Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 1,778
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
ndekke39

4.03/5  rDev -12%

Split a 12 oz bottle of the Bourbon County Stout. Bottled on 10/21/08. Batch number (?) 0807.

Pours a very slick and syrupy thick. Completely black, with a tan foamy head. Good retention on the head.

Smells are biting, with sweetness and alcohol at the forefront: molasses, maple syrup, again the alcohol. A little overwhelming.

Flavors are the same: big chewy mouth of molasses and syrup, balanced by a very slight bitterness. Definite bite from the alcohol. Still, this is pleasantly enjoyable.

Fairly thick mouthfeel, appropriate to the style.

You have to drink this slowly, because you can really feel that 13% ABV. Glad I split the bottle. But overall it's delicious - works best as a dessert, I think.

05-22-2010 12:53:08 | More by ndekke39
beerhan

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

Aroma of dark chocolate, cream, raisins and sweet bourbon, tastes like liqueur chocolates, one of my favorites snacks of all time. I am impressed a great deal by this beer. The alcohol is masked well but I can feel it inside me. I was expecting this to be one of the darkest beers but this is a beautiful dark chocolately brown color. After I rinsed my bottle out I realized the residue left was still darker than most beers even though this was dilluted probably one to five hundred. I feel like I am sipping bourbon and chasing it with chocolate. Fantastic stout.

05-22-2010 01:20:53 | More by beerhan
Poorpatz

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%

I opened the bottle and lifted the opening to my nose. The smells coming from inside are delicious
first is a semi-sweet choclate smell mixed with a soft coffee aroma. My wife's first reaction was to say "MMMM". I then poured the bottle into an oversized wine glass and held it to the light the color is true blackout black, there is no sign of the light on the other side of the glass. A small brownish tinged head formed but dissapeted quickly, a little lacing but not much. My first sip immediatley I thought of that dark choclate candy that my grandmother used to carry around with her, it was choclate laced with a slight peppery flavor very rich. The acohol is noticable as I thought of some fine moonshine. I sipped my beer for about an hour and didn't finish as the beer is very filling and rich. I think ideally this is a good beer to share with someone else. Overall I enjoyed it. I will be looking forward to haveing another. Also would like to see how this ages. The brewery suggests Five years on the bottle.

05-18-2010 16:18:17 | More by Poorpatz
simpliciter

4.08/5  rDev -10.9%

A - a typical stout; a thin tan head over clear dark pour.

S - deeply chocolatey nose, with obvious foreshadowing of the bourbon flavor to come.

T - opens with a huge chocolate truffle fudge flavor, then fades into the bourbon. hints of coffee. chocolate covered espresso beans soaked in bourbon. finishes clean but with a hot alcohol burn in the back of the throat.

M - coats lightly. seems too light, but something heavier might be overwhelming? difficult to balance this much flavor with an appropriate texture.

D - pair with peppery beef or try for dessert.

05-17-2010 00:07:01 | More by simpliciter
jones3aj

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

(From notes)

Chilled bottle poured into a glass.

Bought this bottle of 2007 Bourbon County Brand Stout on 5/14/10. I'd be really interested to compare this to the 2008 and 2009 varieties to see how it ages.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with absolutely no head. (Bottle described it as having a thick head, so I assume this is the result of oxidation.) A very fine ring of reddish tan circumvented the interior of the glass.

Smell: The maltiness of this beer jumps right out at you from the second you pop the cap. Noted in order: Malty, Alcohol, Coffee, Chocolate, Smokey, Vanilla (after reaching room temperature).

Taste: Once again, fantastic maltiness. A mouthful of the darkest cacao beans you can find. Smokiness fills the palate from front to back. As should be expected from 13%, there is an alcoholic bite that lasts well into your second or third exhalation. I had hoped for more powerful bourbon notes , but wasn't disappointed with their absence. Smoke and chocolate flavors intensify as the beer warms, and you'll even find hints of vanilla strolling amongst the complexity of this beast.

Mouthfeel: Excellent experience as the smooth and creamy nature of this beer clashes with the strong burn of alcohol on your tongue and in the back of your throat!

Drinkability: Excellent choice. Lived up to what my mind had decided it 'should' be. You probably wouldn't want to do more than one of these by yourself. After one, you'll find your ability to detect taste, smell, and most other senses will be thoroughly... altered!

05-16-2010 05:46:59 | More by jones3aj
33nickadams

4.2/5  rDev -8.3%

a- Poured with no head, it reminded me of pouring a glass of coke! Pitch black and thick.

s- Slight smell of bourbon, first smell gave a chill up my spine.

t- Slightly sweet, bourbon was not really too strong, which surprised me, based on the smell

m- not much carbonation, leaves the mouth a little dry

d- very good beer, but I would probably only drink one at a time

Overall, very good beer. I would like to be patient enough to wait to see what it would be like after a year or so of developing.

05-15-2010 01:58:42 | More by 33nickadams
robobor

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured thick and viscous from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Very, very dark brown with the only suggestions of color coming through the stream between bottle and glass. A finger and a half of head the color of cocoa powder, which disappeared within seconds. Immediately I smell bourbon, chocolate and vanilla. I have never smelled a beer like this before. Taste is bourbon sweet, vanilla and chocolate, the chocolate almost identical to some candy I remember my grandmother giving me when I was a kid. Mouthfeel is smooth, heavy and tingling from both the alcohol and a bit of carbonation. I actually give this higher marks than I would have thought on drinkability, but I should point out that it took me two hours to finish 12 ounces.

This beer definitely lived up to my expectations and was far and away more unique than I could have imagined. Truly exceptional.

05-11-2010 04:06:38 | More by robobor
divineaudio

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz bottle into a snifter. bottled on 1/14/10.

pours a thick, greasy dark brown to black. only gave me a thin ring of dark brown head and no lace, but i'll forgive them a little due to the high abv.

the smell alone is intoxicating! i'm getting roasted malt, brown sugar, smoke, oak, herbal hops and glorious booze. taste follows, and adds notes of coffee, vanilla and a slight alcohol astringency. has a dessert like sweetness to it, and i would love to have a gelato made with this. there is some bitterness on the sides of the tongue, but it seems to come more from the alcohol than the hops. finish is long and sweet, and the flavor becomes much fuller as it warms up.

body is chewy and thick with a nice creaminess and a bit of alcohol warming.

this is definitely a slow sipper, and one bottle should last you all night. gonna have to get more of this for cellaring, i bet it mellows out splendidly.

05-11-2010 02:18:00 | More by divineaudio
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle, 2008 vintage, pours a viscous jet black with minimal head which quickly settles down to even less.

This is a super rich, sweet dessert beer. Loads of bourbon in the nose and taste but I feel is has mellowed a bit and integrated a little better than fresh, super sweet, chocolate cake and vanilla, just a hint of cinnamon and wood off the barrel as well. A decent roast that is enveloped by the other qualities, could us a little more to give a bit of dryness to the finish and some balance. Super slick and thick mouthfeel, sulks through the mouth. Just delightful to drink with with dessert or as a nightcap, hides the ABV relatively well for such a big beer. Should just keep on getting better, yum!

05-10-2010 17:50:57 | More by ritzkiss
Stacy53

4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

Goose Island- Bourbon County Band Stout- Bottled on: 11/12/09

Aged under a year, only 6 months

A- Black and thick, very thin brown caramel head that down not stay around for long.

S- Strong warm boozy bourbon, with a rich dark chocolate smell. This beer's smell was hard for me to identify.

T- Sweet chocolate, smoky, and creamy. The taste is so great it is almost indescribable.

M- Thick HUGE Beer, and still it is very lightly carbonated and smooth.

D- Again, very smooth yet still a slow sipper to saver this outstanding beer.

Today is my 25th birthday and this was the perfect beer to savor and enjoy for this day. I have two more bottles of this and I am going to age them for a few more years to see what comes of these flavors!

05-10-2010 16:39:52 | More by Stacy53
DovaliHops

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Lucky to find this at Vendome in Toluca Lake, CA. They had two vintage 2008s just chillin in the back. The appearance is BLACK and VERY minimal head. I poured this very aggressively, and the head was still very minimal. The smell is SUPER sweet, and not a chocolatey or coffee sweet. This is WAY different than any other Imperial Stout I've ever had. The taste is very sweet with a smokey taste that hits the back of the palate. Strong Bourbon taste which makes this the thing that stands out with this HUGE beer! Even though the carbonation is very minimal, it still drinks very well. This would be great as a dessert after a light dinner. This is very rich, so I don't think I could have more than 1 in a single sitting, but it is 1 that is WELL WORTH IT!

05-10-2010 07:08:33 | More by DovaliHops
drumhaggart

1.88/5  rDev -59%

A - Black. Minimal coffee-colored head that dissipated rapidly

S - Bourbon. Overwhelmingly bourbon. Nothing but bourbon

T - Bourbon. Strong bourbon

M - Smooth. Carbonation seemed just about right

D - I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish this bottle.

This tastes to me like stout-flavored bourbon. I like bourbon. When I was younger, bourbon was my mixed drink of choice. I do not, however, find this mixture appealing (in any way, shape or form). If you want the same taste (at less cost), just mix Ten High half and half with Guinness.

Apparently a large number of folks find this appealing. I am not one of them.

Edit: In all fairness, this beer had only been in the bottle for 5 months. Another year of aging could have an effect on my opinion, but it is unlikely to make me love this beer. If I wanted bourbon, I would have bought bourbon.

05-10-2010 03:38:34 | More by drumhaggart
Kallessin

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours pitch black with dark brown around the edges. Very brief fizzle of dark cocoa head that's gone in an instant and leaves a ring around of the glass.

Has a sweet boozy aroma with notes of oak and vanilla with some malty chocolate, caramel, a whiff of dark fruits and some smoky undertones. Really amazing.

Very rich flavor of smoky malt with vanilla, caramel and sweet chocolate. It's fairly boozy (but not hot or solvent-like), which comes across as fruitiness and a wonderful oak character that plays very well off the sweet and smoky malt.

It's full bodied and amazingly smooth with a nice warming sensation. Very mouth coating and leaves a sweet stickiness.

This is truly an amazing beer with huge rich flavors and spectacular aroma. Despite the high ABV, it still manages to be very smooth and easy to drink. The booze is obvious but very well tamed.

05-09-2010 15:34:10 | More by Kallessin
thepeter

United Kingdom (England)

3.95/5  rDev -13.8%

Another big thanks to TenderMorsel for bringing this one over for me try.

A - Pours a pitch black with a caramel colored head that fades quickly to a decent lacing

S - Bourbon, vanilla, dark brown sugar, reminder me of an overly sweet breakfast cereal for adults

T - (In no particular order) Chocolate, vanilla, burnt brown sugar, Oak, slight smoke, the warmth of alcohol throughout

M/D - Very smooth and creamy, definitely a sipper

Very well crafted but a little too sweet for me, which is crazy as this would have been my favorite beer back a few years ago. I do see what all the fuss is about though.

05-09-2010 09:53:42 | More by thepeter
scottyb88

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -11.6%

A- pours pitch black with a gold head that disappeared fairly soon

S-bourbon, wood smokiness, dark chocolate with espresso

T-much of the same as the smell, the bourbon flavor is more subtle after a few months of resting; definite dark chocolate notes at the end

M-very smooth and creamy with medium carbonation; helps cut the high alcohol

D-its intense but for 13% it is very well hidden; fresh bcs was a bit much for me with the bourbon flavor but after a couple of months it was much nicer; a year or two on this beer would probably be amazing

05-07-2010 23:09:59 | More by scottyb88
AdamGarcia

4.03/5  rDev -12%

2007 vintage. Thanks to Brian23456!!!

Poured into SN 30th chalice.

A: Pours black as night with no light getting through. Very little carbonation. Virtually no head forms from a semi-aggressive pour and only a thin ring of bubbles remain. The high level of viscosity is visually noticeable. Despite the high abv and age of this beer, I'm just a little nervous about the apparent lack of carbonation.

S: Subdued. Alcohol first and foremost. Oak...and guess what, bourbon. A little vanilla, just a hint of honey. Some dark fruit. Caramel. Had to search a bit, but the scent is interesting and complex.

T: Big and boozy. I've never had a young BCS, but a couple of years hasn't done much to soften the heat..but at 13% it doesn't feel out of place. After the booze I'm getting a lot of chocolate and caramel...Milky Way anyone? Oak comes through mid palate and the bourbon is ever present. Huge flavor just jumps out of the glass. Flavor is a little less intriguing that I expected.

M: This was surprising to me. There was ample carbonation that wasn't apparent initially, which was a plus. On the other hand, the mouthfeel was not as viscous as the initial appearance would have suggested. I expected this beer to be bigger in the mouthfeel, more viscous.

D: This beer is delicious. At 13% this drinks how it should. I dont' necessarily desire another, but over the course of an evening I could see myself having maybe two 12oz btls over 3 or 4 hours.

My first BCS and it was very good. Expectations hindered my enjoyment of this beer slightly. Luckily I've got an '08 and '09 to compare this to sometime in the future. Great beer.

05-07-2010 20:44:42 | More by AdamGarcia
tigg924

2.68/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance: minimal head, black in color, opaque

Smell: big oak, whiskey, molasses, some toasted malt

Taste: big oak, whiskey, molasses, chocolate, cookie dough

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, semi-sweet

Drinkability: This one is not my cup of tea, although it is certainly worth trying. I think that the oak taste overpowers the stout. The actual chocolate cookie part of the stout I like. If this was a bit less oaky, I would get this again, but for my taste the flavors did not blend as well as I would have hoped.

05-07-2010 20:10:25 | More by tigg924
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.38/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured in to a tulip.

A: This beer is black. Doesn't matter how many lumens, candles or however you measure light intensity, it'll take a weapons grade laser to pierce this murk. The mocha head is quite ephemeral and quickly dwindles to a select grouping of tiny bubbles that ring the glass.

S: This smells delicious. Dark fruit, moist dark chocolate cake, some soy sauce, tendrils of alcohol and tobacco mostly.

T: My, this is a creamy one. The dark fruits mix up with semi-sweet fudginess (apparently not a word) and some heat enters in to the equation towards the end. Some of that sauce is mixed in there but hey, it's a party and quite a few invites were sent out.

M: This is a luxurious beer. Thick like half and half and silky like little someones are stroking my tongue. The carbonation is quite muted and I respect that.

D: Well, the last 12 oz bottle took 2 hours to polish off and considering I have an exam tomorrow, this'll be the only brew tonight. I am prematurely treating myself and deem this a rewarding brew.

05-07-2010 02:05:39 | More by Lazerlobe
ghostwalker

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

2006 Vintage. Marked as 11% on the 12 oz bottle, differing from the BA listing.

Appearance is dead, dark, deep black with one finger of dark reddish-tan head. Truly beautiful and rather unique looking.

Nose is smoky, bitter, leathery, roasted, carmelized sugar, boozy, woody and burnt cherry. Intense, but a bit harsh.

Flavor is boozy and intense, but smooth. Dark magic in a glass. The bourbon barrel goodness is there, and really comes out as it warms, but the solid foundation of double stout is what makes it great. All the things mentioned for smell are there in the flavor, but mellowed and somehow gentler. It has layers of flavor, a definite sipper to savor. I love this beer.

Mouthfeel is chewy and thick. Satisfies with every bite. How do they get this much viscosity?

Drinkability is very high for 11%. Boozy, but not bitter or hard to swallow.

Outstanding!

05-04-2010 07:02:28 | More by ghostwalker
dasenebler

Maine

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

2009-labeled 12oz. bottle packaged on 1/14/10 (?).

Pours a deep dark hue, though there is definitely some ruby translucence as the thick freakness comes out of the bottle. No head, no lacing. The color is nice; the other attributes, not so much.

Aroma is huge and reeks of bourbon: big oakiness, alcohol and vanilla. To be honest, the usual "stout" aromas are outdone by those produced by the barrel aging and whiskey character.

Flavor is awesome and huge. This is definitely one of the best bourbon-barrel stouts available. The woody and buttery bourbon flavors are by no means shy, and the beer tastes like there is actually a shot or two of top-notch bourbon hiding in there. More sweet than dry. The finish is decidedly stout-like, with huge roasty, chocolately tones mixing with a super-warming alcohol presence. This is an exquisite beer, though I could see it being too hot for some. Mouthfeel matches the flavor in boldness-- slick and syrupy.

You, sir, are a delight!

05-04-2010 02:18:42 | More by dasenebler
tmgiddings

4.1/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle from Crown Liquors #6 - 2007 (Aged 2 years). Pours black with next to no carbonation. Lots of mollasses and chocolate on the nose. The taste is complex to say the least- mollasses, chocolate, licorice, soy sauce, coffee, and a hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is nothing but oil. Bottle - 2009. Pours Black with a thin, wispy head. Mollasses and alcohol dominate the aroma. Loads of chocolate and alchohol flavor with hints of toffee, soy sauce, and coffee. Mouthfeel is extremely oily but creamy.

05-04-2010 00:06:52 | More by tmgiddings
yeahnatenelson

4.22/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance - Pours a jet black with a sliver of dark tan head that quickly dissolves into a dirty halo.

Smell - Bourbon, oak, chocolate, and toasty malts. Bourbon is definitely dominates the bouquet.

Taste - The bourbon is very pronounced, and if the beer is too cold, it dominates the taste. As the beer gets a little closer to room temperature the beer becomes more balanced and a lot of other good stuff comes out: chocolate and biscuity malts, charred oak, a welcomed hop bitterness; the beer becomes more balanced.

Mouthfeel - It's heavy on the palate and quite as syrupy. A pleasant amount of carbonation. The finish is quite warm - warms all the way down. This is a "hot" beer to be sure.

Drinkability - I have to say this is an interesting and complicated beer. In my first experience with this beer I was overwhelmed - and put off - by the bourbon, but after successive tastings I've taken a shine to it. I'd imagine a year or two in the cellar would do this beer some good, but it's still an exceptional beer fresh. Easily Goose Island's most exciting brands.

05-03-2010 03:12:28 | More by yeahnatenelson
herman77

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Blacker than black. Brownish head that dies off within a minute. Lacing slides away instantly after each sip. Its so thick that it actually leaves a film on the side of the glass and "legs" almost develop.

S: Big Bourbon! Vanilla beans and bittersweet chocolate.

*just had the 2011 version and wow. Changing taste score to a 5. Not nearly as sweet and boozy as I remember the 2009.
T: Tons of bourbon flavor right off the bat. Its like someone poured a few ounces of bourbon and topped it off with a rich stout and mixed it together. Very sweet, a touch too much actually. The woody/oak flavors from the bourbon barrel is very apparent. Dark fruits, vanilla and bittersweet chocolate are also present, but more so in the background since the bourbon flavor is the strong-arm here. Very long vanilla and alcohol finish, you can tell this stout is very very strong. If the sweetness and alcohol burn were dialed back a bit, this would easily be a 5.

M/D: Very full body, thick and chewy. Velvety feel since its so damn thick. There is some fine carbonation present that adds to the smooth mouthfeel. No doubt, a sipper. Drinkability is average at best since you can feel the alcohol burn with each sip. I would like to try this with some more age on it, bottle stats that it was bottled on 11/12/09.

05-02-2010 02:20:19 | More by herman77
pasdachuri

3.85/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours an opaque darker than Wesley Snipes. Holds a creamy dark brown head with good retention.

Strong black licorice aroma, followed by an alcohol presence and then some more black licorice.

Flavor follows the nose with black licorice and dried fruit up front with a little vanilla, oak, and plenty of malt. The bourbon makes its presence felt throughout.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Creamy and silky smooth - very full bodied.

I don't believe dirnkability is a fair category for this beer. Although it is a VERY well developed stout it strong alcohol presence and high ABV make this a one and done brew.

04-30-2010 14:43:39 | More by pasdachuri
Spica66

4.03/5  rDev -12%

A - Extremely dark. Very thin, dark caramel head- short lived.

S - It smells mildly boozy. Not very complex. Sort of "flat" on any special notes.

T - Very mellow. Bourbon dominates, but it does taste like a fine stout after all is said and done...

M - Very silky. Everything fits in just nice.

D - Needs to be sipped. Overpowering sweetness and alcohol burn get to me after half a glass. One bottle= 2 people I would say.

Not as much coffee taste as Kentucky Breakfast Stout (I much prefer the KBS).. I am going to lay this down in the cellar for a few years to see if it mellows at all...

04-28-2010 01:56:27 | More by Spica66
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.