1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 1,847
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros

JxExM, Feb 19, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at New Beer in NYC. They had quite a few bottles, and I'm not sure how well this held on the shelf.

A - Jet black color with a tan/caramel head. Surprising lacing for the style

S - Bourbon right up front, but not overwhelming. Hints of smokiness and bitter chocolate

T - Bourbon/whiskey is predominant, but not a strong taste of alcohol. Bittersweet chocolate notes, and not as smoky as I got in the nose.

M - Medium weight in the mouth, but smooth, rich and a little viscous

D - Very easy given the complexity and depth of this brew!

Overall, I'm sure that this sample wasn't cellared in the best way, but I still thought this was fantastic. Really brilliant stuff. I'm anxious to try the other years.

Nickls, Oct 23, 2008

MicroBeerMan1980, Jul 09, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +1.1%

22 oz bootel poured into my lost abbey stemware glaas ,botteld oktober 2009

Strong molasses roasted malt aroma with strong bourbon notes. Dark black syrupy with minimal chocolate brown head. Big flavor. Thick and syrupy. Sweet roasted coffee. Vanilla and carmel are present. Strong alcoholic presence is not overly evident. Bitterness is mild. Palate is thick and syrupy. Very good overall although I am biased towards this kind of beer. Seems like you could pour it on ice Cream
Awesome stout !!!

beerpirates, Jan 01, 2011
4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottled on 9-20-12.

A- Pours dark as night, and oily slick. Little to no head, but ok lacing and retention on what's there. Collar of foam on the top is chocolatey brown in color.

S- Strong mix of bourbon, oak, and stouty goodness. Primary flavors are the strong whiskey flavor with definite notes of vanilla and oak mixed with traditional stout malt flavors. Hints of black licorice in the dark malts.

T- Starts off with a sweet vanilla-oak mix. Then the bourbon heat and flavor kicks in. Right in the middle, traditional stout flavors with heavy chocolate tones and a fair amount of coffee roast comes through. That black licorice flavor that was in the scent is also present on the palate; I think it might be anise. Ends with a slight coffee bite mixed in with a last little whiskey kick.

M- Thick and dense. One of the thickest and heaviest I've had. Lots of alcohol heat. Definitely a sipper. One that can warm you and last you through an entire night.

Overall, I think this one lives up to the hype. I think it may be a little over-proofed when compared to KBS and similar options, but it definitely has way more whiskey flavor to it. If you are a bourbon over, this is for you. I think this might be better in a few months when the heat has mellowed out a little bit.

boilermakerbrew, Oct 06, 2012

DRTBrewster, Dec 08, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2008 12oz into a pint (thanks Oliver!)

Jet black, thick syrup, aged perfectly. This beer aged for five years is so far in advance of any bourbon forward brew that I have had ever. This is my first Goose Island, and I am impressed. I don't get much of the midwest incredible BA stouts in CO, I figured we would, but no. Incredible, perfect smell and mouthfeel. Taste is not far behind. One of my favorite beers. I will be looking for this one soon. And this is not even the RARE, but I can imagine back in 2008 things were a little more refined.

gueuzedreg, Apr 04, 2013

OUJayhawk1799, Mar 25, 2013

pat_usher, Jul 16, 2014

mrchrisray, Dec 29, 2013

jwhancher, Jan 02, 2014

bmmortale, Jul 13, 2013
2.41/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

On draft at the bar, very fresh keg.

Ill be that guy and say that I am not a fan. The bourbon was overpowering in both the smell and the taste. The vanilla that was supposed to be in the smell was not present due to the overpowering scent of bourbon.

This left a huge bourbon taste on my tongue and did not allow me to taste any other flavors.

Color was perfect for a heavy stout, dark but not cloudy. Head remained for a little while, but ended as a small amount around the edges of the goblet the beer was served in.

I can see how this would be a good beer to barrel aged beer fans, but it is not for me.

timmy2b, Feb 14, 2014
3.9/5  rDev -14.8%

First off, this one needs to be buried in a cave for 50 years and given to my grandchildren. I found this to be pretty hot with bourbon. This is not a stout with some bourbon, its a bourbon with some stout.

A: Pours a sludgy black oil that yields a minute dark brown head that does not last at all. Five minutes in and there is no head at all on this one now.

S: Straight Kentucky mash up front. Not much else. If I use my imagination I may be able to note some chocolate, roast and caramel in there, but the bourbon masks everything.

T: If I were a whiskey fan I would be in heaven. But I'm not. I found the whiskey notes to be overpowering and take away from the other flavors in there. Once you swallow you can get a glimpse of chocolate and caramel but those get ass-whooped by the bourbon.

Overall, this is candy for a whiskey lover, but I found the bourbon to be a little distracting.

treyrab, Jan 25, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Pitch black, very little tan head.

S - Bourbon, alcohol and sweet chocolate.

T - Very good! Bourbon, oak, chocolate and alcohol. This is a really good beer now, cellared for a while I think it would be a great beer.

M - -Thick and syrupy, very nice.

D - Well, normally I would say I could only drink one, or split it with someone, but I had the opportunity to go to a party that had a pony keg of this. 1/2 glass pours and still had a hell of a hangover, so watch it with this one.

Lukafer, Feb 28, 2010

C2H5, Jun 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

lilsmizzul1225, Jan 21, 2013
4.35/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At 12oz bottle into snifter. Bottled on 09.24.10 – 2010 Vintage – lot number 2056

A: As I have seen with the Bourbon county family, they do not have good head formation or retention, so with a vertical pour, I was able o get about a one finger radiant khaki head that dissipated within 30 seconds. The body is jet black and creates a lunar eclipse when held to the light. The lacing is non-existent.

S: The aroma of the bourbon barreled beast is a dominance of.. well bourbon, but a deep waft shows a a bitter hop complexity and a solid malt background as a base. This is a medium to high intensity aroma, while bourbon is in the forefront, it is in the name sake and as the vintages age, this becomes less evident, but this is a fairly fresh batch.

T/M: When the brew hits your lips, it creates a smooth, but thick sludge, that finishes well and leaves a warming and powerful mouthfeel. The bourbon is a very nice addition to a stout of this caliber. The notes of hop bitterness found in the nose are at the depths of this beer and hard to find among the overwhelming bourbon character. As for the mouthfeel, there is a creamy aspect that is Bourbon Brand County Stout that cannot be matched. One of the best high end stouts that has a high ABV and is still drinkable, (yes BCBS and the word drinkable, haha, where did the beer in my glass go?) The lingering sensation holds the key, which is the hop bitterness that makes this brew complete.

O: Overall, this is a beer for a cold night, break on a cross-country ski tour, hot tub, cigar, or a mid-morning watching one of my dogs with two torn ACL's, which I have enjoyed all of the above, unfortunately I am watching one of my six dogs now with a busted leg and this brew makes the warm, sunny day spent inside a bit better. But the beer has a very good way of hiding the ABV and the flavor characteristics give it a reason to go back. Looking forward to seeing how these hold up in the cellar and how they taste passed the four year mark.) Cheers!

GDBEERMAN, Jun 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

HopsMatt, Apr 16, 2013

hopswap1, Nov 10, 2012
4.58/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 bottle. 2012 vintage. Bottled on 9/20/2012. Served in a snifter

Appearance: Pours pitch black with less than a finger of a tan head that dissipates quickly to a thin collar. Body is completely opaque. Lots of alcohol legs sticking to the glass.

Smell: Bourbon, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, coconut, wood, and some dark fruit. Smells amazing.

Taste: Chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon, butterscotch, caramel, toffee, vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, viscous mouthfeel. Carbonation on the lower end of medium. Noticeable alcohol warmth after the finish, but goes down stupidly smooth for 15%.

Overall: World class stuff. I love this beer

Jonada, Apr 26, 2013

davegray, Dec 06, 2013

bradfordjohnson, Sep 05, 2012

-NESTO-, Sep 01, 2013

Evarigan, Dec 01, 2013
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.