste: It's a way too sweet for my taste, definitely tasting the charred oak and very dark malt, the vanilla and bourbon sit on the tongue with a cloying aftertaste. Is this why people smoke cigars with this stuff, to cut the sweetness? Jesus! I need to pair this with something asap.

Mouthfeel: Very rich and creamy.

Drinkability: The 'overpowering' sweetness and alcohol make this one an average at best and that's being generous.

09-21-2008 19:38:59 | More by Stonebreaker
gonzogambler

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

2007 edition, drank a few 4 packs of these already this year and in the past and ready for another out of what I have saved. Fills the glass with blackness and very little tan head. Smell is roasted coffee, bourbon, vanilla, and happiness.

The taste still makes me smile like a tourist even though I'm just back visiting again. The alcohol is there but is nicely wrapped with dark chocolate, bourbon, and molasses. Beers like this remind me why my favorite style still is a stout or a porter even with all the love to the hop bombs (hot moms?).

Mouthfeel is rich and silky. Drinkability is excellent, but its definitely a sipper; its got more flavor than fits between my jaws.

09-20-2008 02:43:05 | More by gonzogambler
kkipple

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

The encore to a VERY successful tasting night with friends in stupid-humid South Carolina.

Pours a motor oil (ugh, such an overused phrase!) deep brown, thick and viscous. Not much head here, but for 13%, what did you expect?

If you are a bourbon fan, this is your beer. Full stop. An intensely rich, woody and well, bourbony nose assaults the senses after even the slightest sniff. Heavy and dense, this wallop hides chocolate, booze, charred wood and grain and more booze in a smooth, complex package. Did I mention it's intensely rich? It's intensely rich.

Oh my. A sip confirms my expectations and then some. Layered chocolate-coffee malt frolicks over my tongue while bourbon wood-heat tingles. Sugary sweetness is held in check by an immense amount of roast grains and toasty wood, all of which blend together wonderfully in an absolutely decadent package. The alcohol is so big here and so, so welcome. Warm and slick, the finish is long and mature and lingers with a bittersweet boozy, woody reminder. This is hearty and knee-slappingly good.

Bourbon County Stout is an Imperial Stout of the highest order, for the bourbon lover an absolute must-try. It may cause you to grow hair in funny places, but it's well worth it.

09-19-2008 03:05:38 | More by kkipple
jasonjlewis

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a sort of weak head with some decent retention, BUT I didn't expect a great head with this particular beer. The color is very dark as well.

There is a nice bourbon smell. It is a bit faint, but it smells like a non-distilled bottle of bourbon perhaps. I'm not a liquor drinker, but that's what it smells like to me. There are faint traces of chocolate, vanilla, and mint. As the beer warms, a nice black licorice smell comes out.

Taste is liquor like. There are some fruity tones going on. There is a red grape flavor mixed with some sweet chocolate and a splash on mint with a finish of vanilla. It's wonderfully complex. As it works there is a nice black. licorice flavor.

This is such a wonderfully complex beer. It is very unique and gives a fine liquor taste without the intense alcohol level. I'm not a huge fan of liquor at all, but I do like this beer. I think this one will be a bourbon lover's dream. It is something else for a 13% abv. It's not overly boozy. It's really nicely balanced.

I believe pwoods provided me with this excellent sample.

09-17-2008 03:30:39 | More by jasonjlewis
PatronWizard

3.85/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to Bankhead for the hookup. So it's about lunch time. My wonderful wife is whipping up some taco salad and I tell her to pick out a lunch beer. She roots around a little, reads a label or two and says "this one." Lets do it!

Just as black as the bottle predicts. She pours half the bottle with no head. After drinking it down a little, I say "watch, here's how you pour a good head." Man am I a moron. This stuff is too thick, too black, and too much booze to make a head. I poured it like those crazy waiters who dump your ice-water from two feet up and still no luck. Small brown bubbles welled up and fizzled out.

Smells like Johnny Walker Black Label. Maybe just because that's my whiskey of choice. Very, very strong scent. I'm having trouble sniffing through the bourbon to anything else, but worry not, I'll keep sniffing as it warms.

Very, very flavorful. The bourbon is prominent. Maybe some cocoa, maybe some charcoal (in a good way), wood. Tons of bourbon flavor. And I mean tons. This is like bourbon beer. If you hate bourbon, don't even attempt this bad boy becuase it tastes like bourbon. Also, it tastes like bourbon and has a strong bourbon flavor with a thick bourbon backing. I shit you not, If I'm lying I'm dying, this beer tastes like bourbon!

Very thick stuff. Creamy, nice, slick in the old pie hole. Like sippin on cream-of-bourbon soup.

Drinkability? This is a tough one to rate. One bottle may have a good drikability, as it's strangely enticing. More than one bottle? Yeah, right, let me see you do it. The 13% is shamelessly in your face, like your buddy's kid sister at a kegger. This shit is strong.

Overall: hardcore beer at it's hardcorest. Seduces you, like your buddy's kid sister at a kegger. I want another bottle or four to age.

09-08-2008 19:39:54 | More by PatronWizard
waltonc

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

2007 bottle. This is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Extreme quantities of bourbon and vanilla go down my gullet with ease. Definitely the most pronounced bourbon I have ever experienced in a beer. Thick body with carbonation on the lower side. It may be 13% alcohol and strong as hell, but what a great stout.

09-07-2008 15:03:25 | More by waltonc
abfraser

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Dark black; little, if no head

S: Coconut, vanilla, bourbon. This barely even smells like beer but a smooth, complex bourbon instead

T: Damn good. As in go get a bottle good. Creamy oak and vanilla, good balance. Everything is exceptional here.

M: Dangerously smooth. Lots of complexity that lingers for quite awhile.

D: An excellent brew but you probably wouldn't want that many in one sitting given the 13% abv

09-07-2008 05:39:48 | More by abfraser
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.