Join our email list →

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,638
Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,773 | Hads: 11,364
3.09/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours black with a head that didn't show up until an aggresive pour was finished. The head then was quickly gone.

Smell is very strong with bourbon and chocolate.

Tastes like a chocolate covered cherry soaked in liquor. Mouthfeel is very thick and chewy, like drinking syrup. Drinkability is ok for one beer, but there is no way in hell I could have more than one of these, not only because of the ABV, but the thickness is too much.

Big Boozie Syrup!

3.68/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As advertised, there is more taste in one sip of this than in a case of regular beer. Of course, that is not always the best thing, as there can be too much taste.
Poured a very dark brown, almost no head, into a tulip glass,
The bourbon odor jumps out at you, and there was the hint of vanilla in there as well
Tasted about the same, a lot. There was a lot of flavor in every sip, smooth, definitely a slow sipping beer, one for the night will do you.
Im sure this would be an excellent beer with age.

2.42/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

If you like your beer like your soy sauce, then this is the stout for you. It definitely smells better than it tastes. A very unique smell. The aroma does give off a slight bourbon, almost liqueur-like quality. I wanted to taste the bourbon, but all I was getting was soy sauce. A couple of friends who tried it agreed as well. It would certainly be great to cook with. Even sipping it, I just could not appreciate the "complex" flavors.

The mouthfeel was decent, not overwhelmingly thick or oily. Drinkability was low on the scale, even taking into account the high abv %. Couldn't taste much alcohol actually, just sweet- pungent-acidic-vinegary-soy sauce. There were mild bourbon notes to be fair. This review probably won't go over very well, but it is my honest opinion. This is my first bourbon barrel-aged stout, but I have tried a few imperial stouts. I also should say that I do enjoy bourbon, so this is not a biased review.

4.61/5  rDev +2.4%

I guess 2 years makes a tradition. For the second straight year, I'm kicking the new year off with a bourbon-aged stout. Not a bad tradition to start, really. In honor of the outdoor hockey in Chicago today, I'm drinking a beer from the same city.

2007 vintage

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Delirium tulip a deep inky black with almost no head at all. A faint deep cocoa brown collar forms but the remainder of the beer's surface is wholly black and still.

SMELL: Bourbon certainly dominates, but it's backed up by tons of flavor and complexity. On the beer side, there's quite a bit of toffee, fig, and dark fruits along with a slightly smaller amount of dark chocolate. On the bourbon barrel side, it's fairly woody with a really nice vanilla element trying to squeak through.

TASTE: If it could even be possible, the bourbon taste is even bigger than the aroma. It fits perfectly into a nutty, extremely coffee-heavy stout. A light bass note of alcohol heat lasts all the way through with the bourbon, some chocolate, coffee, and nuttiness coming and going before finally settling on heavy coffee in the finish.

MOUTHFEEL: A thick, oily body has a decent slickness to it. Carbonation is understandably low, but might be a little too much so.

DRINKABILITY: It's astounding that this is 13% ABV because you can tell at all. Goes way to easy for a beer of this size. Phenomenal.

Wow. What a treat. There's not too many beers I can't buy here in PA, but it's absolutely a shame that this is one of them. I'll be doing whatever I can to find some more of this.

2.35/5  rDev -47.8%

The aroma of alcohol/whiskey was dominant. Taste was overwhelmed by flavor of bourbon/alcohol. I am a big fan of bourbon, but this did not work for me in this beer. While the flavors of a stout were present, I felt that they were overwhelmed by the bourbon/alcohol taste. I just kept thinking "diesel fuel" the whole time I drank the beer.

**Readers Note - I drank this simultaneously with an Expedition Stout, which may have tainted my review.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Wow! Just wow! 2008 Bottle

The 100 days in Oak Bourban barrels really brought out the bourban in this beer. If you're looking for bourban that masks as a low carbonation beer, this is it. Can't wait to try this aged.

A- Poors a rich dark black with brown tones, little to no head, and very low carbonation. Not a bad thing for a bourban BA beer. Typical of style.

S- Bourbon, vanilla

T- Bourbon, oak

M- Thick and creamy

D- The drinkability on this is low, but for this style, I wouldn't say drinkability is really something you can strive for. 1 is enough.

O- I LOVE this style of beer, high ABV, tastes like the barrel it was aged in. It's something you have to try. It's one of those sipping beers. You would not like this if you're not into hard liquor. If I had to say anything negative. The bourban is almost too much. It's hard to get any stout characterstics if the bourban is too over powering. This one is almost too overpowering. I still like it though. Maybe that's just me.

2.83/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It has a dark brown color to it (Almost black). When poured into a large mouth glass it had a small creamy head. It had a strong aroma of bourbon with a hint of fruity sweetness. It had a sweet alcohol taste with lots of bourbon flavor. It didn't have the stout taste I was looking for. I prefer the taste of beer over the taste of bourbon. This 13% abv stout is definetly for the serious beer drinker.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

I like bourbon, I like stout, so this one should be great.

2008 bottle.

Smell: lots of vanilla, toffee, chocolate, dried fruits, nuts.

Taste: round, creamy and malty, dark chocolate and toffee, notes of coffee, wonderful notes of bourbon (almonds, vanilla, nuts, some viola (?)), burnt sugar. This brew is very sweet, but it works out sursprisingly well; you can feel the ABV as well, but this goes along great with the whiskey notes of this beer.

Mouthfeel is creamy and oily, nice.

Overall: well, this is one exceptional and complex beer. Certainly one of the best and most interesting stouts Ive ever tried. Worth every penny, or "öre" as we say in Sweden. Skål!

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

Acquired this 07 gem in a trade.

Poured into my trusty dfh snifter. Oil slick black, no head to speak of.

Smells of sweet alcohol and bourbon. vanilla and cherry.

Beautiful burnt malt flavor up front quickly gives way to bourbon sweetness and alcohol, but just the right amount. This is the definition "warming" alcohol. Exceptional balance and complexity.

Mouthfeel is complex and and rich but boozy and sweet. tons of bourbon notes remain long after swallowed.

Ive never met an imperial stout thats drinkable and at 13%, this one is no exception. I know that as a style its not supposed to be drinkable, but the booze and the bourbon make this one even less so.

This beer will enter a pantheon in my mind of "beers that have exceptional bourbon flavor". its just enough bourbon flavors for this bourbon fan, but not over the top (ie. founders backwoods bastard)

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Pours very dark brown with about an 1/8" head that stuck around. Aroma heavy on the bourbon (but I love that kind of thing), with a bit of wood char, some dried dark fruit, and a spoonful of caramel. Flavor more of the same: lots of bourbon, vanilla, caramel, chocolate, coffee, toffee, and all the rest of that goodness. This is an incredible beer, and if you can get your hands on it, do so without hesitation.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

A-This is 5000 mile motor oil!!!!

S- I love bourbon so this is a treat this beer smells like kentucky bourbon with a touch of cream and vanilla

T- Bourbon with tons of vanilla and oak, this is one creamy brew.

M- Thick and absolutley coats your mouth.

D- This is a strong brew and one is probably enough.

Overallthis is an excellent imperial stout that is excess in every way.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

Forewarned is forearmed. I heard there was a lot going on in this Chicago brew, but ... Damn.

This is one beer that I could be happy with just smelling all evening. Upon first inky black pour, this Goose Island creation throws hints of licorice, caramel, coffee, and plenty of bourbon high notes. The more you smell this concoction, the more complex it becomes.

"Whenever you have that caramel/licorice thing going on, you of course have molasses," Talkin' Bob said, sticking his nose back into the pint glass.

As the Bourbon County Stout warms, its nose completely changes. There's a mellowing of fragrances as vanilla notes move to the front, along with rumors of a particularly smoky house fire.

True to its name, this stout has a beautiful bourbon finish, again with a subtle coffee, or perhaps dark roasted malt, taste on the back of the tongue. This is definitely a sipper, as you'll want to stop and consider every drop; in short, a beer that can truly be called a work of art.

I don't know where Bourbon County is, but I want to live there.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm seriously hoping this is named after Bourbon County, Kentucky. I have many great friends from BC, and have a few memories of it as well.

Pours a black color with virtually no head and left no lacing behind. Nice dark aroma of charred malts, burnt caramel, smoke, woodiness, light vanilla, but not much in the way of bourbon. A sip... WOW. This thing is thick and creamy. Chocolate flavors come up first, followed by light vanilla, nice but light bourbon flavor, some caramel and butterscotch. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy but a little powdery on the finish, warming alcohol, and almost no carbonation. Booze is certainly noticeable, but very well integrated for such a high amount. Honestly, I thought the bourbon was a little subdued, especially when compared to something like KBS. This is a very good impy stout, but it's not great. I have three more of these that have a nice rest in the cold basement for years to come. This one definitely needs to sit. Some age will do wonders for it.

A: 4 S: 4 T: 4.5 M: 4 D: 3

EDIT:

Over a year later and have revisted the aged bottles of the 08 and have had a few 09's fresh and then again tonight, (5/16/10)

I have to up my scores on this one. The 09 I'm drinking is truly a fabulous beer. Dark chocolate covered caramel soaked in bourbon deliciousness. Roast is outstanding. Can't get enough of the thick, creamy caramel and chocolate goodness. Really love this beer and the bourbon seems a bit stronger than the 08, even with several months of age on it. Much thicker and chewier than I remember.

A note to myself: This is great beer. Do not drink the ones you have left for some time to come. Wait until at least 2012 on your next bottle!

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh hell, I need more of these to survive daily life. Sampled this in a neat, Michelob Ultra Amber tulip glass. Might need to acid erase the name from it next time.

A: Dark as Coke, very little head. Very cool watching the foam, on the glass, at beer level, turn from tan, to black as you set th glass down.

S: Bourbon dominates. Backed up by dark fruits. Just plain soothing to smell.

T: Obvious bourbon. Like white/vanilla chocolate, filled with bourbon. Very sweet.

M: Sticky, coats everything. Lick you lips after a drink, and you can feel the stickyness. Smooth, creamy. Great.

D: Well, been awhile since I got the mid-chest, alcohol burn from a beer. Sitting here, taking notes to review, while sipping this much like a bottle of decent craft-bourbon. At 13%, this will put your lights out, quick.

Beers like this, always restore my faith in the "craft" part, of craft beer. A true "craftsman" created this beer. Men Like Greg from GI, and Dan, from New Glarus, are true craftsman.

Fine job, Greg.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Did an 06/07/08 Vertical on Christmas. First time having any of these vintages for me. Thanks to GbvDave for the trade! All three- Awesome!

All of them poured dead black with no head, but produced a very dark tan ring upon swirling.

The aroma on all of them was initially bourbon, with caramel and vanilla notes. Behind that was a booziness that couldn't be missed. Some of them seemed to produce more roasted notes than others, specifically the 08. The strongest bourbon aroma was on the 07.

The 07 seemed to have the most syrupy-bourbon taste which was almost overpowering. The 08 was initially full of roasted malt flavor but then came in the bourbon strong with a slight alcohol burn but somewhat covered up by the big vanilla and caramel notes. The 06 was my favorite and really benefitted from the age- it was very balanced with all the roasted flavors in equilibrium with the bourbon notes. The mouthfeel was just thick enough, and for some the sweetness of the bourbon and abundance of malt may be too much, but it was just about at my threshold.

Obviously all of these were sippers but the drinkability was as good as could be expected with a 13% ABV beer. I am glad I got a few more of these to have over the holidays, and I can't wait to see how the 08 develops over the course of a year or two.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz. poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: Motor oil black, completely opaque, with just a ring around the glass no head.

Smell: Heavenly. Whiskey, chocolate, strong vanilla bean, dark cherries and figs.

Taste: Like a chocolate candy bar melted into a glass of bourbon, might sound gross but you have to try this brew. Other flavors include strong vanilla and very slight coffee.

Mouthfeel: Thick as thick can be. Coats your mouth, throat, stomach, and I have to imagine your intestines too. Carbonation is perfect for the style.

Drinkability: As delicious as it is it would be difficult to have more than just this one bottle. Perfect night cap.

Overall: One of the best beers I have ever tried. This beer is great, period. No matter who you are you should try this beer at least for the experience. I loved last years (have one in the cellar) and I love this years. I will be stocking up on this gem.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

Christmas Day Side-by-Side Comparison of the 2006 and 2008 Bourbon County Stout from the bottles.

A: Both have a beautiful dark black with mahogany color. Very thin cream on the sides. Looks like a glass of watered down molasses.

S: The '08 smells fantastic; rich, strong smells of malts, carmel, and bourbon. Hints of spices, cloves and allspice. The '06 has a more pungent alcohol scent with a much more mild smell of malts, carmels, molasses, and maple syrup.

T: The '08 burst with flavors on the first drink. First I had malt flavors. Then it hit me with carmel, bourbon, cinnamon, brown sugar, and strong coffee. Next the '06, has a very strong alcohol taste. Then you get a nice carmel coffee flavor that is rounded out with sweet sugary malts.

M: The '08 was a nice and thick full-bodied feel, wonderful. I like a nice thick stout, makes me lick my teeth after drinking! The '06 is much thicker and more full-bodied than the '08. Really makes you scrape it out of your mouth and down your throat. Fantastic!

D: The '08 is just great, really easy to drink. Could last you a long time. Perfect for Christmas / a special day when you want to savor and enjoy every sip of your beverage. Nice and relaxing after a long day with innumerable nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, and parents! The '06 isn't as easy to drink as the '08. Overall I prefer the '08, a little bit smoother, more rounded-out in flavors. The really strong alcohol / bourbon taste of the '06 is a bit overpowering to truely enjoy this beer as I believe it should be, one sip at a time.

3.96/5  rDev -12%

WOW!
Black!
Rich! Syrupy, Thick, Dark brown thin head.

strong licorice flavour up front. Of course Bourbon flavor's. Not quite like anything I've had that i remember. Some vanilla, Carmel.

This stuff is something else. Thanks Steve for bringing up a bottle from great Hollingshead! for Christmas!

Great Pre Christmas Dinner snifter sipper.
nice.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

2008 bottle consumed on Christmas Day.

A: Pours pure black with a meager mocha-hued head.

S: Oak, bourbon, burnt toffee. Smells like extreme beer with sugary roasted candies.

T: One sip of this beer has as much flavor as an entire case of "regular" beer (yes, I stole that off of the bottle). Warming bourbon flavors with oak and delicious hard candies. Never cloying, with some rich breadiness to be had in it as well. The beauty of this beer is that it doesn't shy away or cover up its massive 13% ABV; it revels in it and balances it with a mixture of flavors that makes me savor each and every excellent drop.

M: Appropriately full bodied, but shies away from being too milkshakey. Low carbonation adds to my ability to truly savor every mouthfull.

D: I have been savoring this bottle for hours and every sip is just as good as the first one. It is massive, but I relish this opportunity to have a full bottle to myself. No, you won't drink a four-pack of this stuff in a night, but you wouldn't drink a full bottle of the finest bourbon in a sitting either. This beer perfects what it sets out to do.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

bottle into snifter.

Pours dark black, very thin head lasts for just a few seconds. No lacing.

Strong bourbon up front. A bit of malty sweetness. Not much else, but has long legs.

Sweet malty, bourbon, booze. Really sweet and boozy. Delicious but not subtle in any way.

Very creamy, intense alcohol warming. Even some uncomfortable buring in the back of my throat. I'd have rated it higher if not for that. Feels luxurious aside from the burn.

As delicioius as this is, sharing a 12oz was plenty for one sitting (including other beers). This is the definition of sip, savor and share. Again, absoutely delicious, but extremely bold and boozy.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to Bluemoonswoon for supplying this one (2008 batch)

A - Dark, dark, darkness. I think I see a hint of brown? A 1/4" of chocolate head rises leaving a small web.

S - A massive mix of scents. Bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol. Nothing stabs through the mix, the mesh well.

T - This is the fun part. Once again, a great balance of flavors; smoke, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, oak, and that alcohol tinge. It leaves a wonderful bitter chocolate taste lingering.

M - Thick, oily, and low carbonation.

D - Being as it's 13%, the drinkability is decent. I definitely took mine slow.

I'm glad to have 3 more of the suckers to cellar away, and check up on.

1.96/5  rDev -56.4%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle, 2007. Pours black with a small dark tan/red head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of bourbon. Flavor of bourbon, alcohol sweetness. I can tell that this is a better bourbon barrel aged beer than a lot of other BBA beers, but I can't actually taste any of the underlying stout. I suppose it's less bourbony than other beers, but it is definitely dominated by the bourbon. And I don't want my beer to taste like bourbon, I want it to taste like beer. Also the 13% makes it extremely difficult to drink. Suffice it to say, I didn't care for this bourbon bomb.
4/3/4/2/10 (2.3/5)

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Boozy, Bourbony, Slick and outright fun to drink. I've been lucky enough to have this 3 years in a row now and it has never let me down. There is chocalote, roasted malts that remind me of one of mom's chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, and that unbelievable smell of bourbon.

This is one of my favorite beers and everyone should try it once. It's big, bold and fun to drink... looking forward to aging the remaining 3

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottled 10-11-07. Enjoyed in my wide-mouthed, stemmed Abbaye du Val-Dieu chalice at a perfect cellar temp. of 53F.

Pours as black as night with a slim 1/4" cappuccino colored head that diminishes to a khaki halo. Not a mere sliver of light can penetrate this opaque menace.

The nose is a bundled, balanced barrage of bourbon, vanilla, dark roasted malts, crème fresh, charred figs & cherries, molten caramel and a smidgen of alcohol burn.

The flavor that greets my pallet right out of the gate is superbly roasted dark malts and a boisterous butcher's rub by 'grandfather' bourbon and his vanilla encompassed cigar-smoking gruff entourage. As I'm offered a seat at this old man's gathering of poker and trash talking, I can't help but to be engulfed by the hearty, yet perfectly balanced smoky, charred wood and booze-soaked dark fruits. I call the first round of betting as all but one of the players fold. It's just the grandfather and me, staring, waiting to get read. Knowing I've got something great in my hand, reveling in the burnt molasses and bitter dark baker's chocolate, I go all in. Taking on more gulp of this Chicago delight, my tongue is immersed in a black blanket of malty and boozy goodness. The grandfather shows his hand and I show mine. Never play poker at the grandfather's table kids, unless you want to learn a lesson. I definitively learned mine. And it was a very fine lesson at that.

Mouthfeel is silky and oily, with a nice bitter edge and an infinitely flavorful finish. Full bodied yet somewhat gentle.

Drinkability is good. If you've got the cash and the patience to cellar a few, go for it.

Overall an exquisite bourbon barrel aged stout that will most definitely take your tongue for the ride of its life. A prime example of a style that's starting to show weaker substitutes by way of jumping on the bandwagon. Park you butt for a half hour or so and enjoy a bottle of this nocturnal nectar. Spectacular stuff.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Remarkable, one of the finest malted beverages obtainable. The aroma is of bourbon, chocolate, smoke, wood, toffee . . almost too many to count. Super dark brown and some lace on the pour. Not coal black like Irish dry stout. First taste, it was chilled but the flavors just explode . . as it warms the palette widens to areas unknown by any beverage measure, not just beer. Alcohol can be tasted and felt on the tongue, very evident strength.

A true sipping brew, you must savor each taste of this beverage. The flavor of bourbon blends nicely with the malt - again, so many flavors - coffee, sweet, chocolate, smoky complexity.

I'm lucky to have been to Goose Island several times, one of my favorite brewpubs. I had this stout there about ten years ago, served in a snifter . . to have this available in bottles now is a real treat. Grab it while you can or you'll have to go to Chicago.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.