Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 1,913
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Took me a couple of tries but I finally came around to this beer. Now one of my favorite bourbon beers. Definitely has the typical imp stout flavors, choc, coffee, roastedness, and certainly molasses in the aftertaste. Definitely one of the more bourbon-y stouts out there.

s1ckboy, May 28, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2%

I poured this imperial stout from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized snjifter. It poured an opaque black with virtually no head. A nice syrupy brew.

The nose is delightful with notes of bourbon and dark over ripened fruits.

The taste is deliciously sweet with maltiness, and chocolate covered cherries, oh...and don't forget the bourbon. It actually has a nice bourbon booziness that I found enjoyable.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a slight alcohol burn that as a whisky lover I did not find unpleasant in the least.

After a long day at work this was definately a nice way to start the weekend. Enjoy!!!

AnPiobaire, May 28, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

2009 vintage poured into a snifter. How the hell have I not reviewed this beer yet?

A - An aggressive pour yields a fairly significant deep mocha head with impressive retention; I wasn't expecting much of a head at all, let alone one that stuck around for more than 10 seconds. The beer itself is a deep jet black. Light tries to get through this, gets stuck, then is ultimately swallowed into the abyss. Lacing looks full and like paint, it barely falls at all.

S - Cherry, old wood, heaps of sweet bourbon peppered with vanilla, hints of chocolate and dark fruit.As soon as I uncapped the bottle, the smell started wafting from the bottle, but now that I have it in a glass, it isn't as big as it was minutes ago.

T - I'm a little mesmerized by the bourbon qualities because it is the dominant flavor, but is so subtle, so refined, so unintimidating that I cannot believe that how much this beer has changed from the drunken hot mess that this was 18 months ago. The bourbon is smooth, showcases vanilla, a touch of cherry, toffee, leather and tea. Roasted malt and milk chocolate works parallel to the bourbon flavor, adding another dimension of flavor to a beer that my tastebuds are already having an orgy with. I just burped and smells/tastes like a tootsie roll. I feel like I just died and went to bourbon county. I was debating between giving this a 4.5 or 5 because of a little dry/old wood and slight alcohol presence in the aftertaste, but I just cannot wait for the next sip and more tootsie roll burps.

M - This is thick without me feeling like I'm drinking expired milk (a favorite drink of mine) with a very lively carbonation that really helps it pop.

O - The 09 is doing really well and is on it's way to being a super duper fabulous beer. While the alcohol heat has mellowed very well, I'm still feeling it in a little in my lips and in the back of my throat, like a little reminder to not fuck with this beer. This beer is so good that I feel like I have to wait until I have an occasion to open one.

drewba, May 27, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -8.5%

This bottle was reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF #5 courtesy of johnbjaeger

Bottle #5 courtesy of johnbjaeger poured into my pint glass as instructed.
Sorry about the time off, its been non-stop but my plan is to rally over the holiday. I did get together with Hophead101 and we tore through bottle 1, and I'll add that tasty little surprise soon.

A - Pours an oily pitch black with no foam until the very end when a small layer of tan bubbles surface and just as quickly disappear. The screw top lid has me slightly worried. A quick swirl of the glass leaves a slowly dropping oil resin on the sides of the glass.

S - Lots of roasted malts, dark chocolate, toffee. I keep going back to it smelling it over and over. Its quite nice, semi boozy,

T - Wow, just loads of chocolate washes over me in waves of creamy goodness. There is a slight booziness that warms me on the inside, I'm sensing some plums or other dark fruit as well. I'm really liking this one. It definitely has the feel of a 10%+ beer that just leaves a bourbon flavor in my mouth

M - thick and oily like the gulf of mexico, there is very little carbonation but some sort of prickly sensation in the mouth.

D - This is way too drinkable for what I assume is a high ABV. Its full bodied but not overly thick. I'm sure we'll get snow soon the way the weather is going, and I'd love to have one of these when it comes.

So the big reveal…
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2007! I ashamedly have to admit I've never had one of these before and now am kicking myself for not doing so. Well on the hunt I go for more.

3.5/4/4.5/4/4

mikereaser, May 25, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Props to BarryMFBurton for trading this to me. 09 version. Popped the top and wow, big bourbon smell. Poured dark black with a nice fluffy quarter inch head. Massive amounts of chocolate taste at first, followed by malt, and when I swallow is when the bourbon just ran me over, which I loved. After that is when the coffee hit my pallet and lingered for a long long time. Awesome balance. Having the bourbon at the finish really lets the other flavors come out and be noticed in the beginning. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated, but not overdone. "Wow" is all I can say about this beer. I was blown away.

1Adam12, May 25, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Wow, I can’t believe I found Bourbon County Stout at a liquor store in late May. It was sort of hiding in the craft beer walk-in fridge at this place, though. Either way, I’m happy that the Rural Inn on Indianapolis’ east side had a four-pack left just for me. Even though I haven’t really been a huge fan of the Goose Island offerings I’ve had in the past, I’m excited to finally try Goose Island’s premiere brew. “BOTTLED ON: 11/12/09” is printed on the label, much to my approval. Cracking this open on the supposed date of the Rapture gives this one an even more special feeling, as well.

To the end of the world!

A: Pours a creamy, crude black. Its head, a dark brown, micro-bubbled film, quickly settles on top of the thickness that is the body. As I spin the glass, lacing appears, receding almost instantly in a unique way – a ring around the top of the body grows ever-thicker the more I move it around. Maybe it’s the age, or maybe it’s the ABV, but it’s different, and it has instantly piqued my interest.

S: Oh wow…a malty, chocolaty sweetness mixes with the inescapable scent of wood-aged liquor. There’s vanilla, sticky sweet caramel, and nutty goodness that, coupled with the roasted malts and fiery bourbon aromas, remind me of fresh-made s’mores around a campfire. Unbelievably pleasant. The alcohol isn’t overpowering at all.

T: My first thought after the introductory sip: "Mother of God, that is good." The alcohol glides over the palate, giving way to the most mellow malts I’ve had in a while, and a big, sugary vanilla flavor. After spicy and herbal notes appear, with some dehydrated fruits underneath, the body then rests comfortably on the smoky complexity that is wood-aging. The hops are almost overpowered, which is sad, because I love the naturally pleasing bitterness that comes from the Willamette variety. They still shine through, but in a subtle way. All that being said, though, there’s no getting past that slight tinge of overly-alcoholic cough syrup tastes that I felt in other GI booze bombs. I’m not going to say it’s ruining my experience, but it’s getting worse and worse with each passing sip (and as the beer warms, for that matter). It must be a brewery trait, because I’ve never experienced something like it anywhere else. Still, a complex and unmistakably enjoyable beer.

M: Wickedly smooth. The carb serves simply to give a texture to the peppery elements of the body. It keeps interest and expands the experience even further.

O: This is definitely a great beer – no doubt about that. Whether I’m going to seek it out again is still to be determined. It was one of those experiences where I loved it for one minute, and then I was just ok with it for another. I don’t think I liked it consistently enough to spend the money on it again. It has the fine elements that I expected out of a barreled-aged stout, but still had that artificial twang that I’ve come to expect from Goose Island. My next pursuit will probably be the BCBCS, which has a strong coffee flavor that I’m hoping will overpower the sad syrup notes that I didn’t like very much. All in all, though, Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout gives a strong impression of passionate brewing, even if the execution is somewhat poor in a few key areas.

BarryMFBurton, May 22, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +2%

A- Opaque black pour in a tulip glass, 1/2 finger khaki head doesn't stick around long, but leaves a beautifully sparse halo of creamy foam around the edges.

S- Less bourbon than I expected, plenty of chocolate and toasted malt. It seems to need a little more warming to open up with more fragrant coffee notes. Black forest cake dominates the nose, almost no alcohol interference.

T- A flare of alcohol opens up the palate before rich chocolate and silky malt flavirs rush in. Vanilla and caramelly bourbon round out the finish. There's really more oak flavour here than bourbon, which is welcome for people like myself who aren't too keen on the sharpness and burn of bourbon. As it warms, more dried fruit flavors come through, namely dates and a little bit of dried prune.

M- Silky smooth through and through. Shockingly drinkable, but the finish is so long that it almost forces one to take a little extra time between sips. This is no problem, however, as I want these 12 ounces to last as long as possible.

O- All around happy drinking from Goose Island. This is a disarmingly accessible offering for even the meekest of stout lovers, pending a reasonable tolerance for alcohol and some oaky resonance.

gigaknight, May 20, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We had a beertasting at Beerpirates place on sunday the 15th of may 2011. Jeffo, Claark13, Bierschenker, beerpirates and i drank a whole bunch of beers. Thanks for your hospitality Wim!

Poured in my Westvleteren tasting glass this beer looks a bit 'normal' (but it is not!).

Two years in the barrel the beer has no head at all. Bottle date 19 november 2010, number of the bottle 2160.

The carbonation is more feelable in the mouth than the vanilla version. A very well balanced beer.

Brabander, May 20, 2011

Review #1

10' Vintage. (6/5/11)

A: Very little carbonation for the newest vintage of the BCBS, with just a little bit of retention on the outer perimeter of the snifter. Jet black per usual.

S: Lots of bourbon in the nose still but also getting some oak and hints of nilla'. I can am also detecting the leather that people always talk about. I've not noticed it in the older vintages though.

T: Bourbon is the first taste but more flavors open as you get past it. Oak is very prominent and there is also an anise flavor in there. The bourbon hits again on the finish and warms as it goes down.

M: Thick with just the right amount of carbonation for the style.

O: Still pretty hot but definitely becoming better. This is my least favorite so far. Still a damn good beer.

09' Vintage. (5/19/11)

A: Beautifully black with a small khaki head retention. Good sticky lacing throughout the snifter I consumed it in.

S: Reeks of bourbon but in the most exceptional way. I don't think there are many better smelling beers out there. The Bourbon takes a back seat as it warms, this is where the oak and vanilla with some subtle hints of chocolate that come into play melting together wonderfully.

T: Very rich and filling with a welcomed warming in the chest from the alcohol. Everything one would expect and hope for from a barrel aged RIS. Flavor really develops from the fridge to room temp. I enjoy both of the flavors offered though, however it does open up quite a bit at room temp and the craftsmanship can truly be appreciated.

O: Overall this beer is phenomenal and one of the best beers I've ever had the chance to try. I prefer the Bourbon County Stout with age on it though.

08' Vintage:

A: Dark black with less carbonation than the 10 & 09'. There is a very small bubble ring on the outside of the glass but its struggling to stay alive.

S: I can still smell the Bourbon, vanilla and oak. A lot milder than the later two vintages though.

T: Shit, this may have been too long to wait. Its good but the bourbon has faded a lot. I can taste it but it just doesn't have that kick it once did. It is extremely smooth though and has some other good flavors e.g. oak and a bit of vanilla, some tannins. There is no anise present so that is good.

M: Thick and chewy, I love this beer even with a bit less bourbon flavor.

O: Its still fantastic but I am just not too excited about how it has aged. I know that I like BCS with about 1 -1.75 years on it. No more.

Alpar, May 19, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

I dont know why I ding the appearance. I mean what do I expect from a 13% alcohol bomb.

Super dark and absorbs all light. no head at all.

Aroma is the most amazing combination of bourbon, oak, and vanilla/ roast. I would be happy just sniffing this beer all day.

flavor is a bourbon heat bomb. A taste explosion. perfect amount of bourbon. Most other bourbon beers pale in comparison. Go big or go home. They went big!

overall this is the bourbon barrel stout I use to compare all others. My overall favorite stout.
A Two Hearted is a great chaser.

SteelersX, May 18, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 10/21/08.

(A)- Pours super thick and dark as night. Minimal to no head formation, just some dark brown bubbles. This is so thick, I wouldnt expect any foam anyways.

(S)- Rich & decadent! Semi-sweet coca, molasses, and caramelized brown sugar. An obvious bourbon-ish warmth & sweetness underneath. Still seriously potent even after almost a year in the bottle.

(T)- Seriously rich! Semi-sweet cocoa, molasses, and a light roasted brown sugar sweetness. A light to medium boozy warmth as it goes down, but is fitting for something like this.

(M)- Dense, yet rather smooth going down besides the alcohol warmth that reminds you what you are dealing with! Good carbonation level with a surprising balance of everything. Potent, rich, sweet, and ever so slightly bitter; but it all fits together to create something truly dynamic and complex. This separates the boys from the men. ** Having had this vintage older really smooths this beast out!**

(D)- A fantastic stout that is meant to be aged. Even with a year on this one, it still has a serious backbone! Great now, but will only get better over time. One of these will seriously kick your ass though, but it just tastes so good! Cannot wait to try one at 5 years old.
**Updated my score on a few notes. Having recently had another bottle from 2008 with further aging on it has blown my mind. If you have 2008 bottles I think this has really peaked currently. This recent bottle that was opened was the best example and year of this brew I have ever had!**

sweemzander, May 18, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.2%

2009 poured in to a brandy snifter.
A- Poured Jet black with small tan head, that dissipates quickly but hangs around the edge. No lacing.

S- Smells of chocolate, vinilla, and alcohol. A beautiful combination!

T- Very sweet, some bourbon, not too much. I get the alcohol burn going down, but, suprised by the 13% ABV. Very smooth!

M- Very rich! Thick! Can realy tast the bourbon now.

O- Overall this is a fantastic brew. I dont even want to drink my other bottles, I just want to put a fancy black dress on it and wisper sweet nothings in its ear... then put it on the corner to make me some money! Very Tasty!

kansascitytrader, May 18, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz bottle poured into cervoise. 2010 vintage

A - Pours a dark black and with a slightly vigorous pour produces a very small, brown head. Slick to no lacing.

S - Chocolate, vanilla, oak, alcohol, plums, peppercorn

T - Incredibly boozy, which in my book, means delicious! Lots of top quality bourbon in this. Big notes of vanilla, molasses, wood, and chocolate. Minor dark fruits and I lost the pepper from the nose. Love the bourbon!

M - Slightly hot from the alcohol, could use a few more years. I will be opening an 07 shortly to compare. Heavy, heavy!

O - Fantastic base beer to start. Love this stuff. Always will be looking for more!

OakedCanuck, May 16, 2011

My most wanted beer, thanks to rtepiak!

12 oz bottle, 2010 batch.

A: Like most people have said, the darkest beer I've ever seen. Looks like it's filtered, head is extremely minimal with only a minuscule ring of foam staying. No lacing, no retention.

S: This is what I expected from a 13% ABV b-bal american imperial stout. There is a lot of bourbon-y notes with lots of vanilla, booze, oak. Also, there is a lot of dark chocolate, coffee, molasses, big licorice, marshmallows. Light raisins, dates and dried figs.

T: Taste just like the smell. Big big notes of bourbon with the vanilla, oak, leather, pepper, nuts, dates and dried figs. Also, the dark chocolate are still there and big, coffee, molasses, big licorice and strangely enough, marshmallows. Light raisins.

M: One of the thickest and biggest imperial stout I ever had. Might even be bigger than ten fidy. I expected an extremely big beer, but I got bigger than this. Carbonation is minimal.

O: This was really really good and everything I expected and more. It sure as hell doesn't have a good drinkability though. Still, the biggest imperial stout I had.

flipper2gv, May 16, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -5.2%

A keg was brought from Chi-Town to a local beer distributor and I drove like a maniac there to fill a growler. The parking lot was something out of a Mad Max movie.
The appearance of this beer always blows me away... Holy brown/black Batman!
Whoa! That's some whiskey on the nose sir! Can't really pick up the stout notes on this one... Too drowned out by the booze.
I'm a whiskey drinker too and never afraid of it but I feel like this batch went too far. Perhaps too long an aging? I never thought I'd say that! Much like the nose, the taste is too overpowered this time by the whiskey. Only very subtle chocolates.
Mouthfeel is perfect though and it sits just long enough. Not too thin or too thick... Very well done.
Overall I e always adored this beer and sought it out. This batch, though, wasn't refined enough for me and lacked the balance I've experienced in the past. Great but not exceptional.

Yagman3000, May 16, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -42.7%

A-Black as night with a tan foam that hangs on
S-Lots of complex aromas-strongest is bourbon, with some vanilla, and some alcohol sting
T-Too heavy on the bourbon/alcohol notes, makes this extremely difficult than give it much more than a sip. Chocolate is noted. A vapor like ethanol bite is also very present.
M-Extremely viscous, mouthfeel is very heavy, a touch slimy/oily
D-Obviously a sipper
O-Too much like a whiskey and not enough like an Imperial stout. I prefer Founders version. It seems like you have to be a whiskey drinker to really appreciate this one.

deebo, May 15, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

Last time I drank this i was crushing it out of the bomber in NYE. I'm gonna appreciate it this time. 09 vintage.

A- comes out of the bottle very dark with with some small transparent areas. Sits black in the snifter with a smaller mocha brown head that. Head quickly goes away and i can already smell it from the table.

S- BIG sweet booze smell. Hints of vanilla and wood along with malt make this smell very nice. Cant wait for it to warm up.

T- Nice big malt profile up front that is followed by tons of complexity. Dark chocolate is noticeable upfront along with spice and dark fruits. Good amount of hops in there as well. Every sip is great and has so many flavors.

M- VERY heavy. Big beer. More stouts should be this thick. Big mouthfeel with light carbonation. better than i remember.

O- Really good. tastes great. I'm gonna pick up another to let sit for a while.

Gushue3, May 14, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Tulip

Pours a think murky black with a decent head, that dissipates quite quickly. It reeks of bourbon, malt, a tiny bit of licorice, and I also got a hint of black pepper. It tastes excellent. Excellent amount of bourbon, excellent amount of malt, excellent amount of chocolate, just excellent. AFter drinking, an oily sheath of BCS is left on the tongue, to enjoy for the next 30 minutes or so. The taste doesn't leave your mouth, and trust me, you don't want it to. In terms of drinkability, the freshest i've had has been a 2010 bottle, and it was extremely drinkable, but I've also an '07 which was even better than any BCS i'd had. Overall excellent brew.

trodersark, May 10, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +2%

This will be a review that gets updated over time. I have bottles of 05-10 and have had it on draft, so, with each new tasting, new notes will be added.

Notes of the 2007 Vintage from a bottle tasted on 3/30/11, from notes.

Poured from the bottle pitch black. Left a thin carmel colored head that slowly develops with the pour and dissipates almost immediately leaving great lacing.

The smell is decidedly bourbon but has hints of vanilla and the oak from the barrel.

Time has done it well. It starts boozy with the bourbon as if it just wants to remind you it was barrel aged because that fades fairly fast as a wash of toffee crosses my mouth. And as that fades this very nice dry chocolate is left in my mouth.

Mouthfeel was surpassingly smooth granted the start of smell and taste with booze. the burn is very light and has just enough carbonation.

I had the opportunity to grab a couple bottles of this vintage recently and really had to restrain myself from drinking them all right away, so good.

2008 vintage had on tap into a small snifter at the Binny's South Loop Tasting. From notes on the night. I did not have all three available 08-10, just the 2008.

Perfect pour, dark as the night, solid head that fades leaving some great lacing.

The smell poring out of this is incredible! Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, toffee, carmel, oak, vanilla. Holy senses overload batman.

This is one of the best I have ever tasted. Everything is so melded together yet separate. Like a well put together dinner course in a meal, all the different flavors reveal themselves at their own times. Bourbon is at the leading line, but is followed by chocolate and vanilla. Like splitting a scoop of Neapolitan ice cream in half. The Oak barrel sneaks in and then is followed by this toffee flavor that just lingers in your mouth forever. Makes drinking it slow easy as you want to enjoy every last bit.

Mouthfeel is superb. Very little burn, the booze is hidden well. It coats my mouth transferring all that flavor. Smooth smooth smooth.

Overall, all I can say is time and time again, I love this beer.

benpopper, May 08, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Tap and Barrel in Smithtown, NY, served in a tulip glass. Unsure as to what the vintage is but probably the most recent one.

Look: I have to give it a five. Black as night body with a one inch, dark brown as could possibly be, creamy head that retains for a few minutes before dwindling down to nothing. No lacing but the glass is stained from the beer. The existence of the head is what surprised me and how good looking it was gives this beer the ultimate look score.

Smell: bourbon, charred oak, roasted barley, alcohol, vanilla and dark brown sugar. Complex as it is in the bottle and just as inviting.

Taste: follows the nose with a big bourbon flavor, vanilla, charred oak, brown sugar and alcohol but its still fairly sweet. A lot going on and all of it is good.

Feel: full bodied, oily, slightly boozy, and just enough carbonation to remind you that this is actually a beer. Definitely a sipper, but that's to be expected from such a large stout.

Overall: this is the most flavorful Budweiser you'll ever have (sorry, had to make that joke). Goose Island claims this is the original spirit aged beer and I don't know if that's true, but this nonetheless is one of the better bourbon barrel aged beers out there. I would definitely give this a try if you can before Budweiser mucks with it. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, May 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2%

2008 poured into a snifter.

A- Jet black. Super thick. Almost no head.

S- Bourbon all the way with a little bit of chocolate and roast malt

T- Amazing. Huge bourbon flavor but not boozy. Few years on the beer really smooths out the bourbon and hotness of fresh bcbs.

M- Thick, viscous, coats one's entire mouth.

O- One of my favorite beers ever. If I could drink one beer only for the rest of my life, it would be hard to turn this one down.

Montrose79, May 07, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -6.3%

So after many years drinking craft beer I decided it's time to start reviewing some of these awesome brews!

2010 Vintage. Bottled 9/24/2010. Thanks to smakawhat for this awesome bottle!

A: Pop the cap with a very nice release sounds like good carbonation. Poured into my great divide tulip. Vigorous pour leads to a third finger head that quickly dissipates to very slight bubbles, minimal lacing on the glass. Beer appears to be pretty thin for an imperial stout. After a minute only paper thin remnants of head are left. Black as night, light does not penetrate this fierce stout.

S: Wow! Tons of vanilla, chocolate, licorice, spice, and oh yeah smells of super strong bourbon! Slight burn on the nose from the alcohol. As it warms get notes of molasses.

T: Smooth...again lots of vanilla and bourbon, some chocolate notes with lots of bite on the back end. The bourbon definitely kicks in on the aftertaste. Absolutely tons of bourbon and alcohol on this stout even after about seven months in the bottle.

M: Leaves an oily, slick feeling on teeth that lasts a long time. Not as heavy and thick as other BA stouts I've had.

O: Overall this is a very good stout but not the best I have ever had. It will be interesting to see how this beer will age over the next few years. After about 5 minutes and a few sips this one definitely has a warming effect on the entire body. With an abv of 13% this one is exceptionally smooth even though it does have a nice bourbon bite. I am a bourbon fan so this really doesn't bother me. Overall a very nice offering from Goose Island. I look forward to visiting this one again in a few months or even years.

slentz, May 05, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +2.4%

2009 vintage, 12oz bottle.

A: Dark as night, only with vigorous pour does small layer of brown head emerge from the darkness.
S: When it warms up, chocolate, roasted malt, a bit of coffee, and bourbon mix
T: Roasted malt, then oak and bourbon, some vanilla
M: Coating, creamy
O/D: Great sipping beer, one 12oz and I'm good. Very nice brew.

jag21, May 04, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours out black and beautiful, creamy, tan head that recedes quickly.

S: Could be the best smelling beer around, bourbon, chocolate malts, vanilla, sweet toffee/caramel, & coffee.

T: Bourbon hits me first, but in a great way, vanilla, roasted caramel & chocolate, coffee, & almost brown sugar, more bourbon

M: thick mouthfeel, creamy, full body, medium carbonation.

O: This is an amazing beer and should be a must try for anyone that likes beer.

buffs9, May 03, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -0.9%

I purchased this beer before A-B purchased Goose Island.

Appearance:
Black, pitch black with light in the room a fond memory. A thin halo of tan bubbles rims my glass, but they are small and provide considerable sticky lacing.

Smell:
Sweet bananas and bourbon sticky sugars. Heavenly, so potently aromatic I had to try some immediately. There are notes of raisin, tobacco, and roasted figs. Incredible pungency and richness. A very dense, inviting beer with an obviously masked ethanol bite from the beer's boasted 13%abv.

Taste:
Incredible. Less words describing the beer is sometimes better. However, I just can't hold back; this beer is a spicy, smooth, chocolaty liquor. There is heavy accenting from the barrel providing a dueling dragon effect between the barrel attributed vanilla and rich stout's chocolaty malts.

Mouthfeel:
Smooth as velvet, full-bodied with bold flavors playing off all 5 senses (yes all 5 of them). I appreciate this beer at both warm and cold temperatures. This is definitely a sipper, but leaves a pleasant sweet/spicy aftertaste...I can't wait long for the next sip. I paired this beer with strawberry fruit leather and popcorn...you don't have to be as fancy as me by any means.

Overall:
I paired this beer with good people, pertinent deadlines now being put off, and some Pandora Radio. Tonight is a good night, and it didn't cost much (approximately $10 a bomber) to get here. This is a cheap beer for all that you're getting in return (13%abv and incredible boldness!!). I am sad that yet another craft brewery sold out to "the man" with money at A-B. However, if this beer is made exactly the same and is cheaper (from more advanced equip, distributing, ect...) I will still be a consumer.

Cheers.

ThePorterSorter, Apr 30, 2011
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.