Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,519
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,590 | Hads: 10,608
4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

A- No real head to speak of, but the huge black thick 10w-30 body made up for it. Once swirled, A huge golden coating clings to the sides of the glass and slowly recedes. This baby is thick.

S- Huge fresh flower component, cherry, tobacco, touch of bourbon.

T- Barleywine-like, syrupy sweetness. Crazy sweetness that maybe a bit of aging would take care of. Big chocolate and caramel.

M- No carb, but great.

D- 11%, but a bit to sweet. I am glad I split the bottle with a buddy because I just wouldn't be able to finish one of these, and maybe not even half of it myself.

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

12 ounce pour into a chalice. Bottle from 2007.

A - Black and thick. Very little head, quickly settled to no head.

S - Coffee and bourbon aroma. Wife said it smelt like Kahlua.

T - Bourbon taste mostly overpowers everything else, but I still get a hint of coffee. After taste lingers a while.

M - creamy and smooth. Coats the mouth.

D - This one's a sipper and at 13%, one's my limit.

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz bottle from 2006 batch.

A: Black, thick and viscous. This is the way any good imperial stout should look, in my opinion.

S: Slight coffee like aroma, with hints of bourbon and oak. Hops have really subsided over the years.

T: Exceptional flavor. Taste is slight bourbon, chocolat, toffee, and the dark malts are really standing out. Everything is nice and balanced. I have tried this when it was fresh, but it was much harsher.

M: Silky smooth, thick, creamy, and just perfect.

D: This was surprisingly easy to drink. Now that it has some age, the flavors are balanced out and it is a wonderful beer.

Thanks to John at Goebel Liquor for selling me this. I want more!!!:)

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle courtesy of numerous generous traders poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with very little head and mahogany hints when held up to light.

S: The aroma certainly doesn't betray the name as the bourbon makes itself known in the aroma with a definite alcohol burn in the nose. Some malt and smoke in the smell as well with a faint hint of sweetness from caramel and chocolate. It's really about the bourbon here.

T: Initial sweet malt flavor with caramel, vanilla and chocolate is quickly blown away by a massive bourbon blast. The finish is slightly bitter with coffee and smoked wood and leaves a serious aftertaste that lingers for a while.

M: Despite the alcohol presence, the mouthfeel is extremely creamy and smooth with a nice carbonation complement.

D: This beer has too much booze to be seriously drinkable, though the mouthfeel belies the bourbon dominance. I like this one but the bourbon is just a bit overpowering for my liking (and I'm a big bourbon fan).

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

2007 edition as an extra from lightindarkness

Pours black for sure into a Michael Jackson snifter. Extra thick and syrupy and no head at all. Mostly just whiskey in nose. Vanilla, oak and a coconut type smell. No mistaking what you are drinking with this one. Instantly warming almost a burn. Whiskey up front and mid-palate. Finish finally brings the stout into play with the roasty flavors. Not at all for people that do not get along with whiskies and the tastes. Full bodied to say the least with a sticky mouthfeel. Drinkability would have me drink just one of these per night.

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz bottle into a snifter. 2007 release.

Pours black as an oil slick with a 1/2 finger of burnt mocha colored head. This eventually fizzles out into a still, dead looking black surface that reminds of the lifeless eyes of a Great White shark. Lacing is relegated to a spotty smattering at first and then eventually a fantastic looking oily brown residue that coats the side of the glass. The aroma is OMG! huge bourbon notes straight up my nose and other places.. Aaaaargh! I've never had a beer burn my eyeballs before! In all seriousness, the bourbon notes do absolutely dominate the nose but somehow I can still pick up some of the Stout notes, including chocolate, smoke, roast, and char.

The taste is just as boozy with bourbon notes as the aroma and it's no wonder that I put it in a snifter. Overpowering notes of oak and vanilla mingle with the molassass, roasted malts, chocolate, espresso, smoke, and soy sauce character of the Stout. There's a ton in there but it's all just a bit unbalanced towards the bourbon side right now. The mouthfeel is right up there with the deepest for me (Dark Lord & Expedition)and is just absolutely thick and chewy as can be. That 13% is present but gives off more warmth than it does heat and combines with the bourbon notes to finish things with a bit of a hot punch.

Wow! This is just a beast of a beer in every capacity. Huge bourbon? Huge Stout flavors? Huge alcohol? Check! Check! and Check! My only gripe with this beer is that right now, the bourbon overrides some of those wonderful Stout characteristics a little too much. I'm most definitley looking forward to aging a bottle of this for a year and revistiing it again.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Jet black with a slim, creamy, dark tan lid.

One sniff is all I need to know that if this beer's flavor can match up with it's nose, it surely must be my favorite stout of all time. Inhaling deep, my nostrils fill with sweet dark chocolate, molasses, and caramel; complimented by fresh ground black coffee, vanilla oak barrels, smoke, and bourbon spice. Absolutely aromazing.

The flavor is everything it should be and more. Sweet melted dark chocolate with dark fruits, molasses, caramel, toffee, and red apples. Next comes dark, roasted, black coffee, sweet smoke and vanilla, and woody oak barrels with bourbon and spice. Very, very nice. Body is full as can be and mouthfeel is milkshake creamy and smooth.

Absolutely OUTSTANDING!! Of all the imperial stout's I've tried, this is the best. Simply dynamite on all levels.

2.89/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay glass. 05/12/08. 2007 version, bottled on 10/12/07.

Pours nearly pitch black with hints of ruby around the edges. Almost no head at all, just a thin layer of brown head that quickly disappeared. Aromas of bourbon, sweet vanilla and caramel, and roasted malts.

The taste is very complex and interesting. There is a heavy bourbon flavor, as well as vanilla and caramel, chocolate, molasses, roasted malt, and oak. Some bitter roasted coffee and dark chocolate in the end. and of course there's the alcohol (13% ABV) taste. There's only one part that I REALLY don't like. There's a massive sickly sweet flavor to it. It's almost disgusting. If it weren't so darn sweet it would be amazing. So the taste rating is hard to decide: on one hand I think there is a nice mix of flavors, while on the other hand the sweetness is way too sick and overpowering.

Mouthfeel is alright. The carbonation is very low, so it feels kinda flat, thick, and sticky. Drinkability for me is low. The sweetness, it kills me. That and the high ABV. Definitely a sipper, and no way I could drink more than one... well, if I can even get through this one.

I can't see how this beer gets the high ratings. Very overrated in my opinion. Try it if you must though.

4.69/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to Jay23 for this one
2007 Bottle poured into a sniffer produced a tan colored head that turns to a nice ring around the glass. All this on top of a jet black body

Aromas of vanilla roasted malts, bourbon, and a slight oak note as well

Flavors are bourbon, sweet roasted malts, vanilla caramel and a hint of black licorice. Great flavors almost no bitters but the alcohol heat keeps the sweetness in check. Sips extremely well, smooth is a good word for it thick and oily in the mouth

Again drinkable would not be the word I would associate with this one, sipping is a must .one of the ultimate desert beers I have had so far. A great night cap and should be enjoyed as such

4.69/5  rDev +4.5%

2007 bottle compliments of lightindarkness, poured into a an oversized goblet.

A: Pours like thin motor oil, the darkest of browns -- just a shade away from black -- with a millimeter of light chocolate color head that disappears before you can take the first sip, leaving only a ring, and a faint swirl in the center, of the glass.

S: Boy, can I recognize the aroma of this brew any day. Bourbon, vanilla, oak, and bittersweet chocolate all rolled into one voluptuous scent

T: Oh man, sweet malted chocolates up front, followed by a rush of vanilla and then an oaky bourbon alcoholic finish. This isn't your grandmas traditional stout, that's for sure. But it's f**&ing fantastic!!

M: Smooth, but oily. It's thick, but not DL or Ten Fidy thick. Full bodied, nonetheless. Real mild but tinglingly carbonation, especially on the finish.

D: This is up there in my top 5 brews. Has been since I first tried it, and don't see it dropping out anytime soon. Due to its rarity in my area, I've never put back more than one in a sitting, and don't recommend anyone else take up the challenge at 13%ABV.

I must admit, however, that I recently tasted a one-year aged 2006 (when it was still 11%ABV) and i found that one to be even more desirable. A good one to roll one up w/ imho =P

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

Received in my first-ever trade! Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for this one!!!

Pours black, with just the faintest hint of ruby around the edges. Little tiny tan head fades almost completely, but hangs around the edge of the glass. The smell is unreal. Vanilla, spicy oak, alcohol....almost eye-watering. The vanilla bean taste is just massive in this beer. There's some chocolate on the back end of this, too. This is just spicy, vanilla bourbon heaven. Incredible chewy mouthfeel, lingering spiciness on the tongue....it's fair to say I'm losing my mind here. Sometimes I think about giving up on the "big beers", and drinking pale ales every day. Then I try something like this, and realize how mind-bending some beers can be. This is outstanding!!!

Small capped bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 batch.

Very dark, with a rare, faint reddish brown highlight, and a minimal tan head with no retention or lacing.
Aroma is bourbon, bourbon, a bit more bourbon and a few hints of roasted malts and caramel.
Full bodied, with minimal perceptible carbonation, its taste is also dominated by bourbon, making it a sipper. The heavily malted taste adds some sweetness with some chocolate and caramel notes that if are not enough to balance it, can keep it interesting.
Very good beer if you like bourbons, otherwise this is not exactly balanced. It will probably improve with aging.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

It's been a while since I've treated myself to this wonderful beer. 2007 Batch.

Pours a thick black with a small tan head that basically dies.

Smells of sweet vanilla bourbon. Notes of chocolate with only slight bits of roast come in. Lovely.

The taste? Oh, the taste. There is a ton going on here. The rich chocolates back there meld perfectly with the sweet vanilla bourbon flavors. Dark fruits come out just slightly, and there are faint hints of coffee in the background. The bourbon is pleasantly pleasing and pleasantly not sharp. Touches of alcohol nicely balance things and provide a great warmth. This is still one of the absolute best bourbon imperial stouts I have ever had. Want to try a perfectly crafted vanilla-y bourbon RIS? Try this.

The mouthfeel here is deliciously creamy and rich, touches on cloying, but thankfully backs away. Thick & chewy? Why yes. Nice.

Drinkability, all things considered, is very good.

Highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

Pour is thick, pitch black with almost no head and very thin lacing. Scent is huge with oak, bourbon, smoke, molasses, maple and sweet chocolate. Taste initially of bourbon, oak, smoke and chocolate mellowing into a coffee bean flavor with more chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Drinkability is very high, not that is needs to be, and should be enjoyed to its fullest extent.

2007 bottle reviewed. I first had this beer when it was released, and the flavor has changed quite a bit. I have no notes of my first tasting, but the biggest change is the bourbon flavor balance. I was hooked from the very first sip I took, and even after the flavor has changed this much I still can't get enough.

With some warmth alcohol becomes prevalent, and bourbon flavor becomes more pronounced. A divine brew at any temperature, and an absolute must buy.

2006 Bottle review:

Bottled July 14, 2006, enjoyed July 14, 2008.

Pours black with little carbonation and an extremely fine ring of lacing.

Scent is huge, lots of bourbon and dark fruits with plenty of oak and some alcohol making this one of the finest scents I have come across.

Taste is equally big, oak and bourbon up front developing further with the alcohol warming nicely. Some dark fruits and dry oak finish this one off exquisitely.

Mouthfeel is heavy and perfectly smooth with an excellent drinkability.

After 2 years this beer is ridiculous, alcohol is more apparent but makes it feel more like a bourbon that has been cut with a few drops of water. As a bourbon lover I have to say, this is one of the finest barrel aged beers I have ever had. I look forward to trying more vintages and future releases of this magnificent beer.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Finally got around to reviewing this beer even though I've had it a number of times now.

A: Poured into a Gouden Carolus mini tasting glass, medium pour. Pitch black with ruby brown highlights around the edges. Attractive whitish head spins in the center while a dark tan foam clings to the side of the glass.

S: Big bourbon aroma with malty chocolate. So powerful it seemed to overpower everything I could. It doesn't get much better than this.

T: A VERY well balanced combonation of bourbon, chocolate, espresso, and malts. So decedent and almost overwelming at times... not enough to make me stop drinking though.

M: This one is compared to KBS a lot and I think this is where this beer stands ahead of it. The mouthfeel and creamy and smooth, where KBS is a bit thin. The mouthfeel I get from this one keeps me interested all the way through. Spin it in your mouth and you'll know what I mean.

D: Wonderful night cap, but keep it at one. The 13% does hit you and the bourbon is a bit much. A 12oz serving is quite fine, but for what it is... Drinkability is excellent.

In my top three... definitely.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours blacker than a moonless night. A thin creamy colored head that fades lightly into a ring along the edge. Light carbonation cloud in the middle of the glass. Cloud fades over the course of the beer leaving only the ring that lasts throughout the entire beverage.

Smells of bourbon first then of sweet chocolate and molasses with a large follow up punch of bourbon. Brown sugar, vanilla and roasted oak. Faint hints of vanilla and cocoa. the smell seems to get sweeter as the beer warms and is drunken.

This beer oozes sweet chocolate, molasses, bourbon. There are still hints of a light vanilla. It has an overwhelming bourbon and bitter sweet chocolate taste. Lightly carbonated and leaves a tingly molasses/bourbon aftertaste. The chocolate flavors become increasingly bitter as the beer warms. A little too much of a bitter after taste as the beer reaches room temperature.

This beer feels the way it tastes. A little boozy, lightly carbonated and way way way to easy to drink. Very smooth for such a power house. Bubbles a little in the back of your throat as I drink the first glass.

At 13% I should be able to down these as easy is it goes down. This beer is the best of Bourbon meets a stout champion. I can't believe that I not only want another but, I'm sure after #2, I'll want a third. This beer is awesome! I raise my glass to the brewer's at Goose Island.

Na Sdaroviya!

2.41/5  rDev -46.3%

Bottled: 10/11/07

Last bottle in this Top 100 BIF box received from kmpitz2. I've been dreading this one for a bit(just not my style). My reviews were due in about a month ago, but Kevin has assured me I would still receive partial credit & be able to go on the senior trip come the end of the semester. Yay! :D

Into a Unibroue tulip this one goes. Nice & slow. The beer oozes out & collects quietly with just a whimper of activity right around the edge of the glass. A second pour to top it off yields a mushy bowl of Coco Crisps, but it doesn't last long. Black & boring, with hints of amber right at the rim.

Big eye-watering scents of charcoal, liquorice, cocoa powder, caramelized onions, teriyaki & bbq sauces. Your can almost smell some crispy pork fat sizzling somewhere in there too. The alcohol hides behind everything, but doesn't come at you raw. The fumes though, however salivating, give me quite a headache.

Moving on...

Heavy espresso flavor, charred marshmallows, bitter chocolate, wood, tobacco smoke, & hard on with the whiskey & leather shoes. Oh man, I can't do, I just can't. I'm such a puss. ... The body is completely flat & feels like light cream going down(& I can dig that). The whiskey, the wood, & the intense tannins just kill me though. Close to four ounces in & I need some air in the worst way. I have such a headache.

However good, however bad, it's just too much for a twelve ounce serving. The flavors are there, but the barrel flavors are just so concentrated & overdone, that it's way too much for me to sincerely enjoy. Maybe if it came in a two ounce nip aged half as long? Maybe some soft serve on the side?

This review took almost an hour in the making, & boy did I try. Quarter ounce sip after half lung whiff, I tried. It made me realize just how insane some of you out there really are. :P

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Originally bought some for a trade at DLD, but had some leftovers to enjoy for myself. I've taken a tip from Adam Avery (not directly), and that is to drink a beer at all temperatures...colder than suggested through warmer than suggested. I think it really gives you a good idea of what the beer really is, especially porters and stouts.

A-Beautiful brown, almost black color. No transparency what-so-ever. No head on a hard pour. Lace is non-existent as well.

S-Slight hint of vanilla and bourbon.

T-Also a slight hint of vanilla and bourbon, sweet stout flavor. Notes of chocolate.

M-Smooth start to finish. Maltiness left after each sip.

D-Could drink 1 or 100.

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Sampled on 4-27-08
Bottled on 10-12-07

Pours a very thick black, with just the slightest red peeking around the edges. No head, but clingy tan lacing.

Smell is lots of vanilla and oak, a little bourbon, complex and yet crisp at the same time.

Taste is big bourbon, vanilla and oak, with a huge alcohol kick. Definitely more bourbon than stout.

Mouthfeel is good, super slick with pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability is poor, the alcohol is just gigantic.

Overall, a good beer with serious attitude. If you want a bourbon-booze fest, this is your beer.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

2006 Bottle.

Appearance: Opaque mahogany with no head when poured into a Chimay chalice

Smell: From the moment the seal on the cap was broken, a bourbon aroma was dominant; gradually the complex flavor profile of vanilla, chocolate, and a hint of cherry became apparent.

Taste: Smokey with vanilla, chocolate, and a bit of cherry... the bourbon flavor is strong - more so than any other bourbon stout I've tried... and I like it. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, excellent.

Drinkability: An extremely good way to kick off an evening, but a little too thick and strong to repeat in one sitting. Like a steak, you can only enjoy one at a time.

Overall: An excellent beer. This is the standard to which I hold other bourbon barrel-aged stouts.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Opaque black in color. The nose shows off the bourbon followed by some dark chocolate, coffee and wood. In the mouth it is rich and dense continuing the flavors from the nose, thus the bourbon again shows itself as prominent. Right now the bourbon is a bit strong for my liking but everything else is balanced.

3.95/5  rDev -12%

1 finger deep chocolate tan head on about as agressive of a pour as I could manage (swirling included). Head left earlier than I wanted but with 13% abv it's about what I'd expect. Black body, no light shining through this sucker.

Bourbon alcohol is highly prominent, especially when agitated. When the beer settled a bit more I got dark chocolate malts, dark cherries, raisins, and a bit of deep roasted grains swirl underneath the bourbon charge. In short, if you like bourbon aged beers this smells like heaven to you.

Complexity is there before the bourbon blasts everything out of the water. The bottle says "one has more flavor than your average case of beer". I find this assessment accurate. Upfront I get smooth vanilla with a bit of coffee mixed in, both playing over a bed of this oaky roast flavor Enter bourbon that DOMINATES until it fades to pureed cherries and with slight notes of raisin. Bourbon checks back in for the finish with maybe a bit of hoppiness. A fun ride for the palate.

Pours thick and the body doesn't disappoint. About as heavy as they come with a bunch of carbonation to cut through it all.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
This beer is way too big for more than one on any occasion. Your tastebuds would retreat into your tongue and your stomach will churn in protest. The one you have will be thoroughly enjoyable if you really take the time to break down the beer, but God help those that try to session this.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

This is definitely one of my favorites. Makes motor oil look white. Pour hard for good head, but dont expect it to hang around. The nose is wonderful, lots of bourbon, cinnamony alchol notes. Also, raisiny, coffee, and vanilla notes released. At first flavors seem strong and over powering but after a few sips you can really enjoy this. Burnt malts, espresso,black licorice, vanilla beans, nuts, bitter chocolate, lots of bourbon, brown sugar and alcohol.
This beer is thick and full bodied and is a great sipper.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Obtained as a great surprise extra from a trade with kirok1999. Thanks again!

Poured from the bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter.

A-Pours a deep rich jet black with a nice quarter inch brown head which quickly dissipates leaving a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

S-Lots of the bourbon scent comes through, along with vanilla and a hint of chocolate. A little strong on the alochol but still very inviting.

T-Wonderful bourbon sweetness up front with chocolate and caramel following on. Moderately strong alcohol warmth in the finish.

M-Nice and smooth and a little oily on the tongue. The alcohol lingers.

D-I could drink these all night until I passed out. Despite the noticeable alcohol presence this is a very drinkable beer.

In a blind stout taste test with KBS, both my wife and I preferred the Founders brew. But both are outstanding. The KBS has a little less alcohol and a little more malt that puts it over the top. But if that's #1, this is a very close #1A.

4.21/5  rDev -6.2%

2007 Bottling.

A- Black as they come. When held to a light, and with some effort, some light can be seen through the edges. The head is small and brown and settles to some swirls on the top. This is a mean looking beer.

S- Lots of vanilla and bourbon with hints of chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. This smells like a beast.

T- There is a lot of bourbon flavors in here, but it is not overpowering. Pretty complex and things blend well. I can appreciate the effort, but there is just not something special that blows my mind.

M- A lot smoother than I was anticipating, considering the alcohol content.

D- For the alcohol content this is remarkably drinkable. Not outrageously rich, but makes for a good night cap after a long day.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.